Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Kundus posted:

"If he's so great then why didn't the writers at the time agree? History has spoken."

Nolan Ryan doesn't belong in the Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
He's retiring a Giant, obviously.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

"do you want to know the terrifying truth of how the Hall of Famers were chosen, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers lay down a bunt?"

Post-Roids Reality.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

tadashi posted:

Someone at BBREF has made a prediction about Alex Rodriguez:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2019.shtml

Craig Biggio's gonna be pissed.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I asked a friend of mine, who doesn't read or watch or talk baseball, to make a ballot using the BBref page. He sorted by WAR then picked names he recognized until he had ten(I told him to pick as many as he wanted, up to ten).

Bonds
Clemens
Johnson
Martinez
Schilling
Bagwell
Mussina
Sosa
Martinez
Biggio

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

If a random dude who doesn't know poo poo about baseball has a better ballot than a ton of sportswriters I think it's time to burn the whole thing to the ground.

The problem really is that anyone including sportswriters can look at BBref and make an informed decision about how valuable a player's career was with the resources provided, but baseball writers don't do that because IT'S ALL IN MY HEAD I WATCHED THE GAMES NO INTERWEB CAN TELL ME blah blah blah.

E: That's how we get "Jack Morris was the best pitcher of his era" nonsense because in his entire career there was approximately one game that was memorable and everyone latched on to it as if it was symbolic of his entire career.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 30, 2014

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Don't have extremely high peaks in the 00s or you did PEDs! Johnson and p.Martinez don't count shut up

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Ken Griffey was the worst Reds player.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Almost 2.4 inductees a year. Better slow things down!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

So you're saying he had great power through the zone?

Bad about hacking above the shoulders.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Seems like being a republican would net you more votes with baseball writers.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Kundus posted:

We'll always have baseball reference.

I think this is the biggest offense nowadays. It's next to impossible to rewrite history now because every single statistic is stored in a database on the web, available freely for viewing, but the voters are still trying to rewrite history. And it doesn't matter how wrong they are or how much you present how wrong they are, they just do whatever they want because there's nothing to say they can't try to carry their personal grudges or paranoia all the way to the ballot box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm extremely mad that Barry and Rodger aren't invited to the Pajama sleepover party at the Cooper's house.

• Locked thread