Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SUSHI
TERIYAKI
BANZAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amadeous
Nov 24, 2011

rivals posted:

where's jam

What this guy said. I know they mentioned new announcements in November, hopefully more characters will be announced then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Buy this game if you want to see a guy with a paper bag on his head poke little girls in the butt.

I do

sol badguy my main, gun flame all day with added good dragon install, aw yisss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spm5-SXo4Do

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Great Joe posted:

SUSHI
TERIYAKI
BANZAI

The second one is 'Sukiyaki' actually.

I had to check if Chipp even had the 'Banzai' move anymore in Xrd because nobody uses it. He got a new followup to his Rekkas that is absurdly stupidly good now so everyone just uses that.

Chipp is basically Strider in this game except he can also just make himself completely invisible so you can't even pretend to guess how to block him.

Amadeous
Nov 24, 2011
Gwyrgyn, I know you mentioned "1F jump" isn't in Xrd any more, but I think some new testing recently was done in AC/AC+R and it was found it was never in the older games to start with! I can try to find the original posts on dustloop, but it was found that the idea of "shaving off 1 frame of your jump startup" was a fallacy. What was actually happening was, because FDing forces your character to go into their blocking animations, and most characters have a much smaller hitbox when blocking (due to the sprite crunching up as the animation), you would be able to clear most moves that would normally catch your character's legs on a normal jump. But the jump startup was the same as your normal jump, and you would be considered airborne on the same frame. "1F Jump" was a misnomer; and I think most people have switched to "FD Jump".

Now, I don't have a PS4 so I can't test on the demo, but I assume you can still jump up and FD at the same time, shrinking your hurtbox. I believe it was just a glitch in the XX series that it forced your character to jump straight up and down, as upbacking in Blazblue allows you to move backwards iirc. May just be fixed in Xrd.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you find a link to that please send it my way. I remember someone posting some tests and vids a long while back proving that it didn't make your jump startup only take 1 Frame total, but I don't recall seeing anything showing it didn't even shave off a frame.

Wouldn't be surprised if you were right though! But yes, in Xrd the glitch doesn't happen at all anymore, you always get the dust cloud and you can always jump back + FD.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

a Metal reference, or a pandering fetish character.
what's the diff.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sol is the only Freddie Mercury in this game. Everyone else is either an Anime reference, a Metal reference, or a pandering fetish character.

Elphelt is pretty much peak anime I think. She's a robot/clone of Sol's dead wife who has gigantic boobs and is a stereotypical gun-girl archetype who just wants to get married right the gently caress now.

His wife was literally Guns And Roses, holy poo poo this game rules.

Is there a quick handy website with all the music references?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

His wife was literally Guns And Roses, holy poo poo this game rules.

Slayer is a reference to slayer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

No but I can tell you that Baiken is the only one without any.

I'll lay out the ones for the cast of this game, copy pasted from about twenty different articles on the guilty gear wiki. No bedman or either of the valentines.

AXL LOW

quote:

Axl owes his name to Guns'n'Roses leader, Axl Rose.

CHIPP ZANUFF

quote:

Named after bass-man Chip Z'nuff from the band Enuff Z'nuff.

DR. FAUST

quote:

Faust possibly got his name from the drummer of the Norwegian metal band, Emperor, or the German krautrock band Faust. It could, however, be a shared reference to Goethe's Faust.
One of Faust's moves, "Going My Way?" is an allusion to the Jimi Hendrix song (covered by Lenny Kravitz), "Are you Gonna go My Way?"

I-NO

quote:

I-No's name is a reference to Brian Eno, a musician/songwriter famous for working with Glam Rock stars like David Bowie.

I-No's design is influenced by Japanese musician Shiina Ringo, as I-No sports a hairstyle Shiina wore during her early days, a mole in the exact same facial location, the same guitar, and the same height and birthday.

One of her victory animations has her playing part of a solo from Metallica's "One"

KY KISKE

quote:

Ky owes his name to the two musicians of Germany's Power Metal scene - Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen, former Helloween members.

Ky's theme name - Holy Orders (Be Just or Be Dead) - originates from Iron Maiden's song "Be Quick or Be Dead".

Ky's overdrive is named Ride the Lightning, and one of Metallica's albums has the same name.

