Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

At the end of last season, Joan began searching for apartments away from the brownstone, and away from Holmes. Sherlock took her decision to live apart quiet poorly and went off in search of a new adventure of his own. Only instead of moving across town, he flies across the ocean to work for MI6 in London. As the season begins Sherlock has arrived back in New York and wishes to take up his old job consulting for the NYPD, only to find that they already have a consulting detective in his old partner, Joan Watson.

... I suppose we need more in the OP than just Clyde.

Jonny Lee Miller is Sherlock Holmes

Lucy Liu is Joan Watson

Aidan Quinn is Captain Tobias Gregson of the NYPD

Jon Michael Hill is Detective Marcus Bell. Sherlock created a situation in Season 2 which led to Marcus taking a bullet for him and caused a huge rift in their relationship. It was slowly being repaired after Holmes managed to apologize, but their friendship may have been irreparably altered.

Sean Pertwee is Gareth Lestrade, formerly of Scotland Yard, who has also become a consulting detective.

Rhys Ifans is Sherlock's brother, Mycroft Holmes, a restauranteur who embroiled Joan and Sherlock in an extensive plot due to his involvement with MI6.

Natalie Dormer is Jamie Moriarty, Sherlock's nemesis and former lover. In Season 2 she escaped custody to rescue a little girl who had been kidnapped - her daughter. As of Season 3 she is imprisoned again. She likes to paint.

Also significant this season is the addition of Ophelia Lovibond as Kitty Winter, Holmes’ new apprentice. guest star only

:siren: S3 E1 - Enough Nemesis To Go Around :siren:

Holmes returns to New York with a new apprentice and a renewed interest in working with the NYPD after being fired by London’s MI6. However, Captain Gregson won’t let him resume consulting for the department without permission from his former partner, Watson, the NYPD’s new go-to private investigator, on the third season premiere of Elementary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6NLPnRcsE

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Again, Excellent OP, but Tommy Lee Miller is someone very different :)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
His name is Jonny Lee Miller, not Tommy. :ssh:

Hyped as hell for this show to return. Please give us more Moriarty/Joan, show!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Such a good show. I'm stoked!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Same. Tomorrow cannot come fast enough!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

cool kids inc. posted:

Again, Excellent OP, but Tommy Lee Miller is someone very different :)

Whaaaaaat how on earth did that happen?! I could have sworn I wrote Jonny. :argh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Things I like about this show:

- The police are not incompetent, and several times they've beaten Sherlock to a location or conclusion.
- Sherlock pulls his "oh noooo no one understands me, I am forever to a genius jerk" drivel and it always goes south, Joan doesn't take that poo poo
- Clyde
- The way they've developed Moriarty is really nice and thorough, especially given her specific interest in Joan.
- Detective Bell is a well-realized character whose issues with Sherlock are totally legitimate.
- Captain Gregson is a well-realized character whose issues with Sherlock are totally legitimate.
- No "magic logic". Sherlock has to research things.
- Bees
- Deliberately avoids certain cheap, cliche moments like envelopes into the fire or dangerous pizza delivery man
- JLM is an exceptionally talented actor and though the others are good, he simply excels.
- Joan has friends who are skeptical of her deciding to go from surgeon to detective, not portrayed as evil.

Things I don't like:

- Mycroft is gross go away mycroft

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I can't stand the Lestrade character.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pick posted:

Things I don't like:

- Mycroft is gross go away mycroft

There was waaaay too much of him at the end of last season too. I didn't care for the plotline of the last few episodes.

Plus, y'know, that mustache. Euugh

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm so excited for the return of Elementary :dance: Great OP Hollylolly, most important character (Clyde) well represented. (Needs more Ms. Hudson and Alfredo though, maybe?)

My biggest gripe about last season will always be Joan and Mycroft's relationship. It felt cheap and unearned. Rhys Ifans is fine but I really hope they drop or seriously lessen any ongoing thing between Mycroft and Joan.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I wasn't quite into season 2 because of all the drama, but I rewatched season 1 recently and still think it's great. I think the writers watch a lot of other formulaic procedurals and just enjoy loving with people's expectations as to what to expect in a mystery show. Like that pizza delivery scene. And that actor who show up early on with 2 lines of dialogue is absolutely not guaranteed to be the culprit at the end, he usually just never appears again.

