Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Guilty Gear Xrd is a Fighting Game being released for the Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 in December. In Asia, it releases on the 6th, in North America, it releases on the 16th. It does not matter what system you get it on, the key differences are:

PS3 version probably doesn’t use PSN+ to play, and only costs 50 dollars instead of the 60 dollars the PS4 version costs.

The PS3 version caps out at 720p, and the PS4 version caps out at 1080p. You can play CROSS REGION AND PLATFORM. So you can netplay ANYONE with ANY VERSION from what Aksys games (US Publisher) have told us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCNRXZ0iEPc

Key features it obviously includes:
  • An Anime as gently caress storyline involving time travel and wacky English words.
  • Playing people next to you.
  • Playing people not next to you with the power of THE INTERNET
  • Probably a good training mode.
  • A worddump tutorial, probably.
  • Some other poo poo that probably doesn’t matter but you should have fun with it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZynhbkFZg

Alright alright, so tell me about like, uh, the Gameplay Mr Fighting Game Idiot Wizard:

Guilty Gear holds the crowning achievement of being one of the most well balanced fighting games while simultaneously having extreme character diversity. If you pick one dude, he is going to play nothing like another character; unlike in say, SF4 or Tekken where the characters share a lot more traits in common. Guilty Gear achieves this by having a very powerful set of system mechanics that gives players a lot of freedom and enables them to deal with a lot of problems with universal tools.

It’s tough to just discuss every system mechanic in detail here, but the key differences between previous versions of GG are:

Roman Cancels have been altered significantly.
There are now three types of Roman Cancel.
Yellow, during a moves startup costs 25% meter and slows the game down a little.
Purple, after the Yellow RC window if a move does not hit. Cost 50% meter and slow down the game more than a Yellow Roman Cancel. (Some moves cannot be Purple RCed for balance purposes).
Red, which slows the game down significantly, you must connect with a move to use a Red Roman Cancel.

Danger Time is a new mechanic where if you clash, every move from that point on turns into a counter hit, leading to dumb combos. This happens randomly.

Hellfire is a state at low health where your supers do more damage. In addition, if your opponent is in hellfire state and in the losing round, the startup animation associated with your INSTANT KILL will freeze the game. This does NOT apply to the actual move’s animation, but instead the little taunt pose you do. This makes it so you can combo into Instant Kills sort of like how you could in Blazblue.

Dust attacks now function differently, and instead you can now follow up by holding UP or TOWARDS THE ENEMY to get either a superjump, or shooting them towards the wall.

Also FRCs and Force Breaks have been removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHPesijN_wo
(skip ahead)

Sol Badguy – Generic offensive protagonist guy. Focuses on close/mid range, more guess oriented damage, and being a little higher on the risk scale for high reward. He’s straightforward and simple, but has a lot of versatile gameplay options sort of like ken or evil ryu

Ky Kiske – Goodie twoshoes mid/longer range protagonist guy. He’s Ryu. He shoots a lot of fireballs and can make beams instead of fireballs with the right setup. He has a lot of safe attacks and lots of long range stuff, but has trouble forcing damage by having weak mixup. He’s lower risk, lower reward compared to Sol. Sort of like ryu.

Millia Rage – Lady with hair moves. She’s really rushdown oriented and is super fast. She has very safe, repeatable options when she gets a knockdown into repeating this process, which makes her sort of like cammy or akuma by putting you into repeated mixup situations that are safe for her and not you.

Potemkin - Grab man. Very slow but high damage (especially near corner) and good mid range. Play if you like guessing a lot, or like being extremely patient, or just like having a lot of hitpoints. Highest defense in the game, and does not have universal options like an air-dash or run. Similar to zangief.

Chipp Zanuff – Ninja. Fastest character in the game and has very, very, very safe moves. He also happens to have some of the best mobility options on top of being very fast, which is what separates him from Millia, on top of having a way better midrange game. Play if you like el fuerte or seth (he is way cooler than them too)

Venom – venom is in my opinion the most interest gameplay design in any fighting game. He can set up pool balls and then with any normal, knock them in a different speed or direction, or into other pool balls, and he can set up a bunch of variants on his pool balls. He also has very, very safe pressure because of this, and good mid range has no real equivalent in any other game, he is ten times more complex than any character in any sf game.