Ky's Instant Kill is named Rising Force— a reference to the Swedish rocker Yngwie J. Malmsteen's former band of the same name.

MAY

quote:

The only thing that seems to be a reference to a musical group is May's name - taken from Brian May, one member of the legendary group Queen.

MILLIA RAGE

quote:

Millia got her name from Meliah Rage, which was an USA thrash-metal band from the middle of the 80s. This band was named after indians from Meliah tribe, who used opium before battles to fall in battle rage.

There is also a German band named Rage, which found some success in Japan.

Millia's Instant Kill is named Iron Maiden, an English metal band.

Winger, one of Millia's Overdrives, is an USA hard-rock band from the beginning of the 80s.

Her other Overdrive, Emerald Rain, is a Canadian melodic-rock band.

POTEMKIN

quote:

His attack "Hammer Fall" references Swedish power metal band HammerFall.

SIN KISKE

quote:

Sin gets his name from the Nine Inch Nails song "Sin" from the album "Pretty Hate Machine".

SLAYER

quote:

Slayer is obviously named after the Thrash Metal band of the same name.

Many of Slayer's attacks are named after Queen Songs, including "All Dead," "It's Late," "Under Pressure," "Dead on Time," and "Spread Your Wings."

Slayer's wife, Sharon, is more than likely a reference to Sharon Osbourne, wife of rock star Ozzy Osbourne.

In Xrd, Slayer's new Dandy Step follow-up, Helter Skelter, is a reference to The Beatles song of the same name.

SOL BADGUY

quote:

Ishiwatari's favorite band is Queen, and he thus named Sol Badguy, whose "real" name is Frederick (or Freddie for short), after Freddie Mercury, whose nickname was 'Mr. Bad Guy'.

Sol's theme song, "Keep Yourself Alive", shares the same name as the first track from Queen's debut album. Several chords are lifted from another Queen song, "Stone Cold Crazy".

Sol's Instant Kill, "Napalm Death", shares its name with a Grindcore/Death metal band.

As noted above, Sol's headband bears the words 'Rock You', a reference to the Queen song "We Will Rock You".

VENOM

quote:

Venom gets his name from English black metal band Venom.

ZATO-1

quote:

His ability "Fear of the Dark" references the Iron Maiden song of the same name.

Zato-1 looks similar to the man on the cover of the Ozzy Osbourne album, The Ultimate Sin.

ergo the strongest character is millia

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Endorph posted:

The Metal

Thank you for this, I'd've missed half of these.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Guilty Gear is the sickest fighting game besides MVC2

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
heres a sick metal reference and by sick metal reference i mean daisuke ishiwatari literally just stole a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5vNxUf27YM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L80-6klL0Zw

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The way Sol holds his sword is a reference to Freddie Mercury's signature bottomless mic, the idea of using his mic stand as a sword at all came from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLxDKQ_5FTQ

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sol's original IK which returns in Xrd is "All Guns Blazing" which is a reference to the Judas Priest song of the same name.

Guilty Gear is filled of the metal. Even Zappa is named after Frank Zappa.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I-no's "stroke the big tree" move is a reference to handjobs.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Do they called him Sin because Ky banged a 3-year old.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also isn't Sin like 10 years old, kid is ripped

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Also isn't Sin like 10 years old, kid is ripped
I think he's like 18-20. Xrd takes place after 2.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I can't justify buying a PS4 'just' for Bloodborne, but it plus this game is mighty tempting. :shepspends:

What I'm saying is please release your games on steam Japanese devs.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Hope this hits the PC.

Ekster posted:

I can't justify buying a PS4 'just' for Bloodborne, but it plus this game is mighty tempting.

You make a point there, but still I need more to sweeten the deal especially as there is an online play fee :mrwhite:

Amadeous
Nov 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

I think he's like 18-20. Xrd takes place after 2.

Xrd takes place like, a year after 2. Sin's like, 6 years old-ish.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Reminder you can playing #reload today, Xrd is practically just an update for it. Even many BnB's are the same.

It is good and fun and dead.

I'll come suck at ggxx with you if you're a euro player.

..as soon as I find a version without 5000 russian trojans.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

GGX1 takes place in 2181, Xrd takes place in 2187, so yeah, Sin is as at most 6 years old. I think he's actually somewhere around 3-4 years old, can't find where I got that from originally though.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Do they called him Sin because Ky banged a 3-year old.

