Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume Kitty either is or used to be evil and her past will catch up soon.

I'm not sure whether it bugs me or not that nobody commented on Holmes clearly drawing Watson's attention to the shower. She made the connections herself, but he made sure she saw it. With the bullet trajectory strings in the elevator (which I assume were tracked to the grooves) I assume he solved the case within five minutes and played dumb for the rest of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
The reason this show works so well it is allowing Holmes to evolve away from the cold and calculating Holmes we see in other media. Season 1 Holmes probably would blurt out the solution to the crime because he didn't care about anything but solving the puzzle of a crime. Now he keeps his mouth shut because what Joan needed most was to solve it herself.

This is bar none my favorite Holmes adaptation just for that reason.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure whether it bugs me or not that nobody commented on Holmes clearly drawing Watson's attention to the shower. She made the connections herself, but he made sure she saw it. With the bullet trajectory strings in the elevator (which I assume were tracked to the grooves) I assume he solved the case within five minutes and played dumb for the rest of the show.

Yeah he absolutely did figure it out as soon he walked in the room, him not swooping in to solve it was his way of showing he cares. Also had to laugh at Miller holding the coat hangers in the same awkward pose for the entire scene.

The murder method was a little ehh, it would have affected most of the stuff in their pockets as well as the elevator itself, but whatever, that's the convoluted Doyle-esque poo poo I come to the show for so I can't complain.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

I don't know if she's evil, but I do sense a strong aura of Jason Todd about her. I doubt she makes it through mid-season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Scorchy posted:

The murder method was a little ehh, it would have affected most of the stuff in their pockets as well as the elevator itself, but whatever, that's the convoluted Doyle-esque poo poo I come to the show for so I can't complain.

Yeah, I think it's a byproduct of keeping things so novel that supposedly only a great detective would figure it out. It still has nothing on the stupider canon Holmes stories (Speckled Baaaand :argh: ).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

After that episode I kind of want Sherlock written out, or just made a minor character. Joan Watson, Consulting Detective would be a great show. Hopefully it will be better once they reconcile though.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I dunno about Kitty dying, but there is a strong possibility she just can't hack it with Holmes. Her demeanor is pretty tragic and she's moved across the ocean with a genius crazy person. That isn't something normal people just do, Joan aside.

Thought it was a solid mystery, and now Joan has a nemesis all to herself. I do appreciate that they showed us Clyde in the first five minutes or so. The roosters probably got turned into stewtaken to the farm.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hollylolly posted:

I do appreciate that they showed us Clyde in the first five minutes or so. The roosters probably got turned into stewtaken to the farm.

I still imagine a bunch of writers sitting around, staring into their beers. The work they poured into the plot of "The Red Team"! The research, the planning! And it was the person who was like, "I don't know, they can find a listening device in... a... turtle house" whose work became merchandise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

quote:

When it comes to the infamous duo of Sherlock and Watson, you can’t forget the third in their party: Clyde. He may be a bit of a diva sometimes, but he’s got to work hard to keep Sherlock from eating him.

quote:

Where would Sherlock be without the help of his trusted sidekick? Don’t be daft, we’re talking about Clyde, not Watson.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 31, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Oh god, they have Clyde plushes.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
This episode was a bit uncomfortable to me, but maybe that was the point. With what used to be normality (Joan living at the Brownstone, Joan and Sherlock: Super Crime-fighting Duo, an absent Winters, etc.) now just a memory, perhaps the point of the episode was to settle us into these new arrangements. I'm kinda glad the case was fairly simple (I think I saw someone earlier complaining about it?) - it rly needed to be with all of the new stuff. Either way, this season still has me psyched.

I must say, though: before this ep, I had no desire for Joan and Sherlock to romance it up, but after his "You belong here at the Brownstone" line, I went gaga. Or perhaps it was just JLM's regular oozing British, puppy-dog charm.

inklesspen posted:

Oh god, they have Clyde plushes.
*makes grabby hands*

I'll admit, I squealed with delight when Clyde appeared. So glad the writers understand our fondness for that little shelled critter.

And what other way could you possibly reveal Sherlock than with him donning a "isolation helmet"? AND THE HANGERS. Good god, this show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bubblelubble posted:

This episode was a bit uncomfortable to me, but maybe that was the point. With what used to be normality (Joan living at the Brownstone, Joan and Sherlock: Super Crime-fighting Duo, an absent Winters, etc.) now just a memory, perhaps the point of the episode was to settle us into these new arrangements. I'm kinda glad the case was fairly simple (I think I saw someone earlier complaining about it?) - it rly needed to be with all of the new stuff. Either way, this season still has me psyched.

I must say, though: before this ep, I had no desire for Joan and Sherlock to romance it up, but after his "You belong here at the Brownstone" line, I went gaga. Or perhaps it was just JLM's regular oozing British, puppy-dog charm.

*makes grabby hands*

I'll admit, I squealed with delight when Clyde appeared. So glad the writers understand our fondness for that little shelled critter.

And what other way could you possibly reveal Sherlock than with him donning a "isolation helmet"? AND THE HANGERS. Good god, this show.

How is there not a screencap of the isolation helmet yet?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How is there not a screencap of the isolation helmet yet?

Ask and he shall receive courtesy of tumblr

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Her past is well hosed up.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I loved the Moriarty stuff from season 1! I don't mind if they keep bringing her back. The Mycroft MI6 stuff just wasn't interesting in any way and I've already forgotten most of the specifics of what happened.

