Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wait, how is this guy the bad guy?

Yeah that was my reaction too. I'm baffled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Cold War brought out The Stupid in a lot of people.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wait, how is this guy the bad guy?

Going by wikipedia, mainly cause it seems he still works by propaganda of the deed, ie different types of terrorism

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
He's of that archetype that's more of a philosophical rival/antagonist to the hero who isn't above working with him against a greater evil than an "irredeemably evil supervillain", although he's often been a dupe for the Red Skull (see also the original series Star Trek episode where a well-meaning pacifist movement prior to WW2 causes the Nazis to win because they just don't get it). I vaguely remember Cap's reaction being along the lines of "well I don't begrudge your political opinions, but you can't take airliners full of people hostage."

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Mention comics, goons start getting all frothy about comic book characters :allears:

So, does this mean the Entente is now full scale war with the Internationale? What's Mitteleuropa going to be doing?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Effectronica posted:

Cap wouldn't exist because he's almost purely a response to Nazi ideology and there are no equivalent racialized ideologies that are relevant in KR. Maybe Cap could exist if the AUS is much more overtly Klannish than it seems from the events, but he'd be different in fairly interesting ways.

Alternately,

"Combined Syndicates!"
"American Union!"
"New England!"
"Pacifica!"
"Heartlands!"

"By you powers combined, I am... Captain America!"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

AJ_Impy posted:

Alternately,

"Combined Syndicates!"
"American Union!"
"New England!"
"Pacifica!"
"Heartlands!"

"By you powers combined, I am... Captain America!"

Captain America he's our hero!
gonna take plutocrats down to zero
he's our powers magnified
and he's fighting on the people's side!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Syndie cap would be an internationalist, so he'd be Captain Americas, incorporating central and south America too. Once they're all united under the syndintern banner, that is.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 19, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

Mention comics, goons start getting all frothy about comic book characters :allears:

So, does this mean the Entente is now full scale war with the Internationale? What's Mitteleuropa going to be doing?

Yeah, we're in full scale war with the Entente. We came close to war with Mitteleuropa in 39 but the French elected not to attack.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chief Savage Man posted:

Yeah, we're in full scale war with the Entente. We came close to war with Mitteleuropa in 39 but the French elected not to attack.

This is fine. The Entente is generally the weakest of the three alliance blocs, so saving Mitteleuropa for later probably means slightly more challenge once we finally get around to taking on Germany.

That is, if AI Germany does what it normally does in my games and rolls right over Europe, making it unassailable from without.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had one game where Russia joined the Entente, the Internationale declared war on Mitteleuropa, and the Entente, when given the option to declare war on the Internationale...decided to declare war on Mitteleuropa instead, so you had WW2 playing out almost exactly the same way it did in OTL, just with the politics switched up a bit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The weirdest thing is I don't think there are any events that support a war after 39, so the Entente might never fight the International or no one might fight anyone if they aren't triggered.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

The weirdest thing is I don't think there are any events that support a war after 39, so the Entente might never fight the International or no one might fight anyone if they aren't triggered.

I'm fairly certain there's a German event which basically forces the war in 1941, assuming it hasn't already happened. Does anyone else think the French justification for the war is incredibly weak? Going to war over Alsace-Lorraine is barely justifiable for the Sorelians. I think German repression of the FAUD and French meddling in the Rhineland would make more sense.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alsace-Lorraine or war does seem pretty forced IMO. It's obviously meant to parallel the vanilla Danzig or War event that's been in every HoI game as far as I know, but the situation is pretty different. By this point it's been around seventy years since Alsace-Lorraine were part of France, why would the French government just spontaneously decide "hey now seems like a good time to push our luck"? I think it would make more sense to have the spark that starts the war be a dramatic international incident, like maybe some FAUD people get shot on camera* trying to escape to France and the French government puts it into newsreels. Basically something with immediacy, which drives the French government towards war out of honor, solidarity, or just plain anger, despite the better judgement of some of the leadership. Alsace-Lorraine ought to be viewed as one of the ultimate causes of the war, not the proximate cause.

*This exact idea wouldn't work because it's anachronistic, but something like it would be good, I think.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
There are people on the Kaiserreich forum who want there to be an option for France to focus on building syndicalism and peacefully demonstrating its value to other countries without going to war with their neighbors. Lol

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kellsterik posted:

There are people on the Kaiserreich forum who want there to be an option for France to focus on building syndicalism and peacefully demonstrating its value to other countries without going to war with their neighbors. Lol

I don't think they understand how this game works.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think a good old "inevitable escalation after some shells a border town" event would be a good way to force the war.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Kellsterik posted:

I'd love it (not because I want it, but because it'd be funny) if there was some sort of abdication of the responsibility of being "the one that starts it". France can choose to give it to Britain, who can start the war over Denmark or something stupid like that, and Britain can give it away to South Italy, who then attacks North Italy, Switzerland and Austria at the same time because Italia Irredenta motherfucker. If South Italy is human controlled and elects not to start the war, then Mussolini pulls a MacArthur, coups and starts it anyway.

