Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I just tried an optional mission in Code 5 and spent more time reviving people than attacking before deciding to just give up. I guess you're supposed to save the optional ones for later, but I've done all of them up to this point so it caught me off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do I need to mash really hard on the sever QTE or does hitting it at a decent pace count?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do I need to mash really hard on the sever QTE or does hitting it at a decent pace count?
Pretty sure it's like the drag move, where the faster you can hit the button the faster it works. There's a reusable item called Flare Knife that you can get from the black market shop (think it's 1000 EP) that boosts your sever speed - you have it selected and use circle to begin the sever move instead of triangle.

There's also an improved version that you can get from mission 5-7 as a bonus for minimal Accessory downtime, which is why I was trying to do that mission, but I'll have to wait until I've got a little better gear.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Armor-Piercing posted:

I just tried an optional mission in Code 5 and spent more time reviving people than attacking before deciding to just give up. I guess you're supposed to save the optional ones for later, but I've done all of them up to this point so it caught me off guard.

Dumb question, but have you been unlocking the higher equipment levels for your comrades? I totally forgot about this and was having the same issue with some Code 3 stuff. Once I got my main people up to Level 3 and 4 things were noticeably better.

One beef with online play: If a host quits / gets disconnected just as you fulfill a mission requirement you should still get all the resources / points for completing it, dammit. Three times today a host left just as we were killing the final biped thingie :argh:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've been more-or-less keeping up. I think the people I took into the mission were at level 4-5 equipment. Part of the issue was that it's against two big abductors, one of which is the spider one that spins around constantly, in a slightly-cramped space.

Right now I'm constructing some augmentations to hopefully at least keep myself alive a little better, and then when I've got a few people up to level 5-6 equipment I'll have another go.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I managed to get one from a supply box in-mission, thing's loving GREAT. It allows me to be terrible with polearms but still sever easily! Great!

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I managed to get one from a supply box in-mission, thing's loving GREAT. It allows me to be terrible with polearms but still sever easily! Great!

Just noticed this item today when I noticed I could sever with my pole arm. Does anyone know if they get used up or degrade? From what I can tell I dont think they do.

Oh, I also found that you can pole vault with the pole arm. Just dash and hit Triangle while dashing to pole vault. It gets you some decent height and it is stylish as hell.

Tepplen fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

animaCartographer posted:

Just noticed this item today when I noticed I could sever with my pole arm. Does anyone know if they get used up or degrade? From what I can tell I dont think they do.
I've been using mine a lot in every mission and it hasn't broken yet, so either it doesn't at all or it lasts long enough to more than get your money's worth.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm waiting for the plot point to drop where everything is all part of some big cult.

Also I only realized last night my big sword is blunt damage so it doesn't actually help with the cutting off of parts. Yeah gonna need to start using that flare knife!!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i wonder if the citizen's voice thing is ever going to say anything

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Awesome! posted:

i wonder if the citizen's voice thing is ever going to say anything

I'm tempted to assume that's the joke. Just wish telling it to update wouldn't take a minute or two.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've been more-or-less keeping up. I think the people I took into the mission were at level 4-5 equipment. Part of the issue was that it's against two big abductors, one of which is the spider one that spins around constantly, in a slightly-cramped space.

Right now I'm constructing some augmentations to hopefully at least keep myself alive a little better, and then when I've got a few people up to level 5-6 equipment I'll have another go.

The one with the spider thing and the gryphon, yeah? I used the scatter command and had a pair of NPCs kill the spider while I and Marie took out the gryphon on the other side of the map.

Still took foooooorever. Wish the npcs knew to jump onto the pull down command like real people do.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ugh just had the game crash on me after completing an optional mission and before saving. first crash I've seen so far.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Meowjesty posted:

The one with the spider thing and the gryphon, yeah? I used the scatter command and had a pair of NPCs kill the spider while I and Marie took out the gryphon on the other side of the map.

