Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Gather round ye garbagemen, ye lovers of poo poo soccer. Here we say goodbye to one team that nobody liked and say hello to two new teams that nobody will like.

Don't poo poo up the playoff thread with the exciting news that your no good club signed the Swedish 3rd division's 5th best goal scorer, do that here.

Welcome:

The Yankees of MLS: in that they will be poo poo and not make the playoffs.

Awesome purple team that will definitely not be made up of fat old Brazilians.

New alignment:

East
Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
D.C. United
Montreal Impact
New England Revolution
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Orlando City
Philadelphia Union
Toronto FC

West
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Sporting Kansas City
LA Galaxy
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders
Vancouver Whitecaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Steve Zakuani is retiring at 26, good job Brian Mullan.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

ShutteredIn posted:

Aw, that Sucks. :(

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

foobardog posted:

Aw, that Sucks. :(

not for the Timbers, it doesn't.

he'll be a good youth coach somewhere, for sure.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

ShutteredIn posted:

drat. One leg injury too many I guess.

We'll always have 2009-2010, Steve.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That's lovely for Zakuani, but I am not unhappy to see his roster spot & salary cap space opened up.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Sean Johnson will once again be training in England during the offseason, this year with Hull City.

It's really only a matter of time before he leaves the Fire, I think. He really is our best player by far.

At least in the short term, I think the new alignment will be good for Chicago, or at worst a wash. Getting rid of two teams we've struggled against the last couple of years (especially Houston) hopefully means a slightly easier road to the playoffs.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 29, 2014

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
can I post about the red bulls here since I'll be posting about them tomorrow night anyway

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

ShutteredIn posted:

How will this affect his rap career

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

fat greasy puto posted:

can I post about the red bulls here since I'll be posting about them tomorrow night anyway

Please don't, this is a safe space for losers.

Lamont Cranston posted:

Well he doesn't have to talk about how he works anymore.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lamont Cranston posted:

Can't make it any worse

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i can't tell you how hyped i am to once again have our season end in october

it's a considerable amount of hype

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

i can't tell you how hyped i am to once again have our season end in october

it's a considerable amount of hype

Same and I'm gay

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

ShutteredIn posted:

He was so drat good before that injury :( gently caress off forever Mullan.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Same and I'm gay

Same but not hyped.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Lamont Cranston posted:

MC Mullan's rap career will continue unabated.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

DR AIDS posted:

He was so drat good before that injury :( gently caress off forever Mullan.

Mullan announced his retirement as well I think so...

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm trying to figure out if its going to be The Rapids or the Earthquakes that take the place of Chivas as the most crap/heartbreaking team in MLS. It's gonna be a dogfight.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

quote:

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has confirmed he will be investing in a new Los Angeles based Major League Soccer club as part of a big-name consortium.

The Bluebirds owner will join Hollywood producer Peter Guber, venture capitalist Henry Nguyen and Basketball analyst Tom Penn at the top table of a rebranded club that will replace Chivas USA in the MLS.

Tan, who revealed he could invest in the MLS during a Sky Sports interview last month, confirmed his part in the $100m plan at the Forbes Global CEO Conference in Singapore.

After weeks of Stateside speculation, Channelnewsasia today quote the Bluebirds owner as saying the official announcement will take place in “the next couple of days," adding that he considers investing in football as “the new frontier.”

Tan told the audience that he was in football for the long-term, adding: “I have lost enough money to have learnt how to earn money in football.

“New investors like me want to disrupt the football industry and I believe I will make money - it just needs time.”

Disrupt the football industry

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tom Penn?!?!?!

----

Portland started bad and ended strong and the latter wasn't good enough to tip over the former. Ah well. Can't cry too much. Next year is our year. gently caress Seattle.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Xylorjax posted:

MC Mullan's rap career will continue unabated.

I hear his new LP 'Career A$$a$$in' is doing well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does NYCFC have a club nickname yet? Orlando's name is obvious (those motherfuckers who stole our team), but are we just going to call them the Sky Blues/Citizens like we do with Man City?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

Does NYCFC have a club nickname yet?

'those cunts'

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Plastics

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Orlando's going to walk all over the league, and by "Orlando" I mean a fat supporter in a purple Spiderman costume, and by "league" I mean a small child in an opposing team's supporter's section.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Looking forward to FC Dallas versus Seattle.

I don't have high hopes for the hoops, but hopefully Mark Geiger refs our games. :lol:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Union are bad

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The new LA team is named "Los Angeles Football Club", and they'll apparently play in the 93k seat LA Coliseum (lol).

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

trem_two posted:

The new LA team is named "Los Angeles Football Club", and they'll apparently play in the 93k seat LA Coliseum (lol).

