Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I never learned to surf but my dad was the type to surf on his lunch break when he was younger. I swear I'm going to make him teach me someday. He always rode a short board, but just like skateboards, the longer the board, the easier it is to ride. So you might want to reconsider the seven footer.

Could you buy your grandson surfing lessons instead? And maybe if he does well, buy him a board next time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Marley Wants More posted:

That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know. Thanks!

The plan was for me to get the board and his mom to get the lessons, but we weren't even sure if he needed lessons.

If one of his parents (or a friend, or whatever) can teach him, that's fine, but if not he'll need lessons. In regards to the OP, yeah, you should get him a leash. The type of wax you get depends on the temperature of the water the board will be used in, so you should try to find out what would be best for his area. In Florida the Atlantic ranges from 50-80 degrees in the winter and summer, respectively; I don't know if it's similar in VA.

about wax

E: according to Wikipedia there is a major surf competition held in Virginia Beach every year, so it seems it's pretty good there.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 30, 2014

• Locked thread