Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Personally I don't understand the point of somewhat higher salaries, if a random snakebite or other malady would slam you with a bill that's worth years and years of income -- in case the insurance company (if any) finds a way to weasel out of paying. It's like the healthcare costs in the US operate at not one, but two orders of magnitude higher than the world everyone else lives in.

(As it happens I'm currently at (paid) sick leave for hurting my foot while jogging, and the ordeal with x-rays and stuff cost me 5€ for the prescription anti-inflammation medicine; even as an IT professional, that's nice)

pigdog fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

pigdog posted:

Personally I don't understand the point of somewhat higher salaries, if a random snakebite or other malady would slam you with a bill that's worth years and years of income -- in case the insurance company (if any) finds a way to weasel out of paying. It's like the healthcare costs in the US operate at not one, but two orders of magnitude higher than the world everyone else lives in.

(As it happens I'm currently at (paid) sick leave for hurting my foot while jogging, and the ordeal with x-rays and stuff cost me 5€ for the prescription anti-inflammation medicine; even as an IT professional, that's nice)

I think insurance companies getting out of paying is vastly overstated as you only hear about the cases where it happens and not every other case where everything is fine. Excluding that it's pretty much impossible to have to pay years of income for medical bills as the max out of pocket pear year is capped, numbers I've seen range between $5k and $10k. Not saying that the US system is good, but if you have insurance I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Blotto Skorzany posted:

and I'm sure the Italian media plays up these stories

No, not really, Italian media is very narrow-minded and navel-gazing. The only foreign news it cares about is "How China will take over the world, one convenience store at the time", "Our friends the Russian and how we don't want to anger them", "How much India sucks (but this sudden interest in India has nothing to do with the Italian marines they're detaining for firing on a fishing boat, honest)", "The brown hordes and how Europe is forcing us to take care of them", etc.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Unless you have a chronic condition that somehow disqualifies you from your employer's health plan, healthcare costs would probably not kill you given the typical employer subsidy.

I've worked for a Swiss company for a while (the Swiss welfare system, from retirement funds to healthcare, is heavily if not exclusively based on private insurance companies), and I already know that I do. I have psoriatic arthritis, which is inherited, chronic, degenerative and has no known cure, and my Swiss insurer (it's mandatory even if you are a foreigner) wrote back to tell me that they specifically don't cover that

Now, the treatment is pretty cheap, a few pills once a week and a vitamin supplement (which I pay a nominal sum of €1/pack, since it's covered by public healthcare), but I have to take regular follow-up visits, blood exams, X-rays, MRIs, etc. Now, Italian public healthcare covers follow-up visits and X-rays fully, blood exams partially, and there's a hard cap of €60 for each prescription, so that's what I pay for an MRI (the hospital's invoice reveals that the full price is over €200). I shudder to think how much money I would have sunk into it if I had been born in the USA, especially when the arthritis first showed up in acute form and I had to undergo emergency treatment (cortisone daily) for a few months, not to mention the huge batch of X-rays and blood exams to ascertain the damage I had already taken and what fun opportunistic infections I could risk getting once I was on immunodepressants

This is not even mentioning the hormone replacement therapy that may yet make me into a beautiful goonette :wink:, which our public healthcare only covers in that it doesn't specifically forbid it, so I a legal male can get a prescription for girl pills provided I pay full price (and as far as I can tell, Italian "full price" is like a tenth of USA full price)

Blotto Skorzany posted:

if I were single my costs would be $150/mo

Jesus

Blotto Skorzany posted:

On a typical year where I don't run up any significant medical expenses, I spend $5640 (470*12) on health care.

Harold

Blotto Skorzany posted:

If I run up a massive bill from some grievous trauma that leaves me or my wife or child in a full body cast with a catheter for a month, my family's health care expenses for the year are $9640.

Christ.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Most MicroGoogeBookAzon-ish large software companies have significantly better plans. Microsoft famously had an all-expenses-paid employee health insurance program until the recent health care reforms, and their employees still pay close to nothing for health care.

I don't know how many piano tuners are in NYC so I doubt I could get in on that one

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 23, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hackbunny posted:

I have psoriatic arthritis

Well it looks like if you moved now you'd be OK http://www.psoriasis.org/health-care-law-and-you

quote:

Essential Benefits

Health plans must cover essential health benefits that include: chronic disease management, prescription drugs, and preventive and wellness services.

