Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This game is loving terrible even for an alpha right now and the fact that it flashes a screen showing off its numerous journalism awards makes me want the people who developed this and thought that letting people preorder it right now should never ever work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is it running like poo poo for anyone else besides me? It keeps stuttering and locking up like hell, I've already turned off vsync and AA just in case

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Widestancer posted:

This game is loving terrible even for an alpha right now and the fact that it flashes a screen showing off its numerous journalism awards makes me want the people who developed this and thought that letting people preorder it right now should never ever work again.

Ads and swagger screens are standard course for demos. Might as well say unskippable intro movies are annoying too for all the good it'll do us.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 2, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Donnerberg posted:

This is standard course for demos. Might as well say unskippable intro movies are annoying too for all the good it'll do us.

It's not standard course at all. Demos actually used to be playable and this is just really bad. I hope that anyone who actually preorders this gets hit by a bus and their finances used to pay off the bills so that no more money goes to the devs.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Well it runs great for me with just vsync off, I only had some graphical glitches 3 times I think (once everything had a purple glow, it was weird)

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Since this is an Alpha and I assume the devs want feedback where can I go to offer some uh constructive criticism to them

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The best part is they haven't fixed a single loving gameplay issue from the last alpha like 3 months ago.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This game will fail harder than Titanfall at that price

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Widestancer posted:

It's not standard course at all. Demos actually used to be playable and this is just really bad. I hope that anyone who actually preorders this gets hit by a bus and their finances used to pay off the bills so that no more money goes to the devs.

I'm sorry you are having trouble but it's an alpha test dude. Stop getting mad at video games.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Huh, this would've been useful to know sooner. You can hold the rock throw and leap to see their trajectory.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm sorry you are having trouble but it's an alpha test dude. Stop getting mad at video games.

No one's getting mad. I just think that anyone who actually spends money on this should go buy a gun and see if they can find other people who did the same, kill them, then themselves to help end this sort of stuff from happening to gaming.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The game is literally a few months out, and had fundamenal issues for a multiplayer only game (see Titanfall) and this game is total loving garbage. The monster, if not a total retard, will always win if you don't have a good trap, which still breaks down too fast, the loading is god awful, the intro in the plane for 20 mins is poo poo, and the game runs like poo poo. It's also 60 dollars (LMFAO)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The game is like 4 months from release and has seen zero balance improvements since the last alpha test that was like 3 months ago.

Game is poo poo dude

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
I'm total poo poo at being able to evade hunters for very long but I've managed to win 90% of my matches by just getting to at least level 2 and stomping them afterwards. I feel like the mobile arena is really good early on but after level 1 they're hurting themselves more than they hurt me. Once I unlocked Kraken this morning it's been a joke since. I just spam banshee mines and lightning strike from the roof of the mobile arena and watch them all drop. If I ever had to play against a Kraken I would probably just dc.

The game is great in theory but it needs a lot of work and a much smaller price tag.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Played three games!

First game - Game ran like crap; but it didn't matter since we caught the monster at level 1, and the player clearly had no idea what he was doing. Match ended in promptly.

Second game - Player knew what he was doing, evaded our group easily until level 3, slaughtered us. Spooky forest wandering simulator confirmed.

Third game - Got lucky and trapped the monster at level 2, spammed tranq darts as medic, ran around healing people and generally had a good time; game still runs like crap on low, but still playable.

quote:

The game is great in theory but it needs a lot of work and a much smaller price tag.

Yeah.

The whole situation reminds me of L4D1, everything was spooky and great; until you peeled away the thin illusion of the director, and how the special gauntlets were broken by huddling into a corner with a 4 shotguns and spamming melee every time someone on the opposing team had the audacity to try to do anything.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

CaptainAssholay posted:

I'm total poo poo at being able to evade hunters for very long but I've managed to win 90% of my matches by just getting to at least level 2 and stomping them afterwards. I feel like the mobile arena is really good early on but after level 1 they're hurting themselves more than they hurt me. Once I unlocked Kraken this morning it's been a joke since. I just spam banshee mines and lightning strike from the roof of the mobile arena and watch them all drop. If I ever had to play against a Kraken I would probably just dc.

Man, you don't know the half of it. You can goad a meltdown by dropping the arena right at the start, and it won't be because you wasted it. There's always one guy who doesn't know he can walk right out. It is the best.

Edit: Aw, poo poo. It does actually block you now?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 2, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's Left 4 Dead, but instead of having fun with 3 friends you need 4 people one of which will lose by design. That is incredibly lovely for most people. And that's apart from the actual balance issues they can theoretically fix. But the fundamental design is seriously flawed. It'd be fine of the matches were quick (like in the Hidden the still unbeaten 1vX game), but the load times and down time are a joke.

Oh yeah and you get stat upgrades from playing a lot. That's always great in a competitive game that has to rely on razor sharp balance.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 2, 2014

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

i usually play medic but one game put me as the monster for some reason. i had no idea wtf i was doing but it was fun until i got randomly disconnected after evolving to level 2 and preparing to drop down and attack the hunters from above :/ the game seems okay?? like the idea and everything is cool but actual monster vs human combat is really janky imo and frustrating for everyone involved

also why the heck would you use cryengine for anything let alone a multiplayer game wtf

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
My official opinion on the Evolve™ Big Alpha:

plape

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
This is the perfect game to passive aggressively tell one of your friends you don't want them around anymore

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Had some fun matches at the monster. I gotta say though, my number one complaint right now is with how janky the movement is sometimes. Every so often I just can't wait or eat or attack or jump until I kinda wiggle around and jam on the buttons. Why is it so unresponsive? It's not always like this but when it is it's a killer.