Zato - puppet character. His whole thing is he can control two characters at once. When he presses a buton, he does a move, but when he RELEASES a button, eddie, the shadow, does a move. This makes him really awkward to control in the heat of the moment, but if you learn a few basic things, that’s fine. He plays in two different phases, having eddie meter and not having eddie meter, which makes him very weak or very strong at any given time. You have to both safely use eddie to cover your attacks, but also safely cover eddie’s recovery the street fighter equviilent of this character is playing marvel vs Capcom with 4 different assist that cant be called for 10 seconds if they get hit and dotn have any invulnerability.

May – dumb charge character for idiot babies. She has really good normal attacks and a weird jump arc and can cover areas and attack pretty suddenly. she’s probably best described as the “smash” character because she just takes up space you want to be in and then murders you in like half a second when she hits you. Plays like the actually fun versions blanka that aren’t called street fighter 4

Axl low – he’s dhalsim with full screen combos. Also hes obnoxiously british has some counter moves and lots of long range attacks and some combos off pretty much anything. He’s ok up close too.. Dhalsim

Faust – mid range character with a lot of varied gameplay options because of his item toss. After he tosses an item, it changes how he should approach or position based on the matchup, what item he threw, where he is on the screen, etc. this affects his gameplay a lot, but otherwise plays like a really strong long-mid range charater. Plays like Sagat with rng.

Bedman – mid rangeish character with lots of weird tools. His most important gameplay aspect is after he does a move, he can repeat a projectile version of it. Since he has a move that’s two hits, a projectile, and a spinny combo move that sticks out for a while, this gives him a lot of cool unique ways of mixing people up and doing weird annoying things. He’s like if Anji was an elegantly designed character, but not really.

i-no – rushdown goddess. Can mix you up like four times in a row and has a lot of cool ways to approach with predictable but decent mobility options. Basically has to choose her battles and then when she gets in, do lots of mashy mixups. She’s basically Morrigan.

slayer - badass old vampire who says haiku. This is the power characterof the game, he does a lot of damage and has good mixups but isn’t as slow or guess inducing as Potemkin. He’s basically the dude you wanna play if you wanna murk someone in two separate guesses but want a lot of mobility and trickery. Can also make the startup of any move or jump briefly invulnerable. He’s like if CVS2 were an anime.

Ramlethal – setup character with sickening screen control but its tied to setups and not her, so she cant just use it willy nilly. She’s kinda like Dizzy.

Sin – Rushdown oriented dude with an emphasis on picking moment. He uses a special move meter and can freely cancel some special moves into other special moves, but he has to use another unique move that has no additional effect to regain this meter, halting momentum. A close analogue would be Order Sol.

Elphelt - shes chris redfield with big boobs and a wedding dress. Looks to be a long range precision character, but its harder to describe a cohesive playstyle to a more complex character that hasn’t been released.

Leo – Probably a DLC character because he’s on the cover and has a character model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIymu0MTHLk

Please discuss your favorite anime fanfics here.

Resources: https://www.dustloop.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfXi7S_5mGU thats a lot of anime

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
sol has a divesword now so he owns even more

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
where's jam

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My favorite anime fanfic is Xrd seeing release on Steam.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Buy this game if you want to see a guy with a paper bag on his head poke little girls in the butt.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Where that samurai woman with alpha counters. Thats always who i wanted to play whenever i got around to guilty gear.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Where that samurai woman with alpha counters. Thats always who i wanted to play whenever i got around to guilty gear.

