Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The Veterans' Committee ballot was announced for the year so here's a Baseball Hall of Fame thread!

This is the "Golden Era" which means guys who were active between 1947 and 1972.

VC Ballot: Dick Allen, Ken Boyer, Gil Hodges, Bob Howsam, Jim Kaat, Minnie Minoso, Tony Oliva, Billy Pierce, Luis Tiant and Maury Wills.

VC Committee: Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith, Don Sutton, Jim Frey, David Glass, Roland Hemond, Bob Watson, Steve Hirdt, Dick Kaegel, Phil Pepe, and Tracy Ringolsby.

The announcement that none of these guys got in will be made at the end of the Winter Meetings in December.

BBWAA vote tracker for the regular Hall of Fame bit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqc4QTMoPrdtdDQxaDYzd1lLOGpOdUdrcnNNNWNXa2c&usp=sharing&authkey=CPyuwqIJ

leokitty fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Quick and Dirty Veterans Committee Info!!

For a long time the Veterans Committee was run by Frankie Frisch and he liked to push for his buddies to get in, and lo some terrible selections were made. Since that time there have been a lot of major revisions to the committee with a complete overhaul in 2001. It's been tweaked several times since then but without that level of shakeup.

Since 2010 the way selection for the ballot has worked is a bunch of BBWAA members on the historical committee come together and decide who's on it for the defined era whose turn has come up. These eras are:

Pre-Integration Era (1871–1946)
Golden Era (1947–1972)
Expansion Era (1973 and later)

The Historical Overview Committee that came up with this year's ballot is Dave Van Dyck (Chicago Tribune), Bob Elliott (Toronto Sun), Rick Hummel (St. Louis Post-Dispatch), Hirdt (Elias Sports Bureau), Bill Madden (New York Daily News), Ken Nigro (formerly Baltimore Sun), Jack O’Connell (BBWAA secretary/treasurer), Ringolsby (FSN Rocky Mountain), Glenn Schwarz (formerly San Francisco Chronicle), Claire Smith (ESPN), and Mark Whicker (Orange County Register).

There is one single ballot that is voted on that includes umpires, executives, players, etc. To be elected through the VC folks on the ballot must receive 75% of the votes.

leokitty fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 30, 2014

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

To be on the Baseball Hall of Fame ballot a player must have played 10 full years in MLB and be inactive for five years. Almost everyone who meets that criteria finds themselves on the ballot, it's kind of a "You did good, kid!" nod.

The voting is done by members of the BBWAA who were once active members for five years in a row. They may not have covered baseball in 40 years but once they are eligible to vote they are always eligible.

Dan LeBatard lost his hall vote for selling it to Deadspin, Jay Mariotti still has his even though he did a much worse thing with his vote than LeBatard (submitted a blank ballot for trolling purposes).

Eligible voters can select up to 10 players on their ballot, which is why we have entered a clusterfuck zone that will not end for quite some time.

To get into the Hall a player must receive 75% of the vote. Players used to stick around for 15 years, but this year the BBWAA made a (terrible) rule change that it is now 10 years. The reason this is terrible is that fucks over a lot of players on these doom ballots since the start of players from baseball's second renaissance have started becoming eligible. Combined with the 10 vote limit, dudes like Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling are probably screwed.

Dudes past those first 10 still get the full 15, so we've got a few more Lee Smith hangs on the ballot years.

leokitty fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 30, 2014

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This is the year an Astro gets in! I just know it!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Biggio is 99.999% to get in so yeah.

Bagwell isn't going to get in this year though :negative:

leo: So if this is someone's 10th year it's his last chance, but if it's his 11th he gets 4 more shots?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 30, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I guess Jim Kaat is Jamie Moyer's best chance of getting in eventually or something?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

leo: So if this is someone's 10th year it's his last chance, but if it's his 11th he gets 4 more shots?

That's my understanding. Tim Raines will get 10 years instead of 15. I forgot about that until typing this right now and I'm all :supaburn: again.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
What time is the Bumgarner acceptance speech?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

tadashi posted:

I guess Jim Kaat is Jamie Moyer's best chance of getting in eventually or something?
Well Jim Kaat also won about 47 Gold Gloves so he has that claim to fame he can use to argue his case. However, the only reason why he even got close to 300 wins (obviously people argue that as a point in his favor as well) was because he kept pitching for 7-8 years after he stopped being a useful starter.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm excited to once again get mad about something all of us here can unite about rather than dividing us.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

leokitty posted:

The Veterans' Committee ballot was announced for the year so here's a Baseball Hall of Fame thread!

This is the "Golden Era" which means guys who were active between 1947 and 1972.

VC Ballot: Dick Allen, Ken Boyer, Gil Hodges, Bob Howsam, Jim Kaat, Minnie Minoso, Tony Oliva, Billy Pierce, Luis Tiant and Maury Wills.

