Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

JcDent posted:

Also, that last loving cutscene. That loving general.

Mooom! But I want BOOTS ON THE GROUND NOW! Dad said I could send in the rangers! Mooooom!

Like a petulant child, that shitheel. loving writing in this game.

That's why I love that general: he was clearly written to be the sum of every single "bad commander" that ever existed.
"Don't wait to PID the targets, just blow them sky-high" *kills his own allies*
"The guys that know better told me it's better to wait before sending in the Army?!" *sends in Rangers immediately just to show 'em*
"I don't care if you are in Bagram and have a better grasp on the local situation: I'm late for my cup of coffee, so just follow my orders!"

You cannot hate someone written as hilariously as he is. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

JcDent posted:

Also, that last loving cutscene. That loving general.

Mooom! But I want BOOTS ON THE GROUND NOW! Dad said I could send in the rangers! Mooooom!

Like a petulant child, that shitheel. loving writing in this game.

I take it this is where DICE got the inspiration for those barely-competent interrogator guys in Battlefield 3.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

radintorov posted:

That's why I love that general: he was clearly written to be the sum of every single "bad commander" that ever existed.
"Don't wait to PID the targets, just blow them sky-high" *kills his own allies*
"The guys that know better told me it's better to wait before sending in the Army?!" *sends in Rangers immediately just to show 'em*
"I don't care if you are in Bagram and have a better grasp on the local situation: I'm late for my cup of coffee, so just follow my orders!"

You cannot hate someone written as hilariously as he is. :allears:

Too bad the last time you see him you end up agreeing with his decision because the game is terrible at making you care about its characters.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Uhh, didn't we record this episode already? Or was it unusable due to Arnold tripping balls?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Scarf posted:

Uhh, didn't we record this episode already? Or was it unusable due to Arnold tripping balls?

Yes.

Never again will I take Ahnuld's word for it that he was totally able to do a second recording while he is tripping balls.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Too bad the last time you see him you end up agreeing with his decision because the game is terrible at making you care about its characters.
That too, yes.
Turns out that even he can make a sound decision once every decade. :v:
But we'll see that when we get there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game seems pretty committed to putting civilian Afghans in mortal danger like once per level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glazius posted:

This game seems pretty committed to putting civilian Afghans in mortal danger like once per level.

"Just strangle him until he stops moving. He'll be fine."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

"Just strangle him until he stops moving. He'll be fine."

The US Army heavily recruits from the WWF.

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Lazyfire posted:

The US Army heavily recruits from the WWF.

He was actually a Marine.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This video we take the role of another playable character. For as much as we talk about this game being like Call of Duty, the Ranger missions are really what remind me of that franchise. While the SEALS and Delta Force guys (Rabbit and Deuce) are more likely to go in silently and have to sneak around a bit the Rangers tend to charge headlong into enemy positions and emplacements like it's a job. For some reason the game still didn't see fit to give you a sufficiently large force to make it seem like you were part of a major assault and instead stick you with the same 4 person crew size all other missions seem to cap out at.

This game, man, this game.

GIFs

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 30, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Rangers tend to charge headlong into enemy positions and emplacements like it's a job. For some reason the game still didn't see fit to give you a sufficiently large force to make it seem like you were part of a major assault and instead stick you with the same 4 person crew size all other missions seem to cap out at.

This game, man, this game.
Indeed, it's a pity they didn't use a larger force: the devs could've made the extras expendable like CoD does, but they didn't which detracts from the whole idea of Rangers being the spearhead of an assaulting force.
And the scene with the emplaced MG was a pain the first time I played it because the scripting broke: no matter how much I was shooting at it, I couldn't suppress it.

Finally, the last sequence is pretty cool the first time in since the idea of having to hold off against a larger force while hiding behind cover that is getting reduced over time is interesting, but the infinite ammo does ruin it: the way I would've done it is to check how much ammo the player has when the cutscene happens and if it's below a certain threshold it would be refilled up to it, ammo pickups from teammates are disabled and the pistol is given finite ammo. But again, the devs didn't. :v:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Hey look! The the BF4 title scroll!

This game is so... Firmly mediocre. It's not BAD, it's just... ehhhhhhhh. It's disappointing because with a few different decisions this could have been a really solid shooter. The gunplay is pretty great, the sound design is fantastic, the feel is there.