Being japanese is a life threatening condition in guilty gear.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
In the garbage, where she belongs.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My favorites were always Baiken and Johnny.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you forgot that elphelt marries you for her ik so you can live out you're anime waifu dreams igl (in game life)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sin looks really sick, excited to try him and probably Slayer since I like hitting people for damage

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if you want to discuss the plot, that's fine, btw. this is a thread for all people, but please don't make fun of each other for being tryhards or animelords, ty u in avanced - lous bega beard

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

rivals posted:

where's zappa

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

if you want to discuss the plot,

ok pls explain it

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Real talk isn't GG's canon about Japan being racist and putting magic people into internment camps or something

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
Is this game a prequel or a sequel? Where does it fall in the timeline compared to GG2:Overture? I see that this game has Sin in it, which is great, because his character design and backstory are super interesting to me after the crazy events in Overture. And Ramletherl Valentine seems loving hilarious from what I've seen. The VA for her is absolutely perfect and I WILL be playing this game with Japanese voices on. There's no way her voice could be done any better.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brosnan posted:

Real talk isn't GG's canon about Japan being racist and putting magic people into internment camps or something

I thought it was about the rest of the world being racist and putting the japanese into camps and Anji/baiken escaping

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brosnan posted:

quote:

Because of their spiritual culture, the Japanese have a natural ability to channel energy like Ki. This gives them enormous potential for combat and because of this, but they can be easily identified by Justice. After the destruction of Japan, very few Japanese are left. As a result, the United Nations placed them under colonies protected by magical barriers. The IPF is tasked to keep them inside colonies and those who escape are arrested or are listed under a wanted list.

quote:

Note that Chipp Zanuff isn't Japanese even though he claims to be one.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

the story is that ky has sex with a 5 year old

robot

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
oh so it's more of a projection + revenge fantasy thing

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Brosnan posted:

oh so it's more of a projection + revenge fantasy thing

much like your posting

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not forget that Sol Badguy, the loner bounter hunter who turns into a dragon, is also the creator/composer's mary sue.

Guilty Gear rules.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

boxcarhobo posted:

ok pls explain it

If I have this right, Valentine/Justice was a Command Gear who could control other Gears, which were humanoid weapons. Justice and Sol had a kid, Dizzy, who couldn't be controlled and was super powerful. She went into hiding when Justice failed to capture her. Ky and Dizzy then had a kid, Sin, whose presence as a free Gear caused Valentine/Ramathel to activate and come from the Backyard, a dimensional space where the Command Gears were locked up after the war that they were built for, to capture or kill him. For some reason Valentine/Elphet was also released, maybe to go after Ramathel?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
facts about xrd:

- nobody can spell ramlethal

- nobody can beat potemkin

- coming to pc in 2020

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

[*]A worddump tutorial, probably.

The tutorial is pretty decent all things considered. It's a 50 part interactive tutorial with some explanation before and afterwards that covers all the game mechanics more or less.

quote:

Roman Cancels have been altered significantly.
There are now three types of Roman Cancel.
Yellow, during a moves startup costs 25% meter and slows the game down a little.
Purple, after the Yellow RC window if a move does not hit. Cost 50% meter and slow down the game more than a Yellow Roman Cancel. (Some moves cannot be Purple RCed for balance purposes).
Red, which slows the game down significantly, you must connect with a move to use a Red Roman Cancel.

I have no idea how technical you want to get with the OP, but for the sake of people who want to get into the nitty gritty of poo poo here's a few corrections:

The line between Yellow RC and Purple RC depends on the move. Some moves you can YRC well into or beyond the active frames, some moves have a much shorter period. There's a sort of general pattern to it, but lots of moves just do their own thing.

Purple RC I think is actually the worst in terms of slow time isn't it? It's definitely the worst in terms of startup.

And it's not just that certain moves can't be Purple RCed, some moves just can't be RCed at all unless they physically connect, meaning no Yellow RCs either. That's mainly limited to DPs of course.

Red RC happens any time you try to RC when the other player is in hit-stun or block-stun, no exceptions. Being knocked down does not count as being in hit-stun mind you, and neither does being in a burst.

quote:

Danger Time is a new mechanic where if you clash, every move from that point on turns into a counter hit, leading to dumb combos. This happens randomly.

