Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Overture

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is a lot of firsts for the series. The first Playstation 2 entry, the first fully 3D entry, the first to feature voice acting, and the first to actually be localized under the name "Dragon Quest". It's also an incredible game. It's beautiful to see, the scoring is excellent, and the gameplay itself surprisingly deep. It is easily one of the finest, most charming RPGs around, and I hope to show you why.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35

Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43

Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49

Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
BONUS CONTENT:
Chapter 47? (April Fools)

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 2, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Intermezzo

This is the closest to an official name DQ8's hero has. The game's voice acting will brush right past it.

Your quest has begun!

The game proper opens with this mouse witnessing a plume of smoke from the town in the distance.

He decides it is high time to go back.

Go Topo Go!!

Once in the clearing, he encounters this... strange troll... thing?

Regardless, it regards the mouse with annoyance.

And he snuggles right into the hero's pocket, right as one of our travelling companions speaks up.

"Let's 'ead inta town. There's better places than this to spend an evenin'! Shake a leg, guv!"

Meet Yangus, the most obvious evidence this game was localized in England.

The only real kink with the controls is that triangle is cancel and circle is the menu, which is the reverse of a lot of other playstation JRPGs.

X is still the general "do thing" button, though.

Such as pointlessly smashing barrels. 83% of this LP by volume will be smashing barrels.

The remaining is split between smashing pots and the rest of the video game.

Video covered in screenshots!

"What would you know? A lowlife like you wouldn't recognize nobility if it came up and bit you on the... arrrgh!"

Trode and Yangus stare angrily until...

The search turns up nothing until...

Suddenly, slimes!

War Cry

Slimes are Enix's mascot, and serve as early-game fodder in every Dragon Quest game. VIII is no different. They possess a weak 10 attack and no spells or special abilities to help. 0 evasion, drop Medicinal Herb at 1/32 rates and Amor Seco Essence at 1/64 rates.

In short they're no match and usually die in one hit.

Enemies seem to have slightly fluctuating HP, which doesn't usually matter. Slimes having 6-7 HP when you're hitting for 6-7 is one of three places you'll really ever see it.

Attacking is our only option, since we lack spells or abilities and every other option would just prolong the fight.

When attacking a target with just too much defense, the attack deals 0 or 1. You can theoretically chip away or get chipped.

1 experience point and 1 gold each.

How fortunate! Medicinal Herbs recover 30 HP to one character.

Back to business, looking for the princess.

Suddenly, a horse with a beautiful white coat walks in.

So uh apparently this horse is the princess.

"I say we make a move now, before it gets dark."

Video ends here.

Opening credits. Video covered in screenshots.

We're treated to the opening credits during the trip to town. You may know Akira Toriyama from Dragonball Z, and you can tell there seems to be only so many hairstyles the guy knows.

Well, once we see characters who aren't wearing hats, are bald, or are horses.

The group enters the town of Farebury.

Two guys and a goblin thing come riding in this small town?

You know that's going to cause quite the stir.

Video ends here.

"This is the town where Master Rylus lives."
"Hold your 'orses, grandad! I thought it was Dhoulmagus we was after."

"But that dastardly magician can't hide from us forever! We must track him down, and lift this confounded curse! Oh, just look at my poor Medea! And we'd only just settled on her engagement to the prince of Argonia... Oh, that dispicable Dhoulmagus!"

Nah.

"There's every chance Rylus will be able to give us a clue as to Dhoulmagus's whereabouts. That's why you must find him. I'll be waiting for you here."

A Peaceful Town

DQ8 is stuck in having very limited save options, but the only penalty for a game over is losing half of your money, so it's a wash.

Farebury has two points of interest- lens flares everywhere as it's evening, and this burnt-down building. This is where that plume of smoke the mouse saw came from.

Let's go shopping! Armor shops are denoted by this red-and-white shield icon.

It seems our budget is nothing at all.

And none of the stuff we have on us except for weapons sells for much.

The answer, then, is ransacking. You find so many useful items by pilfering in every corner of every town.

The inn's gotta have a lot of stuff to plunder!

Well that's disappointing. Usually any time there's a group of breakable things like this at least one has an item.

Upstairs, a man complains about a local fortune-teller being really bad at his job.

Hey maybe you should just accept it and stop blaming him for telling the truth.

I think.

Bookcases don't have swag in them, but they sometimes have information. Sometimes.

Holy Water decreases the random encounter rate temporarily when used. Useful if you need to make a hasty getaway when low on resources, or just when you get tired of random encounters.

Not exactly useful since it's what Eight has equipped already and Yangus's starting armor is 1 point better, but it still sells for 15 gold.

Chimera Wings, when used, transport the party to any previously-visited town. They can only be used outside, and right now the only place we have is Farebury.

Eight always picks out the green leaning book on the second row and flips a few pages. He's good at picking out the juicy stuff.

I think I'll make it a point to get these chests, especially since guides on the internet exist for finding them.

It ain't Dragon Quest without finding a stick, though Eight's default sword is slightly stronger.

Even sacks on the wall aren't safe from our rummaging.

B-but Yangus is missing a hit point! Oh well, we'll have to see about that missing HP later.

Item shops have this feather icon. They're worth seeing just to make sure you have adequate restoratives.

In this case, yeah, yeah we do. Antidotal Herbs restore Poison. We'll find a few from plundering.

We can sell the spare set of clothes to bolster the war chest, though.

Apparently a jester came and went before we got here. The townspeople were more creeped out by him than amused.

Churches are the aforementioned save points.

Healing Power of the Psalms

The music is great too.

Confesssion labels itself as the save option. Divination tells you how much EXP until the next level, which isn't a very handy feature that often. It does tell us that Yangus requires a bit less experience than Eight to level up, though.

The priest is in back. We ask him about our man.

Apparently, something's happened with Rylus, though it's put everyone on edge.

'The great wizard finally reached Farebury after a long and arduous journey. Welcoming such a great sage into our town is a truly unparalleled honour. Long may the sage and his descendants stay in the town of Farebury! Huzzah!'

One item in the church is rummage-proof. I only feel mildly bad about taking everything not nailed down from a church.

For example, this pot lid. It may not seem like it's much, because it isn't. But it's a shield for Yangus where he has none so it'll do.