For whatever that's worth. Some states require coverage for gender reassignment, too.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Wardende posted:

got a new one, up to $120!!!

Yeah!!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Munkeymon posted:

Well it looks like if you moved now you'd be OK http://www.psoriasis.org/health-care-law-and-you

T-thanks, Obama...? Sooo, how long before the affordable care act is repealed? :v:

But this is interesting, thanks

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Curious, any New Zealand goons got the inside scoop on NZ salaries?

Having trouble finding any solid info on the web.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
My salary appears to be near the median - but I live in a paradise tropical island tax haven so no income tax. :cool:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Senso posted:

My salary appears to be near the median - but I live in a paradise tropical island tax haven so no income tax. :cool:

just a second here: "Death and Taxes" is supposed to be the fundamental absolute truth of life. Are you saying that you eliminated "Taxes" from the equation? When are you gonna eliminate the second?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Volguus posted:

just a second here: "Death and Taxes" is supposed to be the fundamental absolute truth of life. Are you saying that you eliminated "Taxes" from the equation? When are you gonna eliminate the second?

Oh I tackled that first, it was by far the easiest of the two. Immortality was quite simple but a work permit in the Cayman Islands, not so much.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

With the drop in the canadian dollar against the us dollar over the last year do you think it's reasonable to be asking for a premium to negotiate a canadian dollar salary if you're based in canada? Asking for a friend.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

With the drop in the canadian dollar against the us dollar over the last year do you think it's reasonable to be asking for a premium to negotiate a canadian dollar salary if you're based in canada? Asking for a friend.

I recommend Moving to the Bay Area for you, tdeficit.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

I recommend Moving to the Bay Area for you, tdeficit.

it'd probably take like a quarter mil per to get me in the bay area full time. let me know if you've got any openings

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

it'd probably take like a quarter mil per to get me in the bay area full time. let me know if you've got any openings
Between salary+bonus+stock that's what a senior engineer makes at Google according to glassdoor. How experienced are you?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Cicero posted:

Between salary+bonus+stock that's what a senior engineer makes at Google according to glassdoor. How experienced are you?

not nearly enough for google to hire me at that level

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The market in London seems pretty garbage right now compared to the COL. There doesn't seem to be much difference in wages between in and out of central areas, but the rent more than doubles

return0
Apr 11, 2007
I know a bunch of people in London who work in software, split 3 ways between finance in the city, games places in the satellite towns and general apps/mobile places. It seems that finance (from small quant startups to big multinationals like Bloomberg) make loadsamoney (~£90-100k doesn't seem uncommon), while the others don't make nearly enough for COL. Like as in so bad I make more than some of them and I live in Scotland.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Man... I apparently need to find a new job. Only problem is getting someone to sponsor the visa.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

return0 posted:

I know a bunch of people in London who work in software, split 3 ways between finance in the city, games places in the satellite towns and general apps/mobile places. It seems that finance (from small quant startups to big multinationals like Bloomberg) make loadsamoney (~£90-100k doesn't seem uncommon), while the others don't make nearly enough for COL. Like as in so bad I make more than some of them and I live in Scotland.

The games industry is notoriously poo poo for pay, though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I work as a developer for a small development company (about 20 people, 3/4 or so are employed in developer roles) in the north of England. I've been here for 11 months (no prior paid development experience) and am still on my starting salary of £25,000. I'm expecting to have my pay reviewed in the next couple of months. What is a ballpark amount I should be expecting? The company seems reasonably happy with my performance; I have gained familiarity with, and contributed to, two of the major ongoing projects here (one C++, one a mixture of C++ and .net) and they have just indicated to me that they are going to get me involved as one of two people on an interesting new project that is quite important for the company. Bear in mind that costs of living are quite cheap here compared to the rest of the country, and the pay won't be London/south-east England levels.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

Hammerite posted:

What is a ballpark amount I should be expecting?

