Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Turin Turambar posted:

I think this game is going to fail. Not because it's bad, but because it isn't "mainstream friendly". It's the type of game where intense teamwork is obligatory, where everyone should have mics, where every player should know the maps and everyone's abilities, where the monster player has to be smart, etc. Some people even have problems playing the first part of the match, the "hunting" because it's all running without shooting. They want immediate action not a delayed boss fight.

Apart from that, I hope the loading times will be more optimized and all the matchmaking has to be improved.

It could go either way. All of the above applies to games like Dota. Those made it big somehow. It really needs a singleplayer component though, so people can figure out poo poo at their own pace against the AI.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I thought playing as the monster was very janky because of the third person camera. You don't have a good feeling for where you're aiming and attacking. Just kind of mash keys in the direction of the hunters and hope for the best.

Playing as the hunters was a lot of fun though. I'm not quite sure how they're supposed to track the flying monster, but the jetpacks feel super good, and the different weapons are a lot of fun to mess around with.

I don't like the interface. I've no idea what's supposed to indicate my health and fuel. Maybe it's the blue half circle that some times pops up like in Goldeneye?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 1, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if a 4 monsters vs 4 hunters ala L4D vs would have been better. That way the monster side could have fun combining abilities and etc, and the higher "enemy count" would mean more things to shoot at and easier to find, which lots of people are having problems with.

Personally, I would like a mode where the monster has to do some goals like destroying a few machines chosen at random (in one hit, not like the actual reactor), and then escape. Something that could be done without fighting the hunters, using more stealth.

Maybe. More people in the mix would give you a backup guy if the first guy isn't that great too.

Cause I'll bail if the matchmaker has the nerve to make me the monster when it's my 5th choice. There can't be that many people queuing up who has it as their 5th. Like, I would be okay with being the monster every now and then to be a team player and a good sport, but you're unable to stay hidden and survive if you're not 100% committed. There's too little leeway for mistakes before you're caught, which in my experience means I die within the first 4 minutes. It's faster and overall more fun to just bail on the lobby and get a proper match as a hunter, despite the fact that they give you a 1 minute cooldown before you could go back into matchmaking.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 1, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

That's awesome! I just have to recruit a wingman then, and I'm in the clear!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The game is generally fun and has a lot going for it but if your hunter team doesn't pick up the monster's trail right away or the monster is halfway decent, then the game turns into Wandering Around a Spooky Jungle Simulator - which is boring.

Best thing you can do is always look for it in two groups. Even if you have to run off on your own while the three others chase his tracks. I'm not saying you should run in opposite directions from everyone else, but your life is a lot easier when someone is flanking on the outside of the route the others are going. Especially if that person is Val with the tranq gun.

Initially, I wasn't crazy about Val and just wanted to grind through for Lazarus, who sounded a lot more interesting. I ended up preferring Val because the tranq gun can shut the monster down early.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 2, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Widestancer posted:

This game is loving terrible even for an alpha right now and the fact that it flashes a screen showing off its numerous journalism awards makes me want the people who developed this and thought that letting people preorder it right now should never ever work again.

Ads and swagger screens are standard course for demos. Might as well say unskippable intro movies are annoying too for all the good it'll do us.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 2, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Huh, this would've been useful to know sooner. You can hold the rock throw and leap to see their trajectory.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

CaptainAssholay posted:

I'm total poo poo at being able to evade hunters for very long but I've managed to win 90% of my matches by just getting to at least level 2 and stomping them afterwards. I feel like the mobile arena is really good early on but after level 1 they're hurting themselves more than they hurt me. Once I unlocked Kraken this morning it's been a joke since. I just spam banshee mines and lightning strike from the roof of the mobile arena and watch them all drop. If I ever had to play against a Kraken I would probably just dc.

The game is great in theory but it needs a lot of work and a much smaller price tag.

Man, you don't know the half of it. You can goad a meltdown by dropping the arena right at the start, and it won't be because you wasted it. There's always one guy who doesn't know he can walk right out. It is the best.

Edit: Aw, poo poo. It does actually block you now?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 2, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've played 4 or 5 rounds only as the monster. Won once and came pretty close a few other times. Putting 2 levels in fire and one in charge seems to work best for me. I'm a little unclear how dying works. Hunters get a little left4dead style countdown but they still respawn anyway?

