Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

pierre omidiyar is a piece of poo poo but it turned out that it wasnt for any of the reasons mark ames insinuated. hes just a lovely loving silicon valley sperg with a terrible management philosophy

the fact that the racket isnt going to happen and taibbi isnt going to lead an awesome news magazine is a goddamn tragedy

also lmao the intercept wrote a long rear end article making GBS threads on omidiyar, who funds them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Monkey Man posted:

"Her oval office was as tight as a cat's rear end...

He apparently just made a confusion in the goon confession thread as well.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lars! posted:

I've been on the Internet since Endless September,

I get this

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

quote:

Taibbi and other journalists who came to First Look believed they were joining a free-wheeling, autonomous, and unstructured institution. What they found instead was a confounding array of rules, structures, and systems imposed by Omidyar and other First Look managers on matters both trivial—which computer program to use to internally communicate, mandatory regular company-wide meetings, mandated use of a “responsibility assignment matrix” called a “RASCI,” popular in business-school circles for managing projects—as well as more substantive issues.

The lack of autonomous budgets, for instance, meant that in many cases Omidyar was personally signing off on—and occasionally objecting to—employee expense reports for taxi rides and office supplies. Both Cook, The Intercept‘s editor-in-chief, and Taibbi chafed at what they regarded as onerous intrusions into their hiring authority.

Months of constant wrangling, bubbling resentments, and low-level sniping over those perceived infringements began to explode into the open in the spring and summer. In April, First Look executive editor Eric Bates told Cook and Taibbi that Omidyar had imposed a three-month “hiring freeze” on both magazines in order to allow the company to figure out its directions and “values.” (Omidyar later told staffers that there was no freeze, and that his instructions had been misunderstood.) Both editors were in the middle of recruiting their staffs, and the restriction was viewed internally as emblematic of the arbitrary and excessive authority being exercised by First Look over the magazines’ operations.

A few months later, over the summer, Omidyar told employees that he was “re-tooling” the company’s focus and building a laboratory environment to foster the development of new technologies for delivering and consuming news—the idea, he said at the time, was to orient the company more toward “products,” as opposed to “content.” While he said that he was “as committed as ever” to both The Intercept and to Taibbi’s project, Omidyar made clear that there were no plans to launch any more digital magazines in the near term, and that the idea of a flagship site had been scrapped altogether.

Most of the journalists hired by First Look by that point were under the impression that they would be joining a large, ambitious, general-interest news organization, and the shift left many staffers deeply concerned about the company’s commitment to journalism and confused about its mission.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zen Punk posted:

my pervometer readings are off the scale

yhou really could have jsut left it at pedometer

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

If it is real, he is a bad person.
If it is not real, he is a bad person.
It is either real or not real.
Therefore, he is a bad person.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
All those eXiled guys are pieces of poo poo. The fact that they were going after others pieces of poo poo with their writing doesn't mitigate that fact. That corny "muscular left" tone the all adopted was plain embarrassing. Anecdotes like this were part of building up that persona that nobody bought anyway.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Agag posted:

All those eXiled guys are pieces of poo poo. The fact that they were going after others pieces of poo poo with their writing doesn't mitigate that fact. That corny "muscular left" tone the all adopted was plain embarrassing. Anecdotes like this were part of building up that persona that nobody bought anyway.

matt taibbi is the exception as far as not being a piece of poo poo and dolan is entertaining as gently caress and a good writer despite being a piece of poo poo

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i can't believe mark ames raped a drunk, pregnant 15 year old!!!

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

matt taibbi is the exception as far as not being a piece of poo poo and dolan is entertaining as gently caress and a good writer despite being a piece of poo poo

Ok I can live with Taibbi. Dolan-as-War-Nerd annoys the poo poo out of me, but its a stylistic thing. He also has that goon thing where he made all these racist jokes in his column and you couldn't be sure if they were "ironic" or not. I guess he gets points for being one of the half-dozen writers who knew Iraq was going to be hosed.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Agag posted:

Ok I can live with Taibbi. Dolan-as-War-Nerd annoys the poo poo out of me, but its a stylistic thing. He also has that goon thing where he made all these racist jokes in his column and you couldn't be sure if they were "ironic" or not. I guess he gets points for being one of the half-dozen writers who knew Iraq was going to be hosed.

dolan is doing the equivalent of stand-up-comedy with geopolitics. its offensive and it would be utter poo poo if it wasnt actually good. like there are people who could try what dolan does and just be racist fuckheads, but dolan is legit clever and he can make the worst possible statements and get away with it because of the context, in my humble opinion

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
First Look Media sounds like a fun place to work with a healthy office culture

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

dolan is doing the equivalent of stand-up-comedy with geopolitics. its offensive and it would be utter poo poo if it wasnt actually good. like there are people who could try what dolan does and just be racist fuckheads, but dolan is legit clever and he can make the worst possible statements and get away with it because of the context, in my humble opinion