Danger Time happens on clashes, but it happens entirely at random. The chance of it happening is very high however, almost always seems to happen the first time a clash happens in a match. Because it's a clash effect that starts Danger Time, when it triggers, you can cancel whatever you were doing into any move or a Faultless Defense.

The first hit of a combo that connects during Danger Time is a Mortal Counter. A Mortal Counter has two really important effects:
1) Causes a completely stupid amount of hitstun.
2) The move that connects can basically be canceled into anything. This includes canceling normals into a forward dash, canceling Special moves into normals, and so on. You can do a whole lot of really, really funny OS setups and other dumb combos with this.

quote:

Hellfire is a state at low health where your supers do more damage. In addition, if your opponent is in hellfire state and in the losing round, the startup animation associated with your INSTANT KILL will freeze the game. This does NOT apply to the actual move’s animation, but instead the little taunt pose you do. This makes it so you can combo into Instant Kills sort of like how you could in Blazblue.

Technical details on this, Hellfire state normally begins when your life bar drops below 20% when outside of a combo. However, Hellfire will also begin if you happen to drop below 10% life even if you are in a combo. Your supers do 20% more damage in Hellfire.

In order to get the Instant Kill Freeze effect, you also have to have at least 50% super meter. So most combos into IK involve having 100% meter when you start (combo into Red RC -> IK Freeze -> IK).

quote:

Dust attacks now function differently, and instead you can now follow up by holding UP or TOWARDS THE ENEMY to get either a superjump, or shooting them towards the wall.

You don't even need to hold Forwards actually, the forward version is just the default now. So just hold Up if you want to take them up!

Time to get super grognardy here, here's some fun facts for the old players out there:

No more Option Select FD Throws - You can't Option Select normal throws anymore, HS is just not Faultless Defense cancelable. HOWEVER, you can now YRC Option Select your normal throws! This may sound less impressive because it costs you 25% meter, but the added bonus is that you can now choose to throw forward or backward, and even if you just get a YRC, that's still really good for you in general.

No more FD Jump (1-Frame Jump) - Jump startup isn't cancelable by FDing anymore, so you can no longer remove 1 frame of your jump startup by doing this.

New Input Buffer - There's some new ways the game can buffer your inputs. The most obvious one is that Jump Canceling normals into air normals now has a massive buffer, making things like the first j.D of Sol's Dust Loop very easy to do.

(I have no idea if Normal-Jump-Canceling is still in the game or not but seeing that FD Jump isn't, I'm going to guess NJC isn't either)

Oh and here's a few other useful tips everyone should know about :

Red Roman Cancels scale damage like crazy - If you use a Red RC in a combo now, it forces 80% proration. This means that combos using Red RC are gonna be pretty weak in general! Some characters have options to use Supers to get similar combos you could get with RCs (Sol, Potemkin, Ky, and Slayer are obvious examples), so be aware of this! If you are in Hellfire state, that's even better!

YRC Option Selecting to beat Blue Bursts - Here's a really cool trick for everyone to learn. If your super meter is Green (meaning you have between 25% and 49% super meter), you get a free Option Select to beat people bursting out of your combos!

The trick here is, since you can only get a Red RC (50% meter cost) during combos, if you just mash RC during them with less than 50% meter, nothing will come out. UNLESS, the other player decides to Burst. As soon as the other player Bursts, they count as leaving hitstun, and thus you can get a YRC now.

You need to be aware of this, both if you are the person doing the combo or the person being hit by the combo. If you are getting hit and have a burst, look at the other player's super meter FIRST, if it's green, don't burst!

