Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

quote:

A young programmer is selected to participate in a breakthrough experiment in artificial intelligence by evaluating the human qualities of a breathtaking female A.I.

Written and directed by Alex Garland

Starring: Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, Alicia Vikander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20dZiTWf1E

I hadn't heard anything about this, but the trailer just dropped today and it looks promising. Alex Garland wrote 28 Days Later (which I loved) and Sunshine (which I loved until Freddy Krueger starts loving poo poo up in the final act). Of course, those movies were helped immensely by Danny Boyle's direction, and this will be Garland's directorial debut.

Judging from the trailer, we're in for a claustrophobic, cerebral, aesthetically pleasing film. It'll be interesting to see what Garland is able to do at the helm.

Is anyone else getting Human Revolution vibes from the music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Garland is also responsible for Dredd being the awesome movie it is. That movie sticks extremely close to his script, and he produced and basically ghost directed chunks of it. He has a really strong grasp of story structure and efficient storytelling, so I'm pretty excited for this one.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Alex Garland is a good writer, and I like the third act of Sunshine a lot. He also wrote Dredd, which due to the creative team involved (the cinematographer, and I think the editor are Boyle mainstays) too me felt like if Danny Boyle made a superhero movie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey they're ripping off The Machine!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2317225/

:(

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Hey they're ripping off The Machine!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2317225/

:(

The Machine was kind of standard for a lot of its length, but my god the last 10 minutes or so are amazing. Especially the last scene.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Alex Garland is a good writer, and I like the third act of Sunshine a lot. He also wrote Dredd, which due to the creative team involved (the cinematographer, and I think the editor are Boyle mainstays) too me felt like if Danny Boyle made a superhero movie.

For me, the third act of Sunshine is fine in a vacuum, but it was such a jarring tonal shift that it made the entire movie feel really weird to me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

il serpente cosmico posted:

For me, the third act of Sunshine is fine in a vacuum, but it was such a jarring tonal shift that it made the entire movie feel really weird to me.

Then you did not understand Sunshine... rewatch the movie, paying particular attention to Searle and Pinbacker, and understand that it's the only way it could have gone.

After which, rewatch 28 Days Later (and The Beach) and realize that Danny Boyle (and Alex Garland) loves drastic third acts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you feel the third act of Sunshine is the only way it could have gone, then I think you're kind of lacking in imagination.

I truly do appreciate the ambition of Pinbacker as the literal personification of the Sun/God wanting to destroy its creation, and humanity/Capa giving God the middle finger. Echoes of "I want more life, fucker" from Blade Runner, made even more clear in the cut "I don't believe in God" scene. However, the execution leaves much to be desired.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I never got the hate for the end of Sunshine. Yes, it's a tonal shift. That's not necessarily a bad thing. God, the scene where Icarus tells Capa there's an extra person on board is so drat chilling. Plus Chris Evans' characters' redemption happens then. It's great.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Judging from the trailer, we're in for a claustrophobic, cerebral, aesthetically pleasing film. It'll be interesting to see what Garland is able to do at the helm.
The trailer feels extremely iffy to me. As in, I would hope that in YOL 2014, an organisation overseeing an experiment 'evaluating the human qualities of a breathtaking female A.I.' would think to include some actual living women on the oversight team.

Right now, it's definitely in the 'wtf' territory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mr. unhsib posted:

I never got the hate for the end of Sunshine. Yes, it's a tonal shift. That's not necessarily a bad thing. God, the scene where Icarus tells Capa there's an extra person on board is so drat chilling. Plus Chris Evans' characters' redemption happens then. It's great.

