Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
What's the meaning of life

To gently caress and have kids?

Is that it?

Or is it more complicated than that.

Like even if we get off this stupid rock, we'll just keep doing the same thing. We've gained control of our own evolution in the sense that we can augment or fill gaps in our utility or ability. loving cold? Put on a jacket, human being. can't breathe water? SCUBA (it's a funny word, say it aloud)

Is there any reason that any other species would have a higher level of intelligence than us, if life as we know it depends on only a base level of intelligence that includes communication, abstraction, and imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
the meaning of life doesn't exceed the definition of the word "life"

also the alien life more intelligent thing comes from - IF it visited us, it would have to be more advanced technologically at least

either way gas life ban aliens

every fourth word = life

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
There is no meaning.

Also, the idea that an alien being would be intelligent to us is really just an assumption we're making, because we're incapable of imagining any other form of life or intelligence. That being said, for an alien to make contact with us, they would have to have the ability to span potentially thousands of lightyears, which, however they choose to do it, would be quite remarkable.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im gonna gently caress your alien kid

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why do you need a meaning

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't i just had a convo with someone that I said there is no meaning and that's why life unironically rules

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

There is no meaning of life but if you want to feel that you're fulfilling a purpose it's probably a good thing to try and make the world better for having you in it rather than the opposite. Help others, contribute to things, let others gain from your efforts and such. Of course you could also be greedy or concentrate on living a kicking rad life, and that's just as valid even though you won't have a great 'legacy'. In time you'll be forgotten either way :black101:.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
what is the meaning of life to a pin worm

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

concerned mom posted:

what is the meaning of life to a pin worm

Reaction to stimuli

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Greater intelligence means a greater capacity for pleasure. Being super smart means you get to think about super fun things all the time, so smarter is better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

it's true that nature does not often select for intelligence. look at the shark, a big dumb loving fin with teeth and it's been kicking around for hundreds of millions of years.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

exquisite tea posted:

it's true that nature does not often select for intelligence. look at the shark, a big dumb loving fin with teeth and it's been kicking around for hundreds of millions of years.

survival of the shittest

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

No meaning so just pursue happiness. Who else here is a hedonist? Probably none of you miserable bastards.

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
I'm of the Author C Clarke school of thought that a significantly advanced intelligence would be really chill(Childhood's End notwithstanding). You'd have to assume they escaped the rat race of evolution and having to fight their way to the top. You would hope that because they were super smart, they would have developed a sense of ethics and conduct that they felt best. Additionally, assuming they're a social species, they would probably have to be more willing to accept new ideas. I'd imagine they'd mostly be after learning new stuff. Which is why I'm still bummed about the lack of probe action

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

krampster2 posted:

No meaning so just pursue happiness. Who else here is a hedonist? Probably none of you miserable bastards.
Sybarites represent.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Finding new ways to make sex more amazing with technology and body enhancements.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

existential crises in gbs today, im dwt

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Not for nothing, but if you're after "happiness", Huxley would like a word with you. I'm sure we can hook you up with some happy pills and send you to work in the salt mine. Seriously for a second, I think the next big advancement in human technology will be the elimination of what we call "mental illness". I'd think cool stuff would follow

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

we will eradicate all abberant thought, you will be happy, join us

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

lonesomedwarf posted:

we will eradicate all abberant thought, you will be happy, join us

Nah, I just think there's a baseline for cognition. I just referenced Huxley! There's a difference between feeling appropriately sad and spending months in bed trying to drink yourself to death

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

That's like some Psycho Pass type poo poo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ThisGuy posted:

I'm of the Author C Clarke school of thought that a significantly advanced intelligence would be really chill(Childhood's End notwithstanding). You'd have to assume they escaped the rat race of evolution and having to fight their way to the top. You would hope that because they were super smart, they would have developed a sense of ethics and conduct that they felt best. Additionally, assuming they're a social species, they would probably have to be more willing to accept new ideas. I'd imagine they'd mostly be after learning new stuff. Which is why I'm still bummed about the lack of probe action

I'm of the school of thought that intelligence does not equal goodness.
This is also why I am fanatically opposed to the creation of a strong AI.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Dinosaurs existed for millions of years, and would have continued to ruled if they didn't get hosed over multiple ways, earth could have ended up with super intelligent dino-bird-people, or just more of the same poo poo that existed for millions of years already.