Okay well all this poo poo is probably too confusing for new players. For new players or people who are just straight up confused about the new Roman Cancel system, watch this really good tutorial, it should help you understand a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFBgZz8278

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
wheres bridget i like playing him

baiken too

at least i still have potemkin :smith:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Also there are forbidden weapons or forbidden beasts or something that maybe the Gears were supposed to beat and I think that it's been dropped from the plot like Anji Mito, but they were Sol's sword, Eddie, Anji's fans-- and I can't remember what else because it's Guilty Gear.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
who is the most anime character in xrd? i need to know

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Is the game actually good though? I mean what are the japanese saying? I haven't actually heard anyone talk about good like balance and systems or whatever are, only yooo new gg get in.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Question: Are all the characters in this game Freddie Mercury, or just the main red anime?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is the game actually good though? I mean what are the japanese saying? I haven't actually heard anyone talk about good like balance and systems or whatever are, only yooo new gg get in.

new balance is fine, pretty much every character looks competitive based on tier lists and performance except arguably pot who kind of middles in that same range kanji did in p4a, and potemkin has been rising in power because his corner damage is beyond obscene.

new mechanics are fine except danger time which is dumb

most competitive gg players enjoy it, the only issue is because the game was so close to the older GGs, a lot of new players fell off faster since the older players kicked their asses in arcades at a much quicker rate.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

No more Option Select FD Throws

No more FD Jump (1-Frame Jump)

This is gonna be the weirdest poo poo to get used to, alongside maybe not having a throw/throw invuln OS.

Since HOS is gone for the next five revisions, might as well give Sin a shot.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

potemkin has been rising in power because his corner damage is beyond obscene.

yes yessssss

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Question: Are all the characters in this game Freddie Mercury, or just the main red anime?

Sol is the only Freddie Mercury in this game. Everyone else is either an Anime reference, a Metal reference, or a pandering fetish character.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yes as the Lou Begas Mustache said, the game is actually real good. The problem is that it's SO much like old GG that new players can't even hope to touch old vets. The skill gap between bad players and good players is loving gigantic in this game. As a result, the game is actually not very popular in Japanese arcades.

interrodactyl posted:

who is the most anime character in xrd? i need to know

Elphelt is pretty much peak anime I think. She's a robot/clone of Sol's dead wife who has gigantic boobs and is a stereotypical gun-girl archetype who just wants to get married right the gently caress now.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
xrd gonna give it to ya

Didn't realize I wouldn't have to buy a ps4, thanks arksys.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Reminder you can playing #reload today, Xrd is practically just an update for it. Even many BnB's are the same.

It is good and fun and dead.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Party Bug posted:

xrd gonna give it to ya

Didn't realize I wouldn't have to buy a ps4, thanks arksys.

Just FYI there's no reason to buy the PS4 version unless you really want or need 1080p for some reason. Everything else should be identical as far as we know. Tournaments are gonna run on PS3 either way, because nobody has PS4s or PS4 sticks laying around in large quantities yet.

Oh and just as word about balance poo poo in this game ... basically the balance is PRETTY GOOD overall. There's a handful of characters who have been floating around the bottom tiers since the game launched, but even these characters can be good if you really put your time and effort into learning them. Please see FAB or Consome play Potemkin and get really far in Arc Revo 2014, despite Potemkin being pretty much the worst character in the game still.

The top tiers of this game are actually still constantly in debate and shift around every so often, that's because the high end characters are all really loving good and well balanced.

So instead of posting a tier list or any of that poo poo, I'll make this really simple:

All of these characters are really loving good:
Faust, Sol, Zato, Ramlethal, Chipp, I-No, Millia

These are characters you're gonna expect to work hard with:
Potemkin, Axl, Venom, Slayer

Anyone not listed is somewhere in the happy middle of the road.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just FYI there's no reason to buy the PS4 version unless you really want or need 1080p for some reason. Everything else should be identical as far as we know. Tournaments are gonna run on PS3 either way, because nobody has PS4s or PS4 sticks laying around in large quantities yet.

a good reason to buy it on ps4 is if you have an xbox 360 and not a ps3, which is what im doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Reminder you can playing #reload today, Xrd is practically just an update for it. Even many BnB's are the same.

It is good and fun and dead.

or you could be playing +r, the previous "holy poo poo a new gg" that nobody played cuz xrd got announced

• Locked thread