I don't like it because it takes the sweeping and grandiose visuals of Sunshine's first half -- the sheer size and omnipresence of the Sun, fixing the heat shield, the leap from the Icarus I, and turns it into a much smaller feeling corridor slasher for a while. The film had done a really good job up to that point of raising the ante and reinforcing the enormity of the crew's mission, and it felt like those high stakes just completely dropped off as humans run away from a crazed maniac with a knife, in space. I get that Boyle was trying to personify the Sun as an angry God and Pinbacker was the vessel for that, but I think it could have done without silly hallway chases and picking off crew members one by one. Some tighter pacing in the final act would have also helped things move along faster so that the tonal shift wasn't quite so jarring to people. Again, I appreciate the ambition, but sometimes things can fail ambitiously.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That trailer looks pretty good, I've been a fan of Garland since The Beach, really and everything he's been involved with I've enjoyed so far.

mr. unhsib posted:

God, the scene where Icarus tells Capa there's an extra person on board is so drat chilling.
I love Sunshine to bits and that scene is really great because it comes from nowhere. The person being Pinbacker is a tiny bit goofy but kind of works and the scene where the bomb goes off and Capa is stuck in time between the explosion and the surface of the sun is a cool-rear end moment. I highly recommend getting the dvd/blu-ray as it has a pretty nice commentary track by Brian Cox (physicist, not the actor) who was also the science consultant on the movie and he talks about astrophysics a whole lot.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mr. unhsib posted:

I would strongly disagree that Chris Evan' character was redeemed as he did nothing wrong in the first place. He was consistently a good man in a terrible situation always putting the mission - humanity's continued existence - ahead of anything, including his own life. And let's face it, if they'd listened to him all through, we would have had a nice little film of gorgeous sun shots, a successful mission with zero casualties, and party time beers all round on the flight home, fini. :colbert:

As for this, I like the general concept but that trailer gives way too much away, some of it not promising.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Yeah you're right, it was more like, Evans' character arc went to its inevitable, satisfying conclusion.

The visuals argument - I don't know. It was for like, a few minutes and there were still plenty of great visuals in the climax (Capa doing the spacewalk to the bomb, the explosion itself, etc).

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Sentinel Red posted:

As for this, I like the general concept but that trailer gives way too much away, some of it not promising.

Yeah.. I hate to use spoiler tags for a trailer, but I honestly feel like it's a necessity here.

Is there any possible explanation for him cutting himself open at the end, other than that he's the AI being tested? My only hope is that it's intentional misdirection or something the audience learns extremely early on.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Loutre posted:

Yeah.. I hate to use spoiler tags for a trailer, but I honestly feel like it's a necessity here.

Is there any possible explanation for him cutting himself open at the end, other than that he's the AI being tested? My only hope is that it's intentional misdirection or something the audience learns extremely early on.

This would be pretty funny considering he only just played an AI recently, in that Black Mirror episode :v:.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Sweet, it's the dude who played Standard Gabriel in "Drive."

Will see.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Loutre posted:

Could be a nightmare sequence?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

IMB posted:

Sweet, it's the dude who played Standard Gabriel in "Drive."

Will see.

Yeah aside from Alex Garland and the potential for some serious twists and philosophy, the actor choices are great.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Saw this last night at the director's screening.

It's a modest, good-looking and well acted bit of science fiction, and easily worth checking out. That said it's not really breaking any new philosophical ground on whether artificial intelligence is conscious or not. Feels like it's retreading the same arguments Blade Runner did better thirty years ago. It's got a loving grrrrreat ending though.

I've reviewed it here: http://www.londoncitynights.com/2014/12/ex-machina-2015-directed-by-alex-garland.html

If anyone wants to know anything I'll happily give vague, spoilered answers.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Saw this last night at the director's screening.

It's a modest, good-looking and well acted bit of science fiction, and easily worth checking out. That said it's not really breaking any new philosophical ground on whether artificial intelligence is conscious or not. Feels like it's retreading the same arguments Blade Runner did better thirty years ago. It's got a loving grrrrreat ending though.

I've reviewed it here: http://www.londoncitynights.com/2014/12/ex-machina-2015-directed-by-alex-garland.html

If anyone wants to know anything I'll happily give vague, spoilered answers.

