Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ropa
Sep 7, 2006
the monster should be able to have MMORPG-raid-boss-like abilities that require gimmicks in team work

Summon adds, stun a player untill a condition is met, insta spawn fire on the floor that requires movement etc etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
It's really fricken epic how you drop the cage on the monster, spend the length of the cage timer depleting his shield, and when you finally start hurting his health pool the cage is down and he's 200m away already. By the time you get your cage cooldown done his shield is back to 100% and he's Stage 2.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
When the monster gets to stage 2 or 3, it really requires you to have an organised team or an incompetent monster. It really equals the playing field in stage 2, and tips over to the monster in 3. The only strategic advantage of stage 3 is knowing where you will be fighting ahead of time, allowing you to prepare and hopefully get there first to trap it to hell.

Every player getting in its face and mashing fire won't work. You need someone playing effective support especially.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I get the impression this thing will be way better with a group of people and good communication because pubbies I've played with just chase after the nearest indicator and it's dull as hell.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah. In the final release I hope there is an option to only be added to groups with mics. People without them have no organisation or planning.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
There's going to be private lobbies and everything in the full game.

beastmodebenji
May 5, 2013
Got an extra key!

8FQ7D-6WDLJ-BCY7Y

Enjoy.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Have any of you had luck finding a match when you have a team of 4? Whenever I party up with folks it searches forever, but when I go solo I get a game in about 5 seconds.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
So has anyone had a monster say "1v1 me and then u see what happen fgt" yet?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Lord Wexia posted:

Have any of you had luck finding a match when you have a team of 4? Whenever I party up with folks it searches forever, but when I go solo I get a game in about 5 seconds.

Just played for a few hours with a full lobby with 0 problems. Terrible level 1 babby goliaths were queuing up to get smashed by us.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Medic is really stressful to play. It feels like you have too many jobs with the healing (which you need to be doing constantly) along with having to keep the monster tranq'd and filling it with weak points.

The other classes are focused in that Assault deals damage, Support... supports, and Trapper controls the monster, but medic just feels badly designed. I'm not sure what I'd change though, maybe let the medigun tranquilize the monster. You'd still have to stop healing but at least you could keep your most important weapon equipped.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, they really should add in a giant disclaimer into the tutorial videos along the lines of "As long as you're stage 1, for god's sake run away and don't engage!". New players often try to stand and deliver during their very first encounter even after the shield is down. This naturally makes for pretty short and unsatisfying rounds.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I've got a couple of goons on steam now and we have a 3 man team. It's pretty great so far, to be honest.

edit: I wish they'd talk though :/ nomic seems counterproductive on this game.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I've had several rounds where the hunters were right on my butt but I just crouched behind a rock and waited for them to leave. Fantastic feeling to just go back and eat more monsters. Another round someone decided to solo an elite monster, so while he was getting mauled I just jumped up and ate them both :getin:

Also Flame Breath is loving broken, jesus.

The good teams I've gone against found me early and kept me pinned down with the harpoon or lightning trap or whatever. The thunderdome most of the time ends up with me tossing one of them in a hole and mauling them to death. A very satisfying game to play.

Also Why isnt the title of this thread "eat your friends?" that was way better of a ring to it.

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 1, 2014

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Man, they really should add in a giant disclaimer into the tutorial videos along the lines of "As long as you're stage 1, for god's sake run away and don't engage!". New players often try to stand and deliver during their very first encounter even after the shield is down. This naturally makes for pretty short and unsatisfying rounds.

When you spawn as a monster the game pops a huge RUN in bright, red letters. What is there to understand?

Had my first match as a Goliath earler today, using rivers and stealth to make the hunters lose track of you is fun as gently caress. :allears:
Oh what's that? He's level 3? Is that a giant fiery boulder flying at us at terminal velocity?
The trapper was the last one standing, left him with a couple hp to go tear down the power relay. It was pretty satisfying.

