Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djamba
Aug 9, 2013
Chicken wings are my go-to Friday night treat after a week of working, running and eating healthy. A nice big plate of hot, sticky, juicy, spicy wings and a couple of cold beers to go with a film is something I love. I'll put my standard recipe below but was hoping some of you might have some new options I could try out. Anything from Korean Salt & Pepper Wings to Classic American Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dip.

Triple Coated Spicy Chicken Wings

Ingredients
* 6 garlic cloves, crushed
* 4 tbsp olive oil
* 6 tbsp cider vinegar
* 2 tbsp paprika
* 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 4 tsp celery salt
* 8 tbsp pepper sauce (Frank's Hot Sauce)
* 2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper
* 6 tbsp honey
* 1 kg chicken wings, halved at the joint

Optional Additional for "Death Wings"
* 1/2 Teaspoon of Blaire's 3AM Reserve Chilli Extract (Or any other chilli sauce you want to add for extra heat)

Method

1. In a large bowl, mix together the garlic, olive oil, cider vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, hot sauce, honey, chilli extract and a couple of cracks of black pepper. Add the chicken wings and toss around to make sure they’re fully covered in the marinade. If you have time, leave the wings to marinate for a couple of hrs in the fridge or ideally overnight.

2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Drain and reserve the marinade, then spread the wings out on a very large baking tray. Bake for 30 mins, then pour off the excess oil, add the reserved marinade and toss well. Increase oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Return to the oven and cook for a further 30 mins, taking the wings out every 10 minutes and put them in the bowl of sauce re-coating them with the remainder of the sauce to make sure they are triple coated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have been on a wingz kick for the past couple of months. I don't know what it is, but seriously I've probably eaten 999999999lbs of wings on my own of late.

for me, the flavoring is an afterthought. getting the wings perfectly juicy, salty, and crispy is the main struggle. flavoring is just like eh, yawnnnnn

deep frying I think may be over rated, or I am doing it completely wrong. I've tried everything from par cooking at 250 degrees, freezing individually, then frying at 375 - to just chucking them in 350 degree oil as is - to drying out the skin overnight uncovered in the fridge - to brining before or not brining before... I mean really every convoluted thing.

I recently had GreatSuccess with just taking wings, not rinsing them or anything, tossing them in a good amount of kosher salt, a small amount of baking powder, MSG, corn starch, and a few tablespoons of oil - mixing that up real good in a gallon bag and letting them marinate for an hour or two, then cooking in a convection oven at 375.

out of all the convoluted methods I've tried, that was probably the closest to AbsoluteSuccess as I've come this year. I think by not brining them, you eliminate a lot of the potential soggy moisture problems - and I think an hour or two is enough time to let the salt penetrate a bit. That said, the convection oven part is really key to driving off any remaining moisture and getting crispy wings - but these were really better than anything I've had out of a deep fryer recently.

anyways, for sauces, I don't give a gently caress. so long as the wings are crispy and salty, I'll just put some hot sauce on each wing as I'm eating it, works for me. I love the green el yucateco habanero sauce. korean bulgogi marinades make great wing sauces too. texas pete is dear to my heart also. or buy some commercial 'lemon pepper seasoning' that's unnaturally yellow - I got a tub and am kind of obsessed with it for wings. I'll sauce some wings and then just add lemon pepper on top of the sauce anyways, because.... well I guess I don't give a gently caress.

lol this post is so disgusting and makes me feel grimy. sharing my dirty late night wingz laundry with the entire interwebs. :o:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You can always try the "Chef John" method. If you can get through his voice that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP3LhqcBThg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there any real reason to use wings over thighs or drumsticks?

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013

Jose posted:

Personally I love the crunch you can get from the end of the wing and the higher sauce to meat ratio you get from a wing drummette than you would from the other two. Thighs are great for Cajun rubs and a bbq.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

or even breast, why not use that? or chicken necks - no real reason not to use those instead of wings. or gently caress it, if you're out of chicken, why not use beef? they're both animals - right?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Alton Brown's baked wings recipe has never led me astray: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-buffalo-wings-recipe-0178379.html

Reposting the ones I made a while back:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
The best wings I have ever had were smoked all day long. I don't know what else they did, honestly it probably didn't matter. When I make wings at home, I like to coat them in a dry rub and put them in the fridge for 8 hours before baking them at 400 for 40 minutes. I then spin them in a standard Frank's hot wing sauce that has had additional cayenne added.

