Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

Can't you load up as Germany and just settle it by annexation? That just looks dumb.

I would and I have loaded up as some nations to kick the narrative in the rear end (nothing I've written yet). The problem is that I would need to release Austria as a puppet, kick them from the alliance, and then attack and annex them, with a considerable wait in between. If you've ever let the AI manage your nation, then you know they will gently caress it up given even one day. I would end up with my half done naval construction cancelled and cavalry divisions with police attachments under production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Chief Savage Man posted:

cavalry divisions with police attachments under production.
Sounds like a good way to protect against the counter-revolution

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Sounds like a good way to protect against the counter-revolution

Artillery will do the job well I think.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The internal counter-revolution has been suppressed- if you mean the external part, guns are better.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Potooweet posted:

A lot of countries have events about what you want to do with them after you conquer them, which is fine. Unfortunately, some of them trigger whenever the country is annexed for any reason, even if it doesn't make any sense. "Germany annexes Austria, no wait just kidding" is probably the most prominent example.

Yeah, in the last version as Russia I would never do the second Treaty of Brest-Litovsk because for some reason I kept getting an event afterwards where Germany wanted me to give them back White Ruthenia, which I had just integrated. I just wish there was a way to knock them out of the war entirely after they gently caress off to Africa in the other decisions because they can't do poo poo at that point anyhow.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chief Savage Man posted:

I would and I have loaded up as some nations to kick the narrative in the rear end (nothing I've written yet). The problem is that I would need to release Austria as a puppet, kick them from the alliance, and then attack and annex them, with a considerable wait in between.

Claim their territory and use acceptall to demand their land?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grizzwold posted:

Yeah, in the last version as Russia I would never do the second Treaty of Brest-Litovsk because for some reason I kept getting an event afterwards where Germany wanted me to give them back White Ruthenia, which I had just integrated. I just wish there was a way to knock them out of the war entirely after they gently caress off to Africa in the other decisions because they can't do poo poo at that point anyhow.

I had one game where all of German Africa got occupied, after Germany got kicked out of Europe, but the war never ended because Germany still held 1 or 2 islands in the pacific worth a single VP each.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

In the Grim Darkness of the 2nd Millenium there is Only War.

But seriously, we'll be doing away with the Mytilene VP point next update and I'll work on getting the German Pacific VPs relocated.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Mytilene is the devil, thank you very much. I think the best way to deal with Germanys Pacific Islands is to have either Japan or Australasia or whoever seize them when Germany loses some crucial African provinces. I can't imagine the vultures wouldn't descend in a situation like that.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Chapter Ten: War Plan Red (Early July 1940)

Organizer of Victory
A Biographical Miniseries

WORK IN PROGRESS

Shot of Hall of the People, Chicago. Cut to an ornate conference room with a long mahogany table at its center. The walls are adorned with flags of various syndicates and columns, a flag with the profile of Abraham Lincoln in one corner, one with Benjamin Franklin in another, the CSA flag at the end of the room. Scene opens with the ministers sitting around the table. GITLOW is at the head of the table, MARSHALL at his right side, TRESCA at his left, KELLER, her INTERPRETER, OLSON and THOMAS are seated elsewhere. Other non-speaking ministers fill out the table.

KELLER communicates through her INTERPRETER.

INTERPRETER: The lynchings have subsided to an extent but there are still fundamental concerns that the police forces are ignoring the problem. I would recommend that we identify the biggest problem areas and get our own people in the police departments. Some high profile murder trials should get the message across.

GITLOW sits slouched in his chair, twirling a pencil in his hand and staring down at the table.

GITLOW: That sounds good, Helen, whatever resources you need you'll have. Harry wanted to speak with you about this as well, I'll set up a meeting.

INTERPRETER: Thank you, Chairman.

TRESCA: I don't mean to minimize the lynchings but if we could get on to the New England situation I would appreciate it.

