Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the etnerpriseyist enterprise vendor that ever solutioned your business
ibm
ca
tibco
autonomy
hp
oracle/bea
salesforce.com
sap
microsoft
symantec
vmware
View Results

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

big data is funny because instead of using some intelligence to figure out what tiny fraction of your metrics are most important to your business just capture everything and Big Data will tell you a bunch of dumb correlations that will confuse your senior leadership for years! [please keep paying your support contract during those years]

look if we don't record every mouse motion and mis-click cross-referenced against every revision of every page, how will we understand user behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i talked to a guy who was working on a migration from linux/x86 to aix/power because ibm said it would save the company money on db2

i'm sure they're just looking out for his best interests!

lmbo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
make it soap, number 1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmbo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

make it dubstep, number 1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drop the table

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i talked to a guy who was working on a migration from linux/x86 to aix/power because ibm said it would save the company money on db2

i'm sure they're just looking out for his best interests!

moving to power is definitely how you save money

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

look if we don't record every mouse motion and mis-click cross-referenced against every revision of every page, how will we understand user behavior?

users invariably behave like stunted idiots. there we go, I saved everyone so much time and effort.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BooLoo posted:

users invariably behave like stunted idiots. there we go, I saved everyone so much time and effort.

already learned this from valve game commentary but good to reinforce every once in a while

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

frequently this is necessary to show that some exec's brilliant idea is actually harmful to the business

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

carry on then posted:

already learned this from valve game commentary but good to reinforce every once in a while

sitting down next to and just watching a user do their thing on a piece of software you've built or helped build is a great way to end up realizing that we only ever made it out of the swamp and onto dry land by luck.

detroit
Nov 11, 2009
after years of watching doctors use our software i am never setting foot in a hospital again

it should just know what you're allergic to, im not putting that in. that's clerical work i have other things to do

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

i forgot these existed and they are the proest click imaginable

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol like lotus enables anything at all

except the opportunity to fix lotus

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
we did a firedrill yesterday in a production support environment by getting the DC to hard shutdown a websphere messaging gateway and it is supposed to be redundant but it turns out the standby node won't switch to active unless the master shuts down gracefully

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress IBM forever

pram
Jun 10, 2001
throw a big-ip in front of it duh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
expecting enterprise poo poo to fence correctly is naive at best

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

frequently this is necessary to show that some exec's brilliant idea is actually harmful to the business

a/b testing only requires you to measure core metrics, not a gigabyte of data reflecting the pointer position

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

throw a big-ip in front of it duh

pram posted:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

this is depressingly correct

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
but on the other hand ughhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a/b testing only requires you to measure core metrics, not a gigabyte of data reflecting the pointer position

a/b testing requires you to know what the hell you want to know in the first place, takes place over a defined period of time, and is simple enough that it's usually pretty clear which thing works better

big data is appealing to execs with no particular plans for the data, so they can collect loving everything forever and stash the data away until some manager wants to cherrypick a few data points that support their newest pet project, or until the company decides to hire a consultant or computer program to (pretend to) analyze all the data and make all sorts of pronouncements about what the company should do

• Locked thread