Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So common consensus is those numbers are pretty accurate? I'm a smooth $20k under their lowest in the range after modifiers which seems crazy to me because I felt like I was doing alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geera
May 20, 2003
The salary add-ons seem pretty high to me. I feel like if I went to HR and asked for a 17% raise "because I have Cisco and Linux skills", I'd get laughed out of the office.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Necc0 posted:

So common consensus is those numbers are pretty accurate? I'm a smooth $20k under their lowest in the range after modifiers which seems crazy to me because I felt like I was doing alright.

Same here. I have a hard time believing these numbers. For Software Engineers, the range in San Diego is $113k - $173k, but Glassdoor lists $66k - $128k. In the last two years I've looked at hundreds of jobs posts and never saw anything above $130k, which includes jobs with "Senior" in the title. The averages have to be skewed by a handful of people making the top of the range.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

geera posted:

The salary add-ons seem pretty high to me. I feel like if I went to HR and asked for a 17% raise "because I have Cisco and Linux skills", I'd get laughed out of the office.

I was under the assumption those modifiers were only applicable if you were actually using them for your job. So for me I was only applying the 'Java' and location modifiers.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

sim posted:

Same here. I have a hard time believing these numbers. For Software Engineers, the range in San Diego is $113k - $173k, but Glassdoor lists $66k - $128k. In the last two years I've looked at hundreds of jobs posts and never saw anything above $130k, which includes jobs with "Senior" in the title. The averages have to be skewed by a handful of people making the top of the range.

that does sound very high

maybe it's people who work in the mythical +5% every year companies for 5-10 years? Although so far I have yet to run into any company that does remotely that well.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

sim posted:

I'm making above the stated high end for my job, but this is SF so things are a bit crazytown.

I've always found these things (including glassdoor) to understate pay. There may be biases at play. People who are making good money and are happy don't bother filling out surveys or posting to glassdoor. Plus companies have an incentive to under-report salaries so the reports come out a bit lower, thus justifying "sorry Bob, 3% is actually pretty good... You know HR keeps up with the salary surveys and our pay is competitive..."

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I got a new job and am now in the 250k+ total compensation club, at least for 3 years. A lot thanks to this thread for making me reevaluate what's possible and the seeming fluidity of offers.

Had to line up 2 offers from GOOG/FB/AAPL/etc for a senior SE position and made them compete for each other. Otherwise it would have been below 170k for sure, which is still really good. They basically compete on the stock they give to you which is substantial once you show them your other offer.

How do bonuses usually work? Do you usually get max of what they offer or 75% or 50%?

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Nice. Just curious, are you in the SF Bay area?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Cryolite posted:

Nice. Just curious, are you in the SF Bay area?

MeruFM posted:

Had to line up 2 offers from GOOG/FB/AAPL/etc

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So he's in Seattle then? All three have offices there.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I could be wrong but I don't think many people outside of the Bay Area (and outside of the financial industry) refer to those companies by their stock tickers. Also please stop doing that it's kinda weird.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
yeah sorry, I'm in the south bay area

I copied the tickers from a previous post. Just wanted to represent "large well known bay area hq'd companies"

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 7, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

This seems relevant http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/wagespot-location-based-salary-app/

It'll probably be more popular than Glassdoor because "apps! :downs:" but hey whatever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Any advice on negotiating salary when you're transitioning from contractor to full time?

I'm imagining it's a lot like a normal salary negotiation, except:

a) I already work here, and they depend on me. If we don't reach an agreement, they're going to need to replace me, which is a bigger deal than just losing out on a good-seeming but ultimately unknown potential hire.
b) I've been a little bit involved in the hiring process, so I have the benefit of knowing what the applicant pool looks like (not great). Which is just a ridiculous negotiating advantage.
c) This is really braggy but I know they really really like me and would be very disappointed if I left. It would throw a wrench in their short term plans, for sure.

It's big and corporate, so there's a pay structure of some kind, but I don't know what it looks like for FTEs.

It feels like I'm going to be able to hold their feet to the fire (nicely!), which is really weird and not what I was expecting when I got picked up as a contractor. Am I wrong?

The really weird thing is that my bargaining position isn't all that different from negotiating a raise.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
edit: wrong thread

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 8, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Any advice on negotiating salary when you're transitioning from contractor to full time?

I'm imagining it's a lot like a normal salary negotiation, except:

a) I already work here, and they depend on me. If we don't reach an agreement, they're going to need to replace me, which is a bigger deal than just losing out on a good-seeming but ultimately unknown potential hire.
b) I've been a little bit involved in the hiring process, so I have the benefit of knowing what the applicant pool looks like (not great). Which is just a ridiculous negotiating advantage.
c) This is really braggy but I know they really really like me and would be very disappointed if I left. It would throw a wrench in their short term plans, for sure.

It's big and corporate, so there's a pay structure of some kind, but I don't know what it looks like for FTEs.