This update is long enough, so that's it for now. Next time is more Farebury.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 31, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nihilarian posted:

Sorry if this is kinda :spergin:, but is this supposed to be something like "When slimes attack a target with too much defense, the attack does 0 or 1 damage"? Does that mean mean no other enemies deal 0 or 1 damage when you have too much defense?

I swear to god when I was reviewing the update for mistakes I noticed this and thought "okay need to take out the word 'slimes'" and then somehow forgot it instantly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A lot of shops have two doors or some other way of getting behind the counter. This is usually so you can chat with the shopkeeper. Outdoor stalls like the rest of Farebury's merchants usually don't do this, but the weapon shop...

Let's say sure, we are.

Whenever you buy equipment, the shopkeeper lets you equip it right there. Still, stuff you find, like that Pot Lid, doesn't.

What if we say no?

Intimidating monsters does have its applications sometimes, but it's a risky move unless you outlevel the enemies. Both because you need to be higher level for it to work, and because more likely than not you'll just get punched in the face for it.

Eight can't pillage everything. Like this thing. What is this thing? He can't steal from it!

Well, this is the front door to the weapon shop. Crossed swords in front of a blue shield.

Equipment in Dragon Quest is usually expensive. DQ8 is no exception. If we sold everything we had, we might be able to afford the Copper Sword. We don't need to, though. Our starting weapons, though janky as they are, can carry us far enough.

That Boomerang, though, is looking handsome. Eight can use it, along with his default swords and spears. Yangus gets hammers, scythes, and axes. The difference in weapon category matters a lot, but more on that later.

The strange jester had a catchphrase. He's got several people in town parroting it.

When all other leads fail, watering hole.

Boogie Woogie in the Bar

The bar music is great. Click it. I also think it's one of the few songs not orchestrated in the NA soundtrack. See, the Japanese version had synthesized music, and the orchestrated soundtrack, like the voice acting, was added for overseas releases.

This random shirtless guy in a bull mask (does he drink through the holes?) tells us about tension.

The major change to the DQ formula 8 introduced is the tension mechanic. Characters can spend turns to make an action super-strong.

Aw yeah hittin' on bunny girls. I think Toriyama has a thing for bunny girls.

"Tee hee hee! Munchie? A cute name for a cute little fellow! Well, Munchie, enjoy your stay! ♪"

Dammit, when she asks about the thing in your pocket you don't tell her about the mouse!

The old man tells us more about Kalderasha, the town's fortune-teller. Apparently he's fallen on hard times.

...So, uh, I think our mission here is... uh... let's eavesdrop.

Kalderasha. Video covered in screenshots.

"I'm sorry but I've got a business to run. This, er, haphazard fortune-telling of yours is costing me a fortune in free drinks!"

"Let me tell you someting for free. All fortune-telling is 'haphazard'! What do you expect!?"

"It would only have led to another disaster, that's what!
"I'm sorry, Mr. Kalderasha, sir. I don't follow... If you're saying you knew about the fire, shouldn't you at least have warned Master Rylus?"
"Yes... Poor Rylus... How many times I argued with the old man... I cannot believe he is gone..."

We have to bother Kalderasha personally in order to advance the story. Seems like a mean thing to do.

He then notices... something about Eight.

Before he can inquire further, something happens!

Hurry! We Are in Danger

Several people run outside. Let's linger!

End of video.

"Yessss! I was just getting to the 'yes, yeeesss" bit. But now iwth all the noise, I have lost interest. You do not understand, do you? That is how I do business! Can you not feel the curiosity stirring in you when hear me say the words!? 'Yes, yeeesss!' It makes you want me to tell your fortune, no?"

This guy is blocking our path to the courtyard. We'll have to go the long way around. Incidentally, the music up there has the most ridiculous breakdown in it.

The NPCs still around have bits of jibber-jabber.

Monster in the courtyard. Video covered by screenshots.

An angry mob has gathered to confront the monster, which is...

Apparently, just Trode. He does look rather gross frankly.

The mob starts pelting him with stones until...

Medea steps in their way! That is one angry horse.

Eight and Yangus step in to defuse the situation and get Trode out.

The party exits to the jeers of the crowd...

"Don't they realize who I am!? Hmph! Judging a book by its cover! Don't they know it's what's inside that counts!?"
"Yeah! You can say that again!"

Well, we did, in a sense.

"Well... I suppose there's no point crying over spilt milk. It's Dhoulmagus we're after! He's the one who cursed the Princess and I, after all. He's the one who made us look so ridiculous! I had hoped Rylus might be able to help us locate him. But it seems we'll just have to track Dhoulmagus down by ourselves. With Rylus gone, we have nothing further to gain from staying here. Let's be on our way!"

Suddenly...

"Are you not afraid of me, young lady?"
"I dreamt about you... I dreamt that some people came to town with a strange creature. It was... sort of halfway between a human and a monster... And I dreamt that they could make wishes come true..."

"Are you referring to me?"
"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to be rude!"

"Anyway, you say you had a dream about me? Most peculiar..."

"If you could just come to my house, I'll explain everything there. It's by the well, at the far end of town. I'll be waiting for you!"

Valentina leaves.

"Wot was she rabbitin' on about? Come round my 'ouse, she says..."
"Magnificent! She wasn't afraid to look at me at all! Not one bit! Ah, she reminds me of my Medea! We must give this young girl a helping hand!"

End of video.

A Peaceful Community ~ Night

This is the house by the well, like she said.

Let's hop right in then!

Wells usually have some sort of swag hiding at the bottom. It's always worth it to check by diving in.

This Leather Shield goes to Eight, because his defense is lower and because he can't even use the Pot Lid.

We find Valentina has dozed off while waiting.

Perfect time to ransack for minor goodies! :toot:

Valentina's Request

"I wanted to ask you a favour about this crystal ball."

"Of course. Let me explain. My father, Kalderasha, was once a really famous fortune-teller. Lost treasure, missing people... There was nothing the Great Kalderasha couldn't help people with."

Oh great, Kalderasha's here.

"How many times have I told you not to touch my crystal ball?"

"What? Aren't you that boy from the pub!? What brings you here? ...Never mind! I do not know what my daughter has asked you, but you can forget it! I do not need your help! I am fine as I am.

He does exactly as he says.

