Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mradyfist

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
Libraries can work really well, especially when you're stable enough to keep quiet and not shoot up in the bathroom. Malls get a little tricky; parking is almost always a challenge at malls, especially ones that offer free parking, and when your car has all of your personal belongings you really can't afford to leave it somewhere where there's a possibility of getting towed.

I spent a lot of time at public parks since it's easy to keep an eye on your car most of the time and there are usually public bathrooms (running water is so awesome), but in the winter that's not a good option any more.

Good luck with the room shares on Craigslist, I know it can be a little disheartening since a lot of people either want a very specific type of roommate or they're outright placing creepy personal ads. In Portland it was horrible, people would put in all these requirements that they wanted out of you and if you didn't meet them perfectly (or you just didn't seem cool enough in person) they'd just flake on you. I had one person meet with me, say that I seemed like a perfect fit for the room they were renting, and then not respond to emails or phone calls for a month afterwards. Then she emails me again and asks if I'm still looking and she'd love to have me rent the room; it's as if she thought I just, you know, magically stopped needing a place to live while she waffled on whether or not to rent the room to me.

Edit: Also, don't totally ignore the temporary/sublet section of Craigslist, sometimes you can find people who just need someone to watch their apartment or whatever for a month and are a lot more willing to offer it up for less money and no down payment because they're leaving next week. It's not a perfect solution but it can buy you some time to save up beyond your Nov. 10th deadline.

Mradyfist fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insufficient guns

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
As someone who has rented rooms in random flatshares over the past 2.5 years, my best advice is this: avoid Craigslist like the plague. Maybe the shared housing for adults scene is different in the US than it is in UK, but I've found the most reliable way to find a place is through websites designed specifically for this purpose. After a quick search, I found these 2 which look pretty good:

http://www.easyroommate.com/ (this one is owned by the same company who runs the most legit one in the UK)

https://www.roomster.com/

I did a quick search on your area on both those sites, and it seems to bring up plenty of decent looking ads.

Some key points to remember though:

F5 like a motherfucker all day every day. Any liveable place will get snatched up in a matter of days. Speaking of which, some sites will charge you a fee for "early access." An ad gets posted, and only paid members will be able to respond to it, until the ad is like 10 days old. This sucks, but it's very very worth it. It's pretty much mandatory where I am. If you only shell for a week's worth, and search obsessively in that time, it's pretty cost-effective.

Mradyfist posted:

In Portland it was horrible, people would put in all these requirements that they wanted out of you and if you didn't meet them perfectly (or you just didn't seem cool enough in person) they'd just flake on you. I had one person meet with me, say that I seemed like a perfect fit for the room they were renting, and then not respond to emails or phone calls for a month afterwards. Then she emails me again and asks if I'm still looking and she'd love to have me rent the room; it's as if she thought I just, you know, magically stopped needing a place to live while she waffled on whether or not to rent the room to me.

Yes, a thousand times this. Looking for flatshares has given me a new appreciation for what some people must go through on Okcupid. You spam every ad you can find with a thoughtful message. You only hear back from 10% of the people you message. You only make viewings with half of those. You meet up, everything goes great. They tell you they'll be in touch. And nothing. Your texts go unanswered and you're back to square one.

OP just remember this: A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. If somebody gives you a concrete offer, even if it's not perfect, even if you have 5 more viewings lined up next week, just take it. Take it and hang on to it and never let go.

Mradyfist

insufficient guns posted:

Yes, a thousand times this. Looking for flatshares has given me a new appreciation for what some people must go through on Okcupid. You spam every ad you can find with a thoughtful message. You only hear back from 10% of the people you message. You only make viewings with half of those. You meet up, everything goes great. They tell you they'll be in touch. And nothing. Your texts go unanswered and you're back to square one.

OP just remember this: A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. If somebody gives you a concrete offer, even if it's not perfect, even if you have 5 more viewings lined up next week, just take it. Take it and hang on to it and never let go.