The rub (I just eyeball my measurments):

Brown sugar (50% of total)
equal parts:
cayenne
thyme
paprika
garlic powder
onion powder

The rub makes a big difference in the final product, and you could probably use any off the shelf BBQ rub for a similar effect.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
shamelessly plugging my favorite wing recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

grilled wings = best wings

(except for pok pok's wings, which I can't get right on the grill)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Alton Brown's baked wings recipe has never led me astray: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-buffalo-wings-recipe-0178379.html

Reposting the ones I made a while back:

Seriously, pre-steaming then patting dry is absolutely necessary

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Whalley posted:

Seriously, pre-steaming then patting dry is absolutely necessary

I have no idea why this recipe works but they are the best oven wings I've ever had.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
or just bake them in the oven on a grate to allow excess fat to drip off and coat in Franks Red Hot.

If you wanna get pro then fry them for a short period, put in the fridge till COLD

then FRY AGAIN. A SECOND TIME. CONGRATS YOU WIN.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chinatown posted:

or just bake them in the oven on a grate to allow excess fat to drip off and coat in Franks Red Hot.

If you wanna get pro then fry them for a short period, put in the fridge till COLD

then FRY AGAIN. A SECOND TIME. CONGRATS YOU WIN.

lol look at this lil nub

I'd agree, but I've done this a billion times. it doesn't work well. you gotta desiccate the skin somehow, and then crank the heat. convection oven has been best for me, but I'd believe you could get good wings with a fryer at the right temperature. desiccation seems to work best for me with salt and baking soda, with the possible addition of the texas-crutch of wings, cornstarch.

unless you're IQF'ing wings in a giant vat of liquid nitrogen, putting them in the fridge until cold - even on a rack - tends to leave a congealed messy wingjuice behind on the wings that I just can't get to crisp up.

that said, pre-steaming wings is the dumbest thing. sure maybe it works, but that's so much goddamn effort for something that should be simple and delicious.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
honestly just walking into a cash and carry and buying a flat of sysco wings is probably the way to go, who are we kidding

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

honestly just walking into a cash and carry and buying a flat of sysco wings is probably the way to go, who are we kidding

lol look at this lil nub

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chinatown posted:

lol look at this lil nub

lol look at this lil nub

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

mindphlux posted:

that said, pre-steaming wings is the dumbest thing. sure maybe it works, but that's so much goddamn effort for something that should be simple and delicious.
It takes like ten minutes and is a thousand times easier to clean than a pot of oil. All it really does is separate fat out of the surface of the skin, so after you pat dry and let cool, the skin is perfectly prepared to crisp the hell up without potentially adding salt or alkaline flavors that you'd prefer to add with the sauce.

Also the sauce should just be a minced up fresh garlic clove, a quarter cup of Frank's Red Hot, and two tablespoons of whipped unsalted butter. Anything else (other than replacing the Frank's with like, Old Bay and a shot of bourbon) and you're only hurting yourself

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I've had good success with 24 hour fridge drying and indirect heat on a covered grill. I like to toss them in lemon and pepper/salt. I'll have to try pre-steaming as well. Would a quick blanching work too?

Edit: I should probably clarify that the skin texture isn't so much crunchy as it is mediocre Peking duck. Now I'm all self conscious about goddamn chicken wings.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 29, 2014

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
My fav wings are Dinosaur BBQ (what up upstate NY and NYC) wings.. dry rubbed, smoked, then grilled with spicy bbq sauce. Make these now.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've made this recipe a few times and it makes for a pretty drat delicious chicken:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/crispy-chicken-wings-korean-style/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BraveUlysses posted:

grilled wings = best wings

I made some incredible wings on a charcoal grill one time. Buddy didn't think you could cook wings on the grill, I threw a pack on, they came out incredible. Dumped in Frank's+butter after cooking. Delicious. Even his little kids cleaned them to the bone.