Basically, what I think Kaiserreich really lacks in comparison with vanilla is Italians loving things up for their allies.

EDIT: Oh god, I just remembered something! Chief Savage Man, I have something that you absolutely need to play for a side thing:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?641275-Kaiserreich-hellenic-expansion

This is the craziest god drat poo poo.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 19, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paragon1 posted:

I think a good old "inevitable escalation after some shells a border town" event would be a good way to force the war.

Or just rewrite the ambassador gets ganked event and make it the triggering cause.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TheMcD posted:

This is the craziest god drat poo poo.

Not a greek nationalist posted:

Are you ready to lead a nation ,with 10,000 years of history on its back ,once again to glory after 500 years?

Uuh...

Wikipedia posted:

The Neolithic Revolution reached Europe by way of Greece and the Balkans, beginning in the 7th millennium BC.[citation needed] Some Neolithic communities in southeastern Europe, such as Sesklo in Greece, were living in heavily fortified settlements of 3,000–4,000 people.

Huh. Well, I guess he's right. There isn't much history from the first 3000 years or so, but I suppose it counts.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 19, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Huh. Well, I guess he's right. There isn't much history from the first 3000 years or so, but I suppose it counts.

Not sure that he actually knew about that and didn't just go with something really old because "ancient Greece stronk".

I think I only need to show one thing to make it painfully clear just what level of insanity we're dealing with here.

Hellenic Orthodox Danubian Federation.

Hellenic. Orthodox. Danubian loving Federation.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
How about instead of ALoW, there's a Wallonian revolution supported by the French in late 1939? The Germans move in troops and when they try to prevent French volunteers from crossing the border, the two armies clash and that escalates into war. Seems more thematically appropriate.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Having poo poo go down in continents besides Europe should also have a chance to trigger war, much like the CSA and Canada getting into a fight can for the Internationale and the Entente.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

How about instead of ALoW, there's a Wallonian revolution supported by the French in late 1939? The Germans move in troops and when they try to prevent French volunteers from crossing the border, the two armies clash and that escalates into war. Seems more thematically appropriate.

Flanders-Wallonia has nothing happening for it anyway, sounds good. I'd keep the Swiss thing as a Totalist-only deal.

TheMcD posted:

Basically, what I think Kaiserreich really lacks in comparison with vanilla is Italians loving things up for their allies.

The SRI is a giant liability as it is, it doesn't need to make things any worse for the French. :v: Besides dragging Austro-Hungary into it would be a death sentence.

TheMcD posted:

:wtc: Okay Chief you have to play this, maybe as an epilogue.

EDIT:

paragon1 posted:

Having poo poo go down in continents besides Europe should also have a chance to trigger war, much like the CSA and Canada getting into a fight can for the Internationale and the Entente.

Where would that trigger an International-Mitteleuropa showdown, though? Mittelafrika?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

EDIT:

Where would that trigger an International-Mitteleuropa showdown, though? Mittelafrika?

Some damned foolish thing in the Balkans.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Some damned foolish thing in the Balkans.

There is, no poo poo, an event chain where Serbia can ask Russia for help against an Austro-Hungarian invasion. The best part is that unless Germany joins the war, the Russians literally cannot reach them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kavak posted:

Flanders-Wallonia has nothing happening for it anyway, sounds good. I'd keep the Swiss thing as a Totalist-only deal.

The SRI is a giant liability as it is, it doesn't need to make things any worse for the French. :v: Besides dragging Austro-Hungary into it would be a death sentence.

:wtc: Okay Chief you have to play this, maybe as an epilogue.

EDIT:

Could be that. Maybe something in Southeast Asia?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Southeast Asia doesn't kick off until after Bhartiya wins in India, and I don't know if Germany would start a war over a colony they seized from the French.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Konoe Fumimaro up to anything in KR Japan? I don't see why he wouldn't be the head of the house of peers, as he was in OTL. His writings are probably specifically anti-German in KR, but otherwise he seems like he'd be in a fairly similar position. He seems like he should be doing something at least, considering his immense popularity and prestige among the populace. Plus he's a Fujiwara, and a Fujiwara in government in the 20th century is just magical.

He could be the front man for some aristocratic dominance of the government, as a rejection of both the parties and the military. I guess like the aristocratic democracy route Russia gets. Or he could lead a Nat-Pop mass party into power, as the army wanted him to in OTL, which could present a different way for Japan to go full nat-pop. Or maybe he became Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal, as he tried and failed to become in OTL, to give him a role that keeps him out of the spot light.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kavak posted:

Southeast Asia doesn't kick off until after Bhartiya wins in India, and I don't know if Germany would start a war over a colony they seized from the French.