"But whatever he says, he's the one who's really suffering since he lost his powers."

How could we say no to a face like this? It's a good thing to do, so we do it!

Okay how she closes those giant eyes makes her forehead seem utterly immense.

"I suppose only the daughter of the Great Kalderasha could know a thing like that!"

End of video.

With this information, we report back to Trode.

He responds rather strongly.

"Such devotion to her father! I'm impressed! Just how a daughter should be! And if this Kalderasha gets his powers back, there's nothing he can't find, am I right? Then we'll kill two birds with one stone! If everything goes according to plan, we'll find out where that hateful Dhoulmagus is. But time's getting on. Medea and I will stay outside. That's the last time we set foot in a barbaric town like this. But you should spend the night at the inn and rest well so that you're ready to take on the world tomorrow!"

I'd like to say we do this next time but really we need to grind up a bit so we don't die painfully and alone in the waterfall cave. Stay tuned for that, I guess?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

thefailtrain posted:

I can't wait to see just how badly and how quickly you break this one, Sheep.

DQ8's high-end shenanigans aren't as visually entertaining as FF games usually have, sorry. It's more extremely efficient use of resources than killing bosses before they can even move. There'll be shenanigans, just don't expect the sort of indestructible battle god nonsense FFTA had or anything. :v:

Update 3's coming in a few. I both made sure I had update 2 ready when I posted the thread, and that I want to get to the vote for skills quickly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The rummaging and pillaging has had the intended effect: now I can afford the bare minimum armor upgrade for Eight! I don't need to worry about getting them fully decked out; first off, there's some free upgrades sitting in chests, like that leather shield in the well. Second, by the time I had enough gold to get everything, it'd be time to move on to the next town and get yet even better armor.

Pressing Select opens Trode's battle records. He makes fun of us for being level 1. The goal of this update is to change that. It also lets you look at the different monsters you've fought and what items you've obtained.

Start opens the party chat. It serves both as a reminder for what you were doing and to see what the rest of your party has to think.

We were using the west gate, but the waterfall cave is to the south, no?

Man Trode why you gotta be mean they opened a new door and everything.

A lot of DQ8 is judging when you need to rest. Our party's going to fight for a few minutes then sleep until next morning, to fight for a little longer then go right back into bed because the colored bars aren't full.

To a Vast World

If you click only one music link for the entire LP, make it the world map theme. It is a perfect manefestation of the spirit of exploration and adventure. Besides fighting some mobs to make our numbers large enough to not die, we're also going to be poking around the Farebury region.

The waterfalls are visible in the distance. You can follow the roads to them, in fact.

We're going to go to exactly not there.

Our first random encounter is a singleton Lips.

War Cry

Lips are hardier than slimes for sure, and they can lick a party member to shock them out of a turn, but they are nothing Eight and Yangus can't handle.

I suppose I'll compile these monster info screens when a region is completed.

Someone do remind me to do so though or I'll probably forget.

There's little plants growing in the river. One of my goals with this LP is to have a lot of good-looking shots of DQ8's wilderness.

That might come to a premature end as this is one mean crew of rabbits and vegetables. Capsichums are on-par with Lips more or less, but Bunicorns are the toughest things in the Farebury region. They may or may not have a trick, for all I remember is the horrible stabbing.

And stabbing they do a lot. With three bunicorns attacking each round and Eight and Yangus too weak to take one out in a single round, they wear on Eight's HP really quickly.

Luckily, Eight pulls a critical hit out of his rear end. Critical hits are the greatest thing you'll ever see. They do boatloads of extra damage and ignore defense. Ignoring defense is the important part.

It isn't enough to stop the enemies from putting Eight on death's door, though!

Since there's only two enemies left, defending is the prudent option. They shouldn't be able to take 4 HP when their damage is halved, after all.

Capsichums can cast a single spell, Sap.

When it successfully lands, Sap reduces defense by half. It'd be threatening but this means the Capsichum isn't attacking and our defense values are so low right now that getting halved doesn't make a huge difference.

The defending was to ensure Yangus's Medicinal Herb got in. They recover 30-35 HP and having a few in case of emergencies (like this) is invaluable this early in the game.

Capsichums only have 4 MP so they can barely cast Sap the once.

Bunicorns are worth 5 experience each, and the Capsichum 3. This is enough to rocket the party to...

Level 2!! :toot:

The increases are minor but every little bit helps.

Strength and Resilience are base Attack and Defense, respectively. Agility determines who acts when and has a very, very, very minor effect on evasion, or so I have read. Wisdom is used in determining the power of spells, of which we have none.

Next fight isn't nearly as dangerous. Candy cats are about the same tier of strength as Capsichums, but instead of any trick they sometimes... waste their own turn.

Yangus demonstrates evasion. Most enemies have evasion stats of 0, but some have pretty good chances to dodge. We'll grow to hate them.

We're beaten up after two four-guy battles, but we don't have a map to point us back to Farebury!!

Oh, the colorful roofs and the plume of smoke make it easy to see from a distance.

While resting at the inn, Eight notices Trode hammering away at... something.

Huh, she's either talking about the same prince of Argonia that Trode mentioned, or there are a lot of engaged princes.

A bit more fighting gets Eight and Yangus to level 3. This one is more important than 2 because...

Eight gets the Heal spell. It's more or less identical to a Medicinal Herb except that it gets boosted by tension and costs 2 MP. Level 3 also comes with 5 MP.

Sadly, Eight's MP doesn't refill itself on levels. Back to the inn, because with this we can trek out quite a bit farther!

In this case, we're heading due west.

Along the way a Candy Cat demonstrates its ability to waste its own turn.

Well this is odd. We're far west enough that a few tougher enemies have joined the fray. Firespirits both resist physical attacks and have an innate damage reduction that make them far more resilient than their 9 defense would imply.

They're here to make sure you know that psyching up is a valuable tool.

For the cost of a turn, Eight's multiplied his damage by 1.7. Tension can go up to four stages: the second is +20, which is triple normal damage - technically breaking even. At the third stage, +50, you more than break even and hit for five times normal damage! There's even a fourth level that is 7.5 times normal!

Despite all their resistances, the bonus from a single stage of tension is enough to level these goobers. Handy, since firespirits can cast the basic attack spell Frizz that hits for as much as 10 damage at once.

