Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Some people claim wearing a fedora is a choice, but that doesn't really make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Its more so the fucknard wearing the fedora/trilby than the fedora/trilby itself.

And 99.9% of people who do wear a fedora are actually complete fucknards.

Funny thing is, everyone thinks they are that .1% :laugh:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
The age-appropriateness of hats rule:

If you look ridiculous in a baseball cap, you're probably old enough to look good in a fedora.
If you look insufferably stupid in a fedora, you're probably still young enough to look better in a baseball cap.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

SpeedGem posted:

Its winter here now so I wear a wisconsin hat.

People look at me funny but gently caress you its cold out

I want to get one of these this winter

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Actually they are not good! but that's ok OP plenty of people think they are good but unfortunately they're all wrong.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
im dying of cancer irl

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

some wise motherfucker posted:

it's not the Fedora on your head that makes you repulsive to women, it's the Fedora in your heart

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
are you an attractive black or cuban man?

are you elderly?

are you a pretty and very stylish woman who can put together really really good outfits?

if you answered no to all of these dont wear a fedora

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
fedoras are cool, gently caress the haters

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Why do i wear a fedora?

I used to consider them the domain of neckbearded MRAs and pick up artists until I saw this picture on another forum:

Urban. Sophisticated. Everything a fedora wearer should be.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwyUDX0B1_s

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
It's mostly because of the kind of people who wear fedoras or trilbies, not because of the hat itself. In addition, it's usually toward the people wearing them.

Many people don't know the difference between fedoras and trilbies, causing them to mislabel their trilby as a fedora. A fedora is never mistaken for a trilby because trilbies are uncool versions of fedoras, and no one wants an uncool fedora. A lot of times, if you tell someone with a trilby who thinks they have a fedora that their trilby is a trilby, they will refuse to believe you either because a trilby isn't as cool to have or because they believe the differences between fedoras and trilbies are so minor that a trilby is an actual fedora.

To add onto this is the fact that many people believe there is some sort of magic in a fedora that automatically makes them cooler, the toast of the town, high accepted and loved people, as long as they wear one. This most likely stems from the fact that older people who wear them are cool people, and the toast of the town.

Alongside that, many people often fail to coordinate their outfit to match a fedora. You'll often see people strolling around in a fedora and lovely band clothes from Hot Topic, or something.

There are two kinds of people commonly seen wearing them: Neckbeards and a certain kind of Atheists. Sometimes they're one and the same, but a lot of times they are two separate groups. It often makes the value of inherent coolness the hat has decrease because of the major amount of stupid that comes from these two groups. Just for explanation:

Neckbeards are similar to basement dwellers, but have a superiority that makes them the target of "friendzoning", which is apparently the act of telling someone you just want to be friends while the other person wants to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. They're named after the original neckbeards...people who had beards on their necks but not on their faces. Usually, they fall into cries similar to "I was nice to her, but she friendzoned me! I deserve a girlfriend because I am a nice guy! Why are girls so evil?", when everyone knows that you shouldn't need a reward to make you treat someone like a human being. Often, you see these kinds of images being posted by them onto the internet.

The kind of atheists I speak of are "logic"-driven people who denounce faith and religion with cries of "I am smarter than you because I am not ruled by a fictional character" and other similar things. They constantly put down religious people and religions with their "sound" logic. Many of these kinds of atheists are neckbeards.

Here's a simple guide to pulling off a fedora:

1. Get a real fedora. Not a trilby (the narrow brim "fedora" that was popular recently) or a cheap costume fedora. Stetson and Dobbs are good choices, if they've been around since fedoras were originally popular and they are sold at a real hat store that will size you and care for the hat (clean and reshape it) you're probably safe.

2. Fedoras, like most hats that aren't baseball caps, have a dress code. At the very least you'll want nice slacks, a button up LONG SLEEVE shirt (tucked in, with a flat color or mild pattern, no Ed Hardy), and if possible a tie. If you're trying to be more formal, go with a full suit, but you can also pull of a casual look without looking like a fool (rolled up sleeves are fine but avoid short sleeve shirts, throw on a sweater or sweater vest and you don't need a tie). You don't need to wear dress shoes, but sneakers are definitely not an option. Go for something brown, black, or tan, preferably leather, with no crazy patterns. Take time to find the right kind of clothes (they don't even have to be expensive ones) and you'll be surprised how comfortable this dress code can be.

