Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

its not about the speed bro, its about the fun

like the fun of imagining going fast

doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds is for showoff muscle car jocks who don't understand the purity of sports cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

justice4trayvawn posted:

i live in a city of 3 million ppl and never use 4wd or tow haha get mad idiot

I hate with the power of a thousand burning sons

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Viggen posted:

jesus miata ownership is like national coming out day or something? where the gently caress did you all appear from?

:gay:

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
small truck owners seem to use them for their intended purpose and have cool stickers of deer skulls and local rock stations

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

ArbitraryC posted:

2. When they're helping you move anything too big for your sedan.

You could always buy a wag-BAHAHAHANsorry I cant finish this because wagons are so loving hideous.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

TEAYCHES posted:

toyata makes good cars too and its a shame about their recent fuckups

toyota is like mini in that they would do a better business with half the selection. or is there a hidden subculture of avalon fanatics im not aware of

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

I hate with the power of a thousand burning sons

3.26 inches btw :smug:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

the culminator posted:

Ai has really convinced me that whenever im done with my wrx im getting a miata. Sounds fun as hell

is your wrx breaking down or something? thats a much more expensive (and faster) car

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Also lol at people thinking trucks are slow. If I'm not hauling anything and I floor it I get a hardon from the raw power and acceleration.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

Also lol at people thinking trucks are slow. If I'm not hauling anything and I floor it I get a hardon from the raw power and acceleration.

i literally traded a 2014 bmw for my truck n have no regrets

ecoboost gives me a lil small dick boner

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

justice4trayvawn posted:

3.26 inches btw :smug:

Bigger than I thought :gizz:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

Times people don't make fun of pickup owners:

1. When they're towing your rear end to a mechanic because it didn't start after work and you only have to buy them a beer for it to be square.
2. When they're helping you move anything too big for your sedan.

times ppl make fun of pickup owners:

1. literally anything else they are doing 99% of the time

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

Carol Pizzamom posted:

is your wrx breaking down or something? thats a much more expensive (and faster) car

Its not, but im saying if i ever decide to get rid of it i might try a miata out. Or maybe get my gf to buy one

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

who makes fun of people for driving one car or another? is your life really so horrific that--

nevermind

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

f-150s of a similar year are about as slow as a miata dude

there are supertrucks that are fast as gently caress, and they're awesome as hell and own, but you do not own one

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

anything you think is cool about pickup owners can be accomplished by a reasonable annual tribute to AAA

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

IMMA TAKE MY SUV UP COUNTRY

GOTTA PLACE WHERE THERE IS BURL

GONNA GET ME SOME BURL!

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

the culminator posted:

Its not, but im saying if i ever decide to get rid of it i might try a miata out. Or maybe get my gf to buy one

its a great project car, if you feel like doing something insane, you can turn a miata into something that will obliterate 99% of noobs who think they have a good car around a track or in a striaght line if you opt for a swap

of course that costs months of time and like, 15 grand

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Peanut President posted:

who makes fun of people for driving one car or another? is your life really so horrific that--

nevermind

honestly, consciously deciding to spend $40k+ on a car as stupid as a pickup truck (for 99% of people) says a lot about you as a person imo

i shall judge with impunity

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

the great thing about cars, is you can talk poo poo, but ultimately you're talking about cars and it doesn't matter

its a good poo poo talking subject

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

LifeSizePotato posted:

honestly, consciously deciding to spend $40k+ on a car as stupid as a pickup truck (for 99% of people) says a lot about you as a person imo

i shall judge with impunity

oh are we talking like brand new f-150s here?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

i just scratched my nuts and my hand smells like rear end sweat. really. here have a whiff

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Viggen posted:

i just scratched my nuts and my hand smells like rear end sweat. really. here have a whiff

he's right, it does.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

my piece of poo poo 20 year old dakota is great and this thread is offending me greatly

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I made this thread because i read a list of top selling cars in the us for 2013 and was 100 sure #1 would be something like a civic or a camry or stuff like that. But it was like 3 straight pickups.