Also had a hilarious round where as soon as the hunters spawned they threw down the containment cage and managed to snag the monster. Had no idea he was even there, just took a gamble and he was trapped. At level 1 with no armor he got the poo poo beat out of him.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think this is a very good game so far. It needs some optimisation work for sure. The airship stutters like poo poo for me, but as soon as I get off it is smooth for me, but I am running a fairly good system.

Having a team that knows the rules of the Great One really helps. "Know your role." Games where I've seen medics going in balls deep as though they were an assault and the support going for walks were doomed from the beginning, but if everyone sticks together and plays as they should, it is good.

Never played the monster though. Not sure I have any interest in that role.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I can't get it to run at all. Open it up, steam says I'm in it for a second, and it immediately closes. No splash screen or anything. If I wasn't watching my steam status I wouldn't even be sure anything happened at all.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

This game will fail harder than Titanfall at that price

Titanfall owned, though.

This is pretty fun as well. Just spent the last three or so hours playing together with three friends and a pubbie who stuck around to be the monster. Though we tended to win most of the time, every round turned out to be really tense and close, generally ending with him in stage two and us having sustained some casualties. Most of the time it was a matter of slowly whittling him down over repeated engagements rather than one single decisive fight. Except for one time where he managed to get to stage three mostly intact, and it all came down to one big old ambush at the energy generator that just barely went in our favour. The assault's mines can actually do some pretty hellish damage.

The XP progression for the assault seems to be completely hosed, though. After an especially long round everyone got several thousands of XP from their utility-related badges, whereas the assault ended up with maybe 300 from "did a bunch of damage with this gun" and nothing else.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

Is it running like poo poo for anyone else besides me? It keeps stuttering and locking up like hell, I've already turned off vsync and AA just in case

Yeah it ran like loving dogshit for me, leaving the default settings on. I have a GTX 760 and good CPU so I was really surprised the game was a stuttering, chugging mess for the first two matches. Dropping the quality down to medium and turning off vsync seems to have fixed it though.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Titanfall owned, though.

This is pretty fun as well.

You are brain damaged.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Titanfall owned, though.

This is pretty fun as well. Just spent the last three or so hours playing together with three friends and a pubbie who stuck around to be the monster. Though we tended to win most of the time, every round turned out to be really tense and close, generally ending with him in stage two and us having sustained some casualties. Most of the time it was a matter of slowly whittling him down over repeated engagements rather than one single decisive fight. Except for one time where he managed to get to stage three mostly intact, and it all came down to one big old ambush at the energy generator that just barely went in our favour. The assault's mines can actually do some pretty hellish damage.

The XP progression for the assault seems to be completely hosed, though. After an especially long round everyone got several thousands of XP from their utility-related badges, whereas the assault ended up with maybe 300 from "did a bunch of damage with this gun" and nothing else.

Titanfall was actually good, but going by population numbers a month and a half after launch I would not call it a success.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Titanfall was the best multiplayer FPS since CoD 4.

Get on my level.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The game is hosed at it's core design. Sure they can tweak the monster to be more balanced, but you still have to deal with "play the same class over and over until you unlock the good stuff (+10% weapon change speed)" in a loving competitive game lol.

Even a barely semi-competent monster will win easily unless the 4 humans are decent and on voice chat with each other, which is usually too much to ask for a game like this.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

the monster is OP and thus this game is bad? Or is there more to it's badness? do i even want a code at this point?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

Titanfall was the best multiplayer FPS no one bothered to play since Natural Selection 2.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Widestancer posted:

You are brain damaged.

Titanfall was actually good, the first interesting FPS with fresh mechanics in a long while. Like Tribes Ascend, I would still be playing it if the playerbase didn't vanish into the ether.

The problem? Titan combat could have been a bit better, and it didnt have enough stupid shiny unlocks to keep the masses interested.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

the monster is OP and thus this game is bad? Or is there more to it's badness? do i even want a code at this point?

The matchmaking is hit or miss. The game performance is hit or miss. Crazy rear end load times. The monster, in 75% of scenarios, is too fast/too strong. It has Battlefield/CoD-esque progression system. Playing with pubbies when each role is pretty important sucks. If you're playing against a good monster you'll just be chasing him until he decides to fight you on his term and wipes your team. If you're playing against a bad monster he'll still make you chase him around until your trapper gets him, but then you better hope your teammates know what they are doing. Too reliant on the Trapper, etc etc.

But hey it looks pretty, and the wildlife is neat.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Night Blade posted:

Titanfall was actually good, the first interesting FPS with fresh mechanics in a long while. Like Tribes Ascend, I would still be playing it if the playerbase didn't vanish into the ether.

The problem? Titan combat could have been a bit better, and it didnt have enough stupid shiny unlocks to keep the masses interested.

More people still play counter strike 1.6 than Titanfall and that has no stupid loving unlocks. Titanfall could have had the best mechanics in the world, but it had barely any content on launch and they splintered their player base by releasing maps as DLC.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Blister posted:

More people still play counter strike 1.6 than Titanfall and that has no stupid loving unlocks. Titanfall could have had the best mechanics in the world, but it had barely any content on launch and they splintered their player base by releasing maps as DLC.

Can't splinter 9 people

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

This game will probably suck on release but I will still buy the Game Of The Year version when it's $15 during Summer Sale 2015.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the current top multiplayer fps?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Probably CS:GO

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
TF2 halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

idk i think the game seesaws between hunters being overpowered and then monster being overpowered once it levels up. there doesn't seem to be any balance between those two extremes which results in one side being hosed depending on what level the monster is. that's just first impressions from 5 or 6 matches though so it could actually balance out once everyone knows what they're doing??

• Locked thread