Still took foooooorever. Wish the npcs knew to jump onto the pull down command like real people do.
Thanks for this, I hadn't noticed the scatter command before. I managed to finish the mission, with six stars too, but my Accessory died a lot and I didn't get the bonus, so I'll have to try again.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Maybe Im blind and missed it but does it list anywhere what you need to do to get the bonus on a mission or is it kinda a guess as to what the condition is?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cless Alvein posted:

Maybe Im blind and missed it but does it list anywhere what you need to do to get the bonus on a mission or is it kinda a guess as to what the condition is?
I think one of the ingame sinners actually comments on the merits of trying to complete missions in different ways to try and earn bonuses. I think Sergio.

Mr. Nutty
Mar 3, 2005

I just got the game and am setting up my character now. Does my Panopticon matter? LA is the closest one to my physical location, but I'm not super crazy about that city. Is it more for timezone/server stuff or actually something that matters in game?

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Is there any guide to weapons or upgrading or something? I've been running with basically the same gear for a while now and have been doing okay, but I'm kind of worried there's something huge I'm missing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Mr. Nutty posted:

I just got the game and am setting up my character now. Does my Panopticon matter? LA is the closest one to my physical location, but I'm not super crazy about that city. Is it more for timezone/server stuff or actually something that matters in game?

No timezones/server fuckery, pick whatever. Goons seem to be on Houston, but I'm on Tokyo.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Also, what is Impact Damage and is 15 of it worth more than 30 in an element on a weapon's evolution thing?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Eponymous posted:

Also, what is Impact Damage and is 15 of it worth more than 30 in an element on a weapon's evolution thing?

Depends on the weapon and your playstyle. As far as I can tell, Impact damage is essentially something that contributes towards causing the monster to stagger. On something like a light melee, which has very low power, having a percentage of it being dealt as impact when half the time you aren't even attacking the abductor's legs is a waste of time (and you're better off with elemental damage on something you attack with rapidly anyway).

For something like heavy melee or polearm, where you're dealing significantly more damage per hit and not necessarily spending much of your time thorned into its various joints, it's definitely a solid route (especially as most impact damage upgrades are essentially the "raw power" upgrade path as well).

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Thanks, that helps.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there any way to grind for years/EP? I don't think I'm very far at all yet; I just finished hauling the space waifu out of purple jail and watching everyone get their asses kicked by a flying tiger.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I managed to get the bonus for 5-7. I pulled one of the abductors to the opposite side of the map and the other one sat still, so I could fight them one at a time with a full team.

It wasn't worth it though - you get 15 of them, but the Flare Knife+ is not reusable like the regular version.

Really Pants posted:

Is there any way to grind for years/EP? I don't think I'm very far at all yet; I just finished hauling the space waifu out of purple jail and watching everyone get their asses kicked by a flying tiger.
You can redo missions, just with a lower reward in sentence reduction than the first time around. You may have to do that for EP at times if you aren't going for the required entitlements first.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Is it only the light melee weapons that can sever parts? I just made a heavy melee sword called Aftershadow or something and I thought I'd be able to use that to sever bits off as its damage type is cutting, however when I'm hanging on to an abductor I don't get the prompt to start chopping.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Asking this again for a new page:

Pierson posted:

I'm not gonna lie this game seems like it would tide me over until March and MH4G upon which I'll drop it and never look back. How are the 'big' abductors? Do they look cool? Are they fun to fight?
For a comparison I really enjoyed God Eater for the level of customisation and weaponry and the sound and graphic design made it really feel like big strikes hurt and that I was doing real damage. Similarly, I really, really disliked Ragnarok Odyssey for the fact that none of the floaty combat felt like it had any impact or weight. Does it sound like I'll enjoy Freedom Wars?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

Is it only the light melee weapons that can sever parts? I just made a heavy melee sword called Aftershadow or something and I thought I'd be able to use that to sever bits off as its damage type is cutting, however when I'm hanging on to an abductor I don't get the prompt to start chopping.
Yep, only light ones. Though you can hang on and simply bang on the part with your big sword. It'll eventually pop off just the same.