They get knocked down first, and as long as they don't bleed out, they can be revived from that twice before dying. If they're revived, they have decreased maximum health. Once one of them dies, a dropship timer appears. Anyone who dies before the dropship arrives will come back on the ship.

Lazarus can revive dead people and negate the health penalty. I'm not sure if the dropship timer disappears if the dead people are revived.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 2, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

So it turns out the first dozen perks you unlock are just tier one stuff. You get stronger versions in the late teens and up. That's the same notion of "balance" that Super Monday Night Combat had.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, so having played mostly medic to unlock Lazarus and then to get Val's second skin (cause screw Lazarus' upgrades and farming stealth revives), I come away from this weekend feeling Val's tranq gun is a gamebreaker.

It's been said before, but it deserves repeating. Being able to snare the monster, ground the Kraken, and paint it for the whole team to see is stupidly powerful. You don't need the mobile arena, and you don't need torpedos. You just need a Val who can maintain her line of sight to keep the tranq going. The armour piercing rifle is a waste of time, and healing shouldn't be necessarily because the Goliath can be kited and you can safely break the Kraken's line of sight. The support can cover whatever other damage there is. It's your game to lose at that point.

The tranq needs diminished returns from repeated hits like crowd control in MMOs or something like that, or maybe it should have one shot and a slow reload.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 3, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Samuel posted:

You what?

You don't need double damage if you have all the time in the world to kill the monster without much threat.

redreader posted:

So I used the advice everyone gave earlier in the thread and tranq'd the poo poo out of the kraken. It went green and everything, but it still stayed in the air and hosed US UP OUR BUMS really hard. I mean, this 'tranq makes it stop flying' thing is just plain not true.

It didn't lose height? I don't know what's up then, but sorry if I spread misinformation. Val on tranq duty has worked out great for our group, but I suppose it could be the monsters that did something to mess up. Maybe tranqs just slows down their vertical movement too and they gave up on gaining height.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 3, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I'm in a match right now on the PC. The timer skipped back to 43 secs a few times in the lobby, but we're loading into the map now.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I think we just fought an AI monster.

It was just referred to as "monster" in all the places you'd usually see the player name. It left very few tracks, turned around the second you shot it, and stalled a long time before coming to the core after it hit stage 3.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There's some many redundant loving loading screens that there has to be something they can cut or pile together. First you load the fake lobby where you wait for more dudes to sign up. Then you load the real lobby where people have joined and you wait for them to sync up or something, although new dudes can still join so I don't know why this isn't just merged with the fake lobby. Once that's done, it finally lets you pick character and perks. Then you load the game. And if someone hasn't seen their character tutorial, you have to wait on for them to watch the entire thing. Then you have to exit to a dedicated point distribution screen before it boots you back to the fake lobby and adds a little map of everyone running circles.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 3, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Do we know what the level cap will be? Cause the perks repeat past lvl 15 and double in strength. If it keeps going past lvl 30, new people can kiss their rear end goodbye.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Val's elite skin. (Not mine)

Black guns seem to be the only difference.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 4, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

VarXX posted:

A big reason why the loading times are so bad is because it's playing the tutorial vids to someone in the group during them, when you play with a group where everyone has already watched the videos the load times are a lot better.

Not to keep harping on the horrendous loads, but the tutorial clips should just be minis that activate on mouse-over at the character select screen. You could watch them thrice over in the time it takes the lobby to start. Games with bigger rosters have already solved the problem that way. It's not like they're reinventing the wheel here.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just take out the xp thing and make it a random drop like all the stuff in TF2 and DOTA

Unlock systems won't go away any time soon. Finite goals keep you invested short term, long enough to buy the DLC. The DLC spikes interest, and hopefully people stick around grinding long enough to hear about the annualized sequel and get hyped. Having everything unlocked up front is bad for business. There's no practical end to the game, no way to max out. You'll just monkey around forever in Counter-strike, running airship carriers into islands in BF1942 and getting your sense of accomplishment from being a monster at the game. No one makes any money off of you.

