Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Monster Strike is the latest of dragonesques to hit North American shores (gently caress you Europe). Featuring a weird hybrid of billiards and pinball (or Metal Walker if you ever played that) and designed by SFII and Final Fight alum Yoshiki Okamoto, it's become so popular in Japan that it's even managed to dethrone Puzzle & Dragons as the nation's top grossing app.

Here have a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAqXX1iRJpY

Here have an IRC
#monstrike@irc.synirc.net
and a friendslist
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RDIVpwTy-da91e1rd_029b3O5RbTOBpQKjiv5kks2iE/edit#gid=0

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-strike/id906287108?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.mixi.monsterstrikeUS
- APK: https://app.box.com/s/fefmzf8nf9vuockeicuk

Co-op
This game supports co-op with up to four players, each controlling a monster. Not only are rewards duplicated for each member of the party, only the party leader spends stamina to run the dungeon. This allows players to chain run dungeons and helps play sessions last much longer than the average dragonesque. We use LINE to manage lobby invitations, as the app is natively supported by Monstrike itself. You'll need a phone number or a Facebook login to sign up. Join the goon group by scanning the QR code from "Add Friends" from within the app:

You get 5 stones for the first ten unique players you co-op with and 1 stone for the next 90 thereafter (make sure to turn on push notifications), leading to a huge windfall of premium currency early on in the game to get your box up and running. The game is balanced around co-op, even featuring dungeons exclusively playable with others, so party early and party hard.

Rerolling
The bad news is that this game has a fairly brutal rerolling process as far as scarcity of keepable monsters goes. The good news is that rerolling is super fast compared to PAD or Terra Battle, and due to modularity and co-op, whatever monster you end up keeping is viable all the way to endgame. If you're using iFunbox or a rooted Android to reroll, the file to delete is data10.bin. Otherwise, you'll have to download hotfixes every reroll attempt. Don't reroll on data because you'll use up a lot of bandwith redownloading everything each time.

The tier list, according to the latest version available in Japan, is below. Since our gatcha is currently not as strong as Japan's, I've added other monsters considered pretty good for our standards. Bolded monsters are what are currently attainable in America.
S tier:
Aladdin
Margarite
Belphegor
Yggdrasil
Red Riding Hood
Zeus
Arthur

A tier:
Sakamoto Ryouma
Napoleon
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Beethoven
Hunter King
Striker
Alice
Tini

B tier:
Uesugi Kenshin
Agnamute X
Mustang/Wildcat
Heracles
Athena
Agnamute (separate from X)
Harley X (NOT the regular version, who is considerably worse)
Satan
Loki
Odin

Other keepables:
Nanami
Nobunaga
Nobunaga X
Eclipse
Merlin
Apollo X
Mundus/World
Yukimura

Other game features that I'm explaining because people will ask otherwise
The primary method of increasing your monsters' levels is by feeding them Expies. You can get these from the friend hatcher, from Expie dungeons (check the Expie Forecast for when the next scheduled one will occur), or from bonus stages at the end of a dungeon tier. There are monsters that look similar to Expies called Backs which are only good for being sold for cash.

Luck affects the probability of obtaining additional drops at the end of a mission. If you're in co-op, each participating player gets a roll depending on the Luck of their lead monster. With lots of Luck, fun things like this can happen:

You can increase your Luck by fusing monsters in the same evolutionary line to each other. Yes, this means your hot REM exclusives probably aren't going to max out on luck unless you're an omega-tier hyper whale.

Monsters can evolve or ascend. Evolution takes stoans and sharls, obtainable as mission rewards from clearing normal dungeons, as rare drops from normal play, or as more common drops from daily dungeons. Divine Sharls are super rare and only come from the Hard versions of these dungeons, but are slightly more common on weekends. You also get one free Divine Sharl by clearing a certain co-op dungeon. Ascension requires monsters to perform, obtainable as boss drops from rotating dungeons. You can switch between evolutions or ascensions at any time provided you have the necessary materials.

The daily dungeon schedule is as follows:
Monday: Light & Dark
Tuesday: Fire
Wednesday: Water
Thursday: Wood
Friday: Gold Turtle money day
Saturday: Mixed Fire/Water/Light
Sunday: Mixed Wood/Dark

Morlings allow you to increase the stats of your monsters above what is normally attainable. Different Morlings specialize in each stat, and you can feed same-stat-type Morlings to each other to stack buffs before feeding them to your desired monster to save on money.

Striker Jr. is a rare drop from the friend hatcher. While his base stats suck his stats can be buffed to a high number after being fed Morlings. He's pretty much a whale trap for this reason though.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

can you explain this game to people who aren't obsessive japanospergs, OP?

