Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm excited for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

How practical is it to max out everything for everyone?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

loquacius posted:

Man, I forgot how good the enemy design was in this game :allears:

A lot of the enemies are originally from the NES-era games. They just got art upgrades for the PS2.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The horrible puns are an essential part of the DQ experience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Four is definitely my favorite; something about it just hits all the right notes for me. And it definitely is more character-driven than most of the other installments; by the time you get to the main character, you've already experienced the backstories of your entire cast

Plus it has Taloon. This automatically makes it the best.

This.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Do you like controlling your guys? Then play the DS remake. They added plenty of things to the DS remake to flesh out party members and settle out the difficulty curve that I'd recommend the DS version over the NES.

However, if you want to hate the party members AI for casting Beat on a boss, then go with the NES version and really enjoy that nostalgic fury.

There's a Game Genie code that lets you control your party on the NES version. If you don't mind turning that on, you can get around those issues.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I wonder if there's a drinking game in the DQ8 world that involves eating things that come out of an alchemy pot knowing full well what went in.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Or maybe it's not that the AI changes moves, but the AI doesn't pick until it's that character's turn to act?

It's probably this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SatansOnion posted:

On the bright side, watching the Tsarevna being all I CAST FOOT on everything in her path is pretty :dance:

The trailer would've been better if it was just seven minutes of this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Major_JF posted:

I am just wondering Why OFS didn't just just warp back to the priest with his infinite zoom casting hat instead of fleeing from the battles.

It's Dragon Quest. You can't just go running back to a priest every time one of your characters gets killed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Alacron posted:

I'm not quite sure when Dragon Quest games became such a dumping ground of terrible puns, but god if I don't love that poo poo. :allears:

I recall at least one groaner in the English release of DQ2.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

What's a Slime with three eyes? Sliiime!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

That said, DW4 on the NES is an arguable case for grinding considering that your entire party is AI controlled no matter what and yes I'd be able to beat this boss at this level if KirylCristo would just stop loving casting ThwackDefeat and loving heal the party! :argh::argh::argh:

I've probably mentioned this before, but there's a game genie code that lets you manually control your party. It's a big improvement over the AI and really makes the game a lot more pleasant.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Silegna posted:

There's also a really good LP of it in the archive. I'd link but impossible on phone.

Here. Definitely recommended reading.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A lot of the monster designs in this game, that one included, date back to the original NES games. It's a nice trip down memory lane.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm putting my vote in for Memento Morrie.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It was the only one to get a strong reaction out of me, more than a chuckle anyways.

Granted the reaction was "goddammit" but, still. Dragon Quest, puns.

Yay! I'm helping!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think I could ever forgive myself if I don't. Hell, I wouldn't mind showing off a lot of those extra-goofy crews.

Is there any serious obstacle to picking up all of the possible monsters?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't remember much about this game, but this part is still pretty clear.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's very brown.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think the dungeon's meant to be a bit of a breather before you go up against Don Mole. I get the impression he can be a roadblock if you don't know what you're doing with your buffs and your multi-target attacks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

He's a jester. Why wouldn't he want to perform for an audience?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

We're just kitten around.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ah yes, that scene. It's quite memorable.

This is where I quit, so everything past here is new to me. Looking forward to finally seeing it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Even horses that aren't assholes are incredibly large and incredibly stupid. That's a bad combo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Just Yangus COR BLIMEY right there always killing me.

I don't think that'll ever get old.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Neurion posted:

I curse this in every game it happens. Final Fantasy V :argh:

I used to feel that way, but then I realized how often late game enemies use the various level-based attacks, and now I don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some jerk did the math over a decade ago and found this beats the house on average. We have a greater than 50% chance to get a positive payout.

Pedantic, but I have to point out that neither of these two statements implies the other. The multipliers are what make the expected payout positive, and if they were smaller by enough you'd have a better than 50% probability of winning not quite enough to offset your losses.

• Locked thread