Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 258 days!)

Torka posted:

I didn't draw it I cut it out of some webcomic a person on aim linked me

Oh. Thanks for making me feel like an EVEN BIGGER DORK.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

sorry friend :glomp:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

only the first two hitchugioerk's books are good, at best

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tautologicus posted:

mos def was a good ford prefect but whoever that was absolutely botched zaphod. texas gunslinger? wtf, he was a smooth wisecracker. and i like how they set it up for a sequel even going so far as to say "and there will be a sequel!" and then they never did the sequel.

Liking someone doesn't make them good.

He was a terrible Ford Prefect.

Zaphod was horrible, too.

Actually, every single thing in that movie was terrible and was done better in the HHGG TV series. Coincidentally, the TV series had direct input from Douglas Adams so it was his work. The movie was made after he died and if you know his work at all, it would have never happened in that form. It was nothing like DNA at all. Jokes were completely ruined by people who didn't even understand the joke.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
is that the one where the towel guy and a girl learn to fly like peter pan and have sex up in the clouds

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a starwar betamax posted:

is that the one where the towel guy and a girl learn to fly like peter pan and have sex up in the clouds

That's #4

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
oh what happens in the last one is it the one where the universe ends

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

#5 is the one that they all die sort of.

Then that childrens book author wrote a huge POS that no one liked. I think it is only official in the DNA's wife gave permission to use the characters.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

it's like a reset, where trillian never leaves earth with arthur, so she's just tricia mcmillan. and since arthur didn't leave with her, instead of doing all kinds of adventures, he just goes to some faraway planet and makes sandwiches for the locals. then trillian and her daughter show up from some alternate universe and i forget what happens after that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I thought And Another Thing was alright, never read The Salmon of Doubt

My only complaint was making the insulting immortal guy a main character instead of the best side character ever

Welp thanks for reading

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
whats the name of the sad robot because he reminds me of goons

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

whats the name of the sad robot because he reminds me of goons

marvin..he was the best in the radio plays imo

"sounds dreadful"

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
it wasn't that bad, didn't it have thor? as I remember even the dumb daughter wasn't as bad.
also the dumb bird guide running out of batteries for running 5 parallel universes for 60 years.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DonJNavarro posted:

it wasn't that bad, didn't it have thor? as I remember even the dumb daughter wasn't as bad.

no he's talking about a book outside of the hitchhiker's series. something apparently very bad and i find it hard to believe

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best Douglas Adams book is Last Chance to See.

You either agree, or you haven't read it.

:colbert:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
oh yeah I was mistaken I meant the "6th" book that was traumatizing. its been a long rear end time since I've read the books I forgot it was 5 originals, I think my last copy of all of them was just one large book so thats my excuse.

anyways if you are capable of reading and dont like the actual hitchhikers books you're a soulless shell of a human.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The book Mostly Harmless is the fifth book in the trilogy, and I'm pretty sure it was written by the man himself. As I recall he said something like "I like knowning where all my characters are when I've finished a story" or something like that. And if they're all dead (like they are at the end of mostly harmless) then you know where they are. Dead.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

The book Mostly Harmless is the fifth book in the trilogy, and I'm pretty sure it was written by the man himself. As I recall he said something like "I like knowning where all my characters are when I've finished a story" or something like that. And if they're all dead (like they are at the end of mostly harmless) then you know where they are. Dead.

quote:

And Another Thing...[edit]
Main article: And Another Thing... (novel)
It was announced on 17 September 2008 that the author of Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer, had been commissioned to write the sixth instalment entitled And Another Thing... with the support of Jane Belson, Adams' widow.[20][21]

i only read it because i liked the real ones a lot and the reviews wer elike "best non adams adams book ever possible". seriously horrible.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

oh yeah I was mistaken I meant the "6th" book that was traumatizing. its been a long rear end time since I've read the books I forgot it was 5 originals, I think my last copy of all of them was just one large book so thats my excuse.

anyways if you are capable of reading and dont like the actual hitchhikers books you're a soulless shell of a human.

this one?

quote:

And Another Thing...
Main article: And Another Thing... (novel)

It was announced on 17 September 2008 that the author of Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer, had been commissioned to write the sixth instalment entitled And Another Thing... with the support of Jane Belson, Adams' widow.[20][21]

The story begins as death rays bear down on Earth, and the characters awaken from a virtual reality. Zaphod picks them up shortly before they're killed, but completely fails to escape the death beams. They are then saved by Bowerick Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged, whom they agree to help kill. Zaphod travels to Asgard to get Thor's help. In the meantime, the Vogons are heading to destroy a colony of people who also escaped Earth's destruction, on the planet Nano. Arthur, Wowbagger, Trillian and Random head to Nano to try to stop the Vogons, and on the journey, Wowbagger and Trillian fall in love, making Wowbagger question whether or not he wants to be killed. Zaphod arrives with Thor, who then signs up to be the planet's God. With Random's help, Thor almost kills Wowbagger. Wowbagger, who merely loses his immortality, then marries Trillian.

