Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Kinda half rear end watched this movie on Netflix today, but honestly I wasn't paying attention and the movie wasn't good enough to re-watch. Who the hell was the bad guy in this movie? Some sort of shadow government who made money doing shady road construction or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The villain was legendary film director Werner Herzog. Tom Cruise killed him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

The villain was legendary film director Werner Herzog. Legendary film actor Tom Cruise killed him.

ftfy

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
ty, good call

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jai Courtney was pretty cool in it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jack Reacher FTW

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I didn't see it, OP

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I didn't see it, OP

you should, it's good

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Alec Eiffel posted:

Jack Reacher FTW

It's the ultimate Dad Movie, I love it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jack Reacher is great because the books are a really great parody of the All American Badass Shitkicker written by a Brit that also function perfectly played straight and the movie picked up on that and ran with it. Everything is pushed just far enough that it's gotta be a joke. Every woman wants to gently caress him, even the fat chick at goodwill. He hands the lawyer the solution specifically so he can show off how smart he is. His opponents are vaguely European, probably Russian, possibly gay. Jack Reacher is the epitome of the American Male Power Fantasy and it's hilarious.

The books are also really good and you should read a few. I blitzed through the first five in a week last winter when work was slow. Good poo poo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Harime Nui posted:

It's the ultimate Dad Movie, I love it
Seconding this.

Tom Cruise just elevates mediocre movies in cool ways.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

This movie has a LOT of moving parts for what ends up being a very simple plot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If anybody wants to read a good Reacher book either the one that starts with him stepping into a domestic dispute and ends with him driving the bad guys' Jeep through the wall of their house or the one where he visits Hope and Despair and punches a guy so hard he falls on his back and pukes like a geyser is a good place to start. Those are my favorites.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jack Reacharound

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
why would you cast tom cruise as a guy named jack reacher when he is such a tiny, tiny man

is this worth watching for herzog's villain?

Danny Glover
Nov 7, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

He's one of many reasons to watch this

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Illinois Smith posted:

why would you cast tom cruise as a guy named jack reacher when he is such a tiny, tiny man

dude runs like an olympic relay racer

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you aren't a fan of the books or even if you are but can get past the fact that Cruise looks nothing like Reacher, you'll enjoy this movie. Tom Cruise has proven that he knows how to make really entertaining action blockbusters, I don't think that's really debatable at this point.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Movie is good, books are better, Cruise ain't bad but I do wish they had done better casting except Herzog who should be a Die Hard villain if McTiernan ever decided to direct another one. He'd be a perfect father for the Gruber bros.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh man, Herzog as Papa Gruber would be siiiiiiiick

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The problem is that this is a Tom Cruise project from beginning to end, so the movie wouldn't even exist without his involvement. He chooses which scripts he will make then gets them greenlit with his name attached.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

The best thing is that this is a Tom Cruise project from beginning to end, so the movie wouldn't even exist without his involvement. He chooses which scripts he will make then gets them greenlit with his name attached.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Illinois Smith posted:

It's especially funny because Jack Reacher as described in the books is like seven feet tall and a million pounds of DEATH.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh man, Herzog as Papa Gruber would be siiiiiiiick

Only if we get a stinger where Uncle Gruber is Hugo Weaving doing his Warner Herzog interpretation.

Also Tom Cruise has conviction in his delivery and confidence in his action. So it's believable. Otherwise who would be a good pick...Daniel Craig?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Literally The Worst posted:

It's especially funny because Jack Reacher as described in the books is like seven feet tall and a million pounds of DEATH.

I read an article where the director pretty much said that Reacher has to be that big in the books since we can't see him. He has to have a reason for being imposing right off the bat. Tom Cruise projects a certain intensity that we can see, so he doesn't have to be a 6'14" and the super best guy at everything he does.

I liked the movie. That Chevelle was loving beautiful.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

I remember a scene in the movie where David Oyelowo asks a hotel receptionist if they have any guests who could kill someone with one punch and she's like "Maybe the guy in room 11, you'll know what I mean when you see him" but it's just Tom Cruise.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Professor Clumsy posted:

I remember a scene in the movie where David Oyelowo asks a hotel receptionist if they have any guests who could kill someone with one punch and she's like "Maybe the guy in room 11, you'll know what I mean when you see him" but it's just Tom Cruise.