Though if super-intelligent alien life existed, alien life that could visit us would almost have to hate us. If they care nothing about other life they would either ignore us, or take the time to kill us and steal our resources, which would be pointless as any possible resource on earth could be found in abundance in space, with out dealing with our nukes. If they did care about life, they would have to hate us with a burning passion. You can't even use the "respect all sentient beings" lines, as there is other sentient beings on earth (comparable to a child or mentally challenged individual) and we torture the ever living gently caress out of them, and everything else and everyone, including ourselves,especially ourselves.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

my psychyatrist said one cubic centimetre will cure ten gloomy sentiments no joke

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm of the school of thought that intelligence does not equal goodness.
This is also why I am fanatically opposed to the creation of a strong AI.

Me too, actually. If you mess up just like one line of the modus operandi of a hyper intelligent robot that can change its own code and SKYNET is real

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Shnag posted:

Dinosaurs existed for millions of years, and would have continued to ruled if they didn't get hosed over multiple ways, earth could have ended up with super intelligent dino-bird-people, or just more of the same poo poo that existed for millions of years already.

Though if super-intelligent alien life existed, alien life that could visit us would almost have to hate us. If they care nothing about other life they would either ignore us, or take the time to kill us and steal our resources, which would be pointless as any possible resource on earth could be found in abundance in space, with out dealing with our nukes. If they did care about life, they would have to hate us with a burning passion. You can't even use the "respect all sentient beings" lines, as there is other sentient beings on earth (comparable to a child or mentally challenged individual) and we torture the ever living gently caress out of them, and everything else and everyone, including ourselves,especially ourselves.

we are the orcs

sorry i mean orks

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Do you hate animals? Something so smart would probably just see human behavior as natural. I doubt they'd look at problems in the world, or even individual people, and be like "eww, gross". They'd probably just see that sort of thing as a product of a series of events

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

like edging or two guys crossing swords

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Asking these questions on the internet gets you put on an FBI watchlist.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I want to think that aliens that are advanced enough to visit us would be cool and smart, but on the other hand think about the technology we have on earth and almost nobody knows how the gently caress it works.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm also a fan of this idea op.
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblo...sselov-of-.html

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

do aliens have bigger dicks???

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Carl Sagan posted:

We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Sagan was the man

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

okay so serious question and remember im pretty ignorant and definitely undereducated:

what would, theoretically, be a society that doesnt have this problem? one like ours but with all menial tasks taken care of by machines, leaving humans free to study science and technology exclusively? one not based on capitalism but i dont know some kind of communist thing where people only take what they need? like i said this is theoretical and i am not talking about how viable such a thing would be

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Parallax Scroll posted:

do aliens have bigger dicks???

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i suppose i mentioned the capitalist thing because in a society like that if theres a demand for lovely burgers theres got to be people who cook those burgers instead of studying physics or something also please remember what i said before wrt undereducated and ignorant

got drat

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

lonesomedwarf posted:

we are the orcs

sorry i mean orks

We really are. We truly haven't gone beyond angrily basing things into oblivion if they don't suit are tastes, or they do suit our tastes, or if we don't care about it at all. Instead of clubs we use gun and bombs, but in the end we are just pulverizing everything and everyone in our line of sight into a fleshy pulp.

When humans first used nukes, we thought there was a very real possibility it could have just straight up destroyed the environment and wipe out all life on earth. But then we were like "gently caress it! Those faggots we want to bomb would be dead too. So lets do it!" Humanity is like a guy playing roulette who keeps winning, but keeps doubling down and putting all the chips down every time. Sure if he loses the entire game ends, he could play it safe and not use every chip, everytime, but what kind of wimpy bitch would he be if he did? Do it!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gonna suck when we find life on other planets and it's literally boring rear end microbes that can't be ruled out as just contamination from our probes.

Or we find a whole planet with dinosaur equivalents. Gonna really loving suck.

Dinosaur meat will be a delicacy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only thing I could think of is that a more intelligent species would have more advanced precognition because they could recognize fallacies and predict MORE outcomes in greater detail. To us, they'd appear essentially psychic from our perspective. If a dog could understand how we plan years into the future, it would be loving stunned and we'd appear psychic to it.

• Locked thread