I've tried a few times since then on a gas grill, and I usually end up having grease flare-ups and the skin turns burnt and weird. I'm sure boiling them first would help.

Usually I just stick 'em in the oven at 500 for 25 minutes or so

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I must admit that chicken wings are "lazy midnight snack food" to me, so I keep a bag of frozen stuff in the freezer (probably really bad quality chicken) and when I'm in the mood for a late night snack, I brush them with yakitori sauce and toss them in the oven.

They're not bad, but I'm second guessing my chicken wing appreciation when I read this thread.
That's it, carry on...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shadowhand00 posted:

I've made this recipe a few times and it makes for a pretty drat delicious chicken:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/crispy-chicken-wings-korean-style/

This is great:

quote:

MSG, which adds a savory flavor called umami, is the salt of glutamic acid. It is an amino acid, and thus it is found in many foods, such as parmesan cheese.

No scientific studies have linked MSG with health problems, but some people feel like they have a :airquote:negative reaction:airquote: to it. Feel free to leave it out. For more on the science of MSG, see page 1·213 of Modernist Cuisine.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
When I'm looking to try something different than the standard "deepfry and add franks" wings, I like to grill and continuously baste them with a cocktail sauce deriverative. (Cocktail sauce + Butter).

In a sauce pan combine and heat until melted.
1 stick of butter
1/4 c lemon juice
2 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoon horseradish
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Prep and grill the wings as you normally would and brush the wings with the sauce throughout the cooking process.

You don't need to be exact in the measurements. I'm not, mix to taste. Sometimes I'll had peppers or hot sauce to give it a bit more heat than the horseradish gives it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Whalley posted:

It takes like ten minutes and is a thousand times easier to clean than a pot of oil. All it really does is separate fat out of the surface of the skin, so after you pat dry and let cool, the skin is perfectly prepared to crisp the hell up without potentially adding salt or alkaline flavors that you'd prefer to add with the sauce.

Also the sauce should just be a minced up fresh garlic clove, a quarter cup of Frank's Red Hot, and two tablespoons of whipped unsalted butter. Anything else (other than replacing the Frank's with like, Old Bay and a shot of bourbon) and you're only hurting yourself

I'm definitely not saying pre-oil frying is a better alternative. I just think you can make it even easier - it's silly to set up a contraption and have to clean it out just for 10 minutes of steam on some wings. Just as easily, with half the mess, you could blanch the skin in boiling water ala peking duck if you really wanted to pre-cook them. I think you can get just as good or better results with salt and air drying - but if you're really opposed to using salt / baking soda, I guess blanching works too...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I made some incredible wings on a charcoal grill one time. Buddy didn't think you could cook wings on the grill, I threw a pack on, they came out incredible. Dumped in Frank's+butter after cooking. Delicious. Even his little kids cleaned them to the bone.

I've tried a few times since then on a gas grill, and I usually end up having grease flare-ups and the skin turns burnt and weird. I'm sure boiling them first would help.

Usually I just stick 'em in the oven at 500 for 25 minutes or so

The main thing I've found is to cook them indirectly for 45+ minutes and then apply sauce and put on the hot side for a few mins to char them a bit.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Pok Pok wings are worth making if you have never had them

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/recipes/articles/make-pok-poks-famous-wings-at-home-october-2013

Served with coconut rice they are fantastic

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Rice-380588

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I'm definitely not saying pre-oil frying is a better alternative. I just think you can make it even easier - it's silly to set up a contraption and have to clean it out just for 10 minutes of steam on some wings. Just as easily, with half the mess, you could blanch the skin in boiling water ala peking duck if you really wanted to pre-cook them. I think you can get just as good or better results with salt and air drying - but if you're really opposed to using salt / baking soda, I guess blanching works too...
Salt/soda/drying is perfect for shrimp and also for wings in other cooking methods (like flash frying before tossing through a Thai green curry) but proper American wings need a crisp that I haven't been able to achieve other than through steaming/baking. I've tried a fuckload of methods (and usually will have a pot of oil ready during Wing Time for some drat fried yucca) but jesus christ steamed/baked wings is a godsend and I'll fight anyone until the point of being mildly hurt who disagrees.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Best way I've found to cook wings is just to red cook them with fresh ginger, whole five spice in gauze, shitloads of rock sugar, dark soy etc. and reduce until it's a syrup. They firm up again as the sauce turns to syrup, so they turn both tender, juicy and toothsome at the same time, and the flavour just can't be beat. I still do like the original Buffalo wings but frying wings is more work than I'm usually prepared for.