Sure they would! Those perfidious syndicalists are trying to dismantle the German Empire and get their colonies back!

Makes as much sense as France starting the war over land they lost 70 years ago.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Sure they would! Those perfidious syndicalists are trying to dismantle the German Empire and get their colonies back!

Makes as much sense as France starting the war over land they lost 70 years ago.

True enough, but it still wouldn't be a thing until Bhartiya's won India, which probably won't happen until war's already started. And again, there's land France lost 20 years ago along with it.

As for Konoe, he's in the minister list, but not in the events. I'll bring him up over on the forums- Lord Keeper sounds good if we don't really overhaul Japan domestically.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The main reason he didn't get the Lord Keeper job in real life was the court thought he was too friendly with the army, which might not be the case in this timeline.

Though if the election events for Japan ever do get expanded to include options outside the main two parties, the Social Mass(es) Party are probably the one most easily justified.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Not sure that he actually knew about that and didn't just go with something really old because "ancient Greece stronk".

I think I only need to show one thing to make it painfully clear just what level of insanity we're dealing with here.

Well...

That's different.

I want to know more :allears:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kavak posted:

True enough, but it still wouldn't be a thing until Bhartiya's won India, which probably won't happen until war's already started. And again, there's land France lost 20 years ago along with it.

As for Konoe, he's in the minister list, but not in the events. I'll bring him up over on the forums- Lord Keeper sounds good if we don't really overhaul Japan domestically.

Wait, I thought we had a bunch of revolutions happen in this game in like Vietnam and stuff.

Are they not communists?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Uncle Ho gets a bunch of dudes together for anti-German operations in Indochina, and he operates out of Calcutta. Thing is, they don't want to get things started over there until Delhi and the Princely Federation are dealt with, otherwise they'd get crushed by three different invaders.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GSD posted:

Is Konoe Fumimaro up to anything in KR Japan? I don't see why he wouldn't be the head of the house of peers, as he was in OTL. His writings are probably specifically anti-German in KR, but otherwise he seems like he'd be in a fairly similar position. He seems like he should be doing something at least, considering his immense popularity and prestige among the populace. Plus he's a Fujiwara, and a Fujiwara in government in the 20th century is just magical.

He could be the front man for some aristocratic dominance of the government, as a rejection of both the parties and the military. I guess like the aristocratic democracy route Russia gets. Or he could lead a Nat-Pop mass party into power, as the army wanted him to in OTL, which could present a different way for Japan to go full nat-pop. Or maybe he became Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal, as he tried and failed to become in OTL, to give him a role that keeps him out of the spot light.

Fumimaro should really be the head of a Totalist Japan given his inclinations towards fascism and Bolshevism in history, and the JCP likely being even more liberal than in OTL due to the differences between the Comintern and Syndintern.

But if you want Fujiwaras, Kinmochi Saionji and his grandson Kinkazu Saionji are sitting right there to lead a liberal-oriented Japan.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

rakovsky maybe posted:

I'm fairly certain there's a German event which basically forces the war in 1941, assuming it hasn't already happened. Does anyone else think the French justification for the war is incredibly weak? Going to war over Alsace-Lorraine is barely justifiable for the Sorelians. I think German repression of the FAUD and French meddling in the Rhineland would make more sense.

I think I have an ongoing game as the Republic of China where it's reached 1942 with no war between totalist France and Germany.

Compared to all the other war events, the Internationale-Mitteleuropa war that's always over either Romandy or Alsace-Lorraine and nearly always features the Entente on some indeterminate side seems a bit limited. There are so many ways for Brazil to go, and they have a pretty reliable war with La Plata.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Chapter Fifteen: Spirit of Madison (Late July-Late August 1940)

Journal entry, purportedly by Robert Lewis, AKA 'the Buffalo Butcher'. Possibly a forgery.

They're finally letting us advance, thank loving Christ. First artillery crewman I find, he's done for. Four weeks of this poo poo. I hope we're getting close to the end. I need it to be close to the end. I can't take this for much longer.

I don't belong here. I should be in New York, cutting traitor necks. Who was it in Erie that told the commander about the list? Why do they even care? Why are any of the monsters on that list worthy of salvation? If I ever find out who it is, they're on the list too.

Why can't I go home? I explained to the commander what had happened in Buffalo, what they'd done to me. "No reprisals." he said. Idiot. Coward. Take your pick. I'm a loving soldier, not a priest. I can kill the sons of people I've never met, if I make a tiny error in calculation, I could send a shell into some child's bedroom and thats just an acceptable cost. But if I kill the people who took everything from me, then I'm a monster. What kind of hosed up logic is that?