Yes.

Sin is also Sol's grandson which is pretty funny. I guess that makes Ramlethal and Elphelt great-aunts. Well, if you consider clones to be family anyway.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ky gave Sin to Sol when he was like 1 year old because he was under a lot of king stress and Sol proceeded to raise his grandson like a dog because he doesn't give a poo poo.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ky sounds like a really terrible person, and how did Sol get Justice pregnant????

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She wasn't always a robot.

Pomp posted:

Ky sounds like a really terrible person

He's actually the best.

Amadeous
Nov 24, 2011

Pomp posted:

Ky sounds like a really terrible person, and how did Sol get Justice pregnant????

I'll hit the second point first: Gear Magic.

As for the first one; that's actually why a lot of people like him so much! You see, Ky was indoctrinated from a young age into the Sacred Order, fighting gears, being holy, and all that stuff. In the first game he notably only sees things in black and white, and believes Sol is "evil" due to his theft of the Fireseal (the sword Sol uses). After a chat with the late Justice, Ky begins to realize there's a lot more gray in the world.

Fast forward to just before GG2, and Ky's fallen in love with Dizzy, a Gear. By and large, the populace believes Gears to still be evil, violent, killing machines, and he worries that Dizzy may be attacked if this is found out, so he hides her away. Unfortunately, she's pregnant, and Ky's in some MASSIVE guilt about all of this. Not only has he done something against his religion (Dizzy and Ky aren't actually married, remember this), but the populace and even his own self would believe he's a traitor to humanity. In addition to all of this, corrupt politicians are using Dizzy's existence and Ky's son as blackmail, keeping Ky in line in order to control him better, making him feel even worse about betraying the people he was elected to lead (In Guilty Gear land, Kings are elected, apparently). All of this leads him to naming his son "Sin" as that's what he believes he's committed, sins against humanity, God, the people he leads, his wife, everything. He decides the safest place for his son to be is with Sol, since Sol will keep him safe and be able to control his Gear power, and it keeps him away from the Senato.

Course, this all leads to Sin hating Ky, seeing him as a weak-willed king who let his people and his family down. They repair their relationship some in Guilty Gear 2, and it seems like in Xrd they're still growing closer.

I KNOW ENTIRELY TOO MUCH ABOUT ANIME FIGHTING GAMES.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only anime fighting game story you should know is Guilty Gear, so it's all cool.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Gears lay eggs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I actually don't think they've ever addressed who Dizzy's father is canonically. It's entirely possible it's not actually Sol, but that seems to be the most common theory and I think they hinted at it in one of those dumb drama CDs or whatever.

And yeah the origins of Dizzy's birth are not made clear at all, but Justice is actually not a robot, just a person turned into a Gear wearing a robot suit. Even aside from that, Gears are literally made of magic so anything is possible.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's important to remember that Sol, Ky, that man and the gears, that's all just a side story. Guilty Gear is actually about the assassin's guild and Zato and Millia's relationship drama.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chipp Zanuff is a former crack-addicted weeaboo American ninja who is currently a candidate for the President of the United States of America that throws his VOTE FOR ME ballot at you whenever he wins. His greatest nightmare is that he loses by one vote.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All I knew about Guilty Gear lore was the characters, and this plot sounds like fan fiction writing in all of the best ways.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guilty Gear story is more like Axe Cop but with more anime and metal.

Amadeous
Nov 24, 2011
Potemkin's story is basically "Genetically modified slave helps save the world, returns to his home flying continent, helps overthrow the oppressive dictatorship, is appointed new president's official bodyguard, gets a sweet helmet and a nice suit.

Also, he likes to paint."

Potemkin is the greatest.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
In order to butter up his presidential resume, Chipp founded and is now king of the kingdom of Chipp, located in the Mad Max wasteland that is most of Europe.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
The only reason I'm playing Elphelt is that she has Cable's gunshot fierce. Yep, the only reason.

http://a.pomf.se/fhipbs.webm

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
This is Sol, Justice and That Man when they were still just scientists.

There's also a translation of all the intro dialogue from Accent Core for anyone who cares about the silly GG lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2gbQepG6s

I think Xrd is all subbed when it gets released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Xrd has no special intros like the previous games though so it doesn't matter as much there.

• Locked thread