Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the best thing is that they didn't really kill it. they took the cool ideas and stole them for everything, and his designs for that movie are still showing up in ridley scott movies today. lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

good. i think its cool that david lynch made whats probably the best sci fi movie ever created and he completely loving hates and disowns it. david lynch owns, dune owns

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

hemophilia posted:

actually it is good and you can take your mission to slander its greatness, shove it up your rear end and jump off a bridge. :colbert:

I never thought I'd say this, but I am down with hemophilia!

The super extended cut is my favorite.

The Sci-Fi Channel never made their version. It was never here.

poo poo there is no third stage Guild Navigator smilie.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ive never seen the sci fi channel version because it looks retarded and embarrassing

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

ive never seen the sci fi channel version because it looks retarded and embarrassing

It's probably for the best if you have good feelings towards the other only version.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

TEAYCHES posted:

it is, everyone is eastern european and wears silly hats

lynchdune owns though, only cool hats are worn

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

TEAYCHES posted:

good. i think its cool that david lynch made whats probably the best sci fi movie ever created and he completely loving hates and disowns it. david lynch owns, dune owns

Spoilers: he hates and disowns it because it is a bad movie for so many reasons

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone who thinks the movie does the novel justice either hasn't read the novel or is utterly retarded

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

black man 3 posted:

Spoilers: he hates and disowns it because it is a bad movie for so many reasons

its actually a great movie and owns

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

there would be no way to do the novel "justice" on the screen unless you had something like game of thrones. like maybe 10 hours would have been enough to go through the first book adequately. but for what it is, the movie completely owns

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

there would be no way to do the novel "justice" on the screen unless you had something like game of thrones. like maybe 10 hours would have been enough to go through the first book adequately. but for what it is, the movie completely owns

Who in their right mind would even attempt to do it in a miniseries? Nobody we should ever take seriously, specifically the Sci-Fi channel.

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Wait a sec, gotta think about the next post I make *camera does a close up of my face while I do a voice over whispering "wow is there any way I can explain to these morons how loving stupid they are"*

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

MadMattH posted:

Who in their right mind would even attempt to do it in a miniseries? Nobody we should ever take seriously, specifically the Sci-Fi channel.

i meant a well funded miniseries ran by competent people

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

TEAYCHES posted:

But seriously the question you should be asking yourself is "is this actually a film that should've been made at all?"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the best thing about the book is the message of warlike never fight fair muslims defeating a technologically advanced arrogant superpower has relevance today.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

black man 3 posted:

But seriously the question you should be asking yourself is "is this actually a film that should've been made at all?"

i enjoyed the film, i enjoyed the book, and im not utterly retarded

go and consider that for awhile

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

the best thing about the book is the message of warlike never fight fair muslims defeating a technologically advanced arrogant superpower has relevance today.

If the book was representative of today then the fremen would be too busy murdering each other over whether Paul ate a pork gammon steak on the evening of conquest or whether it was actually a lobster thermidor

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

black man 3 posted:

Probably not, but it was and the end product, while being incomprehensible to people not familiar with the book, still is pretty cool.
The same can be said of lots of movies though.

EDIT: That being said I do think that having David Lynch direct a movie like that is pretty awesome too.

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW

MadMattH posted:

Probably not, but it was and the end product, while being incomprehensible to people not familiar with the book, still is pretty cool.
The same can be said of lots of movies though.

Lots of movies which are complete crap yeah I agree

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Dune is pretty good I guess but I wonder why Frank Herbert decided to plagiarize Warhammer 40k of all things, there are so many similarities!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the david lynch dune movie kicked rear end

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

hemophilia posted:

god: emperor of dune are pretty good.

god emperor is loving awful

messiah and children aren't bad

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I love how that guy just deliberately twists the reality behind Lynch Dune to fit his inborn urge to blaspheme against it.

The problems with Dune were where De Laurentiis poo poo the bed in post production. The producers panicked and turn 4+ hours of scenes and dialogue into a 1.5hr movie, and did some questionable things that hurt the movie in editing.

In spite of all this, he was still writing a script for Dune Messiah in anticipation of another movie. His alienation from dune didn't come until De Laurentiis tried to do a big recut/re-release a few years ago that restored some cut scenes and made some star wars-quality changes here and there. He wasn't consulted for this, didn't like the end product, and understandably had his name struck from it.

I'm not saying Dune is Lynch's favorite project, because it's not, but he's only 'disowned' one version, and his problems with it boil down to: Dino De Laurentiis and his daughter are poo poo-birds of the highest order, and probably the worst producers to ever make movies in hollywood.

Dune 1984 is still good, and captures an incomplete, flawed, but still enjoyable version of Dune that's still better than Jodorowsky's ideas, and it's better than the miniseries. Frank Herbert liked it. I liked it. I still get people who have never read Dune to watch and enjoy it, so it's good enough for me.

Also, the sci-fi miniseries was interesting when it first aired. If you watched it as it aired, it was interesting. It didn't hold up to repeat viewings and looked like rear end less than a year after it came out, but I would still rather have a sci-fi channel that at least tries to make sci-fi stuff instead of SyFy: The Asylum Channel.

Not saying it's good because the miniseries is real bad.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MadMattH posted:

poo poo there is no third stage Guild Navigator smilie.

how about :coolfish:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hemophilia posted:

I love how that guy just deliberately twists the reality behind Lynch Dune to fit his inborn urge to blaspheme against it.

The problems with Dune were where De Laurentiis poo poo the bed in post production. The producers panicked and turn 4+ hours of scenes and dialogue into a 1.5hr movie, and did some questionable things that hurt the movie in editing.