3. Don't let the fedora influence your personality. This may sound wrong at first, but don't try to look up proper hat etiquette, this is a very different world and constantly doffing your hat and taking it off when a girl steps onto the elevator just comes across as weird and slightly creepy in 2014.

Basically, if you want to wear a fedora, you'd better be willing to go all the way. Don't expect to just add it to your everyday clothes without looking like a jerk, and don't pretend to be Cary grant or you'll seem like a creep.

If you follow these basic outlines, it's pretty easy to pull off a fedora, just look at the millions of people who did it every day in the 1940s.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 30, 2014

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Xaris posted:

It's mostly because of the kind of people who wear fedoras or trilbies, not because of the hat itself. In addition, it's usually toward the people wearing them.

Many people don't know the difference between fedoras and trilbies, causing them to mislabel their trilby as a fedora. A fedora is never mistaken for a trilby because trilbies are uncool versions of fedoras, and no one wants an uncool fedora. A lot of times, if you tell someone with a trilby who thinks they have a fedora that their trilby is a trilby, they will refuse to believe you either because a trilby isn't as cool to have or because they believe the differences between fedoras and trilbies are so minor that a trilby is an actual fedora.

To add onto this is the fact that many people believe there is some sort of magic in a fedora that automatically makes them cooler, the toast of the town, high accepted and loved people, as long as they wear one. This most likely stems from the fact that older people who wear them are cool people, and the toast of the town.

Alongside that, many people often fail to coordinate their outfit to match a fedora. You'll often see people strolling around in a fedora and lovely band clothes from Hot Topic, or something.

There are two kinds of people commonly seen wearing them: Neckbeards and a certain kind of Atheists. Sometimes they're one and the same, but a lot of times they are two separate groups. It often makes the value of inherent coolness the hat has decrease because of the major amount of stupid that comes from these two groups. Just for explanation:

Neckbeards are similar to basement dwellers, but have a superiority that makes them the target of "friendzoning", which is apparently the act of telling someone you just want to be friends while the other person wants to be your boyfriend/girlfriend. They're named after the original neckbeards...people who had beards on their necks but not on their faces. Usually, they fall into cries similar to "I was nice to her, but she friendzoned me! I deserve a girlfriend because I am a nice guy! Why are girls so evil?", when everyone knows that you shouldn't need a reward to make you treat someone like a human being. Often, you see these kinds of images being posted by them onto the internet.

The kind of atheists I speak of are "logic"-driven people who denounce faith and religion with cries of "I am smarter than you because I am not ruled by a fictional character" and other similar things. They constantly put down religious people and religions with their "sound" logic. Many of these kinds of atheists are neckbeards.

Here's a simple guide to pulling off a fedora:

1. Get a real fedora. Not a trilby (the narrow brim "fedora" that was popular recently) or a cheap costume fedora. Stetson and Dobbs are good choices, if they've been around since fedoras were originally popular and they are sold at a real hat store that will size you and care for the hat (clean and reshape it) you're probably safe.

2. Fedoras, like most hats that aren't baseball caps, have a dress code. At the very least you'll want nice slacks, a button up LONG SLEEVE shirt (tucked in, with a flat color or mild pattern, no Ed Hardy), and if possible a tie. If you're trying to be more formal, go with a full suit, but you can also pull of a casual look without looking like a fool (rolled up sleeves are fine but avoid short sleeve shirts, throw on a sweater or sweater vest and you don't need a tie). You don't need to wear dress shoes, but sneakers are definitely not an option. Go for something brown, black, or tan, preferably leather, with no crazy patterns. Take time to find the right kind of clothes (they don't even have to be expensive ones) and you'll be surprised how comfortable this dress code can be.

3. Don't let the fedora influence your personality. This may sound wrong at first, but don't try to look up proper hat etiquette, this is a very different world and constantly doffing your hat and taking it off when a girl steps onto the elevator just comes across as weird and slightly creepy in 2014.

Basically, if you want to wear a fedora, you'd better be willing to go all the way. Don't expect to just add it to your everyday clothes without looking like a jerk, and don't pretend to be Cary grant or you'll seem like a creep.

If you follow these basic outlines, it's pretty easy to pull off a fedora, just look at the millions of people who did it every day in the 1940s.

This is some Poe's Law poo poo right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

olylifter posted:

This is some Poe's Law poo poo right here

reddit is always sincere