TF2 and Dota 2 are outliers. They could have no paid content, and Valve would still profit from them introducing people to the Steam platform and keeping them active there.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It's pretty interesting that they'll be using AI controlled Goliaths as support in two of the other modes. The AI in the big alpha was already as good as if not better than player monsters, so it's practically a 4v2 then.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Now I just want to find out what the next two monsters will be!

They haven't said anything more about the Behemoth since naming it, but they posted this for the other one:

I've no idea if the following is a leak or just a mock-up, but here's what some other guy posted:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 4, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Are you confusing the weekends? I thought it was next week it'd be available.

There's a bunch of "press" streaming it on twitch now though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There's nothing about it on their site and twitter, they're too busy pandering to consoles there. The only concrete thing I've seen is that Rockpapershotgun link where it says there's a PC test the 18th. So I guess we just get one day?

Good thing that we're fast approaching the release. I wanna shoot more monsters.

Btw, the specs are out: http://evolvegame.com/news/evolve-pc-specs-revealed

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 12, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

On the bright side, there's no indication that people will be unable to play together with DLC havers. At least not so far. With some luck, the marketing dweebs pulling this poo poo will be gone by the time new maps are due.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There's two articles about DLC on their site now. Here's the short version:

Monster expansion pack (1 monster): $15. -This is free with the pre-order and comes out in the spring.
Hunter DLC (1 hunter): $7.5. -There's 4 of this.
Hunting Season Pass (4 DLC hunters): $25.
Evolve Digital Deluxe Edition (all the above): $80.
The Evolve PC Monster Race Edition (the above + 1 unannounced monster and 2 unannounced hunters): $100.

There's some skins too, but they all look the same to me so I don't care. This poo poo would make a lot more sense and look nowhere near as insidious if they just released an expansion pack with all the extra stuff rolled into it instead of spreading it thin with overpriced DLC.

More importantly though, if you buy any of the special deals and they haven't fixed the snowballing perks system, the game will be dead from new player attrition before you even get your moneys worth. 'Cause it won't be fun if you're outplayed by people with upgrades 3 times as strong as yours.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 14, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Not to derail the hyperbole train, but this example is kind of everything the Evolve dlc isn't.

(apart from the prices of course)

Edit: I'm so loving bummed out reading everyone's negative reactions to this, because I really wanted evolve to do well and maybe prove to game devs that unique game ideas are not a deadly business practice - instead they'll strangle the dlc prices and people will avoid it. A lot of people say this is standard practice for 2k, but I'm not familiar with any other dlc fiascos on their part - is it usually this bad?

XCOM was published by 2K, and its DLC was all over the place. Character customization was ripped out of the core game and turned into pre-order DLC. It had DLC characters, even though it's a game based on randomly generated people you grow attached to and lose at a whim. It wasn't bad, but it didn't make sense for the game either. Bioshock Infinite's first DLC was a combat arena. Bioshock Infinite's weakest part was its combat.:shrug:

I still look forward to playing Evolve. I'm just bummed out by what they're doing to it and with how much harder it'll be to get my RTS obsessed buddy on board.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

There's four modes and a multiplayer campaign that chains them together. Hunt, rescue, defend and nest, which you didn't mention. Nest has the monster protecting a hive from the hunters. It seems like you can pick between them. They'll be on random maps, unless you make a custom match.

The PC beta starts on Friday and lasts through the weekend.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 15, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Stelarch posted:

... The lovely progression system that gives you a +2% damaged can be disabled in lobby if you want. I hate it myself but since I can play with it turned off I don't care.

Woah, woah! Can you disable perks too?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Brackhar posted:

For those of you super against this DLC model, what is your opinion of the way it works in fighting games of the recent years? Street Fighter and BlazBlue, as examples. As far as I can tell it's a similar approach, and maybe a better analogy than MOBAs that do similar things.

I typically stop playing games when DLC comes out, it feels too gettho, like some half-done mod. I realize I'm weird that way though and that all the cool people like DLC now. I prefer my poo poo in big, fat expansion packs that tie properly into the game. So yeah, I had a problem with DLC characters in fighting games like MK9 and Injustice, and I dropped Borderlands 2 when they added some mechromancer lady without putting them her in the intro cutscene. The only reason I'm familiar with XCOM's DLC is that I had no idea what was what when I started the Enemy Within expansion, so I just played through it all.