MARSHALL and THOMAS seem to perk up at the mention of New England.

GITLOW: Yes, I agree, that is our most pressing concern right now. Floyd, has the Entente responded?

OLSON rifles through his mess of paperwork and pulls out one piece of paper.

OLSON: Yes, they have. About what we expected, indignation and not much else. Here, if you'd like to read it.

OLSON passes the paper down the table towards GITLOW, who picks it up and squints to read it.

GITLOW: Well, that's hardly polite.

OLSON: No, I think we can safely assume that we've gotten the King and the Governors' Council riled up beyond the point of no return.

GITLOW studies the paper for a second before passing it back to OLSON. He clears his throat.

GITLOW: Norman, do you have the latest force estimates?

THOMAS is impeccably organized and finds the document he is looking for almost instantly.

THOMAS: Yes, I have it right here. Would you like it?

GITLOW: Go ahead and read it to everybody.

THOMAS puts on his glasses and prepares to read. Scene cuts to a Red Army camp, a multiracial group of men sitting around laughing waiting in line at the quartermaster's office. A truck runs in the background.

THOMAS (v.o.): For the sake of reference, here are the latest figures of our own strength. Obviously, these figures are completely accurate. The American Red Army consists of seventy eight divisions, approximately a million men altogether. Of these seventy eight divisions, nine are non-combatant police units, the Revolutionary Marines comprise six divisions, and twelve have been motorized to the standard set forth by General Marshall. The remainder are foot infantry, with an adequate distribution of artillery among all parts of the force.

TRESCA (v.o.): What do our allies bring to the table?

Scene cuts to a heavily fortified bunker, a French soldier mans a machine gun while another peers through binoculars at their German counterparts.

THOMAS (v.o.): The French and Italians have one hundred and fifty divisions between them.

Scene cuts back to the conference room.

OLSON (interjecting): They've made it quite clear that they will not be able to send us ground forces to assist in the fight, in case the Germans decide to act. Naval and air support will depend on the circumstances.

GITLOW grimaces. Scene cuts to an army camp, an American and a Frenchman oversee drills of Mexican soldiers.

THOMAS (v.o.): Mexico has established seven infantry divisions, all to our standards. The Centroamericans have been fairly lax with the OAS standard, only two of their nine divisions measure up. And finally Puerto Rico has one division of cavalry and a small national guard.

Scene cuts to an airfield, the red and black flying atop the control tower. A twin engine bomber is taxiing out of its hangar while a fighter plane takes off.

THOMAS: In the air, we have seventeen air wings, six interceptor units, two multi-role fighter wings, eight wings of twin engine medium bombers and one wing of quad engine strategic bombers. If the French do decide to assist us, we may have some of their twenty six air wings.

Scene cuts to New York Harbor, the CSS New York slowly steams out of port while blaring its horn to the waving crowds on shore.

THOMAS: And on the ocean, we have twelve battleships, one carrier, nine heavy cruisers, two light cruisers, thirteen destroyer groups and enough transport ships for one hundred and twenty thousand men. This force composition is similar to the French fleet, though they also have a sizable submarine fleet.

Scene cuts to Ottawa, the King in Canada and his own advisors contemplate their own map.

MARSHALL: How does this compare to the enemy?

THOMAS: The Royal Army based off our best estimates can field twenty eight divisions, though we aren't quite sure exactly what types of divisions they are. We're confident that there is not a significant amount of armor. Their air force consists of mainly bombers and only a handful of fighters. We are at a disadvantage in terms of fleet strength, unless the French were to assist us with most of their fleet. While their six carriers are a bit out of date, they would still be quite effective against our own battleships.

MARSHALL: I wouldn't be worried about the naval aspect, we do not have any critical supply lines from overseas to deal with and the Royal Navy's ability to intervene in our land battles will be limited.

Scene cuts to the office of Joe Kennedy, who is speaking to dignitaries, one in British military regalia and an Indian in Sikh regalia.