In a way, looking for a room online is almost worse than online dating. It's a bigger commitment to jump into with someone, so people are even more wary of strangers they've met online. Plus there's that same stigma attached - anybody who's replying to an online posting for a room must have something horribly wrong with them that makes it hard for them to get along with people in the real world. I had an easier excuse than most and it got me a lot more responses and visits, but ultimately if you're not exactly what someone wants in a roommate you're still out of luck.

Do you mind if I ask about the actual circumstances behind this homeless stint? We might be able to help you spin it in a way that makes it more appealing for someone who has a room for rent.

posh spaz
I wish I was one of those jerks who got rich off bitcoin so I could buy a house for OP to live in.

John Yossarian
This may sound like bad advice, but have you thought about tracking down your dad? I know he abandoned you when you were 6, but he might be willing to give you some money to help get you back on your feet. That is, if you're able to find him.

Anyway, stay safe, OP.

Koalas March

If you near Southgate google Team Mental Health, I used to volunteer there. They can get you a social worker who will work on your housing, they have AA and other group therapy as well as therapists and psychiatrists. They take even the most dinky insurance and if you need a new plan or to apply for food stamps or anything they'll help you with that too. If you're too busy working to fill out forms for medicaid/housing programsdon't worry the social workers will literally do everything for you.

Edit: oh and if you can't get transportation for what ever reason (like you decide to sell your car) they'll take you to and from your appointments for free.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 31, 2014

on spec

John Yossarian posted:

This may sound like bad advice, but have you thought about tracking down your dad? I know he abandoned you when you were 6, but he might be willing to give you some money to help get you back on your feet. That is, if you're able to find him.

Anyway, stay safe, OP.

Tracking down an old relative is conceptually akin to an idiom my grandma was fond of, which is well, she would say it's that you're "borrowing trouble". You have to not do it.

Smashurbanipal
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Hey OP, just out of curiosity, what kind of car are you driving that your insurance is $100 a mos? Even with an at fault accident 3 years ago my insurance is only $328 a YEAR.

Scenty

Smashurbanipal posted:

Hey OP, just out of curiosity, what kind of car are you driving that your insurance is $100 a mos? Even with an at fault accident 3 years ago my insurance is only $328 a YEAR.

This really depends more on where you live. In NJ my insurance was $555 every other month. After moving to Portland it's about that much every 6 months.

Mradyfist

Plus shopping for car insurance is more complicated when you don't have a home address, insurance companies generally want to know where you live.

insufficient guns

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

Mradyfist posted:

In a way, looking for a room online is almost worse than online dating. It's a bigger commitment to jump into with someone, so people are even more wary of strangers they've met online. Plus there's that same stigma attached - anybody who's replying to an online posting for a room must have something horribly wrong with them that makes it hard for them to get along with people in the real world. I had an easier excuse than most and it got me a lot more responses and visits, but ultimately if you're not exactly what someone wants in a roommate you're still out of luck.

Do you mind if I ask about the actual circumstances behind this homeless stint? We might be able to help you spin it in a way that makes it more appealing for someone who has a room for rent.

Not really homeless. I moved to the UK from another country, so no family to live with. You can't afford to rent a flat by yourself here unless you: have a job that pays well above minimum wage OR choose to live out in the sticks (ideally both). I've also chosen to change cities and jobs a lot. There's definitely less of a social stigma here, but it's still difficult. I'm pretty desirable as a flatmate and I always end up with a place. It's the process of getting there is so drat painful sometimes.

OP keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll find a good place to crash. You might even meet some cool people and make some new friends!

Mradyfist

insufficient guns posted:

Not really homeless. I moved to the UK from another country, so no family to live with. You can't afford to rent a flat by yourself here unless you: have a job that pays well above minimum wage OR choose to live out in the sticks (ideally both). I've also chosen to change cities and jobs a lot. There's definitely less of a social stigma here, but it's still difficult. I'm pretty desirable as a flatmate and I always end up with a place. It's the process of getting there is so drat painful sometimes.

OP keep your chin up and I'm sure you'll find a good place to crash. You might even meet some cool people and make some new friends!

Sorry, that was directed at OP. Obviously in his case the alcoholism was part of the problem, but it doesn't make a very good explanation when you're looking for a room, unless you're talking to someone who is willing to be supportive of a person who's in recovery.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Kiss this and hang

Smarmy John posted:

Tracking down an old relative is conceptually akin to an idiom my grandma was fond of, which is well, she would say it's that you're "borrowing trouble". You have to not do it.

