Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Every season I elect not to vote, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
It's almost like the two-party system is a good cop/bad cop routine on behalf of finance

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

First past the post voting is dumb and our electoral college system is bad, but most of the time when people say what you just said they lead right into a tirade about how both parties are "the same" and that's the dumbest of all.

They're not the same at all obviously but whoever you vote for brings the country that much closer to the cliff. In those circumstances voting is just degrading. If someone who had kidnapped me asked me to choose if I wanted my little finger or the index to be cut off I'd flip him off

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Everyone in every era of every country and society ever anywhere on earth has thought that everything was obviously going to hell and they were going to fall off a cliff any day now.

We have some big problems but Americans are better off than ever before in countless ways. And there are actually important and good things that politicians do and accomplish, even if they also constantly gently caress up.

Voting, by itself, may not be enough to fix what's broken in our government, but not voting is even less effective.

e. specifically, not voting for the party interested in progressing the country rather than regressing it

First sentence is flat out wrong, there's been lots of periods marked by optimism. And poo poo really has gone to hell numerous times all over the world. Second of all the majority doesn't vote, so the election is really determined by the non-voters, ie. if you could get 2% of non-voters to vote for your guy the election would have gone the other way. So it's really the non-voters who decide the outcome.

But my main gripes with voting are that whoever of the two fungible fakers assume a particular office is becoming increasingly irrelevant to reality. And you're far more likely to be hit by a car on the way to the polls than you are of affecting the outcome of an election, to say nothing of changing anyone's circumstances. With the fake-rear end party system they're basically holding poors, blacks and gays hostage in exchange for further legitimizing the whole farce with a vote. Can you blame people if they laugh that poo poo off and go back to playing xbox?

Beef Turret fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 29, 2014

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Bring back LF, then burn it down with the posters trapped inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
You're a levelheaded paragon of empathy, Muttonchips. Truly.

• Locked thread