THOMAS: The New English have militarized considerably since their independence, now fielding sixteen divisions and six wings of aircraft, mainly fighters. They are clearly operating with a defensive mindset, hoping to hold the line in New York instead of taking the fight into our own territory.

Scene cuts to show the Golden Gate Bridge, with a Japanese cruiser steaming underneath it.

THOMAS: On the other hand, the Pacific States have taken a more independent route, seeing themselves as a partner of the Canadians instead of a subject. They can field twenty four divisions, ten air wings, split roughly fifty-fifty between bombers and fighters, and they have a decent fleet with three capital ships. Nothing that could compete with our own fleet but if our fleet is neutralized by the Canadians, they could get up to some mischief.

Scene cuts to a Havana bar. Huey Long converses with a Cuban military officer over rum.

THOMAS: And for the sake of completion, we have some information on Cuba. Nothing much to report, five obsolete infantry divisions and a small air force and navy. It's unclear if they have the capability to transport any of their infantry to the mainland. Beyond that, we could not find much credible intelligence regarding the Australasian or Imperial French armies. They could be a wild card if they are able to operate their forces over a long distance.

Scene cuts back to conference room. THOMAS puts away his list of information and the people at the table appear to break out of a stupor.

GITLOW: So if my math skills haven't deteriorated too much, I believe that we're talking about a more or less even strength engagement in terms of land forces.

THOMAS: Roughly, yes.

GITLOW contemplates the table in front of him again for a moment.

GITLOW: That'll be all, comrades. I'll make sure all of you get the relevant information about the Entente situation once I have it.

The table rises and gathers their things.

GITLOW: George, could you stay a moment? I'd like to speak with you.

MARSHALL sits back down as the room clears. KELLER takes a minute longer than the rest of the ministers.

GITLOW: George, how the hell do you do it?

MARSHALL: Do what, Chairman?

GITLOW: Run the Benjamin Franklin Corps. With the French and the unions and the anarchists and the Totalists and the blacks, how do you get everybody on board?

MARSHALL (after a thoughtful pause): Well... when one of my officers has something to say to me, I try to either incorporate their feedback if I find it worthwhile and let them know so, or if it is not worthwhile, I find a way to reject it while finding a positive aspect to compliment them on. My goal is to have everybody walk away feeling like they belong in the room, whether they have solved a major problem or caused one.

GITLOW considers his words and rubs his eyes, slouching even more in his chair.

GITLOW: I wish I had your talent for it, George. I'm not an idiot, I know why I'm here. I was close with Jack and nobody feels threatened by me. I feel like all I do is just tell people more talented than I what to do.

MARSHALL: I don't think you give yourself enough credit. The first leader will be the one most remembered but it is the second leader who has the more uncertain and difficult task. We all knew that the nation would hold together so long as Reed was there to inspire it. But now he's gone, and you're here, and you are wise enough to know that you are not Jack Reed. Now it is a test of if what we built can endure on its own, without the extraordinary influence of a particular individual. Washington may be who we remember, but Adams and Jefferson managed to keep the nation running in one piece. And we may extol the conquests of Alexander, but how long did his empire last after his death? Not very long.

GITLOW: I just sit here and worry that somebody will come and throw me out of here and break down the whole revolution. And I have Tresca telling me that we ought to start the war soon to keep everybody on the same side. It just seems so awfully callous, doesn't it?

MARSHALL: Do you think we can peacefully co-exist with the Canadians?

GITLOW: No.

MARSHALL: Then it is not callous to strike first. It is strategically vital to do so, especially if our domestic stability depends on the decision.

GITLOW sits silently listening to MARSHALL's words.

GITLOW: I suppose you're right. All I can do is try and shepard this thing.

MARSHALL: I think you're more capable than you realize.

GITLOW: Well, George, I didn't ask you here just to listen to my rumination, I'd like you to explain to me exactly how this operation is going to work.