Holy poo poo. You did it Smarmy Joe. You finally made it work!

I don't know whether to clap or cry...or report you again.:marc:

Edit: smarmy john/joe whatever the gently caress your handle is.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 31, 2014

insufficient guns

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

Mradyfist posted:

Sorry, that was directed at OP. Obviously in his case the alcoholism was part of the problem, but it doesn't make a very good explanation when you're looking for a room, unless you're talking to someone who is willing to be supportive of a person who's in recovery.

I think in his case, less is more. "I lost my job, was unable to pay for my last place, now I'm working again and looking for a place to stay while I sort my finances" should be fine. He doesn't have to disclose the alcoholism and he's being entirely honest. That should be sufficient, unless the owner is one of those people who wants a BFF instead of just a roommate.

Sypher

posh spaz posted:

I wish I was one of those jerks who got rich off bitcoin so I could buy a house for OP to live in.

Make believe money can only buy make believe houses!

My circumstances are hard to paint as a pretty picture. My alcoholism has just been snowballing over the years. About a year ago is when it really started to take its toll. Eventually I just found myself taking Klonopin to get me through the day until I could get a drink. Rinse and Repeat. The last 6 months of my drinking are kind of a blur. I don't remember too many specifics. All I know is that I got fired because apparently it is unacceptable to come in zoned out on benzos and hung over. It also turns out that getting a job while detoxing is next to impossible.

-Re: Car insurance - Michigan is a no fault state. Couple that with the fact that I have a DUI on my record (although it is finally starting to fall off.. It has been 7 years) and my car is considered a "sports car" because it only has two doors. I am actually surprised that my insurance is as cheap as it is. Also as pointed out, shopping for car insurance without a permanent address is quite difficult. Thank goodness for paperless bills.

-Tracking down my father is completely out of the question. I have no desire to have a connection with him. He beat my mother who had Multiple Sclerosis, never paid child support, and left my mother (who was confined to a wheelchair due to her disease) alone to raise two children on disability and food stamps. If I ever run into him, there is a good chance I will end up in jail for assault.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words of encouragement and advice. I really do appreciate it. I think I have a lead on a more stable place to stay which can act more of a base of operation as opposed to a place to sleep.

I woke up in pretty good spirits today. Positive energy is flowing through me. Hopefully I can ride it out.

Rhymenoserous
Consider trading in the nice car for a beater for a quick cash injection maybe.

liquorlanche

Mradyfist posted:

there's that same stigma attached - anybody who's replying to an online posting for a room must have something horribly wrong with them that makes it hard for them to get along with people in the real world.

I disagree with this, simply because you can have 30 friends IRL who you could potentially live with, yet the time frame simply doesn't add up. One friend's lease is up in September. The other is subletting until November. A few others were totally gonna look for a 4 bedroom with you but one couldn't seem to get his finances in order, etc.

There are a ton of legitimate reasons why living with friends somehow managed to not work out. I've had better luck with Craigslist (either because I'm in the northeast US or) because since you're not friends with Craigslist roommates, it gets treated more like a business transaction as opposed to personal feelings and stupid bullshit that comes with living with your friends.

posh spaz

liquorlanche posted:

There are a ton of legitimate reasons why living with friends somehow managed to not work out. I've had better luck with Craigslist (either because I'm in the northeast US or) because since you're not friends with Craigslist roommates, it gets treated more like a business transaction as opposed to personal feelings and stupid bullshit that comes with living with your friends.

I agree. In my experience my worst roommates were my friends, and my best roommates were strangers before we lived together.

Mradyfist

liquorlanche posted:

I disagree with this, simply because you can have 30 friends IRL who you could potentially live with, yet the time frame simply doesn't add up. One friend's lease is up in September. The other is subletting until November. A few others were totally gonna look for a 4 bedroom with you but one couldn't seem to get his finances in order, etc.