It feels like I'm going to be able to hold their feet to the fire (nicely!), which is really weird and not what I was expecting when I got picked up as a contractor. Am I wrong?

The really weird thing is that my bargaining position isn't all that different from negotiating a raise.

Contract to Hire often has a lower salary because "well NOW we give benefits!"

Have another offer, and be very ready to take it if your hardball doesn't work when they offer you crap.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Space Whale posted:

Contract to Hire often has a lower salary because "well NOW we give benefits!"

Have another offer, and be very ready to take it if your hardball doesn't work when they offer you crap.
Well yeah, they could do that, but then i'll leave :).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2015#work-compensation-geo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

I'm surprised that the full-time remote workers are paid more than those who commute

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Necc0 posted:

I'm surprised that the full-time remote workers are paid more than those who commute

Could be that the most desirable developers are able to negotiate both higher pay and remote work. Or maybe that the employers that allow remote work have more respect for their employees and pay more (or maybe just have higher margins and can afford luxuries). Lots of possibilities on that one.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah I'm willing to bet there's some heavy self-selection in that category. Plus being 100% remote means you can almost only be judged on your work output alone and can't fall into the 'well he's nice to have around' category. Unless your skype away message game is on point but I don't think that's likely :v:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah, there are basically no junior remote developers.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Don't companies save money on insurance by not having their employees on site?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Nice report from hired.com:
https://hired.com/whitepapers/software-engineer-salary-data

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Saw the San-Fran adjusted rate before I knew what it was and almost got really pissed. Good to know I'm about where I should be.

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013

Bognar posted:

Could be that the most desirable developers are able to negotiate both higher pay and remote work. Or maybe that the employers that allow remote work have more respect for their employees and pay more (or maybe just have higher margins and can afford luxuries). Lots of possibilities on that one.

If a company needs some one with specific skills that they cant source locally remote makes sense, and that requirement also generally carries a premium.

Where I work we also allow people to work from home pretty freely, I wouldn't call that being remote as we have to come into the office on a regular schedule but there are people who work from home more than they come in the office.

Cicero posted:

Yeah, there are basically no junior remote developers.

You generally don't need to look to hard to find junior developers so I doubt paying a premium or dealing with the logistics of coordinating work for a remote is worth it for some one with little experience that may require additional direction.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I work in west Michigan.

I am a "Senior Linux Engineer" (because I am the ONLY Linux engineer :rolleyes:) at a company of about 35~ that makes around 15,000,000$ a year in revenue, and 2,000,000$ a year in profits. I mainly focus on embedded Linux.

Responsibilities:

Move current products from RTOS to Linux along with coordinating between some other engineers with board layout and development.
Add/Create any kernel modules necessary on new boards.
Create a build system for any new boards.
Program all the software for new boards.
Create a flashing process for new boards.

Languages Used:
C/C++/Python/PHP/JS/Java/HTML/CSS

Other things used:
Sip/SNMP/VLan/Asterisk/FreePBX/KVM management

Other things I do at my job:
I also manage about 10 Cent7 servers, and the entire engineering network which is separate from Corporate.

Other random things:
I also bring to the table a wealth of knowledge about the entire product life-cycle, from concept to finished product.

I make 75,000$, but will get a raise to 80,000$ in September. (this is in writing).

I currently have 6 years of experience in my field.

Is this about right? Should I be making more? The benefits are pretty decent, full medical (500$ deductible), vision and dental as well.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 17, 2016

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

How senior are these people on average? The numbers seem kind of high to me.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I think the numbers are roughly consistent with senior software engineer salary.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
I feel like I saw something somewhere that said they tend to not accept very many people that are coming right out of school. It would make sense it's skewed a bit higher if that's the case.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ratbert90 posted:

So I work in west Michigan.

I am a "Senior Linux Engineer" (because I am the ONLY Linux engineer :rolleyes:) at a company of about 35~ that makes around 15,000,000$ a year in revenue, and 2,000,000$ a year in profits. I mainly focus on embedded Linux.

I make 75,000$, but will get a raise to 80,000$ in September. (this is in writing).

I currently have 6 years of experience in my field.

Is this about right? Should I be making more? The benefits are pretty decent, full medical (500$ deductible), vision and dental as well.

$80k seems a bit low for Grand Rapids but possibly about right for Kalamazoo or another smaller/cheaper area, I would think. $750/mo can get you a pretty nice pad in Kzoo.

That's better-than-average benefits, Obamacare is pushing everyone to HDHPs because of the "cadillac tax". We used to have something about like that, but as of this year I think the lowest we offer is a $1500 deductible, and at that level you need to be chipping in on the premiums too. I think we also have a $3.5k and a $6.5k (or whatever the maximum allowed is).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 21, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm very happy at my job at Big Silicon Valley Tech Firm. I had some industry experience (open source work and a startup job), but came in at the level we give to new grads.