MARSHALL takes a second to organize his papers and clear off the large map of North America in the center of the table.

MARSHALL: Well, it'll start once the New English officially reject our demands. We'll deliver the declaration when dawn breaks over California.

GITLOW: Why wait until then?

MARSHALL: We are dealing with a front of over five thousand miles across five time zones, if we attacked in New York at dawn, the Pacific States would have three hours before dawn to prepare for us then. We'll have to make due with a shorter operating window in the east in order to achieve surprise in the west.

MARSHALL moves to the map while GITLOW stands to look over his shoulder.

MARSHALL: My staff has divided the planning into two general areas, a plan for the Pacific and a plan for the Northeast.

MARSHALL: The Northeast attack will take place mainly along the border with New England, as well as towards Winnipeg from the Midwest. Our motorized units will assault north along the Hudson River Valley. Our hope is that their mobility will allow us to encircle New English forces in the Niagara region. A breakthrough would also allow us to threaten Boston and the St. Lawrence River Valley while infantry holds the line elsewhere.

GITLOW: War Plan Red, huh? I like that.

MARSHALL: It's always been called War Plan Red.

MARSHALL: The Pacific is a bit more complicated because of the mass of territory involved. We have a very long front to deal with in the west.

MARSHALL draws a series of lines on the map.

MARSHALL: These are our defensive positions. We're working on a less than optimal basis here, a lot of police units and even some Centroamerican militias are involved. The three areas of concern are Salt Lake City, which operates as a crucial hub for the Pacific States across Nevada and Utah, California, the importance of which is obvious and the Vancouver/Seattle area, which has been a major point of entry for Japanese arms and Australasian minerals. Our hope is that we'll be able to make progress and disrupt the enemy's ability to respond while our rapid attack plays out in the east.

MARSHALL: In addition to those two, we have also planned for an amphibious invasion of Cuba, to remove it as a threat to the Gulf Coast.

GITLOW seems less concerned than he was earlier.

GITLOW: Could you go into detail about the planned movements? I'm sorry to keep bugging you but it will help me sleep better if I have an idea of what's going on.

MARSHALL: Not at all.

MARSHALL grabs a pencil and drags the eraser across the map to indicate movements. The camera cuts to a rustic scene where an artillery crew fires a howitzer towards an unknown target, with a snow capped mountain in the background.

MARSHALL (voiceover): We have stationed six divisions in Alaska and tasked them with moving south along the British Columbia coast towards Vancouver.

Scene cuts to a tropical beach where a landing ship crashes onto the beach. Two marines open the door and rush out, weapons drawn. The flashes of cannon fire can be seen from a silhouette of a battleship in the distance.

MARSHALL (v.o.): The invasion of Cuba will commence on the southern side of the island, as our intelligence indicates that the northern side is more fortified. The geography of the island means that it will be easy to bisect the country and surround Havana quickly.

Cut to another tropical scene. A Canadian flag flies above a barbed wire fence with a sign labeled YOU ARE ENTERING PANAMA CANAL ZONE hanging on the fence. Centroamerican soldiers begin to tear down the fence.

MARSHALL (v.o.): The Centroamericans have massed their units in Panama, ready to occupy the Panama Canal as soon as the declaration is delivered. With the Panama Canal in their hands, we'll be able to cut off the Canadians on either side of the continent from each other.

Cut to a wide open prairie. A soldier peers through binoculars across the rippling crops. He spots a truck through the binoculars, an anti-tank gun fires and the truck explodes in the distance.

MARSHALL (v.o.): In order to truly bisect Canada, we will also need to capture Winnipeg, which serves as the rail hub between Ontario and British Columbia.

Cut to a dense and hilly forest. A fire team walks cautiously through the woods until gunfire erupts from the trees, sending everybody to the ground.

MARSHALL (v.o.): From our salient in Montana, we will make a push towards Seattle by way of Spokane. If this attack fails, then the attack from Alaska will be able to move on Seattle from the north.

