Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Over the last couple of years I've noticed a lot of EVGA complaints but that's obviously an inordinately high rate of failure.

Bieeardo posted:

I've pulled my PSU (an Antec Earthwatts 650, about three years old) and tested it.

How did you test it?

If a PSU has had heavy use it can start damaging components in that 3-5 year time period.

Bieeardo posted:

My knowledge of electrical engineering might fill the tip of a thimble, but is is possible that an aging monitor could send damaging feedback down the DVI cable?

Theoretically possible but extremely unlikely. Usually when an output like monitor/printer/keyboard/mouse fails it'll disrupt normal POST operation. And output failure of that nature is very uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't kept up with high-end video cards recently but is this one that has it's own PSU plug? If so, I'd try another PSU at this point.

• Locked thread