Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

MrBims posted:

Is there any evidence of matchmaking coming soon? Not 'in the next year' but in a reasonable time? It is pretty silly to have the chance of fighting someone who can put down Jadiim on turn 4 in less than 24 hours of creating your account.

There is some rudimentary matchmaking, but everyone starts at Zero pretty much, and a lot of people don't use the random button in the proving grounds very often. Other than that, I haven't heard anything. There are a ton of features that still need to be implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

MrBims posted:

Is there any evidence of matchmaking coming soon? Not 'in the next year' but in a reasonable time? It is pretty silly to have the chance of fighting someone who can put down Jadiim on turn 4 in less than 24 hours of creating your account.

Matchmaking is already a thing and implemented. But they haven't told us how it works, only that it exists. Go to proving grounds and click the "random opponent" button. It's not random.

Later today I'll try to find the source on that. It's deep in the forums somewhere.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea my understanding is that everyone (even those of us who have been playing since the beginning of Alpha) starts with the same rating, and I don't think it takes tournament games into account for this either so all my drafting wouldn't stop me coming up against a new player

I haven't heard any plans about fixing this being a priority, the only things people are counting on right now are 1) Open Beta 2) Arena 3) Set 2

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I am actually liking the game, it just feels like a very odd time to open the floodgates and let people in. The ratio of burnouts to new paying customers is probably going to be sky high.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

MrBims posted:

I am actually liking the game, it just feels like a very odd time to open the floodgates and let people in. The ratio of burnouts to new paying customers is probably going to be sky high.

For me, the big appeal, is super cheap drafting. I don't think it'll hook too many people who don't have a history on MTGO or Magic. But, for people like me, who are really tired of MTGO, it's absolutely amazing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I kickstarted this and had fun drafting for awhile but at this point I'm just waiting for set 2 drafting or some sort of substantial PvE. It's a fun game but they're going to need to step up the pace of content creation at some point.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Just managed to draft a very interesting almost-mono-blood deck - managed to get two Brood Creepers, Corrupt Harvester, double Wailing Banshee and double Blood Aura, alongside a Terrible Transfer and triple Atrophy to play alongside Zared (with a bunch of other value 2 and 3 drops in the mix). Should be an interesting set of games, doubly so since I didn't see many amazing things wheeling around the table.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I kickstarted this and had fun drafting for awhile but at this point I'm just waiting for set 2 drafting or some sort of substantial PvE. It's a fun game but they're going to need to step up the pace of content creation at some point.

I would imagine their plan is to eventually hit the same kind of release pacing that Magic has. They are well aware of the need to release Set 2 but I believe the upgrade to the new version of Unity signified a lot of back-end changes and broken poo poo.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Round 1, still in game 1. I'm up against a weird gain life green deck whose goal was to stall to a Wrathwood Colossus. Unfortunately for him, I got a Blood Savant suited up with Blood Aura and had 11 shards up. So began the circlejerk of lifegain.

E: At about 15 minutes on his clock (I was at 16, I'd been saving time anticipating a need of it) my opponent disconnected. 5 minutes later, and through sideboarding, still gone, so I got the match win. A shame that it turned out that way, but I guess I'll take it.

E2: Round 2 went up against a Diamond/Sapphire... control deck? I think? I dunno, he had some Time Ripples and Repels, and not much else. Best part was the 4 card stack we wracked up in game 1 fighting over his last three points of life. I attacked with two Banshees, he Repelled Banshee #1, so I Stoneskinned. His response was Repel Banshee #2, so I hit #1 with Blood Aura. I mean, he was gonna die anyways (and I was still at a perfect 20), but it was fun at least. Other players are just heading into game 2, so round 3 may or may not launch soon.

E3: Round 3 was against a Diamond/Blood/Ruby monster. He was packing Heat Wave, and a good chunk of Diamond/Blood removal. He got me game 1 when I drew poorly, but I managed to get him in the next 2 rounds. We had very similar deck designs, but ultimately I managed to make a few better decisions to get in the win. Good times!

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 30, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I got

1 VIP Ticket
200 Platinum
6 Booster Packs

For the bugs I encountered during the VIP tournament. My card pool was so bad I consider this an excellent victory. They further asked for more information, some of which I had already given them. Whatever, I'll just give it to them again.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
why's the op say it's a tcg, but derives influence only from ccgs, can i not trade my cards? wouldn't want another solforge. thanks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

THE PENETRATOR posted:

why's the op say it's a tcg, but derives influence only from ccgs, can i not trade my cards? wouldn't want another solforge. thanks.

They're working on the trading. Right now, you can send cards to other people and they can send other cards back, but there's no official trading mechanism yet.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea, CZE are very generous with compensation when poo poo goes wrong

I was reading this article earlier today and apparently MTGO pulls this kind of crap all the time where they will just revert a tournament that is most of the way through; much better to compensate and keep everything moving in my opinion

(obviously there would be no way to properly compensate when real-life prizes are on the line which is the thrust of the article, but Hex doesn't do physical :))

edit: also yes one-way trading is in which for Goons / friends should be fine for now, if you want to trade with pubs better to do it on the Auction House anyway

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Some Numbers posted:

They're working on the trading. Right now, you can send cards to other people and they can send other cards back, but there's no official trading mechanism yet.

:eyeball pop:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

There's also an auction house where you can buy and sell cards and packs for both gold(game currency) and platinum(real money currency).

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
So wait, if I get a sicknasty card from a booster, I can sell it for platinum?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Yes, on the auction house.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Yeah, you can also sell the booster, or any of the items you get.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
whoa... do people buy those

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

People buy boosters so they can draft.

