Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It's going for $400 on ebay. Really disappointed to know it's never getting republished as I've been on a WCCW kick lately and would love to read it.

How bout the kindle version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Doesn't exist.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Titan sinking does touch on the Macho Man--Stephanie fiddling subject. I won't say what; and it's not just a sentence. Mainly on the mystery of why Mcmahon has never made up with Macho, and how each time he's ever brought up, vince would blow a gasket.

It's a good book, and cheap :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

simosimo posted:

Titan sinking does touch on the Macho Man--Stephanie fiddling subject. I won't say what; and it's not just a sentence. Mainly on the mystery of why Mcmahon has never made up with Macho, and how each time he's ever brought up, vince would blow a gasket.

:justpost:

Put in spoilers even.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

simosimo posted:

One page in and I feel like my $5 was well spent.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Death Clutch
The WWE section is too short, but what's there is very good. Brock can't talk about the details of his settlement with WWE, but every meeting before the suit is fair game. Vince had a chance to keep Brock in 2004 and was drat close to bringing him back in 2005 until deciding to bully talent rather than run a business. Brock is insane. His marriage proposal begins with breaking and entering. :3:

Controversy Creates Cash
This is such a wonderfully terrible book. It's basically a work. Eric really is bitter, deflects blame, and doesn't like dirtsheet writers, but he's dialed it all to a 10. It's endlessly quotable for ironic and ridiculous statements. He is especially mad at those unknown fiends who talked to dirtsheet writers.

quote:

If we’d had the time and the focus, we not only would have fired the people responsible, but prosecuted them as well.
If only Eric had the focus of the scorpion.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone read this masterpiece?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/journey-Shield-their-girl/dp/1497571715/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1416949031&sr=8-21&keywords=dean+ambrose

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

About the Author
siobhan clark is 23 years old and is a lovely girl

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Clicking on the author's name, she also has a book about her and Loki. Not Low Ki, sadly.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Controversy Creates Cash
This is such a wonderfully terrible book. It's basically a work. Eric really is bitter, deflects blame, and doesn't like dirtsheet writers, but he's dialed it all to a 10. It's endlessly quotable for ironic and ridiculous statements. He is especially mad at those unknown fiends who talked to dirtsheet writers.
If only Eric had the focus of the scorpion.

I tried re-reading this book a few months ago. I almost threw it out immediately, as Eric rants about how Vince doesn't know how to book, that "cool heels" like Triple H with their leather jackets and sunglasses could never be effective.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

simosimo posted:

Titan Sinking: The decline of the WWF in 1995

I'm intensely curious as to the sourcing of this book's content, because everything else he's written seems to just be compilations of WWF match reviews. My bullshit detector is already ringing.

Also, for those who were turned off by Undisputed, Jericho's third book is actually really very good.

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010
Un-recommended: "The Cruiserweight". I got a free copy for some reason and it basically amounts to poorly written self-insert fanfiction about seducing Brian Kendrick. It's littered with editing errors, and even accidentally calls the protagonist Brian a couple of times instead of whatever his off-brand bootleg name is in the book.

Unrelated: has anyone read that Tank Abbott book? I remember it had a brilliantly awful synopsis.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Has anyone read Hooker? It's back in print and there's a Kindle copy now.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Has anyone read Hooker? It's back in print and there's a Kindle copy now.
I haven't read it but a PSP favorite reviewed it.

quote:

The first clash I had was with my rule about reviewing bought books, but that was the only way to get it, and the nature of the book meant that I simply had to read and review it. While rules are meant to be excepted, I’m reminded once more why I try to hold fast to my rules. I’ve now got a classic book by an all-time great, but no inherent deal to hype it, and one thing about me is set in stone: I’m opinionated without reservation.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Teddy Atlas' book Atlas: From the streets to the ring is pretty great if you're a boxing fan. It can be a little self-serving at times but has lots of anecdotes about Cus D'Amato, Tyson, and Moorer.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gavok posted:

Meanwhile, I totally recommend Andre the Giant: Life and Legend, a graphic novel biography by Box Brown. Brown makes an entire book out of Andre stories, trying to weed out the ones that are a little too unbelievable. Mixed in there are adaptations of televised events (Andre on Letterman, his match with Hogan, his final WWF promo, etc.) with opinionated narration by Brown. Through the book, you get a look at a guy who on one hand seems like this awesome badass who knew he was going to die young, so he lived life to the fullest under his own rules, but on the other hand, you also see him as an irresponsible rear end in a top hat who was constantly depressed over the way normal people looked at him in public.

Bumping this thread up to say that I read this on your recommendation. It was great, a bittersweet read.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I found a copy of Gary Hart's book on ebay under $100 so I grabbed it. It's an incredible read so far. Really a shame they aren't doing anything with another printing/the rights. Has anyone read that book that Bix was shilling about 1930s break of kayfabe, Fall Guys?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I found a copy of Gary Hart's book on ebay under $100 so I grabbed it. It's an incredible read so far. Really a shame they aren't doing anything with another printing/the rights. Has anyone read that book that Bix was shilling about 1930s break of kayfabe, Fall Guys?

Fall Guys is kind of interesting. I wouldn't pay money for it though.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
FYI there is a new revised edition of the Death of WCW which was updated in mid 2014 so it's nice and new. 10 years later from the original date so there's updated bits and reflections of the last 10 years.

Good stuff. I love reading wrestling books, it's a time warp. Where did those 2 hours go?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

simosimo posted:

FYI there is a new revised edition of the Death of WCW which was updated in mid 2014 so it's nice and new. 10 years later from the original date so there's updated bits and reflections of the last 10 years.

Good stuff. I love reading wrestling books, it's a time warp. Where did those 2 hours go?

Oh you mean the 2014 Wrestling Observer Book of the Year award winner?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Also a wrestling called Bret hart has released his memoirs about his dad stretching him. Amazing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Fairly recently, WWE started releasing Choose Your Own Adventure books for kids called Pick Your Path. I had two of them (turns out a third one came out that I never saw) and they're kind of weird and not very good. One of them I transcribed for the most part in its own thread a couple years back, where you try to get into Night of Champions. I mainly remember that the cover is two images of Triple H who is never mentioned in the book itself. The other is about the Royal Rumble where you debut in WWE and choose to be either a face or heel. If you're a face, you start a face/heel tag team with the Miz and compete in a tournament for a title shot. If you go as a heel, you go over Zack Ryder in a qualification match and get entered into the Rumble at #1. Shockingly, the author accurately included an exact 30 names in that match.

The highlight is a scenario where Chris Jericho convinces you to do a gimmick called the Caveman Kid, which you can totally own and get over with. Then they decide to send you to Japan where you get mega over.

• Locked thread