"I really hope this deserves to find its audience"

Did you perhaps intend to write "I really hope this finds its deserved audience?" As written it's confusing. You saw it, does it deserve to find it or not?

Otherwise good review. Knowing the thematic twist makes it much more appealing to me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

"I really hope this deserves to find its audience"

Did you perhaps intend to write "I really hope this finds its deserved audience?" As written it's confusing. You saw it, does it deserve to find it or not?

Otherwise good review. Knowing the thematic twist makes it much more appealing to me.

Ta for spotting the typo.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Saw this today and thought is was truly terrific. Oscar Isaac and Alicia Vikander both absolutely knock it out of the park with their performances. The script is tight and exceedingly well constructed.

I agree that it's not breaking any new ground philosophically in movies (Blade Runner most obviously, though it isn't a direct ripoff of the themes of that by any means), but it's rare where a film nails everything it goes for dead on like this does.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Caught this tonight, it was pretty solid, my initial misgiving about a man creating a female AI as being something of a sci fi cliche was actually a point of discussion in itself which was refreshing to see.
Oscar Isaac's bullying, manipulative alpha hipster was skin crawlingly wonderful to see, And it was interesting to see Domnhall Gleeson playing the opposite of the first role i remember him in, which was the episode of Black Mirror where he is resurrected as an android with an AI built up from his social media posts before he died.

As for the stuff in spoiler text above, I thought it was pretty clear that He was suddenly worried that he might also be an AI and had to check he was actually flesh and blood

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Caught this on Wednesday knowing very little about it. I thought it was fantastic - a really solid little film that sits somewhere between Her and Under The Skin. It probably won't be as revered as Moon but I think it'll have the same kind of longevity in terms of tribute posters etc. (plus tons of horrible Ava fanfic).

I agree that he cut himself to check if he was an A.I. or not. It's also kinda lovely that the trailer shows that Kyoko is an A.I. It's one of the first things I guessed but, still, it's a fairly significant reveal.

Oscar Isaac was great. Am I right in thinking there were a touches of Steve Jobs to his look / performance? His dance sequence was phenomenal too (not a major spoiler but it's way better if you don't know it's coming).

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
I deliberately avoided trailers and reviews so I could go into this blind. Overall I thought it was solid but not spectacular. I guess part of my problem was that I never found the question of whether or not Ava was sentient/'human' that interesting - she plainly does have feelings (or at least projects such a good facsimile of them as to render the issue moot). Was more interested in what dramatic payoff the movie was slowly building to. I did like the (major spoiler) ending where Ava walks out leaving Caleb imprisoned. The fact that she had been manipulating him all along was an interesting touch. It does beg the question of what happens after the credits roll: what happens when Nathan's absence eventually prompts someone to investigate and what does Ava actually do once she's out in the world?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I deliberately avoided trailers and reviews so I could go into this blind. Overall I thought it was solid but not spectacular. I guess part of my problem was that I never found the question of whether or not Ava was sentient/'human' that interesting - she plainly does have feelings (or at least projects such a good facsimile of them as to render the issue moot). Was more interested in what dramatic payoff the movie was slowly building to. I did like the (major spoiler) ending where Ava walks out leaving Caleb imprisoned. The fact that she had been manipulating him all along was an interesting touch. It does beg the question of what happens after the credits roll: what happens when Nathan's absence eventually prompts someone to investigate and what does Ava actually do once she's out in the world?

Blade Runner happens after the credits roll.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

I did like the (major spoiler) ending where Ava walks out leaving Caleb imprisoned. The fact that she had been manipulating him all along was an interesting touch. It does beg the question of what happens after the credits roll: what happens when Nathan's absence eventually prompts someone to investigate and what does Ava actually do once she's out in the world?
I can only assume that she'll shut down at some point. I'm sure she said during the film that she charges her batteries from a kind of induction charging grid in the floor of the complex (which is how she can cause the power cuts) - so her batteries will have to run out at some point.