We're at the far-west part of the Farebury region. Frist, at the top there, the castle in those ominous purple clouds is where Eight and Trode came from, the kingdom of Trodain. Whatever Dhoulmagus did there, it's left a mark. Second, the bridge between here and there is out. Given our party came from the west, I wonder what happened?

Third, and probably most curious, is that brown-orange-whatever thing. While normally monsters are unseen random encounters, some special monsters appear on the overworld. I'll elect to not gently caress with him, because there's little point and it would be a dangerous fight.

Finally a satyr shows up. They're the last part of the enemies that show up around Farebury. They're nothing special.

Oh my, it's one of those mysterious chests that King of Adventure mentioned! Finders keepers!

Okay I would really like to know who put this here because who the gently caress puts their underwear in a chest in a forest near a ravine?

Regardless, it's a sizable upgrade over Yangus's default armor.

I elect to travel back to Farebury via Chimaera Wing. eventually we'll have dozens of places to which to go.

Cya later shitlords!

The fourth trek into the wilderness starts extremely improbably, as we somehow get a 1/256 drop from a Bunicorn. :stare:

This is literally the first 1/256 drop I've gotten in any of my playthroughs of DQ8. :stonk:

It's nothing terribly exciting though 2 agility is a 33% increase for Yangus.

Trek #5 (because I wanted to save a 1/256 drop) has two bunicorns.

They're enough to get the team to level 4.

Eight learns the poison-curing spell, but far more importantly...

DQ8's other big thing is the skill point system. From now on, every level will carry with it a few skill points. Each character has 5 skills - three weapons, an unarmed set, and a personal quality with utility abilities.

Let's get the rundown on Eight's

Swords are the requisite weapon of any noble protagonist! For developing this skill, Eight will gain the ability to slash things in specific ways. Dragon Slash deals heavy damage to dragons, of which there are many in a game named Dragon Quest obviously, for example. The other big skill here is Falcon Slash, which is more or less a free damage multiplier and a fantastic skill in general.

Spears open strong with Mercurial Thrust, which in exchange for slightly decreased damage, let Eight attack first in a round. Multithrust is a good single-target option, but the important maneuver here is Thunder Thrust. The attack either wiffs completely or scores a critical hit. Auto-critical moves, as I've taken to calling them, are extremely potent in a few situations where nothing else can even match. So much so I think I overvalue them and keep going with spears in my playthroughs.

Boomerangs focus on hitting all enemies where spears and swords generally focus on one. The abilities overcome the weaknesses in Boomerangs while giving a few elemental options for variety. You can't go wrong with 'em.

Fisticuffs isn't here for punching things. Sure, it's possible, but no weapon isn't a substitute for a good weapon. It's here for two abilities. Defending Champion is five times as potent as the defend option, reducing damage to a tenth, a very potent defensive option against physical attackers. The other is Thin Air, a subtly amazing Woosh-elemental attack that hits all enemies for surprisingly high damage that costs all of 2 MP. It's strong enough that boomerangs are considered an alternative to Thin Air.

Courage is the odd man out here. It gives Eight a few spells to round out his collection, such as Zoom, which replicates Chimaera Wings, and Holy Protection, which replicates Holy Water. It's not particularly important at first, since, well, you noticed how I defined the spells in terms of items, but eventually Eight will want to go to the top of this.

Eight's not alone in having skills.

Axes start off with the ever-handy Helm Splitter, an attack with the Sap effect of lowering defense. It's the home of the game's other auto-critical skill, Hatchet Man. Functionally identical to Thunder Thrust, the long and short of it is that we're going to have at least one of these around for the moments when they're useful beyond anything else.

Clubs have Heart Breaker, an attack that can sometimes shock an enemy out of a turn, and Penny Pincher, an attack that can steal a smidgen of gold. The problem is, every Club ability costs MP and Yangus has downright pitiful MP. They also aren't that useful, as this is a single-target weapon whose abilities mostly wiff against bosses, so we're paying for mild multipliers at the highest investment. Still, they can come in useful against some random encounters, and the MP thing is anything but unsolvable, and if a boss happens to be a robot or made of bricks or something clubs can wreck it.

Scythes are here for Stainless Steal Sickle, an attack that steals items and is a free 1/5 extra damage. Constant stealing may just net something of some value and if nothing else, it's Yangus's only ability that increases damage at no MP cost. I know that doesn't sound like a resounding endorsement but seriously Stainless Steal Sickle is really good.

Fisticuffs for Yangus is a lot like Eight's in that the point is to get Thin Air. It's cheap enough that even Yangus's pitiful MP is enough to blow away random encounters. It also has Padfoot, an ability a lot like Holy Water that stacks with it to let us travel without getting harrassed every now and then.

Humanity gives Yangus a few useful moves like his own Heal and the ability to trigger random encounters without having to run in circles. The main thing for us is Nose for Treasure, which will tell me if I'm missing some loot in a dungeon. It'd be embarrassing to miss, I don't know, cow poop because I didn't break every vase in a zombie-infested ruin.

So, to summari-

two of them okay this is fuckin' riri what the gently caress

So there's two votes here. Rather than blindly voting to allocate skill points, I'll offer a few builds that will cover the bulk of skill points intelligently, getting the good stuff and then getting out.

Eight's skills!
Fisticuffs to Swords- Get Thin Air to handle random encounters, then go to Falcon Slash
Boomerangs to Swords - Get Boomerangs's good skills, then swords for Falcon Slash
Fisticuffs to Spears- Get Thin Air, then develop Thunder Thrust for auto-crits
Boomerangs to Spears- Boomerangs for mobs, Spears for bosses, more or less
Spears & Swords- kinda gimmicky but Falcon Slash is good and so is Thunder Thrust.

All of these presume developing Courage afterwards to get the high-end spells out of it. The best boomerang and best spear are mutually exclusive, but the second best boomerang is good enough for the job that it doesn't matter much.

Yangus's skills!
Fisticuffs to Axes- get Thin Air, then focus on auto-crits.
Fisticuffs to Scythes- get Thin Air, then Stainless Steal Sickle for damage and stealing
Fisticuffs to Clubs- get Thin Air, then try to rationalize using Clubs
Axes & Scythes- Single target as hell, with a variety of options for hurting one guy
Clubs & Scythes- the crime option with gold and item stealing that sometimes may happen maybe.