In spite of all this, he was still writing a script for Dune Messiah in anticipation of another movie. His alienation from dune didn't come until De Laurentiis tried to do a big recut/re-release a few years ago that restored some cut scenes and made some star wars-quality changes here and there. He wasn't consulted for this, didn't like the end product, and understandably had his name struck from it.

I'm not saying Dune is Lynch's favorite project, because it's not, but he's only 'disowned' one version, and his problems with it boil down to: Dino De Laurentiis and his daughter are poo poo-birds of the highest order, and probably the worst producers to ever make movies in hollywood.

Dune 1984 is still good, and captures an incomplete, flawed, but still enjoyable version of Dune that's still better than Jodorowsky's ideas, and it's better than the miniseries. Frank Herbert liked it. I liked it. I still get people who have never read Dune to watch and enjoy it, so it's good enough for me.

Also, the sci-fi miniseries was interesting when it first aired. If you watched it as it aired, it was interesting. It didn't hold up to repeat viewings and looked like rear end less than a year after it came out, but I would still rather have a sci-fi channel that at least tries to make sci-fi stuff instead of SyFy: The Asylum Channel.

i can agree w/ all this

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm sorry but lack of final cut isn't the only thing that destroyed that movie. From a terrible casting, to clearly lazy screenplay, and special effects that make star wars weep (remember this film was budgeted 4x more than a film made a decade earlier and was done worse) it just wasn't going to be good. In fact my opinion is the novel shouldn't have ever made it to the big screen because it just doesn't work. There's too much freaking subtlety with the character internalisation and the director clearly couldn't figure out a way to convey it on the big screen without outright stating things to the audience through thought monologue, instead of it being apparent from the behaviour of the characters. This is a sign of a movie that is best left as a novel.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TEAYCHES posted:

David Fincher also hates Alien 3 and its great. Maybe it has something to do with Daves.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Not to derail into DeLaurentis chat, but looking over the list of movies produced by Dino, there are some real crappy movies. Along with those really crappy ones there are some really good ones. I'm not going to claim that his movies are flawless, but saying that he is the worst producer ever is kind far out there.

He is still a poo poo bird though. Only cause that sounds like some Tleilaxu poo poo.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lynch dune has some sweet-as-hell sets and props and costumes as such that went on to influence how people picture and imagine the duniverse / dune world.

it's good

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

black man 3 posted:

I'm sorry but lack of final cut isn't the only thing that destroyed that movie. From a terrible casting, to clearly lazy screenplay, and special effects that make star wars weep (remember this film was budgeted 4x more than a film made a decade earlier and was done worse) it just wasn't going to be good. In fact my opinion is the novel shouldn't have ever made it to the big screen because it just doesn't work. There's too much freaking subtlety with the character internalisation and the director clearly couldn't figure out a way to convey it on the big screen without outright stating things to the audience through thought monologue, instead of it being apparent from the behaviour of the characters. This is a sign of a movie that is best left as a novel.

Casting? Name a better Baron. I dare you motherfucker.

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
The baron came off, to me at least, as a psychopathic moron, rather than an evil genius. What more is there to be said.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

black man 3 posted:

this is all mostly wrong. the casting was excellent, the screenplay was the best you can do condensing something like dune into a movie, and the special effects owned. comeon 1984 the shield effects when dueling were loving amazing. the worm was cool as hell and the battle at the end was great if a little corny

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

kyle maclachlan was perfect as paul atreides imo

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

Dune is a lot of exposition and people standing around plotting/thinking. Oddly it would have been more faithfully done as some 4-hour BBC Shakespeare production for basically no money.

Which is to say I agree with you, there was no way to make it as a conventional film and remain faithful to the source material.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

black man 3 posted:

The baron came off, to me at least, as a psychopathic moron, rather than an evil genius. What more is there to be said.

Considering that that's what was called for, not much. He was supposed to be pretty much criminally insane. That's why he wasn't the successful end product of the Bene Gesserit breeding program.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

black man 3 posted:

I really liked the movie. That said, I doubt most Dune fans in here would say it was as good as the book, or a faithful recreation of the book. But Lynch did manage to capture a lot of the atmosphere and feeling of a lot of the characters from the book pretty drat well; sure as hell better than Scifi channel or better than Jodorowsky's LSD-addled imagination would have. Dune certainly is better as a book, but to be fair, Lynch did pretty drat good making a movie out of a novel that was basically unfilmable.

e:

TEAYCHES posted:

comeon 1984 the shield effects when dueling were loving amazing.

Also, yeah, to this day that shield fight between Paul and Gurney looks rad as hell

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TEAYCHES posted:

the screenplay was the best you can do condensing something like dune into a movie
wrong. there is a better way to do it. but it was still a good movie.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The only things I really don't like about Lynch's Dune is the weirding modules and the rain at the end.

I don't have good reasons for them except 'not canon' but those changes to the story didn't make anything better and unlike Baron Harkonen's change from Gay Pedophile Hedonist to The Evilest Dumb Motherfucker Ever, it was okay. and Feyd being turned into Sting for no reason was even fine. But the rain is somehow unacceptable and so are the weirding modules. You know this movie would have been better with The Weirding Way instead of Weirding Modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the original movie started with an explainer, then went to kaitan, then to caladan, then to giedi prime, then back to caladan as they were leaving for arrakis... it just doesn't work.

what you need to do is cut out a lot of the extraneous poo poo like the spacing guild and probably the bene gesserit, too. you don't need these to establish that spice is important, that prophecies exist, etc. the movie should *begin* with the atreides arriving on arrakis. show/don't tell and so forth. also cut some of the harkonnen supporting characters. yeah it wouldn't be faithful to the book but who cares.

• Locked thread