I murdered Daisy, too! :haw:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Just had a few fun games as Monster, even the ones I lost! The first couple had me evading the hunters pretty darn good, hitting level 3, and then having a big slugfest back in front of the reactor. After that, though, I had a couple sets of really persistent hunters that never gave me the time to eat enough of the wildlife, even when I ran like hell. This last game ended with them surrounding me in a building while I was level 2. Of course, their tactic of "let's split up, gang!" got one of them pounced on and taken out early. I slugged it out with the others since they arrived the moment the first was down, and I actually had them down to just the Support! ...then when I killed him the others had come back on the dropship. Really fun game.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

nucleicmaxid posted:

I've got a couple of goons on steam now and we have a 3 man team. It's pretty great so far, to be honest.

edit: I wish they'd talk though :/ nomic seems counterproductive on this game.

Add me cause I have a mic and I'm tired of pubbie non-teamwork. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Wexia/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Is it possible for the hunters to win after being beaten down and sent back to the dropship? It seems like by then you're so fragile and the monster is so powerful that the next time you meet you're going to either get one shotted or he's going to destroy the generator.

If I had two real beefs with the game they're with the recharge time on the jetpack and how kinda glitchy/clusterfucky it can get in close quarters.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
I can't even get this to run. I click on play, it connects to the servers and some blurry text appears about how it wants to make sure I play my preferred class, before freezing halfway through it's dumb little appearing animation and dumping me to a black screen where only my cursor is. Has anyone experienced this issue? Or at least knows how to fix it?

EDIT: Got it working. I now see the issue with the Kraken. It hardly feels like there's a point to playing when it's selected :smith:

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 1, 2014

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

Personally, I would like a mode where the monster has to do some goals like destroying a few machines chosen at random (in one hit, not like the actual reactor), and then escape. Something that could be done without fighting the hunters, using more stealth.

It feels like they had a definite idea of how the game was to be played and didn't really flesh out alternate play opportunities. The start of the game is so ingrained with Run that they hardcoded it in. A stealthy sabotage or horror movie pick them off one at a time style opening seems like it would have been a nice alternative to consider in the design stages. I can't really think of a motive for a monster to fight intentionally at level 2 rather than boredom or impatience. Killing more wildlife to get Level 3 levels your skill xp permanently and being more powerful against a static human team is all pro, no con.

As the humans, it seems like there should be value in slaughtering the animal population in an xp denying kind of way but it seems like the monster can eat the carcasses just fine so it's even faster for them since they don't have to chase and kill anything. I think you can farm elite animals for perks but I don't know if that's productive use of time or not.

Slime posted:

Honestly it seems to me that having just 3 levels is a pretty bad way to handle monster progression. It just makes it so that a fight between hunters and a monsters turns into a binary situation where one side is almost guaranteed to win based on the level of the monster. If monster strength was more granular, if they had more levels but each level increased their strength less for instance, I think it might lead to more fights where the outcome is up in the air and could go either way.

This would certainly seem to help introduce some choice into things. If there were more levels where the reactor was vulnerable the monster could decide if they were powerful enough to attack. But again, I don't see any incentive for the monster to not cap out so who knows?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Ape Agitator posted:

I think you can farm elite animals for perks but I don't know if that's productive use of time or not.

As far as I can tell, no. I kinda like the idea of hunting other game while searching for the monster but as of now it doesn't seem to have any tangible benefits and just wastes time.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Trip report before I dive back in.