All of these presume some Humanity in there for its goodies. No clubs with axes, as the best weapons of those two are mutually exclusive, and the gaps between #2 and #1 for each are too large for my tastes.

I'll require at least one auto-critical ability, so if no spears or axes option is in either poll's lead, I'll take whichever has the most votes to ensure one ability.

Vote here for Eight and here for Yangus! The poll will go on for at least 48 hours, so whenever I notice this thread on Sunday evening!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Must be why the clubless builds are winning. Fistcuffs+Scythes and Axes+Scythes are tied. Meanwhile in main character business, boomerangs+swords has commanded a lead. Of 4 votes.

We're only 6 hours in though so anything can change, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Boomerangs+Swords and Axes+Scythes have fairly commanding leads as the first day of November dawns. I've never really went with either before so if nothing else it'll be different.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tax Refund posted:

I vote Boomerangs+Swords for Eight, and Humanity+Scythes for Yangus. Oh, that's not an option? Well, then Axes+Scythes.

Two things, first, you saw that the polls were links to some online polling thing, right? Second, getting some Humanity is presumed because Yangus will have skill points to spare.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Axes+Scythes has a pretty commanding lead, but Eight's tied between Boomeraings+Swords and Fisticuffs+Spears.

God bless you, one person who voted for Fisticuffs+Clubs on Yangus.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

idonotlikepeas posted:

Of course, whether it makes sense to go all the way to 100 in any particular area is a matter of opinion, since you're usually going from around 80 to 100 for one skill which you may not end up using that often.

Let's look at Eight's spears since those are currently winning. At 59 points, he gets the upgrade to Lightning Thrust, Thunder Thrust. That's generally your stopping point. At 77, he gets Attack+25. It's 15 points extra, but that isn't worth 18 points considering, at best, it's 3 solid levels of skill points and at worst, it's about 7. Going all the way to 100 gets Lightning Storm, a Zap-based attack with a base damage of 200 and an MP cost of 25. This is horribly inefficient compared to, say, Zap, which deals half the damage with sufficient wisdom (Eight will have enough at level 37) at one fourth of the cost and is along the way to Omniheal anyway.

At level 38, Eight will have 184 MP. This is enough for six lightning storms. This is also thirty Zaps. 38 is not an arbitrary number, as you literally cannot max a skill before that level. You could also stick to 59 spears and be able to get Zap, Omniheal, and half MP cost for more of the above while still having access to Spears important bits - Multithrust and Thunder Thrust.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yangus is pretty much decided Axes+Scythes, but, uh.

Could you guys at least break the tie? Mein gott.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Coal posted:

Boomerangs > Swords. This game is so awesome.

Well alright then! Boomerangs > Swords and Axes + Scythes win! Axes has our requisite auto-critical skill, so I don't have to invoke any exceptions, either!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Swords and Boomerangs won Eight's votes. First is Boomerangs so we can go through random encounters, and because it'd take a while to get some swank swords.

Axes and Scythes are Yangus's choices. Axes are first because, well, we get the first axe sooner. Furthermore, a lot of Axes's stuff is frontloaded.

This, dear reader, is an Axoraptor. Axoraptor will, most assuredly, loving murder us.

Seeds are stat-boosting items. This one will permanently increase the max HP of a character by a few points.

I'll not even begin to consider using these until we have a full party.

oh poo poo axoraptor almost took my life

The checkpoint's closed, so we're stuck in Farebury.

So here's that waterfall cave, the game's first dungeon.

Clearly, let's go this way around it instead.

It's secretly a path up to the top of the mountain!

I need to remember party chats are a thing.

"Awright, so there might be a few more monsters, but a real man don't need to worry about that!"

There's a lot of nice flavor text in here.

Anyway, ontop of the waterfalls is this hut.

Inside of this hut is an incredibly muscular man.

Clearly we should rummage through his things before introducing ourselves.

Despite stealing his agility-increasing items he seems nice enough.

DQ protagonist, a JRPG wouldn't let this go without rewards, etc.

"Okay, I'm only going to say this once, so clean out your ears and get listenin'."

"I had a bit of a kip there when I was out the other day, and it seems I left my tool bag behind. I don't expect you to do this for free of course. I'll be able to give you a small reward. I'll be waitin' here in my hut for you to bring it back. Try not to take too long."

We can see the tree he mentioned there, along with what I think is the next town.

Here we see the One Knight Stand in its natural habitat. It would be kind of rough to fight him and I don't really feel like trying yet. There's a big point to all these guys, and I am nowhere near it.

Anyway, enough mucking about. It's time to take on Dragon Quest 8's first dungeon.

He won't be available for party chats. There's a much bigger consequence to him ducking out of dungeons later in the game.

Cold and Gloomy

As you might expect, the waterfall cave is a cave with waterfalls.

It's got entirely new enemies attempting to murder us, as well.

Dancing Devils, well, dance.

It's a shocking move, technically, but drat if it isn't snazzier than face-licking.

Mischievous Moles can psyche up like the player. They're way too dangerous if left alive for long.

The experience is a hell of a lot better than what's outside.

Yangus picks up his first Axes ability relatively quick.

Helm Splitter would be a great move to have, if I could get an axe at this point. It's a regular attack with a Sap effect applied at no MP cost, so, basically, it's a regular attack that can decrease defense. I don't think it can critical but you're probably going to want the defense decrease against most things.

Like the overworld, Eight doesn't start with a map for dungeons. Most of them can be found relatively early on though.

The right path is much more lucrative than the left.

Inside is a peddler (who I forget to talk to (but says nothing particularly interesting anyway)) and three chests.

Bubble Slimes have relatively low attack but can poison on damage. It helps to have a few antidotal herbs on hand.

They never lose that winning smile, even in death.

free chimaera wing for the trip back to Farebury, if needed.

This is Yangus's default hat, and Eight can equip it too. It's 2 points better than the Bandana.

Drackies are only a smidgen stronger than slimes. They'd show up if I ever ran around enough for night to fall.

A lesser game would just have a stony corridor here. Not DQ8. You get waterfalls.

Skippers are probably here just to kick my rear end since they hit quite a bit harder than everything else present. They drop bunny tails at a 1/32 rate. I only bring this up because jesus christ I got 2 1/256 drops.