And their colors are red and black.

ZERO EFFORT SC

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hoover Dam posted:

ZERO EFFORT SC

Wow. We heard it was going to be LASC and be red/black back when the sale was announced. Can't believe they just didn't even try.

edit: loving Tony Robbins is part of this 20-man ownership group. I hope this is as big of a clusterfuck as it looks.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 30, 2014

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
This morning: "Gee, the Rapids were awful this year but at least it's over and I can watch the MLS playoffs."

Well, the hilarity isn't over juuuust yet:

link

quote:

Colorado Rapids sue Ciao Telecom over missed sponsorship payments

The Colorado Rapids filed a lawsuit Tuesday in U.S. District Court alleging Ciao Telecom's parent company has failed to make nearly half a million dollars in jersey sponsorship payments.

The lawsuit claims Global Logistics Solutions LLC has missed two payments and seeks the $485,000 that is owed as well as attorney fees and unspecified damages.

The Rapids signed the jersey sponsorship, worth $8.3 million over five years, on April 29.

Ciao's logo has been emblazoned on the front of the club's jerseys since the Rapids' May 4 game against the Los Angeles Galaxy.

According to court documents obtained by The Denver Post, GLS agreed to pay the Rapids $80,000 to close the sponsorship deal, but only $75,000 was paid. Payments of $240,000 due on July 30 and Sept. 30 were not made. Another $240,000 payment is due Nov. 30.

The deal would have paid the Rapids $800,000 this season, increasing to $1.5 million in 2015, $1.75 million in 2016, $2 million in 2017 and $2.25 million in 2018.

There's more info about how Ciao is basically in serious financial trouble in the link.

However, per our intrepid now fired Rapids beat reporter,

link

quote:

Re #Rapids96 missing shirt sponsor payments: club did not formalize shirt sponsorship with Ciao in Feb. over concerns this might happen.

So I guess the Rapids FO screwed up a shirt sponsorship (which I expected) but they managed to cover their rear end. A little. After the OP deal, the pathetic coaching search and this disastrous season I think the Rapids have taken over for Chivas as the "dysfunctional" team. I'm not sure if I can drink enough to get through next year and not develop liver problems at this rate.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 30, 2014

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

trem_two posted:

I hereby start a petition to call them Chivas 2.0.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Wow. We heard it was going to be LASC and be red/black back when the sale was announced. Can't believe they just didn't even try.

Here's a thing that exists:

http://partners.lafc.com/#Leadership

quote:

Henry Nguyen - Venture Capatilist
Tom Penn - former NBA executive and analytics expert
Peter Guber - Hollywood producer and co-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Golden State Warriors
Allen Shapiro - CEO of dick clark productions
Tony Robbins - life coach, self-help author and motivational speaker
Bennett Rosenthal - Co-Founder/Director, Ares Management LP (Investment Firm)
Brandon Schneider - Vice President, Ticket Sales & Services with Golden State Warriors
Chad Hurley - co-founder and former Chief Executive Officer of YouTube
Harry Tsao - Venture Capatilist
Irwin Raij - business lawyer and co-chair of his firm’s Sports Industry Team
Jason Sugarman - Founding Partner at Wealth Assurance Holdings
Kirk Lacob - Assistant General Manager, Golden State Warriors (Son of majority owner)
Larry Berg - Senior partner at Apollo Global Management, private equity firm
Magic Johnson
Mia Hamm
Mike Mahan - president of dick clark productions
Mark Leschly - managing partner of Rho Capital Partners and Rho Ventures
Nomar Garciaparra
Paul Schaeffer - Vice Chairman/COO: Mandalay Television, Mandalay Pictures, Mandalay Vision (All companies founded by Paul Guber)
Rick Welts - President and Chief of Operations for the Golden State Warriors
Ruben Gnanalingam - Malaysian businessman
Vincent Tan - Malaysian businessman and investor

Tigren fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2014

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I have a feeling we're going to have another RBNY on our hands. I can forsee a string of expensive, foreign coaches who have no idea how the league works and the club spending tons of money to be relevant and only after about 4-5 coaching changes will they get it somewhat right.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
What's wrong with red and black besides being superior to all other kit colors?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Gigi Galli posted:

It's taken?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Hoover Dam posted:

ZERO EFFORT SC

A low effort red and black football team you say

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Every other league in the world has teams who clash colors, just apply it differently. If they were in DC it would be a problem, but they're on the other side of the country.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

It's a joke, he was referring to the colours of his boyhood club Inter Milan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Gigi Galli posted:

Nothing, but when half the drat league is red and/or blue you like a little variety. They should no-poo poo make the Miami Beckhams pink and black, Palermo style.

• Locked thread