Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wow, holy poo poo, this game's PVP is nuts. Was about to quit playing for the day so I figured I'd give it a whirl and after 15 minutes of room hopping I finally got into a team deathmatch against a bunch of Taiwanese players, all of which were like "Rank 4" (our team of Day 1 NA/EUs at 1) and dressed up in insane colored costumes with glowing purple explosion-causing spears and shoulder-mounted rocket launchers stun locking us with a Thorn ability that was like a Rank 2 Binding that apparently fired instantly with no charge. I think I was the only one on our team who got a kill and it was against an Accessory, chainsawed that clown-faced bastard before getting point blank blown up by an RPG.

I guess I should just avoid any team from Asia for the time being, because good lord I don't think anyone playing this game's English release is well equipped enough to handle those guys and won't be for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Guns can't cut poo poo right. So are gun users at a natural disadvantage?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Volt Catfish posted:

What does "can't cut poo poo" mean? Also, you're supposed to carry a melee weapon and a gun.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

he1ixx posted:

It's kind of funny and in keeping with the fiction that a) you have amnesia and have no idea you're violating all of these petty stupid laws literally every 5 steps or if you lie down (!) and b) does a good job of mimicking a wacky police state that has evolved to a high level of arbitrariness in 100000 years to the point where no one knows the rules anymore except the robots.

Great game. Super interesting so far.

I saw in a stream that lying down to sleep was an infraction, so I politely declined to sleep.

"You have rejected the gift of leisure, which is an infraction."

This loving game.

I'm in the New York group, which I assume will be pretty populated, once I unlock multiplayer.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Volt Catfish posted:

Guns actually do just fine, so far as knocking parts off goes.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'm in the New York group, which I assume will be pretty populated, once I unlock multiplayer.
You can play with anyone against anyone really. Last night i tried a coop match and found myself with 3 guys in the tokyo group. When the match ended i noticed we had just successfully raided my own panopticon, berlin.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Been messing around with the weapons and such. No idea how modifying actually works, but I think Im getting stuff out of it. The Drill spear is amazing and I love the running attack for it, and for guns I've been leaning towards this sniper rifle I have.

I really wish this game would ease up on the running around and talking parts. I don't mind the story so far but these conversations really drag out, and the "stealth" sections are incredibly easy and I don't even really get why they are there. I just want to drill giant robot monsters!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Awesome! posted:

the taking of 5 or more steps within the containment cell contravenes the state directive on freedom of prisoner movement in leisure hours. penalty: 10 years.

i cant stop owning myself please help me percy

Would you like to take a nap y/n

:siren:LAYING DOWN WITHOUT PERMISSION IS AGAINST THE LAW 20 YEARS ADDED TO YOUR SENTENCE PRISONER:siren:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Would you like to take a nap y/n

:siren:LAYING DOWN WITHOUT PERMISSION IS AGAINST THE LAW 20 YEARS ADDED TO YOUR SENTENCE PRISONER:siren:

Not lying down gets you 10 years for "Refusing the gift of leisure". It's p. great.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I finally unlocked Quick Travel. This game is a lot more story-driven than I thought it'd be (so far anyway).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

animaCartographer posted:

Been messing around with the weapons and such. No idea how modifying actually works, but I think Im getting stuff out of it. The Drill spear is amazing and I love the running attack for it, and for guns I've been leaning towards this sniper rifle I have.

I really wish this game would ease up on the running around and talking parts. I don't mind the story so far but these conversations really drag out, and the "stealth" sections are incredibly easy and I don't even really get why they are there. I just want to drill giant robot monsters!

I actually don't mind those since the story in these types of games tend to be negligible at best (sans soul sacrifice I guess). It's clumsy but at least they're trying something.

Any general combat advice? I just got to code 3 and still feel like I'm doing bad in missions. I generally try to pull the abductor down by the leg and wail on it's arms. my machine gun doesn't seem to do enough damage to let me pick apart limbs at a distance.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
This game looks crazy fun O_O

If I enjoyed God Eater Burst, is this similar when it comes to quest hub/housing/quest assignment/weird narration?

I really disliked Soul Sacrifice if that helps.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

DrManiac posted:

I actually don't mind those since the story in these types of games tend to be negligible at best (sans soul sacrifice I guess). It's clumsy but at least they're trying something.