The hazards of emulation: some things screw up and I don't even know why and the only fix involves tanking the framerate by a 5th. I apologize for the inconvenience.

" A man that looked like a peddler came along earlier, but when he saw me he ran away without saying a word! Anyway... As you've probably realised, you'll have to fight me if you want to go any further!"

Hell yeah! We'll kick your rear end!

"...

"..."

"Off you go. Be careful now!"

I am pretty sure this entire scene serves no purpose other than to be exceedingly whimsical.

HORRIBLE BURNING DEATH IS NOT WHIMSICAL.

Yangus actually has an innate resistance to Frizz. How handy!

Just because it's a slime doesn't mean it wants to kill us.

Well yeah I'm not sure why you'd lie.

"Yay! Then I'll tell you something good! It is a dead end, but there's a treasure chest up there! (Slurp)"

That's quite the treasure. Five points stronger than the Soldier's Sword, and we saved 270 gold getting this!

Relatively high defense, but low HP. I think they can cast Acelleratle, an agility-increasing spell.

Skippers can certainly cast its opposite.

This is only mildly annoying as otherwise Skippers would be pounding my HP out.

Well this is unexpected. I didn't think I'd hit level 6 so close to the boss.

Believe it or not this cave being so rainbow-y is another flub. Somehow being incompetent has made the game prettier.

At level 6, Eight picks up a spell for escaping dungeons.

He also gets enough skill points to pick up his first boomerang skill. No good way to explain it without a boomerang to demonstrate it.

Anyway, next time, Dragon Quest VIII's first boss!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ManlyGrunting posted:

So I have to ask: given that the fifth attributes weren't on the poll (Courage, Humanity etc) what's the deal with those? Are you going to be ignoring them entirely or levelling them up to get certain skills or what?

They'll be getting a few points regardless of build.

For Eight, he's going to finish Boomerangs+Swords by level 29. Fisticuffs+Spears would've gotten its gold at 27. Then, no matter which build, he was going to jam every point until the low 40s into Courage for Omniheal.

Yangus is a little messier since Axes+Scythes won but he'll have over 200 skill points by level 40 so there's more than enough room to get a few tricks out of Humanity.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I can dedicate half an update to the first boss because this game gives its bosses so much personality.

Geyzer

This update will also be mostly split between this video and the next with a tiny tiny interlude.

"Oh, how long it's been! How many people have gone and come!"

"But enough with the introductions! Now for the troment of muth!

Eh sure.

"Ha ha ha haaa! At last! At last we feet, mace to mace, you halfwit human!

code:
GEYZER          #261            LV:12 AQUATIC
--------------------------------------------------
HP:173          ATK:42          COMMON: 256/256
MP:20           DEF:14          SEED OF STRENGTH
EXP:107        AGL:9            RARE:   0/256
GOLD:108    EVD:0/64  	
RESISTANCES:
FRIZZ/SIZZ/FLAME/TROOP/POISON/SHOCK/SILENCE
DAZZLE/FIZZLE/SAG/DRAIN MAGIC
IMMUNITIES:
DEATH/PARALYSIS/FUDDLE/BAN DANCE
---------------------------------------------------
SPELLS & ABILITIES:
SIZZ
CURSED MIST
Geyzer is the first boss, and he's part level gate (you must be at least 5 to get on this ride) and part introduction to boss tactics. He hits really hard but more than that are his two other moves.

Curse is a shock-like ailment that's got one notable difference to it.

Eight is completely and utterly immune. He cannot be cursed. Ever.

Yangus however, has to deal with losing a turn. It's one of his rounds for only half of yours - Cursed Mist is your breathing room because he's not ramming your HP down.

Yangus's tension gets reset whenever he's cursed, so Eight is the one who spends every turn psyching up.

You can only enter the 4th stage sometimes, and this message means you can't. A shame, the NA version added a certain... something when Eight reaches the 4th stage.

Oh well, the damage multiplier is enough for me.

Sizz is his "oh gently caress" action.

Sizz is a Sizz-elemental spell that hits a group. I say this because Frizz and Sizz despite being both fire are different elements internally . And your party is one group.

Owwwww.

Still, Geyzer isn't hard if you're even slightly prepaired.

Big experience reward. This is what normally gets the party to level 6 for me.

He's got a 100% drop of the seed of strength, which obviously incrase wisdom.

Nah they increase strength.

"And it's all because of you! What!? You don't know what I'm talking about...? Then you..."

The jig is up! drat!

"So strong! Strong enough to withstand my fearsome might! You are no tortune-feller!"

"I hear that a castle called Trodain has been cursed. That it was run over... overrun by thorns. And that only one person inside survived.

Aflashback to that terrible night not too long ago, when Trodain was ripped apart from the inside by the thorns...

Indeed, the only person who awoke was Eight.

"As I thought That was you! I don't know what you want with this crystal ball..."

"One last thing! Should you meet the true owner of this crystal ball, tell him this from me!"

So, ware thee fell! Oh, the pain, the pain! The pain of my old wound!"

Eight's Evac spell is exactly what we need to not die on the return trip!

At Farebury, Eight discards the sword for the plowshare. And then I sell it.

Aw come on! It'd be worth something right?

It's to fund the Boomerang. This baby will carry me for quiiite a while.

Anyway, time to return the brystal call to the tortune-feller.

The Great Kalderasha.

"And it seems you have done as Valentina asked. You see! Even with a glass ball, the Great Kalderasha's eyes see further than you realise! But you are meddling in matters that do not concern you. And you are wasting your time. You can bring back my crystal ball as many times as you like. I will just throw it away again!

"Enough! Listen to me! No one knows why I threw away my crystal ball. Even Valentina has no idea. I'm not about to confide in a stranger."

But then someone interrupts Kalderasha...

"I know! I've known for ages... I know why you threw away your crystal ball."

"Yes. And I don't blame you for their death."
"Why not? How can you not blame me, Valentina? How can you not hate me?"

"I was too young to remember, but... you were once a truly great fortune-teller, weren't you, Father? No one knew where my parents had fled to. But to you, it was as clear as day."