Tom Cruise could kill you with one punch with his Thetan superpowers.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I read an article where the director pretty much said that Reacher has to be that big in the books since we can't see him. He has to have a reason for being imposing right off the bat. Tom Cruise projects a certain intensity that we can see, so he doesn't have to be a 6'14" and the super best guy at everything he does.

I liked the movie. That Chevelle was loving beautiful.

He's still the super best ever though, that doesn't change, but that's part of that parody thing I mentioned earlier.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tom Cruise could kill you with one punch with his Thetan superpowers.

He's still the super best ever though, that doesn't change, but that's part of that parody thing I mentioned earlier.

I'm sorry, you're absolutely correct. He's still pretty much the ultimate one upper, but he just doesn't have to be a gigantic super awesome headbutting perfect time keeping machine, he can be a pint size super awesome headbutting perfect time keeping machine that can totally kick your rear end.

I enjoyed the fight where he kept asking the guys if they wanted to keep fighting.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Jack Reacher is a pretty fun and good movie. Tom Cruise is awesome in everything, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm sorry, you're absolutely correct. He's still pretty much the ultimate one upper, but he just doesn't have to be a gigantic super awesome headbutting perfect time keeping machine, he can be a pint size super awesome headbutting perfect time keeping machine that can totally kick your rear end.

I enjoyed the fight where he kept asking the guys if they wanted to keep fighting.

The one in the bathtub that's basically a Three Stooges routine is best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got over the size issue after the first few minutes, but then one scene happened and took me right out. In the book when the bad guy punches that girl so hard she dies, the cops blame it on Reacher because "Who else could've beaten someone to death with one punch...? Maybe the really big dude that just rolled into town." I figured they'd do a different excuse in the film, but they didn't. No matter what movie, I could never believe Tom Cruise could one hit punch anyone to death.

Minor issue in a great movie.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

The one in the bathtub that's basically a Three Stooges routine is best.

This is correct

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jack Reacher is, dope

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Books bad

Film okay-ish

Tom Cruise awesome

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Maybe fi you're living in Backwardstan, ruled by President Noperson

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
No the books are hot steaming trash garbage

The movie's good though. Cruise is so cool he did all of his own stunt driving. all of it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've only read the one book that the movie was based on but it, was good.

the movie was also basically a word-for-word adaptation with the exception of icing herzog at the end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wandle Cax posted:

No the books are hot steaming trash garbage

The movie's good though. Cruise is so cool he did all of his own stunt driving. all of it

The books are only bad if you don't want to read a Brit laughing at the idea of the Hyper American Badass OORAH while also doing a good Hyper American Badass OORAH story.

I need to figure out which one is the one that starts iwth a domestic dispute. You know the "Do you want to fight me" scene in the movie? In the book I'm thinking of, he does the same basic thing, except without using his hands, because he hurt his shoulders at the end of the previous book (which ended like 12 hours before that one). Just kicks the poo poo out of three linebackers, literally.

And then at the end he drives the evil company town owners/child molesters' Jeep through their wall and kills them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

I got over the size issue after the first few minutes, but then one scene happened and took me right out. In the book when the bad guy punches that girl so hard she dies, the cops blame it on Reacher because "Who else could've beaten someone to death with one punch...? Maybe the really big dude that just rolled into town." I figured they'd do a different excuse in the film, but they didn't. No matter what movie, I could never believe Tom Cruise could one hit punch anyone to death.

Minor issue in a great movie.

They should've changed it so that someone ran over the girl. Not with a car, someone just literally ran over her and she died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They still would've suspected Reacher because Tom Cruise is Reacher and Tom Cruise could kill someone by running over them. How can anyone not like his movies, he's insane in the best way because he thinks a ghost of an alien lives inside him and makes him invincible which in turns makes him want to do every insane stunt in the movies he's in and every time it's like holy poo poo, he actually did that stunt.

• Locked thread