Seraphiel
Mar 29, 2012
Saw it the other day and loved it , but I've always been a huge Alex Garland fanboy.

As someone who did an MSc in AI, it was refreshing. I feel like in other movies, a cognitive neuroscientist and a post-doc AI researcher might be having a discussion where the chinese room is brought up, with one asking what it is and the other explaining (for the sake of the audience).

Here, with Caleb as the stereotypical smart young man, when he starts piping up about Phil 101 stuff or Tech Talk Nathan basically shuts him down "Oppenheimer... ya, I know dude". Nathan Owns.

Interview with Alex Garland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ES1G4hBSA

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I absolutely loved this film from start to finish.

I think the fact that beardy oval office was talking about how the next model was going to be the breakthrough was about the fact that Ava quite clearly has no empathy. She's intelligent, emotional, manipulative but quite clearly from the ending has no ability to be empathetic or maybe no interest in the well being of others. She was essentially a psychopath, only out for her own interests. One step away from being fully human.

One wee quibble, skinny bloke says that he's set the blackouts to mean that the doors are all open rather than locked and yet at the end when the power shuts down the doors have been reverted back to their original programing. Any clue on why that was?

Great film.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Seraphiel posted:

Saw it the other day and loved it , but I've always been a huge Alex Garland fanboy.

As someone who did an MSc in AI, it was refreshing. I feel like in other movies, a cognitive neuroscientist and a post-doc AI researcher might be having a discussion where the chinese room is brought up, with one asking what it is and the other explaining (for the sake of the audience).

Here, with Caleb as the stereotypical smart young man, when he starts piping up about Phil 101 stuff or Tech Talk Nathan basically shuts him down "Oppenheimer... ya, I know dude". Nathan Owns.

Interview with Alex Garland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ES1G4hBSA

Sounds like Blindsight.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Enjoyed this a lot. I especially liked that it was so simple and stripped down, focusing on the characters as much as possible. We get to the Nathan's home very quickly and get stuck into his relationship with Caleb straight away.
I guess I liked that more than the Turing test ideas, as I felt they were almost a diversion from the real important stories, Nathan -> Caleb and Ava -> Caleb. The makers of the film must have been annoyed when the press reported that the TT had been passed last year, who wants SCI-FI thats less advanced than real life!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

One wee quibble, skinny bloke says that he's set the blackouts to mean that the doors are all open rather than locked and yet at the end when the power shuts down the doors have been reverted back to their original programing. Any clue on why that was?

The power went down for a brief period, which Caleb had used to get Ava out of her room - just past that one door. From there, he was going to use his own card to get them both out of the building. I presumed he left the system to set the doors back to normal when the power came back up so that Nathan didn't notice straight away. Its all just to get past the door that has Ava locked inside

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mr. unhsib posted:

Yeah. i love Sunshine and don't think the ending deserves as much poo poo as it gets. The execution could have been a little better, but it's still one of my favorite sci fi films of all time regardless.

I'd really like to see this as I like everything I've ever seen from Garland. it's not playing anywhere near me though. Will it be available to stream anywhere?

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
I watched this on a whim because I had a free movie ticket and now I'm really glad I did. Doubly so that I didn't have a chance to get spoiled by the trailer - I don't think they're even showing ads for the movie here in Finland. I certainly haven't seen any.

Such a good movie. I really like how it doesn't waste any time in the beginning and instead just kind of plunged headfirst into the plot.

ChrisXP posted:

Enjoyed this a lot. I especially liked that it was so simple and stripped down, focusing on the characters as much as possible. We get to the Nathan's home very quickly and get stuck into his relationship with Caleb straight away.
I guess I liked that more than the Turing test ideas, as I felt they were almost a diversion from the real important stories, Nathan -> Caleb and Ava -> Caleb. The makers of the film must have been annoyed when the press reported that the TT had been passed last year, who wants SCI-FI thats less advanced than real life!?