"I was walking on air. Fortune-telling was my life. It was my soul. I thought only of myself. Be they good or bad, I cared not who asked me to use my crystal ball. I lived for the vision!"
"It's all right, Father. You're a good man. You took me in and raised me, didn't you? When I was just a helpless baby. I want to see it for myself."

"Oh, my sweet Valentina..."

Eight and Yangus stay at Kalderasha's for the night whilst he prepares his crystal ball...

Eight awakens.

Yangus... does not.

"I must thank you and your friend. "

"Many years have passed since I gazed into the crystal like this... I have to thank you for returning it to me."

"Yes, yes! I see it! I see it! There is a jester! A jester breaking through the southern checkpoint! Yes! The mists are clearing!

"Yes! Yeeesss! The mists are clearing!

"So where'd 'e go after that? Wot else can yer deduct?"
"What else...? Let me look deeper. Hm? What's this...?"

"Hm! It must have hit something very hard to do this damage. And look! Someone has scratched some letters next to the chip..."

"You wot!? When I asked wot else yer could see, I didn't mean ON the ball, I meant IN the ball! Wotever Oh, come on guv!"

I didn't mean for Valentina to look square in the camera like that but somehow I just couldn't bring myself to change it.

Farebury's great fortune teller is back in business, and he's patched up his relationship with his daughter.

He did this all before we even got here. The smoke plume already filled the sky in the opening. I pray we're not always seeing his wake and left scrambling...

"blah blah balls blah blah murder blah blah"

"That fiend killed his own teacher!? And you say he headed south? Then there's no time to lose, Eight! We must go after him at once! Let's be on our way!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I really hate the DQ spell naming convention. What the gently caress is a Frizz-element? Or a Sizz-element? Why are they different? Why can't this game use normal names?

I call them those elements because there's no real easy way to describe what element Frizz is besides that it is the element that the spell Frizz is. It's a fireball, but it checks a different resistance than Sizz or Fire Breath. Flame Slash checks Sizz, Firebird Throw checks Frizz, despite the former being single-target and the latter being a boomerang skill. And I can't just say they're "fire" because though they are often resisted to the same degree, it's not always: Yangus resists Frizz and Fire but not Sizz. The Firespirit is immune to Frizz and Fire but gets hit by Sizz.

The damage elements are Frizz, Sizz, Crack, Woosh, Bang, Zap, Fire, Ice, Grapple, and Troop. Frizz and Sizz are two variations on magical fire, Crack is magical ice, Woosh is wind, Bang is explosions, Zap is lightning, Fire and Ice are mostly dragons' breath, Grapple is used by assorted physical skills, and Troop is on one of Yangus's special moves for reasons.

Saying Sizz is Sizz-elemental was a joke about how I don't really have much choice in these names.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rabidredneck posted:

Oh, don't worry.
WE WILL.

Dear thread: Please never do something like this again. We are barely two hours into an excruciatingly long game. We'll kill each other over who can vaguely hint at future events the vaguest.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Genocyber posted:

It's still kinda annoying to see nth-teen posts that say "oh boy I can't wait for people to see this part :allears::allears::allears:"

Yeah, don't worry, I'll get to that part. It's not like I'm going to arbitrarily skip massive portions of the game.

Next update will be wrapping up Tyran Gully before we scoot off to the final dungeon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Oddly enough, "Hachi" would still seem out of place since everyone's names are pretty well Westernized.

More or less weird than Dhoulmagus?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Party chat's halfway between flavor and reminder. I never used it much before this. I'll be certain to press start frequently.

We'll be running a lot. And also travelling a lot. In fact the only number that won't really go up is times wiped out.

So past the southern checkpoint is Alexandria. It's our next destination, if only for provisions as we chase Dhoulmagus.

Trode's only available on the world map. He really wants to follow Dhoulmagus real bad.

Either side can sometimes get a preemptive strike, getting a free round to knock the other around. Like other random elements, it's only notable those times the enemy gets to beat you up.

Candy cats can't really hurt us, though.

Eight's Boomerangin' is plowing through these beginning encounters. Each hit past the first has a slight decrease in damage, so the rightmost enemies get off a little easier. There's no way to go from right to left, but the boomerang skill tree has moves that remove the penalty.

Hey, it's that red tree that the guy in the hut mentioned!

So let's put his bag in our bag and take entirely too long to give it back to him!

Yangus gets +5 to his attack when equipped with an axe. Man, I'd really like to have an axe.

Beetleboys have high attack and defense, but surprisingly little HP. They can use an attack not unlike Clubs's Heart Breaker, that deals damage and shocks a turn away.

I use this fight to demonstrate Eight's first boomerang ability, Crosscutter Throw.

Crosscutter Throw is a bad ability. I'll not use it anymore.

So, this is the checkpoint, or, uh, what's left of it.

Yangus is a bit in awe.

Trode is kind of scared.

Hey! A chest in the distance!

Our first Alexandria region foes: Bodkin Archers. They've obviously got higher stats than the Farebury guys but they're far from the most dangerous guys here.

Slime Earrings give four defense.

Huh, a cave under the bridge.

Bodkin Archers have the ability to cast Buff.

It's the opposite of Sap, in that it increases defense. It's only a little annoying because it's preventing all of two damage.

Despite only knowing Buff, they're extremely resistant to silence. They also resist instant death, poison, paralysis, sleep, and sag. They do not resist boomerangs.

More friends! They're nocturnal. My scrounging around for overworld chests has burned the afternoon.

Funghouls are the unpleasantest guys because of this mass-sleep effect.

Drackmages are like Drackies, but mages.

Kasap is multitarget Sap, and it's only half as potent.

Drackmages resist Woosh, Shock, Dazzle, Fizzle, and Sag. They're immune to Ban Dance. Everything that does not dance is immune to Ban Dance.

Sweet Breath gets Eight before he can 'rang the encounter. Blast.

We get to Alexandria eventually, though.

Bangerz and Mash

Quiet Village Night

It's a picturesque little place with this neat windmill thing.

"Halt! Who goes there?"

Wait I think this is escalating quickly!

Yangus and Eight are just so "what is this".

"Prepare to meet your makter!"

Uh, they're children.

I guess I'll try to scare them off, or something.

Anonymous granny is here to break up the fight before I use this boomerang.

I'd like a pot for a helmet. It'd match Yangus's lid.

"Didn't Miss Jessica ask you to run an errand for her? And here you are playing around!"