Half of the top 20 was pickups i was just suprised i didnt know they sold THAT many

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Carol Pizzamom posted:

f-150s of a similar year are about as slow as a miata dude

there are supertrucks that are fast as gently caress, and they're awesome as hell and own, but you do not own one
I mean I don't know much about cars I'm just going off personal experience. I drive two lane highways a lot and I've overtaken a ton of what I would consider sportier cars who clearly tried to accelerate with me. The ranger is pretty light but has a really powerful engine, it can tow like twice it's tonnage so if you got nothing but a couple sandbags for traction that thing can haul rear end.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Well, for a while if you wanted to buy American transportation, you had some cool bikes and some alright pickups, and basically nothing else, so thats what people got. Most people didn't get bikes because it's just not convenient, also they are afraid of death or something.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Viggen posted:

jesus miata ownership is like national coming out day or something? where the gently caress did you all appear from?

look at this nub thinking a miata is anything but the best two seater money can buy

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the culminator posted:

I made this thread because i read a list of top selling cars in the us for 2013 and was 100 sure #1 would be something like a civic or an accord or stuff like that. But it was like 3 straight pickups.

Half of the top 20 was pickups i was just suprised i didnt know they sold THAT many

americans buy pickups because the roads here are so lovely you can't drive a real car on them anymore THANKS OBAMA

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the culminator posted:

I made this thread because i read a list of top selling cars in the us for 2013 and was 100 sure #1 would be something like a civic or an accord or stuff like that. But it was like 3 straight pickups.

thats probably because lots of businesses (especially the construction industry) buy huge fleets of f-150s or silverados as company vehicles. like if you go to a chain hotel in a small to mid size town its always packed with identically marked pickup trucks

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
actually its bc trucks are cool and gas is cheap

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean I don't know much about cars I'm just going off personal experience. I drive two lane highways a lot and I've overtaken a ton of what I would consider sportier cars who clearly tried to accelerate with me. The ranger is pretty light but has a really powerful engine, it can tow like twice it's tonnage so if you got nothing but a couple sandbags for traction that thing can haul rear end.

You can turn a truck into a preposterously powerful car, and the current fastest 'street legal' drag car in america is a (extremely modified) truck, but no you are not going to win against a real sports car like a Z or a new porsche. You can probably beat some luxury sedans??

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

americans buy pickups because the roads here are so lovely you can't drive a real car on them anymore THANKS OBAMA
This is actually also a big one for me, not so much in the city I live in now but my previous one had like constant renovations and potholes and poo poo everywhere and you'd basically spend half a half mile drive bouncing over poo poo. Pretty much everyone in a sedan they brought from seattle had to get repairs for a bunch of alignment and suspension issues but my then 90's pathfinder just chugged along flawlessly. I sorta get making GBS threads on clunkier 4wd vehicles if you live in a flat city and never leave it, but I don't really get the hate when they're so god drat useful outside that narrow context.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I use my 14 year old f150 to haul scaffolding and sand blasting equipment for work. My neighbor got a new yellow f250 with a lift kit with Tonka written on the back. He doesn't haul poo poo.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

now if they made a miata with a suspension...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

justice4trayvawn posted:

actually its bc trucks are cool and gas is cheap

Look at this kid.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gas is only 3 dollars gee whiz that's cheap!! *velcros sneakers*

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Ford Ranger guy: Is yours a thunderbolt? Those are pretty fast

Like I said most awesome performance trucks are modded that way, but ford has made a couple that come from the factory pretty beastly on pavement.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have a truck and a jeep. I'm powerfully self sufficient.

The people I hate are the wives of men that drive their huge lifted trucks or giant SUVs that seat 8 but they are the only ones in it, while the man is commuting to work in a compact because gas. At least that's how I explain it to myself. Seriously, why are all the 35-50 year old women around here in massive trucks and SUV's by themselves and always in the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I drive a 2011 Subaru WRX, hello ladies!

(its a hatchback and it can hold a hell of alot of poo poo if I put the read seats down)

• Locked thread