Cut to an arid landscape covered in brush. A column of men march slowly down the road underneath the 'big sky'.

MARSHALL (v.o.): Haywood will lead the attack into Utah. He should be able to overcome the resistance fairly easily, though there are some rivers in the area that would provide a good fallback defensive position.

Cut to a group of Mexican soldiers, the sun rising in the east. They sneak up to a wall labeled "PACIFIC STATES OF AMERICA - NO ENTRY" and plant dynamite along a section of it. The dynamite ignites and a group of Mexicans rush through the breach, firing upon the Pacific border guards.

MARSHALL (v.o.): I will lead the Benjamin Franklin Corps out of Phoenix and supported by the Mexicans coming up from Baja California, we will assault San Diego and attempt to secure Los Angeles as well.

MARSHALL (v.o.): All in all, we have about four hundred thousand men involved in the Pacific theater.

Cut to a shot of Manhattan, the camera pans to the other side of the river, where trucks drive rapidly on a riverside road.

MARSHALL (v.o.): The crux of the plan involves the Hudson River Valley. We are concentrating our rapid assets in New Jersey and New York City.

Cut to a shot of two twin-engine bombers flying in formation high above New York. The bomb bay doors open and the camera cuts to the bombsight, where we see the bombs hitting tents and trucks below.

MARSHALL (v.o.): We'll also put our air assets to use in this attack, since its breakthrough is the most important.

The camera pans again to show a wing of fighters flying alongside the bombers.

MARSHALL (v.o.): We'll also use our fighter assets in this area, because we are certain that the Canadians will concentrate on this area to protect their capital.

Cut to a wing of fighters flying above Niagara Falls.

MARSHALL (v.o.): We'll also begin with patrols above the Great Lakes and Toronto, if only to put some fear into the citizens.

The planes come under attack by enemy planes, one of the CSA planes crashes into the falls when its wing is shot off.

MARSHALL (v.o.): Truth be told, I am not certain we have the strength to overcome their aerial advantage. Either way, I don't think they have the proper mindset to use their bombers effectively.

Camera cuts back to Hudson River Valley, trucks driving north on paved roads.

MARSHALL (v.o.): It all comes down to the Hudson River Valley. Either we break through there or we get bogged down in a war of attrition.

Cut back to conference room.

GITLOW: Do you think this is going to work?

MARSHALL: I think so.

GITLOW takes a moment to take in the intricate plans in front of him before looking up at MARSHALL and smiling.

GITLOW: I can see why Jack had faith in you. That'll be all, George.

MARSHALL packs up his things and shakes GITLOW's hand.

MARSHALL: Get some sleep, Chairman, it'll be a long few weeks.

End scene.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I liked the touch of Huey Long meeting people at the bar.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's like the setup for a heist movie, except it's war.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

JT Jag posted:

I didn't read it that way before, but damnit if I'm not picturing some Vegas lounge music in the background while Brad Pitt and George Clooney take turns narrating how this war is gonna be fought out.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

We're gonna go lift the entire city of Boston, with San Francisco as a bonus.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This is such a well-written LP.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TildeATH posted:

This is such a well-written LP.

:agreed:

And now I'm listening to Vegas lounge music.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Drone posted:

I didn't read it that way before, but damnit if I'm not picturing some Vegas lounge music in the background while Brad Pitt and George Clooney take turns narrating how this war is gonna be fought out.

I'm the same now, though I'm picturing Ezri Dax and Julian Bashir.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mister Adequate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_6BVz0Gnk

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

On that topic, you gotta wonder what Star Trek could look like in this timeline. Exactly the same but considered a rather conservative view of a syndicalist future?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

On that topic, you gotta wonder what Star Trek could look like in this timeline. Exactly the same but considered a rather conservative view of a syndicalist future?