It's like having a pizza with a fantastic crust and topping it with month old toppings.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is the level that shows the people who made this game have no understanding of pacing at all. The first mission of a brand new batch of characters you don't know from anybody is not where you put the "emotional and heroic last stand" point of your game, and you especially don't make that last stand take 6 minutes to finish.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
God bless, you guys are nailing it in this episode! I just love the Ranger qualification segment.

Also, fun things from Wikipedia:
The AC-130 in the last episode that nailed the convoy? Killed a special forces operator commanding it.

The guys in today's mission? Supposed to be Mountain Troops and guys from 101st Airborne. A Polish guy who didn't even have US citizenship yet (yet somehow reached rank of Staff Sergeant... You Americans are weird) won a Bronze star for his actions.

A game so authentic, can't even get US units rights.

E: And apparently AC-130s don't fly in daylight since once crashed during the first Desert Storm.

E:E: The sequel to 300 wasn't better than this :(

JcDent fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 27, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

JcDent posted:

E: And apparently AC-130s don't fly in daylight since once crashed during the first Desert Storm.
As the pilot in the video with it in it said "once it's daylight we turn into a bullseye with wings": while an AC130 has some pretty considerable firepower, it is still a modified transport plane that has to fly pretty low for the weapon systems to be accurate, which does put it into range of man-portable SAM and AAA batteries.
Of course at the altitude it was flying in the video I could've probably hit it with a slingshot, but that's besides the point. :v:

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

It's unfortunate, I actually remember that scene with the rangers being the highlight of the campaign for me, because it got the atmosphere right. I also had neglected to ever get close enough to my squadmates to see the "ask for ammo" prompt, so I was actually running really low by the time the scene was over.

Most of the poo poo in this game is so aggressively bland and weak, though. Holding out in that lovely hut would have been better served as a climactic setpiece where a few friendlies you actually care about die.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The player never actually drops the magazine from his pistol. He just presses the mag release, catches it off-screen and puts in back into the gun. A.K.A. The Goldeneye effect

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All rangers go through an intensive 5 week course in loading a shotgun like that. The written part of the test is widely regarded as the most difficult in the army, and the inbox for answers is only open for 0.2 seconds.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The player never actually drops the magazine from his pistol. He just presses the mag release, catches it off-screen and puts in back into the gun. A.K.A. The Goldeneye effect

The mag has the word "infinity" in Arabic etched into the floor plate, so it automatically refills itself whenever it's not loaded into a weapon.

It's the same for all your door-openers allies, they have a SAW belt box in their pack with the same word engraved into it somewhere from which they can pull full belts of ammo in the correct caliber for any belt-feeding weapon currently within fifty meters of them. That's why LMGs are the only weapon type you can get ammo for from them no matter what you're using while others require them to be using the same kind of gun you are (aka you can get ammo for pretty much everything except my Mk 14 :argh:).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You guys know jack poo poo. You see, when he takes out the pistol mag, it's to air it out to refill it with "boolits". Air in Aghanistan is extremely thick with these... things and pistol mags are their natural nesting grounds. They migrate partially through osmosis, that's why they fill up a mag.

Now a "round" is a totally different beast, existing in a parallel phase of existence. You bet you rear end some scientists killed themselves when they discovered what is now called "4.73×33mm caseless"...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sadly, this last episode wasn't great for .GIFs, but have a combination of two dismemberments that happened back to back.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Lazyfire posted:

Goddamn Danger Close for making this level. I mean, it's like 45 minutes of driving around Afghanistan in a 21 minute episode. Nothing loving happens aside from your new character and his partner pretending they never left the US and trespassing on old man Bin Laden's property looking for sweet jumps. gently caress everything about this level.

So, is this where the :bustem: emote comes from?

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
I thought up a way that last stand could've been made more epic less time than it took to watch the sequence:

When asking for ammo during the last stand, instead of being given 1200 rounds in belts, you're given a couple of 30 round M16 magazines instead and have to use those.
(The M249 can be loaded with STANAG magazines instead of belts, but it apparently messes the magazines up some, so you'd only want to use it during emergencies.)
Buut, that would require :effort:

E: The big black thing coming out of the ETAC's backpack is a UHF antenna.

