Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Daily Driver? 2012 Mazda2 in BLACK

Race Car? 1994 Miata in BLACK

Cell phone? It's Korean, but it's still a Nexus 5 in BLACK

Camera? Fuji X series in BLACK

Chump car build out? Lexus SC300 in BLACK

The color of my heart? ... black :smith:

So this year's been good and interesting. Got a promotion at work, Miata hasn't blown up on me (yet), dumped a girlfriend, bought a camera, hung out with destructo a bunch, was banned from mnet, crewed for a team that won the 24 hour VIR Chump race, got dumped by a girlfriend, went in on a Chump Car with a few friends, and I'm on target to lose 40lbs by the end of the year. A good year.

This is going to be a catch-all to include developments with both the Miata and SC300 (and anything else that comes along). I think the Miata I'm just going to drive until it blows up because I really don't feel like tossing money at it if it's working. When it does give up the ghost, I'm probably going to do a K24 swap into it since the prospect of losing a bunch of PTE races isn't really high on the bucket list of things to do. As for the SC300, we bought it right down the street from the Panoz factory on Saturday and I have started to clean up the paint a bit. We are borrowing some scales so we can accurately report how much of a diet this boat is going on and do some maintenance to make it to an autocross in November; once the autocross is over, we're looking to have the interior completely stripped out and have it ready to have a cage put into it.

I think it's going to be a pretty simple build that hasn't been done a bunch of times (E30/E36): Find a car with a 6 cylinder that's reliable, suspension that isn't goofy, do some maintenance on it, slap some wide wheels on it, cut some springs, and go racing. If we don't keep our $400 AIV, it's going to be pretty drat close to it. I picked up some 3D modeling software today (found here: http://amzn.to/1tCki2e ) so I can do some mock-ups of livery options. Much like the car, I want to go all out when it comes to the paint job and make it as plausible as possible within reason. Unlike DJCommie, we won't have the hilarity of doing something like Daihatsu Factory Racing; however, I think that tarting up a SC300 that has been in 4 accidents (prior to it's life in Chump) to make it look like a TOM'S car would be hilarious. Slap a がんばろう! 日本 windshield banner from when the earthquake happened in 2011 on it and just make it outrageous. I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You must track down the active suspension for that SC and retrofit it.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Were you driving your Miata near the mall at around 6-7 pm last night?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
As much of an out of control teen I try to come off as, it wasn't me. I drove it on Sunday, though.

Let me know if you want to grab pizza and beer sometime soon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Human Grand Prix posted:

You must track down the active suspension for that SC and retrofit it.

Yup this is the only way. There's no way this will come back and bite you in the rear end during a race.

Look forward to gutting, caging and racing. Look into World Racing League as well as Chump.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You have excellent taste and flavour in cars.

gently caress black paint though, holy poo poo. Anyone want to come polish the single-stage on my 97?

How bad is the SC300 at rallycross?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 29, 2014

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I have zero racing experience, but an SC300 was #1 on my list for a lemons/chump car some day. I can't wait to see how it goes for you!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Love seeing that inside-right tire come up off the pavement.

How did you get you get banned from mnet (unless it's not interesting)?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

a primate posted:

Love seeing that inside-right tire come up off the pavement.

People are really salty about the ND

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You have excellent taste and flavour in cars.

gently caress black paint though, holy poo poo. Anyone want to come polish the single-stage on my 97?

How bad is the SC300 at rallycross?

I try, dude. I try... every... single... day. The SC300 was pretty bad since it was a loose gravel lot and it has an open diff, after once it hooked up it was game on. I confirmed that the ABS works quite well. I haven't done much rally crossing but I managed to finish mid-pack (16 out of 30). Was 93.882 seconds off of first place (1st place got down into the 67s in an STi on rally tires, I got down into the 77s).

a primate posted:

Apparently all opinions need to be respected and not challenged. Especially if you call out people for using minivans for 0-60 benchmarks and making fun of people who are acting as if Mazda just murdered a kitten. They've gone full-on conspiracy theorist the last time I checked, did you know that Mazda might not have even made an ND? Makes u think...

Nodoze posted:

People are really salty about the ND

This x1000.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
DOUBLE POST ACTION (now with updates)!!

We bought some wheels:

Enkei RP-F1s in 17x9 +45mm offset wrapped in Contis.

Did some test fitting:

They fit.