VC Committee: Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith, Don Sutton, Jim Frey, David Glass, Roland Hemond, Bob Watson, Steve Hirdt, Dick Kaegel, Phil Pepe, and Tracy Ringolsby.

The announcement that none of these guys got in will be made at the end of the Winter Meetings in December.

Luis Tiant had some loving incredible seasons and was a royal pain in the rear end to the Yankees according to my dad.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Guys who can't play 3B or 1B but hit massive dingers are the best. Let's go, Dick Allen.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Luis Tiant had some loving incredible seasons and was a royal pain in the rear end to the Yankees according to my dad.
He had an odd career because there was 3-4 years in the middle where he wasn't good. I want to say it was because of injuries. Then the Red Sox picked him up off the Twins scrap heap and he became a star again. He does deserve to get in though.

Alan Trammell posted:

Guys who can't play 3B or 1B but hit massive dingers are the best. Let's go, Dick Allen.
Dick Allen and Boog Powell all day my friend.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Looking at player salaries pre-90s makes me really loving mad.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Minnie Minoso is cool too

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jamie Moyer's career closely resembles Jack Morris if you look at them. If you don't think Morris was a HoFer well I have bad news about Moyer...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was going to ask about Tiant. Looking at the numbers they seem good, but I don't know much about comparable players of his era.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
Tangential, but how did David Glass get on the VC committee?

edit: Read more about it and only got more confused and less interested.

Kundus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 31, 2014

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Kundus posted:

Tangential, but how did David Glass get on the VC committee?

The VC committee has representatives from living members of the Hall, BBWAA members and high level baseball executives which includes owners.

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014

leokitty posted:

The VC committee has representatives from living members of the Hall, BBWAA members and high level baseball executives which includes owners.

Thanks! I saw the writer/player stuff but not the executive things. Figured it would be that simple but never found where it's spelled out.

Is this thread just for 2015 or should Bochy/Bumgarner go here too?

Kundus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 31, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I'm excited to transfer the 'undeserving guy that I think should get in because I like him' title to Jim Kaat this year.

JIM KAAT

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kundus posted:

Is this thread just for 2015 or should Bochy/Bumgarner go here too?
Is this a serious post? Assuming it is, what's there to discuss?

Bochy has 3 rings now and as far as managers go that makes him pretty much a lock eventually.

Bumgarner is 25 and has only 4 full seasons under his belt so talking about his HoF case is premature and pointless.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just elect Edgar you dumb jerkheads :arghfist::(

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
I sure hope Minnie Minoso makes it this year.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Benne posted:

:agreed:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We should do a SAS vote on who we think will get in this year.

Do we finally get a couple of the repeat candidates in (Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza ...?), or will it just be the first-ballot guys like Johnson and Pedro (maybe Smoltz)?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My conservative guess is Smoltz, Big Unit, Pedro, Biggio

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Harlock posted:

I was going to ask about Tiant. Looking at the numbers they seem good, but I don't know much about comparable players of his era.

Tiant is definitely hurt by being a pitcher in that era and not really having a sustained peak. That being said, he has a really good case like the majority of this group. Allen and Minoso are a step above the pack, and it will really suck when neither get voted in. Especially the bullshit reasons against Allen.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
I feel like Minnie Minoso was Enos Slaughter but a pioneer instead of a scumbag.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Minnie is the best.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

bawfuls posted:

We should do a SAS vote on who we think will get in this year.

Do we finally get a couple of the repeat candidates in (Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza ...?), or will it just be the first-ballot guys like Johnson and Pedro (maybe Smoltz)?

You're not suggesting we do our own ballots of who we would like to see elected like we've done previously, but rather who we think the writers will actually deign to knight into the Holy Order of the Baseball Empire?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I feel so free not having to deal with Jack Morris on the ballot this year*

*I know

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

ChampRamp posted:

I feel so free not having to deal with Jack Morris on the ballot this year*

*I know

Don't worry, he'll be on the VC ballot in a few years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Biggio was only two votes shy last year, he's getting in

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

leokitty posted:

Don't worry, he'll be on the VC ballot in a few years.

What do you think the asterisk was for?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

leokitty posted:

Combined with the 10 vote limit, dudes like Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling are probably screwed.

gently caress Schilling, but goddammit why does the universe hate Mussina so much?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Benne posted:

:hf:

edit - did the hf break?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

kensei posted:

edit - did the hf break?

code:
:hfive:

code:
is for stuff like

:(:hf::(

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Intruder posted:

code:

code:
is for stuff like

:(:hf::(

Oh it used to be black, now it is blue and I couldn't see it. Thanks!

I still think Edgar should be in, the drat award is named after him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm fine with Edgar being in but if you're just taking the 10 most deserving guys from this ballot I don't see how you vote for him.

• Locked thread