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013
Wow.. OK. I thought I had this poo poo down pat but looks like I have a few new things to try..

Re: Steaming. Are you guys talking about using a vegetable steamer?

I haven't really tried to crisp them up other than in a deep fat fryer with a coating so this in intriguing me. I think there is a high probability of wings being on the menu this weekend.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you boil them for a few minutes you can cook a bit of the fat off before you bake them

I like getting the huge rear end bag of them at the store, getting covered up to my elbows in hot sauce and having sweat pour down my head, eat about 30 wings and then just fall into a wing coma

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You guys have to be making GBS threads me that you use Alton Brown's wing method. That is the most over complicated BS that exemplifies why Alton is in fact retarded. I mean he's cool if you're just getting into cooking but the more you learn the more you realize how stupid his poo poo really is.

Here's pr0k's wings which is exactly how I do mine. They come out perfect.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Buffalo_Wings_with_Blue_Cheese_Dressing

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh man croat and I agree on a thing everyone take cover.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh man croat and I agree on a thing everyone take cover.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Croatoan posted:

You guys have to be making GBS threads me that you use Alton Brown's wing method. That is the most over complicated BS that exemplifies why Alton is in fact retarded. I mean he's cool if you're just getting into cooking but the more you learn the more you realize how stupid his poo poo really is.

"boiling water is overcomplicated bs"

I do not have a deep fryer, or a method for storing and cleaning used oil, or a safe way of disposing of large amounts of oil, or an apartment with a stove that lets me fry without crazy smoke alarms. An inch of water and a vegetable steamer takes me like thirty seconds to clean and gives me better results than when I used to deep fry (using prok's method) in my old apartment.

Alton does and says some stupid poo poo but his wing method is baller and works real good like for me.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

Wings should be simple. Segment, cook meat and crisp skin, and then toss with hot sauce and butter.

Cooking methods in descending order of frequency:
* Gas grill
* Bake and broil
* Fry once

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Croatoan posted:

This is pretty much The One True Wing as it is known in Buffalo and Western NY.

The only thing I would change about that recipe is that some folks like to add some cook time to their wings to get them extra crispy.

Other than that, I add hotter poo poo to mine because I like my wings spectacularly hot. (Though naga Jolokia wings was a mistake...)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I see "all drummies" on menus for an extra dollar, but never all wings. That's what I want, the wing.

The best part of the wing is you can do the wing smash, where you separate the top of the wing from the bone, then flip it over and push it down on your plate or table to pop the bone out. You then place your 'meats' in a pile, bones in a pile, and continue until you have prepared them all (you should consume at least 20 in a sitting). Don't burn your fingers off while you're doing this.

Then you just pop them in your mouth one at a time in rapid succession, stopping to dip in bleu cheese if that's what you (correctly) prefer.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bob Morales posted:

I see "all drummies" on menus for an extra dollar, but never all wings. That's what I want, the wing.
I discovered that my local carnicería sells sectionals only for cheap. I love it when picky rear end white folks turn their nose up at stuff and make good food cheaper. Now they just need to give back my beef tongue and ox tails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

The best part of the wing is you can do the wing smash, where you separate the top of the wing from the bone, then flip it over and push it down on your plate or table to pop the bone out. You then place your 'meats' in a pile, bones in a pile, and continue until you have prepared them all (you should consume at least 20 in a sitting). Don't burn your fingers off while you're doing this.

Then you just pop them in your mouth one at a time in rapid succession, stopping to dip in bleu cheese if that's what you (correctly) prefer.
This is the One True Way to eat wings. I love when I'm around people who hate the wing part, because it means I get the funnest most bestest way of eating all to myself.

• Locked thread