We have a work day on Sunday to do some really basic maintenance to make sure it doesn't blow up at autocross. We're going to also look at the clearance between the spring and the wheel on both the RP-F1s and the TRM STR S2000 wheels. The TRMs are +62 offset, which when you account for the stock wheel size and offset (15x6.5 +50 I think), might cause some issues. I think the final math on it comes out to the wheels being 44mm more inboard versus stock. We wouldn't have these issues if we went with a +20mm wheel and live out our sickest VIP Style wishes, but alas. I'm remaining hopeful, but the Enkeis should fit with no issue.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Black scooter?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A shop has a 2010 Sym Symba. I had an 1981 Honda Passport, and it was brilliant.
I think I might pick up a Grom instead, though.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Will you be pulling the interior out of the SC?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Black car buddies! :respek:

Nice to see you finally got a sports car. Those cheap soarers/SCs are always tempting, it just seems like so much car for the money, especially with the 1JZ

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The interior is getting gutted, it's all ruined anyways. I'll update with pics from the upcoming work day. It smells like old white guy in the cabin.

A "what is a sports car" postulation is really trite and generally awful. The thing doesn't have an LSD and it's a boat, but it's twice as nice as the 1JZ: it has a 2JZ.

E: Just to explain a bit about why we chose the SC300 for a Chump Car... I was pulling for the E36 because you see a bunch of them at track days and whatnot; however, the teams that have won by using the E36 are BMW shops who do "Real Racing". Bimmerworld is a prime example of this, and there was even a write up in GRM saying what the 325 formula is. It's a fast car, but you have to take a few laps and you have zero margin for anything that isn't stock.

Couple this with just dumb poo poo that doesn't make sense like struts, LCAs failing, money shifting, cracking subframes, wheel fitment issues, plastic water pump fins... It seems like a pain in the rear end. The SC is undeveloped and has taken the podium a few times, but it should be able to be a viable platform if all of the drivers are quick. Just from a numbers perspective, the SC weighs more, but it also has a power advantage. The lack of an LSD might be annoying, but we should be able to stiffen up the rear end to make it a non issue.

I'm excited.

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Tan interior, yes? I really need an undamaged passenger seat leather cover to replace my hosed drivers seat cover. SC passenger seats are pretty much my only source, Soarers all have hosed up drivers seats.

Edit: And yes, they are GT cars rather than sports cars. Great for quick, comfy cruising on the highway, not so much on the track. They take Supra bits though....

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I think the Miata I'm just going to drive until it blows up because I really don't feel like tossing money at it if it's working. When it does give up the ghost, I'm probably going to do a K24 swap into it since the prospect of losing a bunch of PTE races isn't really high on the bucket list of things to do.

Waiting on this btw.

What do you mean by losing PTE races? Are you saying that a Miata with a BP has no chance, because if so that kinda sucks.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Can you just MIG lock the rear diff?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Waiting on this btw.

What do you mean by losing PTE races? Are you saying that a Miata with a BP has no chance, because if so that kinda sucks.

I'm slow + Miatas are at a significant disadvantage. Having a K swap would make a nice lapping car just to goof off in.

Ferremit posted:

Can you just MIG lock the rear diff?

Probably, but rather not mess with something like that. It would help when we go off track, though. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Had the first workday and something that was supposed to be easy completely caught us off-guard. We might have a bad head gasket and we need to get the cooling situation figured out. We pulled out some pretty gross looking coolant, but it's hard to tell what has and hasn't been touched. Also learned that the fancy Enkei RP-F1s with the +45 offset won't clear the front brake caliper brackets. The TRM C1 wheels rub on the rear perch. Only way forward is like +20 offset wheels. VIP Status as gently caress.

So today's goals were to weigh the car, change the oil, change the radiator hoses, rip out most of the interior, check wheel fitments, and weigh the car. Let's proceed.

Weigh in:

He basically ripped out the entire cabin:

8/12 CD AUTO CHANGER!?!?

Majestic stable:

This pile grew to cover most of the driveway:

Pioneering it's way into the recycle center:

I will loving murder you with these hinges:

:stare::stare::stare::

Wrapping up:

Currently it has the dash, moonroof, two front seats, and that's about it:

250 pounds later:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Soarer/SC hinges are a thing of beauty. I remember the first time I saw one of those things open its massive goddamn doors in a tiny parking spot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Phone posted:

E: Just to explain a bit about why we chose the SC300 for a Chump Car... I was pulling for the E36 because you see a bunch of them at track days and whatnot; however, the teams that have won by using the E36 are BMW shops who do "Real Racing". Bimmerworld is a prime example of this, and there was even a write up in GRM saying what the 325 formula is. It's a fast car, but you have to take a few laps and you have zero margin for anything that isn't stock.

That's not really true for the central region; Tubby Butterman aren't a BMW shop and they've dominated for several years. Neither are any of the other BMW teams that do well (it was pretty cool sharing a pit with Tubby and Bimmerworld at VIR in 2013 and then beating both of them to come second :D)

Is your SC300 an automatic like Bear Patrol's?

edit - nope looks like a manual.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Soarer/SC hinges are a thing of beauty. I remember the first time I saw one of those things open its massive goddamn doors in a tiny parking spot.

