Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saw it in theaters with no expectations, loved it, was scared shitless of going outside in the dark for weeks afterwards (especially since I lived in a mostly rural area at the time).

Gonna disagree that the sequel is bad though. It's bad as a sequel, but on its own it's a great and hilarious film that, I think successfully, makes fun of the culture that the first film created.

The makers of Blair Witch said they were heavily influenced by the 1994 film Loaded and it shows. Highly recommend that one, it's on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Book Of Shadows is actually a really good comedy and satire of 90's horror.

Like, the opening credits are set to Marilyn Manson's 'Disposable Teens', which is, like, I don't even know how many layers of comedy in a film ostensibly 'based on a true story' film about the effects of media hype. Then they introduce the The Craft goth chick and it just keeps getting better.

Yes, exactly. This is why I unironically insist that it's a good film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I saw it in theater, when Heather goes "WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT?!" and the camera sweeps to the left, I could have sworn I saw a creepy figure just barely visible in the woods.

I kind of wish they had kept the original cut which didn't have the story explaining the "stand in the corner" thing because having it end on that with no explanation would have been even creepier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nipplebox posted:

Presumably, the haunted woods distort time and space. The house seen in the ending is Rustin Parr's house, which was burned down in 1941.

The woods distorting space isn't even necessarily presumed, because nobody could possibly be so lost they couldn't find their way back to a road in three days time in the Black Hills Forest. Look at it on Google Maps, at any point in there you're only a mile or two from a road. That means if they walked in one direction for even two hours they would have hit a road, let alone the 18 hours or whatever they mention at one point.

Magic things happen in a horror movie???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechathief posted:

Maybe some of you can finally clear this up for me.

I remember seeing this movie in the theater on release, but the film was running at what seemed to me like 60fps at the time and had a different aspect ratio than normal, not sure which but it looked more square or 4:3 than rectangular

The original theater run was shown in 4:3 because it was intended to be footage from video cameras from 1994.

e:

quote:

Artisan have released BWP in its original aspect ratio of 1.33:1 on this single-sided, dual-layered DVD. Mini-controversy #1: all the people who are bothered that BWP is not a) letterboxed, and b) enhanced for widescreen televisions. As I mentioned, the theatrical aspect ratio is 1.33:1, which is just the same as your 4X3 TV; as such, there's no need for letterboxing since the theatrical ratio equals the one you normally see on your TV screen. This also obviates the usefulness of 16X9 enhancement, since the source material does not approximate a widescreen ratio.

precision fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 3, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister J posted:

Hey SMG you should check out "The Burkittsville 7" if you haven't already: http://vimeo.com/59334058

It was made to air after The Blair Witch Project when it premiered on Showtime, and is made by the same guy who did Shadow Of The Blair Witch, except this one takes place "in universe" with the first film, as it were.

I think I remember seeing this on TV? Anyway yeah it's really, really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

penismightier posted:

So SMG, as a found footage fan, (and everyone else for that matter) do you think any of the later ones are as good Blair Witch?

REC, Chronicle, Paranormal Activity: the Marked Ones, The Last Exorcism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HP Hovercraft posted:

Is Man Bites Dog considered a found-footage film? If so it's probably the best one.

Oh drat, that's a great point. It really is.

I mentioned this in the Netflix thread but last year's Mr. Jones is absolutely amazing and one of the few movies that has ever legitimately scared me. It uses "found footage" but it's not a found footage film at all, if that makes sense. I would check it out though. Critical opinion was massively divided on it, though, so maybe I'm just crazy for thinking it's great (Bloody Disgusting is one of the only places that gave it an unqualified great review).

• Locked thread