Any general combat advice? I just got to code 3 and still feel like I'm doing bad in missions. I generally try to pull the abductor down by the leg and wail on it's arms. my machine gun doesn't seem to do enough damage to let me pick apart limbs at a distance.

With guns my first target is always weapons. so if they have rocket launchers, machine guns, laser cannons, I aim for those first, mainly for parts but also to get rid of their most dangerous stuff. My sniper has about 1.2k damage on it (I'm also Code 5 at this point) so I can just take pot shots at it, but with a machine gun I assume it takes longer. I recommend rushing upgrades on stuff you like, I haven't personally farmed for stuff yet but I would say do it if you feel your stuff isn't up to par.

with my polearm I tend to lock on to the shoulders and neck, and if they have the shield piece that is instantly my first target. My basic set up is grapple, air attack, grapple, repeat till out of thorn meter, but that is most likely not the best way to do it. I also tend to use the light attack charge where I throw it like a javelin, that sometimes staggers them, but its best when they fall over and you can just skewer them from head to toe literally, as it hits multiple times as it goes through them.

If you use the binding thorn (the red one) the 2nd level charge is really good when you need something to just stop moving, just note that all thorn charges lv.2 have a cooldown timer.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

animaCartographer posted:

With guns my first target is always weapons. so if they have rocket launchers, machine guns, laser cannons, I aim for those first, mainly for parts but also to get rid of their most dangerous stuff. My sniper has about 1.2k damage on it (I'm also Code 5 at this point) so I can just take pot shots at it, but with a machine gun I assume it takes longer. I recommend rushing upgrades on stuff you like, I haven't personally farmed for stuff yet but I would say do it if you feel your stuff isn't up to par.

with my polearm I tend to lock on to the shoulders and neck, and if they have the shield piece that is instantly my first target. My basic set up is grapple, air attack, grapple, repeat till out of thorn meter, but that is most likely not the best way to do it. I also tend to use the light attack charge where I throw it like a javelin, that sometimes staggers them, but its best when they fall over and you can just skewer them from head to toe literally, as it hits multiple times as it goes through them.

If you use the binding thorn (the red one) the 2nd level charge is really good when you need something to just stop moving, just note that all thorn charges lv.2 have a cooldown timer.

Great info. This will help a lot. Thx

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think my problem was that I was just playing this too much like the sword and board hunting games I'm used to. Guns are actually pretty good at taking out weapons and you can actually latch on to a limb and directly damage it that way.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
Anyone up for some Co Op, me and a couple goons are running a room. Join us in irc or add and message me in PSN: Lavastine.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

Lavastine posted:

Anyone up for some Co Op, me and a couple goons are running a room. Join us in irc or add and message me in PSN: Lavastine.

Don't think I'll be able to join you right now, but I would love to join up with other goons or whenever for some co-op. PSN: Jazz_Jeager, maybe we should make a master post of "People who don't mind sharing their PSN"?

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 30, 2014

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
I've never actually played a Monster Hunter game, but I love stupid anime plots and this seems like it would fit the bill. I'm curious, though, is this like an 80 hour grindfest or can you feel reasonably done-ish with the main storyline within a reasonable amount of time?

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
Main story will be fairly reasonable(20-30ish), it'll be the post game and perfecting weapons that will be eons long.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

So, how are people controlling this thing? I found myself using a right-hand claw grip which allows me to hold the vita largely with the left hand, and run around with the left thumb, while being able to fine-control aiming with the right thumb while pressing square with the index finger at the same time.

I wish they'd copied the whole "move the vita to adjust aim" thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

So, how are people controlling this thing? I found myself using a right-hand claw grip which allows me to hold the vita largely with the left hand, and run around with the left thumb, while being able to fine-control aiming with the right thumb while pressing square with the index finger at the same time.

generally, i hold the vita in my hands, and press the buttons with my fingers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

generally, i hold the vita in my hands, and press the buttons with my fingers

Who the hell does that? Get a load of this weirdo!

I'm still using the default control layout, but I might try another. I keep accidentally using First Aid kits, but that's my own dumb fault :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So what's the deal with facial hair in this game? I played the demo and there was an option to give yourself like a goatee but I can't find it here in the English release, is it an Entitlement you have to unlock or something?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm always baffled at the lack of a bald option in character customization. It's the easiest one to do!

