Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

Schilling is the best postseason pitcher of all time

Mo Rivera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd very very very strongly suspect Diamondbacks - 4 of his 5 Cy Youngs and a World Series MVP.

Would Unit become the first member of the Hall to wear a Diamondbacks cap? I can't think of anyone else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

Being good defensively in center is significantly more difficult/valuable than being good defensively at first, but I don't think anyone thinks Edmonds actually has a shot? All the posts about him have said that he doesn't have one.

JAWS puts him as the 14th-best center fielder of all time; the only guys ahead of him who aren't in are Griffey (who's a lock, he just isn't eligible yet), Carlos Beltran, Lofton and Andruw Jones. I think Lofton has a stronger case than Edmonds, but the case for Edmonds isn't terrible, especially in context that Kirby Puckett is at 22nd and he's in the Hall (though he obviously had a strong narrative case around him).

I'm not saying Edmonds is a slam-dunk or anything like that, but he isn't the most absurd guy to ever have an argument made for him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

I know the guys is old but he can't remember if he voted for 5, 6 or 7 players?:negative:

Annual reminder that three dudes who write for a golf website have Hall of Fame votes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

ESPN released their voting results of eligible HOF voters, and there are some weird results. Like Larry Walker, Sosa, and Sheffield getting zero votes each, but Lee Smith got 3.

Mussina's vote percentage is a loving crime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tony Phillips posted:

And if anyone is that anti-PED, I can't figure out why they would think anyone from the 90's was clean. If you're willing to shun some players for *reasons* - why the Hell would anyone that played then get the benefit of the doubt at all? Skyrocketing salaries, no punishment, no testing, and what I have to assume is a hyper competitive environment?

They're only concerned about Magic Dinger Juice, everyone knows that steroids aren't Magic Strikeout Juice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

It was a bump from last year, but about in line with where he was in 2013. He went down a bit last year for no real reason. If he had more time he'd be in decent shape, I think, but the 10 year thing is going to gently caress him.

Four people getting elected this year probably clears the logjam a bit for him. Next year the only locks are Piazza and Griffey, which leaves room for a huge run for Raines, but 2017 has Manny, Vlad and Ivan Rodriguez coming up, which is probably going to screw him god drat it I want to believe. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Ortiz is going to cruise in with a failed drug test, which is a hell of a lot more evidence than what Bagwell and Piazza have.

His proponents are going to say that he failed a test for "something," but we don't know what it was so we can't hold it against him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Armitage posted:

It makes me wonder how many of the holdouts for Piazza this time are stuck in the whole "I will not vote for users or people we assume to have used." mindset.

This is a not-insignificant mindset; I mean, the only reason the BBWAA changed the rule from 15 to 10 years of eligibility was because all of the "Steroid Era" guys were coming up and they'd sooner ignore them than put anyone in the Hall because it's a sacred cathedral of the Best Guys Ever despite Gaylord Perry throwing spitballs, Maris and Mays using amphetamines, and you can't forget the voters who send in protest votes about Rose despite him voting against the Reds. Even if there is a taint, I can't imagine a majority of guys aren't doping or using in some way, and it's just a matter of time until the next Biogenesis (or something larger). The writers just want to believe that everything up to 1979 were The Great Years or some poo poo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 7, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Everblight posted:

Other than Griffey, who's getting added next year to steal votes from Piazza and Raines?

EDIT: Looks like it's Hoffman and then a STEEEEEEP drop-off to Jason Kendall.

Edmonds, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like retired players should probably be the frontline arbiters for entrance rather than just kind of one of the background committees.

They did that with the Veterans Committee (which for a while comprised every living Hall of Famer) -- they voted five times and elected no one.

• Locked thread