Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Whats annoying about the show is about nerds, but the jokes aren't really that nerdy. Like, when they played Halo, a nerdy joke would be for one of them to say "Hold on, I need to get a food nipple from the starship, because I worked up a BIG GRUNTY THIRST!" And then have the rest of them laugh, and not explain it any more then that. That would have been funny as no one who hasn't played halo would get, and even many people who have played it wouldn't have gotten it either, but that would have been the point. But instead, they play halo and just say "I shall use my PLASMA GRENADE!" (laugh track erupts).

For non-gamer reference, it would be like if they were all watching football and that was absurd for some reason, and instead of saying something like "Wow Leonard, you are fumbling your chips worst then LARRY BROWN!" (or whoever is unpopular or whatever). They say " Wow, that FOOTBALL PLAYER was SACKED by that QUATERBACK!" and then the crowd erupts with laughter.

In short, the jokes are what a "non-nerdy" person would think a "nerdy" joke would be. Its either they looked at the back of the box of a game, or someone just explains their experiment in the longest way possible when it really isn't actually that complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

Basically BBT's humor hinges on normal people watching it and laughing at how the nerds don't confirm to their narrow definition of what's normal while the nerds' nerdiness isn't exaggerated at all

Pretty much it, all the guys have successful jobs in their fields, healthy social life, all most of them are in a committed relationship with a woman, so they are all living happy lives. But they are huge NEEEEEEERRRRRRRDS because they play video games and go to the comic book store rather then get drunk and watch football.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

This is some seinfeld poo poo. Disappointed it isn't what the real show is.

Sheldon's delivery is really what makes him funny.

Yeah, this might have made Sheldon more funny, he would have been more of a normal guy if he had a interest in sex, rather then being disgusted by sex in any form as he currently is. Explaining why his shortcomings (lol) in bed are an evolutionary advantage would have been funny.

I still watch the show, it still has its moments.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yeah I don't watch it but I've seen a couple episodes anyway and Sheldon would be a lot funnier if he was into sex but had all these scientific justifications for it. Big bootays indeed

Instead he's this weird stand in for aspergers that people laugh at because lol nerds are so funny!

Or like one of my college roommates, because they're like "I get it I'm so smart too" when the poster on page one pointed out the flaw in their delivery and jokes regarding halo etc. of course, this roommate also thought the red part of a flame was the hottest.

That poster was me btw, but yeah, Sheldon already has been blatantly sexist and racists and explained away that, so him harassing women should have been up his ally too. He probably would have had alot of scientific things to say about yoga pants I bet.

"Miss, your buttocks is perfectly shaped evolutionary perfection! My left over ape traits in my psyche would have made it impossible for me to have not open-palm slapped your buttocks. If anything you should have been insulted if I didn't slap it! What? I have to talk to the HR woman again!? " **laughter erupts**

I would have preferred that kind of creepy to Howard's brand of gross, holy gently caress he was gross early seasons.

• Locked thread