More militant Starfleet dedicated to defending the Federation and bringing the light of equality and socialism to the galaxy. Ferengi are powered up by joining forces with the gengineered super-soldiers of the arch-Capitalist Khan, and the android infiltrators of the mad Imperialist Dr. Nunyen Soong.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Too much TNG era. Their foes are the Klingon Republic, a corrupt, warlord-ridden power bent on expanding into the sectors the Empire that proceeded it controlled, and the Romulan Celestial Empire, an aeons old monarchy which views galactic conquest as its manifest destiny.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Kirk is the only human on board the Enterprise, he leads a diverse crew of aliens who hail from all across the Federation. He only keeps his command as long as he has the support of his crew, and with the approval of Science/Political officer Mr. Spock.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Kirk is the only human on board the Enterprise, he leads a diverse crew of aliens who hail from all across the Federation. He only keeps his command as long as he has the support of his crew, and with the approval of Science/Political officer Mr. Spock.

We're trying to craft a positive future, dammit!

There are humans, but there all from different parts of America, generations after the civil war when all the bad blood has disappeared. Kirk's from the CSA, McCoy's from the AUS, Sulu's from the PSA, and, uh, I guess Spock's mom is from New England? For the loyalists states, I guess the transporter officer is now Boomhauer I give up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

We're trying to craft a positive future, dammit!

There are humans, but there all from different parts of America, generations after the civil war when all the bad blood has disappeared. Kirk's from the CSA, McCoy's from the AUS, Sulu's from the PSA, and, uh, I guess Spock's mom is from New England? For the loyalists states, I guess the transporter officer is now Boomhauer I give up.

My version of Spock and Kirk are still best friends because they respect each other, love exploring the galaxy, and are deeply committed to battling tyranny and uplifting the workers on every planet and in every culture.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
The TV show is the Culture guys, come on. The Star Trek stories that we love exist as the novels of a slightly odd ball Scottish author, respected, but politically conservative.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
This universe's Star Trek is the Mirror Universe

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Looks like you'll all need to stay tuned for Act Fourteen: Syndicalists... IN SPACE!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Star Wars in this universe is radically different from the one that we know, but oddly enough Spaceballs is exactly the same.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's probably a bad sign that whenever I look at the Tuareg uprising all I see is an expanded role for the Sand People in Star Wars. Also Wedge Antilles is a main character and is based off of von Richthofen.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Because of this LP I've been trying to play a CSA game of my own, and I just can't seem to win. Even reloading from the beginning of the civil war until I get infantry from France, Britain, Mexico and Italy the AUS seems to steamroll me to at least a stalemate until the PSA and Mexico peace out and the US finishes the job. Anyone have any advice for achieving a glorious socialist victory? I'm a beginner at this game but have an OK grasp of the mechanics, I think.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Moon Slayer posted:

Because of this LP I've been trying to play a CSA game of my own, and I just can't seem to win. Even reloading from the beginning of the civil war until I get infantry from France, Britain, Mexico and Italy the AUS seems to steamroll me to at least a stalemate until the PSA and Mexico peace out and the US finishes the job. Anyone have any advice for achieving a glorious socialist victory? I'm a beginner at this game but have an OK grasp of the mechanics, I think.

Isolating and destroying the US pocket around Washington is important. If you get the deal-with-the-devil event to make peace with the AUS until the federals are defeated, definitely consider taking it. Build lots of militia, you need the quick build times and just bulk of manpower to fill the front lines. Focus on capturing airbase provinces and you'll quite likely capture the entire enemy air forces.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I just realised during this conversation that New Hope's release was closer to World War II than now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Moon Slayer posted:

Spam militia and nothing else. You need sheer manpower, quickly, and the workers will provide.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Spam militia and nothing else. You need sheer manpower, quickly, and the workers will provide.

If you adjust those production sliders on the economy screen can you speed up unit creation? Because I do just make militia but the earliest they can be ready is usually that's two or three months too late.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

If you adjust those production sliders on the economy screen can you speed up unit creation? Because I do just make militia but the earliest they can be ready is usually that's two or three months too late.