You have monsters that are represnted by orbs that you fling around a battlefield and smack other monster orbs / enemies like they were billiard balls

edit: here have a gif I pulled from some random youtube video

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 30, 2014

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Anyone have a quick and dirty guide to setting up co-op games? Every time I try to join or host a random game it'll go through the location data business, never pulls up anyone for me to join, and nobody ever joins me. Is that strictly for playing within the same area? Through line works -sometimes- when I join, but whenever I try to host and join through the link I make it never seems to let me go through? I'm probably loving something up but the whole process seems really obtuse for being a really fun game otherwise.

The game was originally local co-op only (much like Monster Hunter) and the true online co-op was only recently added in a bit of a hack job, assumedly for the western release (much like Monster Hunter).

Does Monster Strike appear to be completely restarting whenever you kiln your own LINE group? There's a thing that happens where your lobby resets to the last instantized one if you run out of RAM and MS gets put into suspend mode.

Note that the yellow "search for players" button is strictly for local play (within a few miles) while the green one is for creating online lobbies.

When you make a lobby and post it to the chat room, you need to click on the link yourself to join the room you created. Tabbing back to the game won't do anything. If you join somebody else's room and nothing shows up, usually that means either the host hasn't joined yet or he/she has already started the quest.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The save structure is pretty similar to how PAD works so I'm guessing it will work, but you may get strange issues like stamina not appearing correctly or monsters not existing when they should.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you got a Zeus, his Ascended mats are rotating in
http://us.monster-strike.com/news/extreme_event_quests_111_-_114.html

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

bengy81 posted:

Where do you farm Divine Sharls?

the op posted:

Divine Sharls are super rare and only come from the Hard versions of [daily] dungeons, but are slightly more common on weekends. You also get one free Divine Sharl by clearing a certain co-op dungeon.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

applebane posted:

Okay, almost everytime i try to start a co op game it never sends the stage i select, and worse it loves selecting stages that are no longer playable and I dont know how to fix it.

I try restarting the app, the phone, play a bunch of different stages in single player, and play someone else co op invite ; but it just wont let go of what ever stage it picked.

Do you notice Monstrike restarting when you click in from the LINE link? There's a bug where if that happens it'll actually send you to the last dungeon you successfully hosted. You can actually use this to chain run bonus stages... but that might be against TOS.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

It it ok just to follow the "sell for gold" and "fuse for big xp boost" things?

Is it just a case of keeping anything that appears on the list of good stuff, and fusing the rest?

Yes, the turtles do what they are advertised. Same with the Morlings

Generally speaking anything below 4* is worthless trash, with the exception being probably the drakes that you can farm for Luck.

4* monsters tend to have very niche uses. Like for example Jupiter has a weak bump combo but the combination of Pierce and Shield Breaker makes her really good for bosses that like to surround themselves with shields.

5* monsters are more universally useful.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

m.hache posted:

Ok finally pulled a Zeus. :slick:

Any recommendations for what to do as a starter? I am just going to keep doing solo missions until I can't anymore.

Also is it worth keeping your starter character, or will he be replaced with the 4* rare rolls that I've been getting.

Piggyback onto goon runs. If they're good about labeling what stages they're running (which isn't generally the case, yet) then when exp shellathons and bonus stages are up you can get a bunch of experience for Zeus really quick and get showered in stones for new striker bonuses to boot.

Your starter drake will generally be replaced early on. As a long term project, though, some players stack luck on the Fire Drake to make bonus drops very likely.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You can add goon friends but it's easier to just wait for runs to get put up in the group chat room. Or put some up yourself. Make sure you don't share as post.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

Got an Arthur on my fifth or so reroll (and immediately wondered what Saber was doing here). Guess that means I'm playin' now. Does this game have PAD-style godfests to save stones for?

edit: Huh. that Line QR code just opens up a firefox tab telling me to install Line, enough those I do in fact have Line installed! What gives?

The events where all eggs come out at 4* or above are the equivalent of PAD godfests, the current one of which should be ending soon.

Are you scanning the QR code from LINE itself or from whatever reader you happen to have installed?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Stuff in later dungeons presumably will be harder to deal with and will require combinations of attributes that Zeus and Arthur don't cover. You can already see Zeus struggle with dungeons with lots of gravity barriers.

I don't know what Japan's metagame is like currently since I quit back in Friday but YouTube might give you an idea.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

inkmoth posted:

So I'm a sucker for this kind of game, but I don't really understand the reroll process. I understand how to delete my info and start over, but when in the game do I want to do that? There's a tutorial at the start where I picked a colored dragon and the first tutorial mission results in an egg - if that egg isn't one of the big guns, do I need to restart?

After your first roll, the game will direct you to the first quest in the game. Instead of finishing the stage, choose to quit from the menu and you can claim 5 orbs from the "complete the tutorial" mission.