Pierson posted:

For a comparison I really enjoyed God Eater for the level of customisation and weaponry and the sound and graphic design made it really feel like big strikes hurt and that I was doing real damage. Similarly, I really, really disliked Ragnarok Odyssey for the fact that none of the floaty combat felt like it had any impact or weight. Does it sound like I'll enjoy Freedom Wars?
Now that we know you like crunchy, yes, Freedom Wars has a lot of crunch. Even with attacks where you fly straight through the boss you can distinctly tell the hits, and with guns you get explosions for every hit, and pieces falling off fairly often.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Crunchy is a pretty good description of what I like in my hunting games. Sold.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Is there a way to invite people from your created room? I've checked all the options, I think, and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I know you can set the other 3 slots to private and give out the room info over IRC or something, but it'd be much easier to just invite people once it's all set up. I've been jumping between FW and Samurai Warriors 4 and in SW4 it's easy to pick a level and then invite someone to run through it with you.

I'm still getting a pretty decent fill up rate, but I see people on my friends list - some from this very thread! - playing this game and I want to invite them. Ah well, I'll be off and on most of the night going through CODE 4 stuff and buying new dressup entitlements for my animes while I watch basketball. Join me. Thank you, won't you?

EDIT

And for some reason my connection is fine as a guest but really sucks as a host. So if anyone else creates a room and sees me online go ahead and shoot me an invite. I've got facilities to upgrade and color palletes to unlock!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

speaking of crunchy, this is the best hunting game of the ones I played in terms of how fun it is to break parts. I love severing arms and breaking the enemies dumb giant missile launchers and plasma cannons into pieces. I wish hunting games in general would stop bullshitting and let you sever legs completely though.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 31, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the abductor ai feels better to me than monster ai in most hunting games too. usually it feels like the monster is just going through his attack patterns and I'm beating on him and there's not a ton of interaction between the two. in this the abductors seem like they really react to what I'm doing as I'm fighting. If I go for a drag down he is probably going to look at me and try to rush me. if I'm clinging to his shoulder he is probably going to try to shake me off. if I break out his civilian and run off he's going to chase me. it feels like I'm fighting an actual thing rather than attack patterns dressed up as a monster.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

drat, this game really steps it up quick. I mean technically the Abductors are weaker than the average monster from other games but still it's usually late midgame when a hunting game drops multiple beasts on you and I just did a mission with three

I really like the setting too. There's elements that don't hang together but I love the little "What is a hobby?" moments

(Are they ever going to tell us what a retribution is and why it happened)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Flare Knife severs feel like they take longer than light melee. Am I just imagining things?

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Well I got to that Code 5 optional mission with the spider and tiger thing, let me tell ya I'm just getting my rear end handed to me hard. Also if you give up and your Accessory is stuck in a abductor, it considers it a capture and you still have to go save it. gently caress.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Really Pants posted:

Flare Knife severs feel like they take longer than light melee. Am I just imagining things?
Yeah, I think the regular Flare Knife is actually just there so you can sever without having to carry a light melee weapon into every battle, rather than as a superior way to do it (except the FK+, I imagine, since those aren't reusable).

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

animaCartographer posted:

Well I got to that Code 5 optional mission with the spider and tiger thing, let me tell ya I'm just getting my rear end handed to me hard. Also if you give up and your Accessory is stuck in a abductor, it considers it a capture and you still have to go save it. gently caress.

Use scatter command. If you're lucky half of your team will keep the spider busy and you can focus on the tiger.

If one migrates to the other, disengage and run to the other side of the map. One will likely follow you and the other will stick with whoever attacks it.

I hate this combo of enemies and the game seems so fond of using it. :saddowns:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

There's a mission in Code 6 with the same pair of abductors, except it's after you do a warmup round against some other enemies. At least it's in the open desert map.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

It's actually worse on that map for me because it's harder to get those jerks to stay separate.

I hate that frickin spider.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
Thanks for the advise, I'll be sure to try that out.

In the mean time, anyone know where I can find a decent source for drop tables and such? Assuming of course that they exist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So is there any way to make module installation not random? Because it's a huge pain in the rear end to set up a weapon fusion that's like OK I want Power Up (M) and Arm-Component Damage Up (M) on a weapon with 2 free slots then wind up somehow not getting either module because the game decided to transfer a different module and somehow created a module out of thin air when I didn't put any resources in to module creation. It feels like playing old SMT games, I have to upload my save to PS+ then pull it down again when the facility gives me a poo poo result.

• Locked thread