I have no problem with League of Legends though, bought myself a bunch of champions and skins there. It's different when it's just the way the core game works, and not random side content bolted on to a full product. Evolve's DLC plan is similar to how League adds new champions. I don't mind that part of it, but the value proposition is terrible. League characters are costly too, but at least you can unlock them with ingame currency.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 16, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

V for Vegans posted:

... Do you save a reasonable amount of money?

If you pick up the standard game at 60 bucks, and wait for a Steam sale to get the DLC, you need roughly 45% off on the DLC to break even with what you'd save if you bought a bundle. That goes for both the 80 dollar bundle and the 100 dollar bundle.

It's a fun game, and I don't want to poo-poo all over it and the thread, but I'm getting the $60 one. I'll wait for the DLC to come out before making me mind up about it. There's bound to be an Easter sale or a Summer sale by that time.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 16, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

If you scroll through character select, all the third tier characters are unlocked. Not a lot of people seem to have noticed.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Harminoff posted:

So is this beta going now? I have it downloaded but clicking the play button does nothing. Tried restarting steam.

It's going. I don't know if this is what's happening to you, but a prompt was missing on my first start up. It didn't say anything about the game being installed, and it took 2-3 minutes from clicking play until something started.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, Daisy has a bunch of uses, but following her is your last resort. If you've lost the monster, or if you just started and there's no tracks, Daisy will point you in the right direction.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

You should have something called Evolve [Closed Beta] in your library. It's different from the old Evolve that you installed with the Big Alpha.

On an unrelated note, but I just got the Big Alpha pun. :downsrim:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Oh yeah, the stunlock monsters can deliver is something else. Once you take a punch, you're not getting control back before they stop punching or you're thrown out of range. You'll feel like you can steer and move a little, but you really can't. I suppose monsters need it to handle a crowd.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The role selection is really terrible right now. Monster is my last choice and it's giving it to me over half the time, including just now one time when there were only 4 players in the game, meaning there was an open hunter slot right there.

You'll never have to be the monster if you make a group.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Guest posted:

I've been playing this exclusively with a group of three other friends, and we've been able to beat the majority of wraiths. The trick with wraith is that it's a totally different play style to the goliath and kraken. Unlike with those two, you can beat a wraith whose level 3 with full health and shields. So our strategy has just been to ignore the wraith and let him farm, while we run around killing creatures with buffs etc, and then set up on the power relay and just wait for him to engage on us. As long as nobody screws up their positioning and lets the wraith get a bad grab on them, you can usually win it, but it's still a tough fight. Really you can't play the wraith like the goliath against an organised group. You need to whittle the hunters down by catching them out of position. Basically if the hunters stay in a tight group and position themselves well, the wraith can't win. The wraiths' play style relies on the hunters making mistakes. So yeah, I can imagine it's pretty much impossible to kill it with a disorganised public group.

Won't the buffs run out before he gets to level 3?

I haven't paid much attention to the buffs outside of grabbing what's infront of me. Do they stack or can you only have one active?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

TheNabster posted:

Am I missing something with Lazarus?

Maybe it's something I will get if I played him more but he seems really bad at the whole, medic thing. Bringing people back from the dead is pretty awesome but I thought the point of the Medic class was to keep people alive between and during fights, and not let them die, and Lazarus is really bad at that keeping people alive lark because his only heal is the burst heal and he doesn't have any control abilities like Val, or engaging/escaping abilities like Caira. He has a cloak I guess but so does the support class, so what niche does he fill?

Why should I consider taking Lazarus over Caira or Val?

There's shuttle banter where Cabot does a role call on the other classes and asks how they're holding up. Lazarus is upset when he's referred to as the medic.

\/ I don't know if you can kill them and how would work, but they won't spawn at all under a roof.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 18, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The tiger stripes look pretty cool.

Do you still glow red when you hit full armour? Oh poo poo, that picture was with full armour. You glow orange then?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Dyz posted:

Which is lame because there are some hunters that are almost useless against certain monsters (hyde vs a decent kraken for example).

And Abe is great against a Kraken, because he can ground it with his pokeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

lohli posted:

From the site:

Yes there is one for 15/23/30% improved ability cooldowns.

You can resurrect any wildlife including the big special poo poo like megamouths.

I think that's a monster perk.

• Locked thread