Hunters
  • Assault: Assault is probably the least important class on the face of things, but without a good one it's going to take a long time to kill that monster. I've been mostly playing Assault today (just about to unlock Hyde) and it's a really fun class to play. Take jetpack recharge or movement speed and just book it after the monster. Once you find him use your shield to buy you some time while your squad catches up. Run around with the assault rifle but switch to mines and the lightning gun when you get close, these do LUDICROUS amounts of damage to the monster. Always set up a minefield when an arena goes down, and yell at your team to get the monster into it. 4-5 mines can take off a third or more of the monsters health and it's not hard to run him into them (especially Goliath).
  • Support: About as important as the Medic. A good Support is key to being able to fight the monster when you catch him. Orbital strike is simply the most damage you can do, in my second game I caught a monster evolving and landed a full orbital on him. It did 80% of his health and leveled me from level 2 to level 8 at the end of the round. You need to save this for when the monster is tranq'd, trapped, or otherwise stuck. Cloak is also SUPER important, it's the only way to get a revive off against a good monster and it allows you to get the drop on a monster that's not paying attention. The shield gun is op as hell, but it's a huge KILL ME FIRST target above your head so always have an escape route when you use it. I haven't unlocked the robot support yet, but my buddy did. He can detach his head as a UAV which is BROKEN for chasing the monster, if he finds it the monster can't escape. However, his body is rooted during this time so he can get boned pretty bad. He keeps the stealth but the shield and laser gun are replaced by auto-turrets (really good for fighting in the arena) and a rocket launcher.
  • Medic: The only class I haven't played yet. Tranq is really useful for hunting and if your team actually uses the sniper rifle weak points their damage goes through the roof. The healing gun is obviously super important, not just for fighting the monster but also for keeping your team topped off from random environmental/wildlife damage. The healing burst is ridiculously important, it's a ton of healing and more importantly heals you. The number 1 medic mistake I see as a monster is a medic who doesn't use the burst. They'll come into a fight with half health and I'll just kill them instantly and then the game is over. Lazarus, the second medic character, loses the tranq and the healing burst but he gains an instant revive which REFILLS your health ticks (the hp you lose permanently when you get downed) which is CRAZY because the monster then has to down you two more times to instakill you. I forgot what else he gets but it's a pretty tough call between tranqs vs his revive. I think Val might be a bit better with pubs just cause you can take hunting the monster into your own hands.
  • Trapper: The most important class, kind of. Basically with the Trapper you just need to be able to land Arenas. Everything else is frosting, if you can't land Arenas then you will lose your team the game. All the other stuff the Trappers can do is really useful but largely non-essential, your Trapper can be completely AFK aside from the ability to land Arenas and you can still win. I've got both unlocked, Daisy is actually pretty useful as a revive bot or if you are totally lost, and the harpoon traps can be brutal if your team is coordinated. One team I had we got a level 2 monster in a minefield which had 3 harpoon traps, 5 mines, and then we orbital struck him. He died instantly, it was pretty amazing. I think I like Griffin more though, the harpoon gun is REALLY good for chasing, and his audio sensors are crazy useful, they have ridiculous coverage. His gun does a bit more damage too (I think), which is a nice bonus.
Monster
Man....playing as the monster is the most fun I've had since splinter cell multi. It's ridiculously awesome. With everyone being so inexperienced, the game is heavily skewed in favor of the monster (I haven't lost a game in 20+ rounds played as him, and only one game was even remotely close). Still, as is often the case with these games, I think having an organized team of skilled players will actually skew things towards the hunters once the game comes out.
  • Goliath: A blast to play. I always start with charge and flame breath, the other two are a feel thing. Charge is essential for escaping early, and flame breath lets you kill wildlife very easily as well as letting you sneak up and kill flocks of birds (yes its true, if you flame breath a flock of birds they will NOT trigger an alarm for the hunters, its pretty op). As far as evolving, I think maxing flame breath by level 3 is mandatory, other than that it's whatever. A couple things to note: ALWAYS sneak early on, especially immediately after the round starts. If you leap (space) and hit ctrl in the air, you will land into a sneak, which lets you move quickly and quietly. While sneaking, you can hold left mouse to charge a sneak attack, which will do a dash forward (depending on how long you charged it goes farther), instantly and silently kill small wildlife, and put you into a L4D Hunter-style pounce attack on players. Really useful. As you gain armor, you start to glow, so it becomes much harder to escape detection, keep that in mind. Also as you evolve you get slower and louder, there's really not much point sneaking at level 3. Smell (right trigger) should basically be on cooldown 100% of the time, especially early in the round. You can do it while doing almost anything else, especially important while feeding. In terms of when to fight the hunters, my favorite tactic is to evolve to level 2, armor up, and then set an ambush somewhere that favors me (near some dangerous wildlife or some useful terrain). I'll try to sneak attack one of the hunters off the bat and then just brawl till my armor is out. Usually at that point I'll have killed at least one hunter and downed the others once or twice, so I'll just end the game there. If they're all still up, I'll just run off once the arena goes down and evolve (since I had a full bar before I fought). Level 3 gives a big max-hp boost and even if they are right on top of you when you come out of the evolve you can just kill them easily. Goliath might be a bit overpowered, even against coordinated teams I have never come close to losing, he just brawls so well.
  • Kraken: I've played 5 games with Kraken so far and he is a ton of fun, but I think Goliath is a bit better. Kraken stomps bad players a lot harder than Goliath, since they just run into all his skillshots and mines, but he's an easier target than Goliath and his crowd control is harder to land, not to mention he's a bit more fragile. He also has a harder time sneaking around because his flight lights him up like a Christmas tree, so he can't do the sneak->jump->sneak thing as easily as Goliath. However he can run much easier since he loving flies, so hit-and-run tactics are much more viable with Kraken (banshee mines are super useful here). The last game I played (and the closest I've come to losing as the monster, 2 health bars left), I did my normal strategy of running till level 2, armoring up, and setting an ambush. I got cocky though and fought the hunters the same way I would as Goliath, in a big brawl. Their medic and support were really on point and prevented me from getting kills with lightning strike and the team was able to get a second arena on me after my armor had ran out. I ended up killing them but it was a close thing, I should have ran immediately after the first arena went down and kited them around for a while longer (easy to do with Kraken).