Drafting is cool.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

THE PENETRATOR posted:

whoa... do people buy those

Yeah, I've sold like 200 boosters

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This website has (out-of-date) AH price data for all the cards so you can get the jist of what kind of price-ranges most rares / legendaries / etc go for - just click on each card and it should be in the bottom-right

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Mikujin posted:

Either way, I'm totally in for this since it'll be a good way to start getting into more constructed Hex, even if it's limited in scope.

I snagged your info from the Hexagoon spreadsheet. So you're signed up!

(As of this reply, so are MrBims and Blazing Zero)

Sigma-X posted:

So for this goon tournament, we can basically turbocharge one of the starter decks, but we can't cross the streams?

That is a good description of the intent, yeah. It limits the creativity capacity of the tournament but it lets people who just signed up get on board with absolute minimal investment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Yeah.

The general pattern I follow these days is after each draft, I sell off whatever excess good cards I got and the packs I won. Usually it works out to a profit over the "cost of the draft (roughly five or six bucks, depending). Of course I still have the 1-free-draft-a-week from the Kickstarter, so that makes it easier, but even accounting for that the cost of each draft can net out to pretty small once you've got an established collection and feel comfortable selling off the extras you get. I very rarely (essentially never?) put "new" money into the game at this point.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 30, 2014

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
I'll sign in for the tourney. I have a bit of an odd schedule though since my days off rotate.

SA Name: Padomyme
IGN: Xobraix
Common play times: Most days I can play starting at 10:00pm-12:00am UTC. On my days off which rotate Mon-Tu then Sat-Sun one week and W-Th-F the next week I can play at pretty much any time during the day.

Padomyme fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 30, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Afgad posted:

I snagged your info from the Hexagoon spreadsheet. So you're signed up!
I guess I should have also listed that my preferred availability is Tues/Wed/Thur evenings, Sat/Sun more or less all day. Mondays and Fridays I'm not typically available.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm going to do my first draft tomorrow I think, with the hope that it can at least pay for another one. Would yall agree that cherrypicking rares with tcgbrowser open in a Swiss is a safe way to go? I still don't feel like I've gotten a full overview of deck possibilities, just because of the 'bring your T1' meta of proving grounds.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 31, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MrBims posted:

I'm going to do my first draft tomorrow I think, with the hope that it can at least pay for another one. Would yall agree that cherrypicking rares with tcgbrowser open in a Swiss is a safe way to go? I still don't feel like I've gotten a full overview of deck possibilities, just because of the 'bring your T1' meta of proving grounds.

IIRC most rares aren't worth poo poo so unless you see a legendary or one of the few especially powerful rares (extinction, soul marble etc) you're better off drafting to win than raredrafting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MrBims posted:

100%. Most of us do that in competitive drafts too, because picking a rare that will pay for a draft is just good business. Also, most rares worth a few hundred platinum are also very strong in draft.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC most rares aren't worth poo poo so unless you see a legendary or one of the few especially powerful rares (extinction, soul marble etc) you're better off drafting to win than raredrafting.

Truth. You might be able to get your money back rare drafting but with out a legendary in there you aren't going to start your infinite run by rare drafting. You are likely only going to see 4 rare cards at most anyway, and the majority of them are going to be worth about 30 cents to a dollar, if you can get them sold.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah that's why I'll be crosschecking with tcgbrowser. Scan for the blue or red and hit ctrl+f.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MrBims posted:

Yeah that's why I'll be crosschecking with tcgbrowser. Scan for the blue or red and hit ctrl+f.

Prices on tcgbrowser are a bit outdated. I also expect some rares to get slightly more valuable as the market repopulates with open beta.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

High value rares to look out for:

Cerulean Mirror Knight
Xentoth's Inquisitor
Menacing Gralk
Yesterday
Relentless Corruption
Pact of Pain
Living Totem
Soul Marble
Ancestor's Chosen
Royal Falconer
Extinction
Life Siphon
Lord Alexander

(feel free to quote and add to this, to help the newbies starting to draft)

High value legendaries:

Archmage Wrenlocke
Mastery of Time
Angel of Dawn
Vampire King
Zombie Plague
Eye of Creation
His Majesty, King Gabriel

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Put Jadiim on there too, that fucker has put me on my knees twice.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

MrBims posted:

Put Jadiim on there too, that fucker has put me on my knees twice.

He's not really worth all that much monetarily though I don't think, him or Urunazz.

Eye's of Creation (L)
Crash of Beasts (R)

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Here is Stovetop posted:

He's not really worth all that much monetarily though I don't think, him or Urunazz.

Eye's of Creation (L)
Crash of Beasts (R)

Lowest min bid right now is 375 - is that actually too high?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Buyouts are a much better indicator, but I think Jadiim is around 400p.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Anything over 200plat is worth a pack and probably worth picking up.

Jadim is definitely worth raredrafting. He also wins games if he hits the table.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Sigma-X posted:

Anything over 200plat is worth a pack and probably worth picking up.

Jadim is definitely worth raredrafting. He also wins games if he hits the table.

Listen to this man; he speaks wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I pretty much always raredraft. Bird in the Hand. You can draft a great deck and still lose if the cards fall badly. On the other hand, draft three rares worth $2 each and you've paid the cost of the draft.

Other cards that are surprisingly valuable -- Shrine of Prosperity, Ragefire, relentless corruption, protectorate defender, wild root dancer, eldritch dreamer.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 31, 2014

• Locked thread