I'm not sure he's joking.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i think its pretty amazing that the intercept put out an article that critical of their parent 'company'. again, theres like 5 hardcore paragraphs of making GBS threads on omidiyar. like the new york times has margaret sullivan who is a pretty good public editor but i cant imagine her saying the same kind of poo poo about the nyt as greenwald/poitras/cook/scahilll did with that recent editorial

Agag posted:

I'm not sure he's joking.

yeah if you want to put it in real terms, its problematic. i think he is joking but where does the joke come from? real prejudice and self-awareness of it. i think its still valuable

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Taibbi is also a piece of poo poo he's just far better about hiding it.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tsinava posted:

Taibbi is also a piece of poo poo he's just far better about hiding it.

how is taibbi a piece of poo poo? hes written some legit great stuff

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
people that are offensive are usually right and full of wisdom. people that are prissy and always super nice and get easily offended are usually super hosed up weirdos that are hiding something

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

TEAYCHES posted:

how is taibbi a piece of poo poo? hes written some legit great stuff

His writing is good. If you're going to tell me he legit didn't know all of the horrendous poo poo Mark Ames did while he helped him write I wouldn't believe you. He also doesn't treat his co-workers that well.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Ames was always a third-rate Soviet-manufacture hunter s. thompson knockoff and betweem them dolan and taibbi form up zord-style to make the most gbs writer of all time

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TEAYCHES posted:

i think its pretty amazing that the intercept put out an article that critical of their parent 'company'.

i liked that they updated it when a fifth member of the staff wanted to poo poo on the mgmt some too

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Poetic Justice posted:

people that are offensive are usually right and full of wisdom. people that are prissy and always super nice and get easily offended are usually super hosed up weirdos that are hiding something

yeah, like Chris Christie, or *spins a wheel of GOP politicians and waits for it to land on a name*

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tsinava posted:

yeah, like Chris Christie.

with a man that size, i dont think he could hide anything!!!!! lol haha

im not talking about politicians, im talking about actual people

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tsinava posted:

His writing is good. If you're going to tell me he legit didn't know all of the horrendous poo poo Mark Ames did while he helped him write I wouldn't believe you. He also doesn't treat his co-workers that well.

the only proof that he doesnt treat his coworkers well is one person who had an issue with his management style. maybe its true, maybe its not. alex pareene made a good post about how that was pretty well bullshit. i think its clear that taibbi had an issue with omidiyar's stupid management style. i work in a job with a lot of metrics and project systems and i imagine omidiyar was attempting to apply that to a radical news magazine and is now eating his own poo poo

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Yes, because journalists should naturally be trusted more than politicians right? They're people!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tsinava posted:

Yes, because journalists should naturally be trusted more than politicians right? They're people!

i trust certain journalists who have a history of acting ethically more than politicians. but yeah if theres proof taibbi was horrible to a female employee he should be crucified

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
who read dolan's book. I ahev read Dolans's book, the one about him growing up as proto-elliot rodger in California, and you should read it because lollll

Tsinava posted:

lol do you ever post anything in any thread that isn't the utter bitchmost possible thing to post

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TEAYCHES posted:

i work in a job with a lot of metrics and project systems and i imagine omidiyar was attempting to apply that to a radical news magazine and is now eating his own poo poo

pierre's a billionaire who's pouring $250m into this and he was making them send him the expense reports for office supplies before approving them :lol:

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
that was directed at the post above yours. i'm still kind of on the fence about him mistreating his coworkers, but is complicity with all the poo poo ames did leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

lol do you ever post anything in any thread that isn't the utter bitchmost possible thing to post
lol do you post anything in any thread that isn't barely coherent angry rambling

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
oh snap kitty's got claws, hope I didn't trigger your internet ptsd

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Joementum posted:

pierre's a billionaire who's pouring $250m into this and he was making them send him the expense reports for office supplies before approving them :lol:

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
clam down please. this thread is about mark ames not your issues w me.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Joementum posted:

welcome to startup culture

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

who read dolan's book. I ahev read Dolans's book, the one about him growing up as proto-elliot rodger in California, and you should read it because lollll

i read dolans book, its basically an autobiography. i thought it was pretty good and it explains a lot. i like the tales of being a horrible security guard

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I really like Taibbi's articles and I really hope he clears up to the nature of his relationship with mark ames one day, because I really like his articles.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Move over Hunter S.!!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I am horrified and traumatised to find that people in overseas gonzo journalism, the go-to field for marginal literates escaping criminal charges in their home country by racking up new ones in a country with a more tolerant police system, tolerate the presence of crazy thrillseeking drug addicts and feel it destroys their fringe rag editorial credibility. I hope you can clear up this ensuing scandal, the one guy who bootstrapped from slumming with depressive junkies in Moscow to a notable writing career

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

unlimited shrimp posted:

Move over Hunter S.!!

taibbi tried to cover the bush/kerry election in 2004 and from all accounts he was pretty close to suicide and didnt have any fun with it at all. you literally cant talk to presidential candidates anymore. thompson and nixon in the limo talking football is 100% impossible now

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
where's that nate thayer article about the guys in his office shooting people that one owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

see the book "spanking the donkey" for a great account of flipping out over being part of john kerry's press core

• Locked thread