I'm not saying the stigma is valid, just that it exists. Here in Portland people don't tend to consider roommate arrangements to be a financial transaction, they're looking for a new friend more often than not, especially in my neighborhood. You wouldn't believe how many postings explicitly say things like "we expect you to be a part of our communal dinners every night" or "it's not enough that you're ok with pets, you need to LOVE our animals too".

People like that don't tend to rent a room just because you can afford to pay for it, they want to hear a plausible story of how you came to be looking for somewhere to live online that proves you're not an unlikeable person. I'm not saying this because I make that assumption, I haven't rented a room out before; I'm saying that trying to rent a room myself I've run into that attitude a lot.

Farecoal

There he go
first yospos post i guess. sorry to hear that op

bump_fn

two of them

Sypher posted:

I am 30 years old and homeless. I am employed(tech support at a national electronic chain) and have a car; however, saving enough money for an apartment has been quite difficult. Most of my money goes towards food, gas, and things to keep me off the streets. After about two weeks of living out of my car, my pride collapsed and I asked a guy I know from AA for help. He is letting me crash on his couch for the time being, but he gave me a Nov 10th cutoff. (He is going on vacation for 2 weeks and obviously doesn't want me staying at his place)

I also see a therapist twice a week due to alcoholism and depression. I really don't have anyone to turn to, and I am afraid of what is going to happen come Nov 10th. Winter is just around the corner and I am not sure how long I will be able to last in my car. My health insurance is probably about to be cut off due to no payment as well.

If you would have told me at age 20 I would currently be in this situation, I would have said you are loving nuts. I am quickly becoming defeated.

If anyone has any idea how I can seek assistance to get a roof back over my head, it would be greatly appreciated. Here is additional info:

-My mother passed away at age 17, so crawling back to her isn't an option
-Completely estranged from my father (he left when I was 6)
-Sister is essentially out of my life. She was married with 2 kids but recently got divorced after cheating on her husband. She doesn't answer my calls. I think she is hiding in shame.
-Due to my alcoholism, I have alienated most of my old friends. The ones I see sporadically aren't exactly the type of people I want to be around due to my history of addiction and their habits.

I am barely holding it together. More and more often I feel like just throwing my hands up and rolling over. I am literally contemplating selling my car and getting a bus ticket to Portland. I have heard that it is a very accommodating city for homeless people.

For what it is worth, I have been sober for 4 months. It seems like the harder I try and get my life back together, the faster it falls apart.

Help.

lol

pram
lol

Cold on a Cob

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

if this guy kills himself it doesn't count as a yospos suicide ok?

pram
well hes a poo poo tier tech janitor and an alcoholic so im sure hed fit in perfectly to the cjs thread

carry on then

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

op normally i oppress the poo poo out of e/n posters but you sound legit in a bind, no advice but i hope you work something out and have a better life

LP0 ON FIRE

beep boop
i'm not laughing. i am very sorry op. i can't think of what else you can do yet, but please remember suicide is not the answer. you will get out of this eventually and feel good again. trust me

Cold on a Cob

funy computer

LP0 ON FIRE

beep boop

Cold on a Cob posted:

funy computer

posh spaz
Is there a reason this thread was moved to YOSPOS? Or just like, for funnies?

pram
its because its wacky and funny

pram
imagine, a thread that doesnt belong in a particular subforum... in that subforum lol!!!

bump_fn

two of them
can someone post a death count per subforum for 2014

Cold on a Cob

we only had two if you count the cat thread (i don't)

Cold on a Cob

i mean the cat thread is nice i guess

i don't hate cats

but that suicide was barely related to funy computer posting

Wayne Knight

Have you considered driving for uber?

posh spaz

pram posted:

imagine, a thread that doesnt belong in a particular subforum... in that subforum lol!!!

I don't "get" jokes.

pram

Cold on a Cob posted:

wrong

pram

posh spaz posted:

I don't "get" jokes.

why dont you "get" out

LP0 ON FIRE

beep boop

Cold on a Cob posted:

i don't hate cats

but that suicide was barely related to funy computer posting

there was a suicide in the pos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob

i'm more of a dog guy but i'm trying to not make enemies around here ok? my e-cred is low enough as it is

• Locked thread