Why here? Why Detroit? It could have been anywhere else. Why not California? Why not the Marines in Cuba? Why not in one of those fancy truck brigades they won't ever shut up about? The radio squawks about how quick its going in Vermont. 'Lightning quick advance!' They make it sound so glorious for the audience.

They couldn't report what actually goes on up here. I get to peer through binoculars for days on end, waiting for a Canadian to snipe my dick off when I go to take a piss. Nobody would sign up if they reported that, would they? They say it's almost over, and believing them sounds more appealing every day, even if I know I can't trust half the poo poo that comes out of that infernal box.

I already see the signs. I heard the dirty word on the radio yesterday. 'Reconciliation.' What do you think the Canadians would do if the shoe was on the other foot? If they were in our cities? How many would they do like they did her? Too many.

The box says Buffalo is the only traitor stronghold left. Boston is ours, Burlington is ours, Albany is ours. If we get Buffalo, they're done and Canada stands alone. Buffalo. Home. I want to go home. I need to go home. To what's left of it at least. They're not going to let me though. Because they have the list. They know what I'll do if given half a chance.

Will it be the mayor? The police chief? Which murderer will it be? Which one will sell my stolen city back to its rightful owners in exchange for absolution? They did it in Atlanta and Denver, so easy to pretend that these men have no blood on their hands, stab them in the chest with red pins and try to pass them off as worthy of breath.

This time won't be any different. The government doesn't care about justice. They only want peace. One of the rotten fucks will raise the white flag, engage in the usual pretense, shake hands with the guy he was trying to kill last week, and lay down arms. Then that'll be it. They'll walk free. For now.

There is no treaty or pardon or amnesty that can wash away the sins of November 15th, 1936. Only blood can redeem my city. They're not going to get away with what they did. The hangman might have worn Royal insignia, but it is the Judases in my city who are truly responsible, the men I used to call countrymen, a few of them even friends. I promise I will make it back to Buffalo and I will check off every name on the list. One way or another. I owe my baby girl that much. And if something happens to me before justice is served, then at least I'll get to see her again. That would be nice.

---------------------------

quote:

TO: NORTHEAST COMMAND MANHATTAN

THE DEAL IS DONE. THE NEW ENGLISH ARE STANDING DOWN. WE EXPECT SOME HARDLINERS AND ESPECIALLY THE EMBEDDED CANADIANS TO FIGHT ON. TRY TO KEEP THEM FROM ESCAPING TO CANADA.

quote:

TO: CENTRAL COMMAND CHICAGO

UNDERSTOOD. THE CANADIANS HAVE RETAKEN SYRACUSE BUT THEIR SITUATION IS DIRE AND THEY CAN ONLY FERRY LIMITED SUPPLIES ACROSS LAKE ONTARIO. THEYRE DONE FOR.

quote:

TO: LAW

THE NEW ENGLISH ARE FINISHED. YOUR FLANKS ARE SECURE AND YOU ARE FREE TO ADVANCE ON OTTAWA.

quote:

TO: DART

BUFFALO IS SECURE. ADVANCE TOWARDS TORONTO WITH ALL POSSIBLE SPEED.

quote:

TO: BROWN

LAW HAS YOUR SOUTHERN FLANK COVERED. YOU HAVE YOUR THREE OBJECTIVES. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

quote:

TO: LAW

DART HAS CREATED AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU. MOVE TOWARDS LAKE HURON AND YOUR TWO FORCES SHOULD BE ABLE TO NEUTRALIZE THE REMAINDER OF THE CANADIAN FORCES IN ONTARIO.

quote:

TO: NORTHEAST COMMAND MANHATTAN

GREETINGS FROM HALIFAX.

quote:

TO: ALL COMMANDERS

YOU HAVE MY CONGRATULATIONS AND GRATITUDE COMRADES. WE ARE THE FIRST THEATER TO ACCOMPLISH ALL OF OUR WAR PLAN RED OBJECTIVES. THE ENTIRE WORLD WATCHED IN FEAR OR AWE AS YOU ALL HELPED PIONEER A NEW BRAND OF WARFARE. OUR LIGHTNING QUICK ADVANCE STUNNED THE ENEMY. THEY COULD NOT RESPOND TO OUR SUPERIOR TACTICS AND SO WE WON A TREMENDOUS VICTORY WITH LESS LOSSES THAN ANTICIPATED. MOST OF YOU WILL BE GOING HOME SOON. SOME OF YOU WILL BE CALLED UPON TO KEEP THE FEW REMAINING CANADIANS IN THE EAST ON THEIR HEELS. BUT FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES AND AS FAR AS WE ARE CONCERNED THIS WAR IS OVER. IM SURE WELL BE DOING THIS ALL AGAIN SOON ENOUGH.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This leaves, what, Vancouver for the Canadians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

:canada:

Farewell to moderation.