Also really like the earth tone palette and the wardrobe in this show of all things, Holmes insisting on buttoning all his stupid shirts all the way to the top just makes sense somehow.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Annakie posted:

I'm so excited for the return of Elementary :dance: Great OP Hollylolly, most important character (Clyde) well represented. (Needs more Ms. Hudson and Alfredo though, maybe?)

My biggest gripe about last season will always be Joan and Mycroft's relationship. It felt cheap and unearned. Rhys Ifans is fine but I really hope they drop or seriously lessen any ongoing thing between Mycroft and Joan.

As I recall it, one of the plot-lines from the episode was that Mycroft has to run a gas station in Bucksnort, TN and otherwise avoid any further contact/communication with Sherlock and Joan lest they all be brutally murdered by French people.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Scorchy posted:

I wasn't quite into season 2 because of all the drama, but I rewatched season 1 recently and still think it's great. I think the writers watch a lot of other formulaic procedurals and just enjoy loving with people's expectations as to what to expect in a mystery show. Like that pizza delivery scene. And that actor who show up early on with 2 lines of dialogue is absolutely not guaranteed to be the culprit at the end, he usually just never appears again.

I also liked the guy who wouldn't give a DNA sample because it was a violation of his civil rights was completely innocent. :monocle:

And in "The Red Team" how the conspiracy nut was just murdered by a friend (as discovered by the police without Sherlock's assistance), it just informed them of another set of murders. And in the bitey serial killer one how the guy who ran from the police only did so because he got freaked out.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 30, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Pick posted:

I also liked the guy who wouldn't give a DNA sample because it was a violation of his civil rights was completely innocent. :monocle:

And in "The Red Team" how the conspiracy nut was just murdered by a friend (as discovered by the police without Sherlock's assistance), it just informed them of another set of murders. And in the bitey serial killer one how the guy who ran from the police only did so because he got freaked out.

My favorite remains the DNA doctor murderer who only appeared as a painting on the wall until the end scene cause he was sick the whole time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I still love how in one episode, a suspects' alibi was "I couldn't have murdered him because I was too busy planning his murder in the exact same way." :allears:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There was also "I was taking blackmail photos of my neighbor and his mistress" :haw:.

By the way, here's the Polish translation for that episode.

quote:

Note that the actress doesn’t sound Polish and the Polish she uses is kind of butchered - my bet is that she’s a child or a grandchild of Polish emigrants and English is her first language. Some phrases she uses don’t exist in Polish, or sound kind of awkward.

Watson’s first visit at the laundry:

Woman: Dammit, a second client. I can’t watch my programme, someone always spoils it for me. Tell her she has to wait. (Psiakrew, drugi klient, ja nie mogę patrzeć na mojego programa (sic!), ktoś mi zawsze psuje. Powiedz, że ona musi poczekać.)

Guy: She said wait one second, almost commercials.

Woman: (mockingly) Gimme! (normal tone) I don’t think she’s from the neighbourhood. (Dawaj! Ja nie myślę, że ona jest z dzielnicy.)

Guy: She says she’s never seen you before.

Watson: I’m here for a friend. That’s quite a coat.

Guy: It’s warm.

Watson: Don’t you want money?

Guy: How much is it? (Ile to kosztuje?)

Woman: She seems like she’s got a lot of money, let her pay a lot. Maybe she won’t come back. (Ona wyglada jak ma duże pieniądze (sic!) niech dużo płaci, może nie wróci.)

Guy: She says $75.

Watson: For four sweaters!?

Guy: Okay, $19.

Second visit:

Watson: Hi again! Little accident with the sweaters. Slow day yesterday?

Woman: She’s nosy. Always asking about everything. She’s got a nose where it’s not needed (not a real phrase in Polish). Ask her why she wants to know. (Ależ ona wścibska, zawsze się pyta o wszystko. Ma nos gdzie nie potrzebny (sic!). Spytaj się, dlaczego ona chce wiedzieć.)

Guy: She says why do you ask that.

Watson: So she understands English, she just doesn’t speak it. I’m only asking because, uh, that mink coat is in the same exact place it was yesterday, so that means that hasn’t been turned on since I left.

Woman: She’s pissing me off. Let it go, woman. You know why she’s alone? Cause the smart man would go away. (Działa mi na nerwy. Daj spokoj kobieto! Wiesz dlaczego ona jest sama?Bo madry czlowiek by w drugim kierunku (sic!))

Guy: She says slow day yesterday.