I want more Moriarty. I hope they didn't blow their Moriarty load too soon. The one off episode with her from season two was good as well.

I think I just really like Moriarty in just about any Sherlock incarnation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For two seasons worth of content, I think they've done a good job of not overexposing her. Though they've discussed Moriarty from time to time, she's only in four episodes so far (and for less than a minute in one of them). Mycroft was in more than that and he sucks.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Neep posted:

I want more Moriarty. I hope they didn't blow their Moriarty load too soon. The one off episode with her from season two was good as well.

I think I just really like Moriarty in just about any Sherlock incarnation.

I got pretty sick of Moriarty in the BBC Sherlock, but I love her on Elementary if for no other reason than she inspired the line, "The woman is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma that I've had sex with."

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted
A strange bit of trivia from the Broncos-Patriots game on CBS right now: Phil Simms, a former NFL quarterback and current CBS color man, is going to be on Elementary in two weeks. Maybe there's going to be an on-field traumatic brain injury that leads to death and turns out to be... MURDER?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

hollylolly posted:

I dunno about Kitty dying, but there is a strong possibility she just can't hack it with Holmes. Her demeanor is pretty tragic and she's moved across the ocean with a genius crazy person. That isn't something normal people just do, Joan aside.

Thought it was a solid mystery, and now Joan has a nemesis all to herself. I do appreciate that they showed us Clyde in the first five minutes or so. The roosters probably got turned into stewtaken to the farm.

The roosters were taken to a petting zoo, as I recall.

As for Kitty, I recall a line from Rick and Morty that goes something like "You don't agree to have a theme park built inside you if your life's going great." I doubt you choose to become Sherlock Holmes' student/slave/sobriety crutch if your life's going great either.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Pick posted:

For two seasons worth of content, I think they've done a good job of not overexposing her. Though they've discussed Moriarty from time to time, she's only in four episodes so far (and for less than a minute in one of them).

Not to mention that her being Moriarty wasn't even revealed until the end of the second.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This episode really made me thing that Lucy Liu should have been Sherlock Holmes for the start, she has really grown into the role of a detective.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: S3 E2 The Five Orange Pips :siren:

When Holmes and Watson join forces on a double homicide, Sherlock's new apprentice, Kitty, threatens the investigation when she allows her jealousy of Sherlock and Joan's work rapport to override her better judgment.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

This episode really made me thing that Lucy Liu should have been Sherlock Holmes for the start, she has really grown into the role of a detective.

I kind of like the dynamic as it is. Sherlock isn't just a great detective, he's an extremely odd human being who is very British and walks a razor edge between genius and madness. I don't know that Lucy Lui could pull off the level of bombastic British craziness that it takes to portray Sherlock. I think they were smart to cast who they cast in the roles that they cast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh man they're doing a version of this story. I'm hyped.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

For the main case or Kitty's backstory?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just once I'd like an early-episode confession to be legit, and they spend the last 40 minutes of the show watching TV.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Just once I'd like an early-episode confession to be legit, and they spend the last 40 minutes of the show watching TV.

The obligatory onsen episode.

e: That happened in The Red Team, actually. The guy who killed the conspiracy nut was being truthful, it just informed Holmes of another largely unrelated series of murders.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I like Kitty, but I have a terrible feeling something tragic will befall her. :(

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Still Fluxing posted:

I like Kitty, but I have a terrible feeling something tragic will befall her. :(

This. Ideally, she'd stick around, learn more, join Sherlock and Watson to make team of three, and eventually meet Moriarty too... but that probably won't happen.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

There is absolutely zero chance of her not finding the guy who kidnapped her and him just so happening to turn up dead shortly thereafter. Be nice for it to not go that route, but it's eventually going to I'm sure.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

There is absolutely zero chance of her not finding the guy who kidnapped her and him just so happening to turn up dead shortly thereafter. Be nice for it to not go that route, but it's eventually going to I'm sure.

She might find him and get justice and then move on with her life back in the UK. Or she is the one who turns up dead, not him. :shrug:

Sherlock should get a cat. He practically is a cat already.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I love how this show makes me feel stupid for not seeing the solution instead of infuriated over it coming out of loving nowhere like a lesser show would.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
It reminded me of the anthrax episode where I was annoyed at myself for not figuring it out first.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I think it was one of the better short stories. For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Orange_Pips

I was scoffing a little at it, but the beads metabolizing into GHB was actually a real thing that happened :psyduck: : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindeez

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, this one was really well put-together, I was wondering the entire time how the GHB thing would fit in, and it was pretty slick.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: S3 E3 Just a Regular Irregular :siren:

Sherlock helps a math genius from his network of 'Irregulars' experts after he stumbles upon a body while participating in a math puzzle competition. Joan attempts to extend an olive branch after she learns about Kitty's past.

Clyde better make a triumphant return to my screen tonight. :colbert:

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Because of course, Sherlock WOULD find a body while preparing for a MATH COMPETITION. Maaaan, that's so ridiculous and totally in-character for him haha

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

bubblelubble posted:

Because of course, Sherlock WOULD find a body while preparing for a MATH COMPETITION. Maaaan, that's so ridiculous and totally in-character for him haha

I think the irregular finds it, not Sherlock.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When it airs, could someone mention what age is involved? I'm over on the west coast and need to wait 4 hours to see if my middle-school years got a shout-out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Solid episode aside from really obvious villain. Like last week, an excellent motive, but not as well foreshadowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

"Did you honestly expect that I wouldn't recognise an anagram of MY OWN NAME?!" made everything just about worth it.

• Locked thread