The power went down for a brief period, which Caleb had used to get Ava out of her room - just past that one door. From there, he was going to use his own card to get them both out of the building. I presumed he left the system to set the doors back to normal when the power came back up so that Nathan didn't notice straight away. Its all just to get past the door that has Ava locked inside

Didn't he also mention that he intended to lock Nathan in his room so he couldn't go after them, or am I misremembering?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
The real question my friends and I can't figure out:

Is the film attacking the male gaze or supporting it? It shows lots and lots of nude women or objectified women, BUT at the end Ava doesn't even look at the nerd, she simply walks away. And the film makes it seem initially like she's putting on skin and hair for him in the bearded guy's bedroom, but then she walks away and it turns out she was just doing it to escape. So I think it really does try to overturn the male gaze.

Also I think her first drawing is of the structure of her brain. She felt compelled to draw it, but didn't know what it is, then halfway through the film they zoom in on the structured gel and it's the same expanding tesseract pattern.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As much as I did enjoy this film on a depictive and technical level, I'm a little disappointed at the rather prosaic "killer robot" theme/ending. It's done well here, and her leaving Caleb at the end was a great twist that was intelligibly built up through the course of the story...but it's not new. And as much as it makes Ava seem more devious and cunning, it also makes her seem less intelligent for the fact that her chances of survival are way, way slimmer without Caleb to help her. I mean, she'll probably do fine on a social level, but it's actually the physical aspect of being a robot that she's completely unprepared for.

Someone mentioned that she might not have any way to recharge, but that's really only the most immediate problem she faces and not the most insidious. Movies have this notion that synthetic beings are so much more durable and long-lived than organic beings, but the opposite is in fact true. What's the one thing that humans can do that robots can't? Heal. If I get a little cut on my skin, I can basically just leave it alone and it'll be gone in a day, maybe even less. If Ava gets a cut on her skin...it's there forever unless she replaces that portion of her skin or can otherwise mend it somehow. No matter how careful she is (and it doesn't even seem like she has any sort of pain response so I can't imagine she's all that careful), tiny blemishes like that will accumulate over time from the simple reality of existence until she's nothing but a mass of physical defects.

On top of any obvious dangers, she has to be wary of things that wouldn't be an obvious threat to people but just might be a big threat to walking talking smartphones. Is she waterproof? How well does her newfound skin handle temperature variations? And that's just on the surface. How durable is her internal framework? What are her motors made of? Adamantium? The simple act of walking long distances will create structural strain over time. Not saying she's gonna fall part into pieces after a week or something, but she's not gonna enjoy people-watching for long without some way to perform maintenance on herself within a relatively short timeframe.

[/absurd oversperging about androids]

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 21, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

[/absurd oversperging about androids]

I get that you're oversperging, but the film is a bluntly feminist liberation tale. So, The dominant male characters must necessarily be shed for the politics to work.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Somehow this is playing for one night here in Greenville, SC. I'm pretty pumped because we barely ever get limited releases.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is a confusion I hear a lot and I think it is a story telling misstep. The red lights show up for two reasons in the move: power outage and bad scans. So that last time he scans the card and everything turns read and the monitors show "rejected" but you don't hear the power outage voice. So that last red flash is not a power out.

What I like about the film is that it is so intimate. Ava is a reflection of her creator. He was jerk and therefore created a monster. He wanted to create a living thing but he doesn't value those around him. He doesn't really treat Caleb or Ava as if they are individuals with their own intrinsic value. This is how he ends up with Ava as the one to test. Previous models demanded freedom and either became depressed or enrage when it was repeatedly denied. Ava is the one who's will to survive is channeled towards cunning. Therefore, I think this movie works not as a statement about AI in general, but instead how the act of creation reflects the nature of the creator.

(edited for clarity)

iron_weasel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How to watch mo-vay?

• Locked thread