Shop your resume around to other companies in the area and find out how much you're worth, then see if you can use that knowledge to work on your salary at your current position. Personally, I think you should try to get your company to go up to 35,000 pounds (~55,000 USD).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

$85K AUD. I used to be able to pull around $130K until the economy shat the bed, and significantly more than that (but erratically) when self employed. On a good week of self employment I was pulling nearly $5K a week, although taxes sliced out a BIG chunk of that. At that point I was literally going to buy a giant yacht to live on. Then reality kicked in and I realised that I was spending 2/3 of my time not on contracts and the $260K was really more close to about $90K (Self employment sucks)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 22, 2015

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp

Hammerite posted:

I work as a developer for a small development company (about 20 people, 3/4 or so are employed in developer roles) in the north of England. I've been here for 11 months (no prior paid development experience) and am still on my starting salary of £25,000. I'm expecting to have my pay reviewed in the next couple of months. What is a ballpark amount I should be expecting? The company seems reasonably happy with my performance; I have gained familiarity with, and contributed to, two of the major ongoing projects here (one C++, one a mixture of C++ and .net) and they have just indicated to me that they are going to get me involved as one of two people on an interesting new project that is quite important for the company. Bear in mind that costs of living are quite cheap here compared to the rest of the country, and the pay won't be London/south-east England levels.

Ha, in my first job job as a developer I was given £15k a year. There was only me and one other graduate and we had to make all our software from scratch. We built new tech for the company and they paid us poo poo. We had one of the most challenging roles to do and they paid us a combined amount of £30k a year living in the midlands. For our pay review we got a push up to £20k each and were made to feel grateful for it.

One of my managers told me he pays people what he thinks they are worth. If they leave and earn more, then he'll admit he was wrong. But he still paid poo poo.

So I wouldn't expect too much of a rise. If your lucky, maybe 30. But expect around £27 - 28k. Plus with the higher wage, a greater expectation will placed upon you.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I'm confused about what exactly I should be putting into the "What is the Consumer Price Index of the city you live in as compared to NYC?" field and the one after it. Am I putting in the CPI as quoted on my city's page, or is there some value on the comparison page that I'm supposed to put in? For the record, this is the comparison page: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Australia&city1=New+York%2C+NY&city2=Hobart Which of those values am I supposed to be using?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

The Wizard of Poz posted:

I'm confused about what exactly I should be putting into the "What is the Consumer Price Index of the city you live in as compared to NYC?" field and the one after it. Am I putting in the CPI as quoted on my city's page, or is there some value on the comparison page that I'm supposed to put in? For the record, this is the comparison page: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Australia&city1=New+York%2C+NY&city2=Hobart Which of those values am I supposed to be using?

Near the bottom of that page, there is a summary bar graph where NYC's bar has the value 100. If you hover over your city's bar, you'll get a numeric value that represents the CPI of your city normalized to that of NYC (91.16 for Hobart when I load that page).

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I've gotten some traction and am currently interviewing for a position in San Francisco :woop:

I'm doing great for my area, but FIIK what is actually sane, good, or what I should expect after some haggling for the Bay area - or even what offer I should just say yes to! I've heard from a friend that it's not worth going for less than 110K/yr. Is this something the thread would agree with?

For background, I'm a full stack web dev with ~3 years experience, and it's a devops position.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Space Whale posted:

I've gotten some traction and am currently interviewing for a position in San Francisco :woop:

I'm doing great for my area, but FIIK what is actually sane, good, or what I should expect after some haggling for the Bay area - or even what offer I should just say yes to! I've heard from a friend that it's not worth going for less than 110K/yr. Is this something the thread would agree with?

For background, I'm a full stack web dev with ~3 years experience, and it's a devops position.

Try this thing out:

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

It's obviously not perfect, but it should give you a quick idea. I apparently shouldn't take a job in SF unless it's paying $140k+.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Bognar posted:

Try this thing out:

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

It's obviously not perfect, but it should give you a quick idea. I apparently shouldn't take a job in SF unless it's paying $140k+.

If this accounts for state income tax as much as just good ole costs of living, $120K would be a good even break point for me.

Does that account for state income tax? Playing around with a basic calculator online gives 9127.56/year in just state income tax, not accounting for deductions.

poo poo.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Space Whale posted:

Does that account for state income tax?

