Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I mean idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

unicorns?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

no, unions are for lazy filth takers, hth.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
The reason Libertarians hate unions is because working together and empathy for other people are things Objectivists can't do because they are all sociopaths

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
unions remove a working force from the effects of the free market, so no no they shouldn't.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Shouldnt dumb fucks.....fart

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Shouldn't librarians love unicorns?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
The diminishing union membership over the years and the diminishing middle class over the years are merely a coincidence, OP.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they also dont want taxes to pay for roads

so

i guess they dont like intersections either

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

libertarians love getting hosed in the rear end by their bosses or loving their employees in the rear end. all other considerations are secondary.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

TOILETLORD posted:

unions remove a working force from the effects of the free market, so no no they shouldn't.

but workers form them freely as a result of the free market. it seems like an arbitrary cap on how "free" the market really is

op has a point

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
im pretty convinced anybody who defends unions in 2014 has

1) never worked with anybody in a union
2) is in a union and enjoys being lazy
3) parents were in a meaningful union when they were young

idea != reality

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i was in a union with your mom's poosay last night, op

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only the rich are supposed to be able to collaborate with each other, anything else is class warfare

Unions also democratize the workplace and libertarians hate mixing democracy and capitalism

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 29, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Dude, what the gently caress did you just say to me

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
There may be some concept called "Libertarianism" that would be OK with unions, but in practice people that identify as Libertarian are actually just extreme Republicans that smoke weed. hth

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

LifeSizePotato posted:

but workers form them freely as a result of the free market. it seems like an arbitrary cap on how "free" the market really is

op has a point

no it makes them immune from free market forces for the duration of their union contract with their employer. If workers want higher wages, they need to instead of voting democrat or republican just vote for people that will create a labor shortage in the workforce, making them valuable. Increase tarrifs, slash or remove all immigration, heck promote women staying home as birthing machines again, and cut down the available work force to force wages up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

im pretty convinced anybody who defends unions in 2014 has

1) never worked with anybody in a union
2) is in a union and enjoys being lazy
3) parents were in a meaningful union when they were young

idea != reality

That's like saying that because cops are lovely like 99 times out of 100 we don't need cops. The very fact that we need them so badly is exactly why they usually end up so lovely.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

mind the walrus posted:

That's like saying that because cops are lovely like 99 times out of 100 we don't need cops. The very fact that we need them so badly is exactly why they usually end up so lovely.

not really just decriminalize shooting people for acting lovely in public, no need for cops because that's their number one function.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
libertarians are incapable of love. it would be against their rational self-interest.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Oh yeah let's expect the libertarians to logically look at the world. And while we're at it could you ask Kate Upton if she'll come give me a dick massage?

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Going on strike or having a sit in is an assault on the bosses private property.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

I am not a book posted:

Oh yeah let's expect the libertarians to logically look at the world. And while we're at it could you ask Kate Upton if she'll come give me a dick massage?

I asked and Kate said “To say "I love you" one must know first how to say the "I".”

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

no it makes them immune from free market forces for the duration of their union contract with their employer. If workers want higher wages, they need to instead of voting democrat or republican just vote for people that will create a labor shortage in the workforce, making them valuable. Increase tarrifs, slash or remove all immigration, heck promote women staying home as birthing machines again, and cut down the available work force to force wages up.

Lol, yeah that totally won't result in manufacturing jobs being shipped overseas.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Melmac posted:

I asked and Kate said "is man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

It's not sweat I'm thinking about :wink:
It's the blood of the capitalists

edit: you ninjaediting sonofabitch

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

skeletonotherkin posted:

Lol, yeah that totally won't result in manufacturing jobs being shipped overseas.

if tarrifs for incoming goods are raised to the point that isn't feasible, then no no they won't.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

if tarrifs for incoming goods are raised to the point that isn't feasible, then no no they won't.

Wait, why are you, a libertarian arguing for loving tarrifs?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

skeletonotherkin posted:

Wait, why are you, a libertarian arguing for loving tarrifs?

because i'm a fiscal republican.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

more like lolbertarians right guys? :hfive:

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

because i'm a fiscal republican.

My bad, I only half read your post.

City of Tampa posted:

There may be some concept called "Libertarianism" that would be OK with unions, but in practice people that identify as Libertarian are actually just extreme Republicans that smoke weed. hth

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

skeletonotherkin posted:

My bad, I only half read your post.

also i work in a union currently, all my raises are determined by how many hours for the company i work over time and nothing else so i work less than people doing the same work as me for higher pay. this is what people mean when they say unions are for the lazy, they mean it limits incentive to work.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

1gnoirents posted:

Dude, what the gently caress did you just say to me

I also hung out in your mom's vagina.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

TOILETLORD posted:

also i work in a union currently, all my raises are determined by how many hours for the company i work over time and nothing else so i work less than people doing the same work as me for higher pay. this is what people mean when they say unions are for the lazy, they mean it limits incentive to work.

Good, in our post-scarcity society all work is meaningless and should be limited as much as possible.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

libertarians hate unions because they're temporarily embarrassed captains of industry and unions make exploiting their soon-to-be-self-made-industry's workforce harder

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BeefThief posted:

libertarians love getting hosed in the rear end by their bosses or loving their employees in the rear end. all other considerations are secondary.

yeah pretty much this

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Parallax Scroll posted:

they also dont want taxes to pay for roads

so

i guess they dont like intersections either

Um if you even do Venn diagrams you would realize that intersections and unions are different.

Idiot.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
most taxes that are collected aren't really used for anything good, most of our infrastructure is falling apart due to our tax dollars, for repairs being wasted by politicians, padding their pockets, and their friends pockets with money until nothing gets done. how can it hurt to just let people keep more of their money if the work never gets done anyway?

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

TOILETLORD posted:

At my current non-union job, the competent low level employees are the only ones who ever enforce discipline. Management is largely unconcerned and detached. Despite this we do quite well and survived the recession while many of our competitors didn't. In addition to this most of my work life has been spent dealing with modern day Taylorism at various retail jobs. I've always had my work ethic taken advantage of in one way or another. Also in response to your last post regarding tariffs, I can't imagine capital not eventually finding a way to undermine such legislation.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 29, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

gender illusionist posted:

Shouldn't librarians love unicorns?

I think they do.👉👈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I know "union workers are lazy" is one of those common knowledge things but don't all the stats actually show they're on average more productive?

• Locked thread