Mine are sagging - the needle bearings inside have collapsed. Replacement (but still broken, all Soarer hinges are or will soon be broken) hinges are £100 per side. There's only one person who reconditions them and of course he's in Australia. They are a work of art - almost as good as the Phaeton trunk hinges.

Damnit Phone, if I lived near you I'd have bought all that interior off you. Tan interiors are rare as poo poo over here. I'm not joking about buying parts from you and having them shipped over!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, we picked a manual car. One less headache to deal with.

ShittyPostmakerPro: dude, there was some gross rear end stains on the carpets and all of the trim was cracked somewhere. Also it's bulky as hell and we hulked out when ripping out the interior.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Are manual SC's hard to come by? Manual Soarers are almost unheard of, I'd have thought it would be worse with a Lexus branded car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Are manual SC's hard to come by? Manual Soarers are almost unheard of, I'd have thought it would be worse with a Lexus branded car.

Phone's is literally the first SC300 manual I've seen pictures of, prior to this I'd only heard that you could get them with a stick.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

AFAIK the SC400/430 were auto only, only the 300 came with a stick. And yeah man-trans luxury cars, at least in America (where Lexus was at the time), are rare as hen's teeth.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If Wikipedia is to be believed, there were 3883 manual SC300s sold in America. The last year they were offered was 1997. They aren't impossible to find, but they are on the rarer side of the spectrum when you figure that a nonzero number of them have been used for parts to make manual SC400s.

Also the power output between the 300 and 400 is kind of peculiar. The 2JZ is rated for 225hp/210ft-lbs whereas the 1UZ is 250hp/260ft-lbs. There's about a 100lb weight penalty on the 400. It would be nice to have the VVTi on the 2JZ since it makes 10 more ft-lbs almost 1k sooner, but beggars can't be choosers.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Fucknag posted:

AFAIK the SC400/430 were auto only, only the 300 came with a stick.

Correct, Toyota has never mated a UZ/UR series to a manual (in a production car).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Had another workday this Saturday. Checked some fitment stuff, gutted the doors, pulled most of the dash; nothing terribly fancy. I also helped a friend replace the u-joint on the driveshaft of her 22RE. And because no good deed goes unpunished, the truck rolled a few feet into the front of the Mazda2. New hood, bumper cover, and plastic support thing is in order. Last week sucked.

At least the +45 RP-F1s clear with a 5mm spacer. Good thing we're swapping out the brakes for something bigger so it definitely won't fit later on. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pulled the motor and transmission on the Lexus and started to work on the wiring. Car goes to the cage builder next week! Gotta clean up the wiring a bit and pull the rest of the HVAC poo poo. 75% of us went to an autocross today; it was kinda cold, but still fun.

Pixxx

Team mates pulling the motor while I gently caress around filming them:

Ejected sunroof:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

leica posted:

No, he's saying he's a girl afraid of competition. The class is fairly soft locally. Also, the fastest car was rolled this year and most of the other cars are dyno classed Miatas anyway.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 17, 2014

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Correct, Toyota has never mated a UZ/UR series to a manual (in a production car).

You can buy a 2UZ-FE powered, Manual, Landcruiser but they arent that common. Using the H151F gearbox, which is loving huge

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Ferremit posted:

You can buy a 2UZ-FE powered, Manual, Landcruiser but they arent that common. Using the H151F gearbox, which is loving huge

2uz is not a real uz. Doesn't count.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So we've barely had the car for a month and it's off to the cage builder. With no engine or interior (or tar), this thing has some 4x4 stance that would make csb jealous.

:nws:

So much tar...

I also went to my friend's farm this weekend:

I think I might be picking up a Racetech 4009HR tomorrow for the car for pennies. I just hope that the tallest member of the team fits in it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So... what did you do with the motor?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's on an engine stand. When the car's at the cage builder, we can do timing belt + water pump and the various oil seals. Also degrease the motor and transmission and put on a new clutch kit.

I need to take a look at the cooling diagram on the car because there's apparently a $500 valve that actuates flow to the heater core and we got rid of it. Need to get the heater core repaired, find some coolant lines that will work, and fab up a box to point a ridiculous fan at it so we can have an overkill defroster/defogger. No sock on a stick for us.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

this thing has some 4x4 stance that would make csb jealous.

confirmed

whats stopping you from grabbing say a copper a6 heatercore and throwing some motorcycle fans on it for a heater? then run a ball valve on the fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nothing. We're looking to just have coolant always flow through the heater core and have a single button to make a 6" Derale go off. I'm basically trying to emulate this: http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/crusher-61450/page6/#post793524

quote:

OEM heater core removed from housing. 6" or so Derale fan, small fabricated sheet aluminum box, OEM dash ducting. Fan is a bit overkill but it blows a fogged windshield dry in about 20 seconds at 80 mph. That its also about 85db goes relatively unnoticed in a 100db interior.
Whole thing weighs maybe 4lbs. Nuclear defroster.

• Locked thread