Starting, I got:
115k salary, 3k relocation (I lived really close anyway) pseudo-signing bonus, "15% bonus target", and about 22k / year in stock grant. The company also gives about 12k in cash-like retirement money (HSA funding + 401k match)

After being there just over a year, I got:
6k raise (to 121k), and a slightly larger than expected bonus of 21.5k

After being there just over 18 months, I'm going for promotion now. Regardless of how that goes, in June I will almost surely get an additional stock grant that adds to (rather than replaces) the one I got when I joined. I'm actually not sure what range to expect on that, though from talking with coworkers I should expect at least as much as the first at a bare minimum (so another 22k/year)

Now that I've been there a while, I get a lot of recruiter messages. One of them this week was from a New York hedge fund I had no interest in moving across the country to work for, so I figured I might as well practice at salary fishing.

I wrote back something along the lines of "just to make sure I'm not wasting my time, I'm looking for something well north of 280k for a senior position, is that in your range?"

He replied yes so quickly I'm thinking I could've said something a lot higher.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

They are senior enough to get into Hired.com's developer pool.

Basically you submit a profile, Hired vets it, puts it onto the list of people for the week, then shows that list to companies who then send the candidate initial bids and the candidate decides who to interview with (and can negotiate salary further upward). Hired makes a portion of the final salary similar to most recruiters, so they definitely have the data and want to know it accurately (and also push salaries higher when possible).

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

They are senior enough to get into Hired.com's developer pool.

Basically you submit a profile, Hired vets it, puts it onto the list of people for the week, then shows that list to companies who then send the candidate initial bids and the candidate decides who to interview with (and can negotiate salary further upward). Hired makes a portion of the final salary similar to most recruiters, so they definitely have the data and want to know it accurately (and also push salaries higher when possible).

Having been on both sides of Hired, I really REALLY like them as a platform.

They actually charge less than the other recruiters/platforms we've talked to in our current hiring sprint.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
I mentioned this in the oldie thread, I recently got an offer going from $65k total comp to $140k base plus a signing bonus + shares by moving from UK to US. $65k is my current GBP salary converted into USD. It's not quite as great as it looks at face value because of CoL differences and less holidays, but still a big increase. The UK software job market does not pay so good!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

return0 posted:

I mentioned this in the oldie thread, I recently got an offer going from $65k total comp to $140k base plus a signing bonus + shares by moving from UK to US. $65k is my current GBP salary converted into USD. It's not quite as great as it looks at face value because of CoL differences and less holidays, but still a big increase. The UK software job market does not pay so good!

Check company holiday vs vacation days. A lot of places load you up on more than the UK would that can help make that up. (But not as much as Spain.)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

return0 posted:

Location is rather important, and which industry. Finance always pays stupendously high and NYC & SF are not cheap places to live but perversely cheaper than UK due to economies of scale.

I've been looking at US to UK transfers and what is available is quite funny in comparison. Low salaries are reported on many sites to be due to an employers market of many available engineers. Also there is a significant preference for using consulting and outsourcing for projects rather that building up expertise in house. The UK has a lot of large consulting institutions, although they all look a bureaucratic paper pushing nightmare to work with. I never knew there are anyso many software architect "qualifications" until I looked at a UK job site.

If you want a laugh look at the Welsh market for IT jobs.

Big data for some reason is a complete boon for job hunters, this hit my inbox this week:

quote:

I came across your profile and was very impressed with your background. I am working on a Big Data Engineer for my client in New York.
My client is willing to pay a 20% increase in your current salary!

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 19, 2016

return0
Apr 11, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Location is rather important, and which industry. Finance always pays stupendously high and NYC & SF are not cheap places to live but perversely cheaper than UK due to economies of scale.

I've been looking at US to UK transfers and what is available is quite funny in comparison. Low salaries are reported on many sites to be due to an employers market of many available engineers. Also there is a significant preference for using consulting and outsourcing for projects rather that building up expertise in house. The UK has a lot of large consulting institutions, although they all look a bureaucratic paper pushing nightmare to work with. I never knew there are anyso many software architect "qualifications" until I looked at a UK job site.

It's from a web tech company in Scotland to Amazon in Seattle, I think CoL there is less crazy than NYC and SF.

MrMoo posted:

If you want a laugh look at the Welsh market for IT jobs.

Big data for some reason is a complete boon for job hunters, this hit my inbox this week:

Haha, amazing!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The peak salary for Wales has actually jumped up from the £35k I saw last time on indeed.co.uk, the positions are 100% managers or directors at the higher tiers.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So how'd everyone do this year? I went in to my review fully expecting a promotion & raise but was told that money is tight and maybe things will be looking better next year. I've been taking on tons of extra responsibilities and became the go-to 'get poo poo done NOW' guy so I was really surprised that all I was given was a cost of living adjustment. That and I know my billing has been above targets for the entire time I've been here so even from a raw bean counting perspective I'm more than carrying my own weight by a huge margin.

I plan on appealing this when I get back from my current on-site because I don't think this is at all acceptable. Anyone have any pointers?

• Locked thread