Overall I'm having a ton of fun. There's definitely some balance kinks to iron out (the alpha wildlife buff that gives half-cooldown times for monster abilities is WAYYYYY too strong), but the game is super fun to play and there's a ton of depth to it. I can't wait for more.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 1, 2014

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Bucket is goddamn awesome! :haw:
That UAV is useful as gently caress, the only complaint is not being able to tag a monster in stealth, even tough I can clearly see it. You can totally spam pings, though. :mmmhmm:

Just won a game by the skin of our teeth as hunters, I managed to keep the Goliath off the power relay with a mix of missiles, turrets and invisibility.

This game is a goddamn day 1 buy for me, so much fun with friends. :allears:

Brumaldo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 1, 2014

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lazarus is amazing. He gets a faster sniper with expendable (?) target points, a self cloak, a revive that's OP as gently caress (use it while stealthed) and the regular aoe heal bomb. At first I hated losing the spam heal, but the revive man... the revive

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I wasn't thrilled with the harpoon gun. Harpoons are so easy for the monster to shrug off. The sound sensors are incredible but lose you a reviving trap jaw.

Still I managed to get 33k points from his SMG :stare:

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Carecat posted:

I wasn't thrilled with the harpoon gun. Harpoons are so easy for the monster to shrug off. The sound sensors are incredible but lose you a reviving trap jaw.

Still I managed to get 33k points from his SMG :stare:

Yeah, I get the feeling that the xp rewards are a bit off. I've been maining support and I can do decent amounts of xp, I'm like 15 or 16. My assault friend is like, level 3 and has been playing as much as I have. :shrug:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think a well-aimed orbital strike has a lot to do with that. If you land even half a volley it's like half the damage another player can do in the entire round it seems like.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

The Gate posted:

I think a well-aimed orbital strike has a lot to do with that. If you land even half a volley it's like half the damage another player can do in the entire round it seems like.