You can't speed up, but if they don't have the full IC allocation you need they'll go slower. The thing is, you have to survive those first three months. Part of this depends on when the civil war gets triggered. If it's right after the elections, it's already December and you've got an entire winter to hold the line in icy terrain that favors the defender. If it's in spring, it'll be harder, but it's still doable. You need to micromanage your bombers: you have very few, so they must always be hitting the #1 most dangerous enemy division. This is super important. There will be many, many times where a lone militia division is facing two or even three infantry divisions, and the only way you can delay that fight long enough to do something about it is if your bombers are hammering the enemy ORG nonstop. They're pretty ineffective at night early war, but that's okay because night battles massively favor the defender until you get the right tech.

Another thing: you probably won't be able to hold all of the territory you'll acquire in the initial scramble - that's okay. Try to push as close to DC as you can get, and if they counterattack, that area has lots of good rivers and mountain rangers to make your defensive line. You can also defend along the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. If they start to overwhelm you, shorten your defensive lines. If it gets especially bad you may need to abandon NYC or even all of Pennsylvania; in the absolute worst case, you can turtle in a line from Chicago to Detroit. I'm pretty sure the CSA has the best IC, so time is on your side. Those first three months can be agonizing, but you can do it if you stick with it. Hold the line, comrade!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Like in the beginning of this game, you get a couple free divisions if you take Minneapolis and St. Louis. Otherwise I don't think the west matters much until you take Washington.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Fun fact, if Reed wins the election the CSA starts with Washington. It's not a core, but it denies the feds like 13 IC or so so it's still a plus.

In semi-related news, the CSA won the civil war in my Russia game, but went totalist and then got stomped by Canada somehow.
Also does anyone have another link for the KR unit cards? Mediafire's not working for me.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

James Garfield posted:

Like in the beginning of this game, you get a couple free divisions if you take Minneapolis and St. Louis. Otherwise I don't think the west matters much until you take Washington.

These three and especially the infantry divisions from Europe make all the difference in the world. One test game I never got to STL and only the French sent men and I got steamrolled by the USA while barely holding the line against the AUS.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grizzwold posted:

Also does anyone have another link for the KR unit cards? Mediafire's not working for me.

Reuploaded it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

You can't speed up, but if they don't have the full IC allocation you need they'll go slower. The thing is, you have to survive those first three months. Part of this depends on when the civil war gets triggered. If it's right after the elections, it's already December and you've got an entire winter to hold the line in icy terrain that favors the defender. If it's in spring, it'll be harder, but it's still doable. You need to micromanage your bombers: you have very few, so they must always be hitting the #1 most dangerous enemy division. This is super important. There will be many, many times where a lone militia division is facing two or even three infantry divisions, and the only way you can delay that fight long enough to do something about it is if your bombers are hammering the enemy ORG nonstop. They're pretty ineffective at night early war, but that's okay because night battles massively favor the defender until you get the right tech.

Another thing: you probably won't be able to hold all of the territory you'll acquire in the initial scramble - that's okay. Try to push as close to DC as you can get, and if they counterattack, that area has lots of good rivers and mountain rangers to make your defensive line. You can also defend along the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. If they start to overwhelm you, shorten your defensive lines. If it gets especially bad you may need to abandon NYC or even all of Pennsylvania; in the absolute worst case, you can turtle in a line from Chicago to Detroit. I'm pretty sure the CSA has the best IC, so time is on your side. Those first three months can be agonizing, but you can do it if you stick with it. Hold the line, comrade!

James Garfield posted:

Chief Savage Man posted:

These three and especially the infantry divisions from Europe make all the difference in the world. One test game I never got to STL and only the French sent men and I got steamrolled by the USA while barely holding the line against the AUS.

Good advice, thanks! I'll keep at it until all of North America is painted red.