Thor then stops the first Vogon attack, and apparently dies. Meanwhile, Constant Mown, son of Prostetnic Jeltz, convinces his father that the people on the planet are not citizens of Earth, but are, in fact, citizens of Nano, which means that it would be illegal to kill them. As the book draws to a close, Arthur is on his way to check out a possible university for Random, when, during a hyperspace jump, he is flung across alternate universes, has a brief encounter with Fenchurch, and ends up exactly where he'd want to be. And then the Vogons turn up again.

The book was published by Penguin Books in the UK and Hyperion in the US on 12 October 2009.[20][22]
it does sound dreadful..

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He also said he was bitter about something while writing the book which is why the tone is so different. I forget the exact story.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I mean I literally read it when it came out so I'm a little fuzzy, but if I recall my main problem with the book was the characters were complete bullshit. I felt like the characters were real people in the other books, even if they changed as the years went on (in and out of book), but it felt no different than a person changing in real life. When I read that 6th one it was like , well... trying to write a story about some people that one guy met a few times and was pretending like it was the real deal. Like the actual plot was almost irrelevant, it was about the characters... in all of them

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
link to good marvin scene

http://youtu.be/-eloK4QB6dc?t=1h2m4s

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

He also said he was bitter about something while writing the book which is why the tone is so different. I forget the exact story.

He said he regretted killing everyone at the end of "Mostly Harmless" but he wanted to make exactly sure that the series wouldn't continue ever.

Which is another reason why "...And Another Thing" is so Goddamn tragic.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pirate Jet posted:

He said he regretted killing everyone at the end of "Mostly Harmless" but he wanted to make exactly sure that the series wouldn't continue ever.

Which is another reason why "...And Another Thing" is so Goddamn tragic.

But he said multiple times he wanted to write a sixth book

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

why do nerds like that poo poo

edit: 42 lol

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

evilpicard posted:

not a nerd nerd!Q!!

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

evilpicard posted:

autistic people running memes into the ground doesn't necessarily make the things that originated them bad

portal was a genuinely good game despite "teh cake is a lie!!11" retards not knowing when to stop

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Torka posted:

autistic people running memes into the ground doesn't necessarily make the things that originated them bad

portal was a genuinely good game despite "teh cake is a lie!!11" retards not knowing when to stop

The best thing about Portal is Portal 2.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the build up in the hitchhikers guide to the ultimate answer even being given by the computer was great, he kept it going for at least 10 chapters before this huge letdown. and then the computers had to figure out what the ultimate question was in the first place. it was really well done. anyone using the 42 thing, assuming they have read the books, is reliving that booklong buildup and the anticlimactic answer almost towards the end of the book.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The best thing about Portal is Portal 2.

don't give a poo poo man, not trying to start a video game discussion

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Torka posted:

don't give a poo poo man, not trying to start a video game discussion

you probably like pie anyway

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

they were right to call it a trilogy, books four and five were garbage

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
this sure is some nerd poo poo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

yo uare definitely more of a nerd than I

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
4 was decent but even the man himself couldn't milk the joke any longer

ITS NOT BAD FOR THINGS TO END

TERMINATOR SHOULD HAVE STOPPED ToO

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Actually, every single thing in that movie was terrible and was done better in the HHGG TV series. Coincidentally, the TV series had direct input from Douglas Adams so it was his work. The movie was made after he died and if you know his work at all, it would have never happened in that form. It was nothing like DNA at all. Jokes were completely ruined by people who didn't even understand the joke.

I dunno, according to wikipedia and other things I've read, a lot of the changes were based on what DNA wanted to do.

"The script we shot was very much based on the last draft that Douglas wrote.... All the substantive new ideas in the movie ... are brand new Douglas ideas written especially for the movie by him.... Douglas was always up for reinventing HHGG in each of its different incarnations and he knew that working harder on some character development and some of the key relationships was an integral part of turning HHGG into a movie."

Yeah it still sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Im glad hes dead

• Locked thread