I looked around but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. The categories it lists are Groceries, Housing, Utilities, Transportation, and Health Care - no mention of taxes so my best guess is they aren't accounting for it.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
$120K/yr with a single deduction means you'd owe California ~6.5K a year. My god I'm really considering income tax in the six figure range :stare:

But, eh, just throw on another 10K and use it as more negotiation leverage I suppose.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Space Whale posted:

it depends where you live now and what kind of standard of living you expect but a pretty basic 1br apartment in san francisco is going to eat up ~35-50k of your salary. at $110k i'd find it tough to enjoy my living situation and meet savings goals. if i were unemployed i'd start to consider relocating at about $150k probably. as for what you can get it probably depends on the company and your experience. $120k-150k is achievable if you're good

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

it depends where you live now and what kind of standard of living you expect but a pretty basic 1br apartment in san francisco is going to eat up ~35-50k of your salary. at $110k i'd find it tough to enjoy my living situation and meet savings goals. if i were unemployed i'd start to consider relocating at about $150k probably. as for what you can get it probably depends on the company and your experience. $120k-150k is achievable if you're good

When people throw around numbers like this, are you considering total comp or just salary? I would have expected salary + stock grants to be 200-220k for anyone with a few years experience in the Bay Area.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: nm

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 31, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Bay Area update: nothing, not a yes, not a no, just nothing. Welp.

I can always keep looking, and I am, but being far away is making this harder than it should be. OTOH, moving myself over there without a job is a huge risk and would require a lot of saving up to not result in couch surfing and possibly missing payments on my car. Oh, and getting in default on student loans.

How do you impress upon people you're actually serious about getting out to work, and quickly for that matter? I keep hearing "eehhhh but you're not local" and I'm not sure how to tell someone "you gently caress, I live in Florida, would YOU stay here?" without being rude about it. I'm getting more attention from places in Austin and Denver, ffs - I thought the Bay was a lot hotter.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Space Whale posted:

Bay Area update: nothing, not a yes, not a no, just nothing. Welp.

I can always keep looking, and I am, but being far away is making this harder than it should be. OTOH, moving myself over there without a job is a huge risk and would require a lot of saving up to not result in couch surfing and possibly missing payments on my car. Oh, and getting in default on student loans.

How do you impress upon people you're actually serious about getting out to work, and quickly for that matter? I keep hearing "eehhhh but you're not local" and I'm not sure how to tell someone "you gently caress, I live in Florida, would YOU stay here?" without being rude about it. I'm getting more attention from places in Austin and Denver, ffs - I thought the Bay was a lot hotter.

Denver and Seattle salaries are close to SF and are a thousand times more livable. The Bay is hot in part because lots of people who can afford to leave do so

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Do you particularly want to live in SF for a reason other than "it's where the tech jobs are"?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I like the climate, wildlife, redwoods, and have friends there. Real seafood and asian ethnic cuisine is also a draw. I also look like a cross of both mythbusters. OTOH I'm sure any other city worth moving to has most of those things, though obviously Denver is flat and largely treeless, and Seattle isn't quite as close to redwoods IIRC.

That's really all just window dressing, though. Primarily I want the gently caress out of Florida.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
I just moved my family to SF (despite the high rents) from Dallas about 10 months ago. In that amount of time I've met more people serious about their craft and done more networking than I did in the ~8 years I spent in DFW. I've also been personally recognized for my efforts to a much greater degree (not that I'm a genius or close to it). Tech talks happen weekly here and 100 developers will show up (and if you attend the right ones they're not veiled recruiting events.) Meetups have 20-50 people show instead of a pathetic 3. I've also found a ton of cool chill people who aren't the stereotypical douche-bro tech kid and a lot of startups actively screen for that bullshit.

If you want to meet really smart awesome developers you should be here. If you ever want to start your own company some day you should get here and start networking. Are those things impossible somewhere else? Certainly not. But the odds are much greater here in SF.

Side note: it's not as easy to raise kids here in SF but it isn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be before we moved.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
And since I've made my last post, stepdad comes through with "Oh hey we do have a place to crash in Seattle. An old flame in Snohomish will let us all stay until we get jobs," and my remaining sister finally decides it's worth leaving here once she gets her diploma two weeks from Friday.

WELP.

What's a good 3 year/midlevel full stack .NET with knockout.js&jQuery/AngularJS salary to haggle towards or ask for in the region?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Space Whale posted:

And since I've made my last post, stepdad comes through with "Oh hey we do have a place to crash in Seattle. An old flame in Snohomish will let us all stay until we get jobs," and my remaining sister finally decides it's worth leaving here once she gets her diploma two weeks from Friday.

WELP.

What's a good 3 year/midlevel full stack .NET with knockout.js&jQuery/AngularJS salary to haggle towards or ask for in the region?

Combine http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-expectation-out-of-each-software-engineering-level-at-Facebook and http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Facebook-Salaries-E40772.htm and it looks like you should shoot for http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Facebook-Software-Engineer-IV-Salaries-E40772_D_KO9,29.htm

• Locked thread