You can also skip the fusion tutorial to save more time and hold on to that Deluxpie to feed to whatever ends up being a keeper for you.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

A question for you, dragon enthusiast:

I'm currently at Rank 31. My team consists of 6* Zeus Olympios (lvl 79), 5* Neptune (max lvl), and 4* Ishida Mitsunari (max lvl, just need a couple more materials to evo). I've also got a 4* Albacore and 4* Saya, which I haven't really done anything with yet. I've cleared all of the dungeons up to Blinding Menagerie (including the co-op ones), and I'm currently sitting on roughly 200 stones.

What should I be doing right now?

Chill out and kill descendeds as they drop, maybe pick up a 90 Luck Wrathful Jabbanero?

I think eventually you'll hit a normal dungeon that requires you to be rank 111 before it lets you run it, so yeahhhhh

Xtanstic posted:

What's the reason for the discrepancy between the OP tierlist and http://www.monsterstrikedatabase.com/tierlist.html ? Is it mainly a stat thing or a skill/quality of life issue?

Mine comes from this site. That site's is based off of [url="http://モンスターストライク.gamewith.jp/article/show/286"]this tier list[/url] I believe.

edit: gently caress radium you get the picture

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 5, 2014

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
To whomever was wondering if you can transfer accounts between ios/ Android, apparently you can just copy the data10.bin file over just fine even though there's no official method.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The list in the op is basically only for anchors, there are plenty of monsters that fill niche needs but not many are generally useful.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Local Co-op probably, online co-op maybe depending on if the game likes your phone/internet connection

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Is there something you need to do to get orbs from co-op? I've played a ton of games with other goons and have gotten nine, and have even hosted a couple and gotten nothing from those either. Would be a bummer to miss out on them.

the op posted:

(make sure to turn on push notifications)

although to be fair this is like the most commonly asked thing so

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Fatherwolf posted:

Anyone know what just got added in the new immortal series?

Tequila (now Margarite) and Gimlet (now Tini)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Margarite is god tier and Tini top tier on the reroll list so as far as those are concerned they're great.

However the machine no longer has guaranteed 4* and up which means I hope you're ready to get trolled.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

madstrike posted:

So, on the mission log, i have a bunch of co-op missions there since the start of the game but whenever i click on "attempt", i get that the stage is not available yet ? Is this just me?

It's because they're the final dungeon in a particular set, which you haven't unlocked yet.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Using their strike shots as a baseline, Margarite is more support oriented while Arthur is more offensive. Since it seems like 75% of goons have Arthur somehow it may be advantageous to add diversity. Or you can contribute to the OW Laser lightshow if that's more your cup of tea.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Eventually you will pull a good monster, but it may take a very long time. It's better to either save scum, or take an account from one of the goons who has extra starter accounts saved up from earlier in the thread (assuming you're on iOS).

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You can do better.

Also, the Goon LINE group is currently at 191 members. Since there's a soft cap of 200 members I'm going to delete anybody inactive in the group. How it's going to work is I'm going to clear my chat history starting right after I post this, and on Thursday I'm going to check the chatlogs and remove anybody who hasn't posted anything in the chat room since now. If you want to stay in the group just say literally anything in the chat before Thursday.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Nosre posted:

I think I'd love the game, but gently caress giving random apps my phone number and/or permission to troll through my contacts/facebook. What is this line thing that it requires being able to do that?

The reason it asks for those permissions is so it can do this

If you don't want to spam your contacts list with garbage don't click on the "invite friends" button. As said before just stick to LINE and you won't need to bother with any of that.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
LINE group filled up faster than expected. I was originally planning on culling inactive players tomorrow but if anybody who recently started playing really wants to get into runs i can do it tonight instead?!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Has anybody has connection issues since today? Keeps getting stuck on Connecting... after the title screen.

Edit: nevermind it fixed itself after switching back to my US iTunes account

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 14, 2014

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Strikehub is in progress; I think he recently learned how to datamine the game so he's got translations up for things we can't access yet.
http://www.strikehub.com/

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you have people to play co-op with (and you live in Japan so duh) then all you need is one competent monster. For solo play you probably want at least two solid keepable monsters.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Free 50 orbs from the launch party (unlimited use, once per account)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's already more popular than PAD in Japan, but the US seems way less down with the abysmal gacha so we'll see.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zs6M-MQmEY

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
No at starter list being up to date (I stopped playing so I don't know what's the hot poo poo anymore)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I don't play anymore so go ahead and make a new thread

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://us.monster-strike.com/news/important_co-op_overhaul.html

rip

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Oh it already took hold in Japan? I don't play the game anymore either lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EvxMvqrJUC4

lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Better roll in Granblue Fantasy now cause you get 1 free Legfest 10pull every day for a week!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I tried looking up how to register aaand... i'll wait for the language patch.

Use the Chrome App Store method, it's fairly straightforward. Don't even need to set up a reroll process since you'll probably get an SSR over the course of the week... maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Technically you get English options if you were selected for the beta, but the complete rollout isn't going out until April 11th.

Also I'm fine with the change in thread title because much like Monster Strike all I do in Granblue is log in and roll on gacha

• Locked thread