VKing fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 2, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wait, I was wrong earlier when I said that the 4-wheeler mission was the most boring in the game. This is it. The COD4 AC-130 mission hosed so much up for future modern military shooters by setting such a high bar that everything else will just seem boring in comparison. Of course, you were able to kill guys in any means you saw fit in the AC-130 mission so it was pretty painless if you knew what you were doing. In this mission even if you know exactly what is happening you still have to wait for the game to give you cues which is really, really annoying and dumb and makes this mission run longer than the five minute distraction it should have been.

At least it's short.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Holy poo poo that was an atrocious level, like I couldn't even finish it. Compare to Wolfenstein the New Order where I was disappointed that the video ended after "only" a half hour.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really don't see the need for mounted gun sections that last more than about 3-5 minutes in any game. They're so rarely actually interesting.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Somehow even worse than the F/A-18 mission from BF3.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Casualty posted:

Whoa, whoa, let's not say things we can't take back.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Casualty posted:

Fun fact: Player character in this level has the last name Hawkins, just like the F-18 player character and like the helicopter pilot that gets shot down in the first mission in BF4.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

1stGear posted:

Whoa, whoa, let's not say things we can't take back.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to that mission only because I used to fix Super Hornets, I have no emotional ties to some dumb helicopter rail shooter that fails for the exact same reasons though :v:

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
I feel like the only way I would really like this game is if I'd gotten in back during that stage of life where I only had enough money for like, one game a year (plus getting one on Christmas), so I would force myself to enjoy a game because I didn't want to regret buying a piece of garbage that I'd have to play for like, 6 months. But this game did not come out at that stage of my life. And it's gross.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, at least you guys made it funny.

BF3 plane scene was still better

After I finished Modern Warfare, I kept playing the AC-130 and the plane infitration missions over and over. Now that was a good game.
Pity Medal of Honor decided to be a bullet point copy.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So sniping in this game is totally a thing. I really don't have a lot to say about this episode. If I get to the point where I throw out middle school insults as an attempt to find something, anything to talk about you know things are in dire straits. Maybe because 3 Toes wasn't here we had an off night, I don't know, just the overwhelming badness of this game is getting to me I think and Ahnuld and I couldn't find anything to talk about besides everything the game does wrong.

The weird thing is that this game isn't even that bad, it just is aggressively not good. Each good idea was quickly tethered to a rock before it could go anywhere during development. You see that the developers had a vision and either didn't have enough money or enough time to make it happen; you see potential but never a payoff.

Only two more videos of this, that's the light at the end of the tunnel here.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
M60s are still being used, especially by Navy SEALs like our protagonists. :eng101:
And Ahnuld comment on the game having issues by trying to be both CoD and going for a more "realistic" tone is pretty spot on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not sure if you noticed, but the video on mobile was paused for me when it began. The trees were the only part of the far mountainside to be loaded; the mountain itself was nonexistent and you just saw the skybox. The game kept going for a second or two with the textures loading.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

How are you hearing the limbs exploding from so far away :psyduck:

e: okay good you mention it later, because that makes no sense at all.

biosterous fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 11, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The laser rangefinder is also operating as a laser microphone.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Did I just see an AK float up into the sky at about 6 minutes? I'd imagine it was because of the grenade you threw a little earlier, but the flying gun looked to be moving way too slowly for it to be from an explosion.

EDIT: I'd imagine the sound you hear when you shoot people with the M107 is the generic hit-marker sound that really has no business showing up outside of multiplayer.
Also, that third time you set it up, I noticed the bipod was already deployed for half a second before it suddenly flipped back closed and Deuce had to deploy it again.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I think what makes the game bad is that it had so much potential.

It nails bread and butter stuff like the gunplay and the sound, but is just so ERRRRRRRGH when it comes to plot or having characters that we should give a drat about.

We talked about this in the episode with the "final stand." That could have been AMAZING had they 1) developed the characters at all and 2) made it a real final stand, not whack-a-mole.

The halfway "realism" just makes it terribad, either commit to full on YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE EVIL GENERAL ala CoD, or make it a real, plot driven story that's at least interesting (see: Spec Ops: The Line).

That the game gets so things right that a lot of shooters don't I think makes it a much more frustrating experience.

• Locked thread