Yeah, that's true. But he's been going nuts with mines, and those hurt like hell too. It's weird.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
The game is generally fun and has a lot going for it but if your hunter team doesn't pick up the monster's trail right away or the monster is halfway decent, then the game turns into Wandering Around a Spooky Jungle Simulator - which is boring.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Brumaldo posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling that the xp rewards are a bit off. I've been maining support and I can do decent amounts of xp, I'm like 15 or 16. My assault friend is like, level 3 and has been playing as much as I have. :shrug:

I have harpooned the monster a ton of times with the standard trapper, and I have never had my harpoon end of round 'you harpooned an enemy X times' summary ever have X be anything other than 0.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think they should add some kind of incentive for the monster to do early hit and run tactics on the Hunters to break things up. Right now they have it so hard coded that the first two minutes, unless the monster is really bad, the hunters wander around doing nothing. Then stage two happens and maybe a fire fight will happen but usually not then stage 3. It's so hard line "Monster is mouse hunters are cats, now its even but still the monster has a pretty fair chance of losing, oh its stage three so its hard for the hunters" that it can grow pretty stale. They've put so much focus on making sure the game is played The Right Way that there isn't any chance for any kind of deviance from it. Maybe add some bonus objectives that split up the hunters at the very start that if the monster completes it gets some kind of bonus or perhaps the hunters spawn away from each other. Something that'll help build tension for stage 1 and stage 2 cause right now there really isn't any it's pretty much peek a boo

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

redreader posted:

I have harpooned the monster a ton of times with the standard trapper, and I have never had my harpoon end of round 'you harpooned an enemy X times' summary ever have X be anything other than 0.

Is that the first icon/category in the scoreboard at the end? Because that one doesn't work for me either, no matter what class I'm using.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Brumaldo posted:

Is that the first icon/category in the scoreboard at the end? Because that one doesn't work for me either, no matter what class I'm using.

no, it's #2.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The game is generally fun and has a lot going for it but if your hunter team doesn't pick up the monster's trail right away or the monster is halfway decent, then the game turns into Wandering Around a Spooky Jungle Simulator - which is boring.

Best thing you can do is always look for it in two groups. Even if you have to run off on your own while the three others chase his tracks. I'm not saying you should run in opposite directions from everyone else, but your life is a lot easier when someone is flanking on the outside of the route the others are going. Especially if that person is Val with the tranq gun.

Initially, I wasn't crazy about Val and just wanted to grind through for Lazarus, who sounded a lot more interesting. I ended up preferring Val because the tranq gun can shut the monster down early.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 2, 2014

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

beastmodebenji posted:

Got an extra key!

8FQ7D-6WDLJ-BCY7Y

Enjoy.

I took this one. Or, at least I think I did. Thanks!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Pladdicus posted:

Did not try top, bottom was taken.

Yeah I took that. Was about to post; astonished that it actually worked this late after the post.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Finally won my first match and came close in the follow up. Felt good man, felt real drat good

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 2, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Best thing you can do is always look for it in two groups. Even if you have to run off on your own while the three others chase his tracks. I'm not saying you should run in opposite directions from everyone else, but your life is a lot easier when someone is flanking on the outside of the route the others are going. Especially if that person is Val with the tranq gun.

Initially, I wasn't crazy about Val and just wanted to grind through for Lazarus, who sounded a lot more interesting. I ended up preferring Val because the tranq gun can shut the monster down early.

Yeah, outflanking and encircling the monster is definitely the name of the game against enemies who know to keep mobile. Make sure you have either a trapper or medic in either group to actually slow down the monster once you encounter it. Also, it definitely pays off to kill the occasional buff monster even as the hunters, some of those buffs are insane. +30% movement speed, +50% faster cooldowns and the like.

Oh, also have two more keys:
94A5R-HE2ZR-NHEZ4
94DPT-5E4JV-AMDT4

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

It's really fricken epic how you drop the cage on the monster, spend the length of the cage timer depleting his shield, and when you finally start hurting his health pool the cage is down and he's 200m away already. By the time you get your cage cooldown done his shield is back to 100% and he's Stage 2.

It's impressive that you even managed to cage the monster in the first place. Guy must've sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah there is no reason for the Monster to ever fight pre-3. It's just too fast and mobile.

• Locked thread