Watson: Do dry cleaners get robbed a lot? I just noticed that you have six very expensive security cameras here, and then two more at the front door. Seems like a lot.

Guy: They came when we bought the place. Problem?

Watson: No, that’s not… That’s not a problem. Thanks.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 30, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The pizza delivery scene had me so tense and... it was just pizza! Loved it.

I can't even remember if Ms. Hudson was in season 2. Maybe one or two episodes? I will probably add her back into the OP along with Alfredo. Wonder what happened to the guy Sherlock was sponsoring while Sherlock was in London?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Don't forget the guy Sherlock himself is sponsoring in New York. I hope he shows up this season as well.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Not really a specific character, but I hope Everyone is still a thing this season. I sort of wish this show was on ABC so we could've heard Jonny Lee Miller sing Let It Go in the pink prom dress. Also, Everyone set up one of the cooler moment on the show - Watson defusing danger from the mole by showing that he was being watched by Everyone.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Hopefully less to no Mycroft this season for romantic dramas, go away Mycroft.

I'm actually a little tentative for the new season, I'm not completely sold on the plot lines from what I read in articles. Tis' the season for my favorite shows to falter in quality. :(

That being said, I'm still on board if only to see if more animals can be added to the brownstone. Great OP post by the way! I love how Gregson's picture is just him surrounded by cows.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

johntfs posted:

Not really a specific character, but I hope Everyone is still a thing this season. I sort of wish this show was on ABC so we could've heard Jonny Lee Miller sing Let It Go in the pink prom dress. Also, Everyone set up one of the cooler moment on the show - Watson defusing danger from the mole by showing that he was being watched by Everyone.
I've had enough of self-proclaimed internet vigilantes for a while.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Compendium posted:

That being said, I'm still on board if only to see if more animals can be added to the brownstone.

Well, Clyde was added in Season 1, Romulus and Remus were added in Season 2 so if that keeps up then there's going to be a trio of something added in Season 3! :pseudo:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Regy Rusty posted:

There was waaaay too much of him at the end of last season too. I didn't care for the plotline of the last few episodes.
Multi-episode plots in shows like this are always terrible. One mystery a week, solved by the end of the episode is what I'm here for, this MI6 bullshit is stupid and unnecessary. I'm also hoping to never hear about Moriarty or Lestrade again. Lestrade's not really an ongoing story, I just don't like him.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 30, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought the Season 1 two-parter was excellent, and needed two episodes' worth of time. Otherwise, I tend to be skeptical because you end up with a TV episode the length of a movie, and I don't know. Different rules apply.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I loved the Moriarty stuff from season 1! I don't mind if they keep bringing her back. The Mycroft MI6 stuff just wasn't interesting in any way and I've already forgotten most of the specifics of what happened.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I loved the Moriarty stuff from season 1! I don't mind if they keep bringing her back. The Mycroft MI6 stuff just wasn't interesting in any way and I've already forgotten most of the specifics of what happened.

French people.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Lestrade's not really an ongoing story, I just don't like him.

Sean Pertwee has a regular gig on Gotham so I assume he'll not be back any time soon.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-aB2hU3axc

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

That is fantastic - I am pumped for more Holmes.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, Clyde was added in Season 1, Romulus and Remus were added in Season 2 so if that keeps up then there's going to be a trio of something added in Season 3! :pseudo:

And don't forget the constant, BEES.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yesss a locked elevator mystery.

Elementary is back! :toot:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Two people get in an elevator. It goes down 21 floors without stopping. When it opens, both are dead and covered in blood.

I missed this.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It was a drone imho

or the lizard

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

So Holmes is the tipster?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That is an incredible helmet.

What... what even is that

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Regy Rusty posted:

That is an incredible helmet.

What... what even is that

It's like something out of Bioshock.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
The only thing I didn't like about this is that Kitty is so obviously dead meat.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Wait so there's going to be three of them??

Iowa Snow King posted:

The only thing I didn't like about this is that Kitty is so obviously dead meat.

Yeah she's tragic, and given the spoiler text in the OP it was always heading that way.

Edit: Wait are they killing her off immediately in the next episode? drat.

Edit2: Oh, Kitty was walking beside Holmes when he went down to look under the cars

pik_d fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was rolling my eyes until they actually fit in where you'd get such an electromagnet. There are still some issues but yes, it's hard to get one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Great premiere. I liked them showing Watson is quite competent on her own, and they still showed that Sherlock is still even better.

• Locked thread