Policenaut posted:

So what's the deal with facial hair in this game? I played the demo and there was an option to give yourself like a goatee but I can't find it here in the English release, is it an Entitlement you have to unlock or something?

It's makeup.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I found beards in the stickers you can put on your clothes/face. I wonder how close you can get to a cross-gender robin hood costume.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Is saving automatic? I haven't been given a prompt yet, I'm about to take the CODE-2 exam, so I'm not sure im out of tutorial land yet.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
^^^No, talk to your Accessory in your cell and it should be the bottom option. Save right before any new mission or you'll have to watch all the cutscenes, etc again each time you fail. ^^^^

Policenaut posted:

Beards/goatees are in the Stickers options. You have to pick the position that's right over the mouth then make them bigger. Weird way to go about it. Also kind of annoying that you can't have more than 1 sticker on your face. I want a beard and a NO LOVE tattoo on my face, dammit! And yeah, where's my bald option?

A suggestion for anyone else having trouble with the lock on system: You can change it to Manual Only in the "Other" options. This has made a huge improvement for me. That and giving my robot buddy a huge rocket launcher and the "Destory Parts" order. :black101: Now if only I were any good at PvP.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

Is saving automatic? I haven't been given a prompt yet, I'm about to take the CODE-2 exam, so I'm not sure im out of tutorial land yet.

Talk to your Accessory in your Cell and the option is down the bottom. You do get a save message with some actions, but I don't think it's truly automatic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Was the voice work redone for English at all? I'm checking out some gameplay videos on youtube and everything is still in Japanese.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was the voice work redone for English at all? I'm checking out some gameplay videos on youtube and everything is still in Japanese.

There's no dub.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

If you hold L to aim R becomes the shoot button instead of the longarm button

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I kinda wish there was a dub, because GEB's dub was hilarious.

:byodood: Get out of my line of fire! :byodood:
Don't expect me to say 'thank you' :c00lbert:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

So do you guys think this could be fun solo ? If I do end up picking this up of course I'll play online but I'm just checking. Are the bosses hard enough where you'd need four players ?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Squelch Hardon posted:

If you hold L to aim R becomes the shoot button instead of the longarm button
Yeah, i entirely missed that, and wow it changes everything. Combine it with Thorn 2 control scheme, which unlocked somewhere along the line, and the controls are perfect now.

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

So do you guys think this could be fun solo ? If I do end up picking this up of course I'll play online but I'm just checking. Are the bosses hard enough where you'd need four players ?
Absolutely. There's a number of ways you can go about playing it, since, when playing offline, you can choose which companions to roll with, and when playing online, it'll fill up the team with AI companions. Additionally you can give AI companions commands, which is super useful. As for challenge, the campaign is fairly sedate, but i tried a few "Invasion" missions (multiplayer missions (although the multiplayer bit is as mentioned optional) where you reduce the points of other panopticons), and failed 3 out of 4 times.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm not gonna lie this game seems like it would tide me over until March and MH4G upon which I'll drop it and never look back. How are the 'big' abductors? Do they look cool? Are they fun to fight?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

SO, the factory system is cool, but how long until they start charging for items to cut back on the time?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

What's the deal with the "proofs of operational non-failure" items that you get for completing coop missions? I have one in my inventory but how do I actually go about using it? Didn't see an option to use it before starting the operation that's listed.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I love the setting and little penalties that can be incurred for minor infraction - they are effectively toothless in a game in which you start with a 1 million year penalty, and still manage to convey the overall dread fairly well. The little speech of your accessory: "You are forbidden to decline. You are forbidden to kill yourself" etc. was quite good in setting the tone, too.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I kinda wish there was a dub, because GEB's dub was hilarious.

:byodood: Get out of my line of fire! :byodood:
Don't expect me to say 'thank you' :c00lbert:

That voice has to be my favorite voice in GEB ever. God that dub was so bad and yet amazing at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ihatepants posted:

What's the deal with the "proofs of operational non-failure" items that you get for completing coop missions? I have one in my inventory but how do I actually go about using it? Didn't see an option to use it before starting the operation that's listed.

they are a free pass on the story mission that co-op mission was. If you come across the story mission that co-op mission is equivelant to, it will ask you if you want to use the pass to skip it. You still get the entitlemnt points and years taken off that you would have gotten for doing it from scratch ( though no chance to gather resources for it)

• Locked thread