"You'd better run along before Jessica finds out!"
"Yikes!"

Bangerz and Mash run off.

"I'm so sorry. They don't mean any harm."

"There's nothing wrong with the place, mind. It's a lovely village, really. Make yourselves at home."

Clearly we should jump in the well first thing.

WELL WELL WELL THERE SEEMS TO BE NOTHING HERE

So instead we watch people while they sleep before we rob them.

This is the short of what's happened in Alexandria. Alistair, head of the noble Albert family, was recently murdered.

His mother and sister are in mourning.

Alistair was at Alexandria Tower, whose door was opened under unknown circumstances.

Another issue of King of Adventure, another hint.

A Peaceful Village

Finally Yangus gets his first Axe. That 18-point attack increase is so, so handsome.

The armor store has a bunch of goodies too. Unlike Farebury's stuff it's worth kitting out.

Alistair was a competent warrior, so how was he slain?

Uh, thanks, Mr. Scary Large Bull Mask Man.

Next time, the Albert mansion. Obviously we should bug the mourners.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

loquacius posted:

Saw this first while scrolling down; somehow mentally merged "funghouls" and "drackmages" into "fuckmages." ok that's my story

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is a hell of a lot better than my LP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Well, he's immune to the "lose a turn" part but he's still open to the "horrible side effects" part. Though it's hard to tell when it's 2/3 through the game before I even find anything cursed Eight can equip and every cursed item makes some incredible swag when alchemized.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ManlyGrunting posted:

e" \/\/Are you sure? Because I think I can remember equipping eight with a cursed item and the game outright giving a "the curse disspitates from Eight" message, to paraphrase. I could swear that Eight is immune to curses that are on weapons/armour.

It'd be easiest to show with the Ruinous Shield since it undermines itself via boosts to magic damage but the time I could get one would be around

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Next update will be wrapping up Tyran Gully before we scoot off to the final dungeon.

so you'll just have to trust me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alistair's murder hangs heavy in the halls of the Albert estate.

Random pilfering and theft isn't shenanigans, right?

Ah, cheese. DQ8 has an intricate cheese system. Alas, all we can access is the basic cheese.

Our new mission: tell anyone she said so.

: "Not only am I the son of the Chancellor to a large and prosperous kingdom, but I'm also the lovely Jessica's fiancè. Yes, that's me! She lost her brother recently, so I came here today to comfort her. But I seem to be faced with an unexpected obstacle to our love. There are some brats in front of her room who won't let me in. Ah, the sea of true love is strewn with the flotsam of despair!"

Lorenzo is as foppish as his outfit implies. Though, that story about a fiancè from a large kingdom, I swear I've heard it before.

: "Sadly, my family is currently in mourning. No one is permitted to set foot outside the house. I'm afraid that my daughter is less than happy about this arrangement and has confined herself to her room. She's even asked those boys to stand guard at the door. I'm sure I don't know what's got into her."

Indeed, Bangerz and Mash are here to block the door. Let's pilfer anyway.

Indeed, a mouse.

It runs into this hole in the wall.

Hmm, well, we have one item at our disposal that can handle this!

Before that, pilfering. This seed boosts MP, and will more than likely end up inside Yangus.

The third basic restorative, it cures paralysis for the whole party. It'll be quite a while before anything paralyzes.

Munchie is our vital operative for tiny holes in walls.

Go Topo Go!!

This is our first Munchie segment, where Eight's noble mouse must cause some sort of minor mischief.

In this case, we go downstairs in Jessica's alarmingly large room.

But it seems the lady in question isn't even here. Where is she?

So Munchie uses the broom to get up to the desk.

The other mouse does all of squeaking.

It's theft for a good cause I swear.

Munchie can't climb up the steps, but he can go up the railing.

He also has an action roll for... uh... I don't think the action roll does anything.

So uh, Jessica has a letter saying she's missing. Maybe we ought to show Bangerz this.

But but but, I have the key item!

Wait, I have to use the key item. Right.

Jessica's Letter

'I don't know who will find this letter. But please consider it my last will and testament. For by the time you read this, I will already be gone. I am going to the tower in the east. I will not return until my brother's death is avenged. Mother, I'm sorry for the damage I've caused to our family's reputation. But this is about something far bigger than tradition. I must follow my heart, no matter the consequences. Please forgive me. And to Bangerz and Mash, I'm sorry for lying to you. I hope you'll forgive me as well. Signed, Jessica.'

"She's been in her room the whole time! So how could she give you a letter?"
: "I dunno. It sounds sorta real to me."
"... ...Okay! Fine! I'll check her room!"

Man it'd be really funny if she was just standing behind a curtain to gently caress with us.

"Gimme that letter!"

"But if she really did go to the tower, she'll end up just like her brother Alistair! This is bad... This is REALLY bad... We've gotta do something! We've gotta get her out of there!"

Eh sure let's go with it. I mean it's not like event flags will trigger themselves.

I guess the in-universe explanation is that Eight is just a really heroic guy.

"Okay! We've gotta hurry! To get to the tower, go left down the path outside the village!"

Man why won't this child engage in life and death conflict with us.

"Listen, Mash. Whatever you do, don't let Jessica's mum find out where she went!"
: "Yessir, Bangerz!"
"Good! Come on! We've gotta hurry!

Yangus does not like this kid at all. He's having trouble putting up with him.

Bangerz wants us to head straight to the tower. Unluckily for him, we tend to wander and ramble.

Trode just wants to get that jester really, really bad.

Yangus finally has an axe to demo its first ability!

It does the damage of a regular attack without costing MP so there's no real opportunity cost to it.

Hey, it's guys like that one from the waterfall cave!

They're hardy enough for Yangus to demo Helm Splitter's defense decrease in action.

Hammerhoods tend to wiff attacks by falling over.

Those they land though really rip into your HP. Or maybe that's just my lack of armor purchases catching up with me.

They can also psyche up, though they lose tension on wiffs.

Yangus reaches his short-term axes goal with Hatchet Man.

Sums of cash from chests in DQ games tend to be disappointing, though every bit helps right about now.

Let's try this cheese out!

Meanwhile, Yangus preps his Hatchet Man. IIRC it's 50% abject failure, 25% regular damage,

and 25% critical hit. It may sound tiny, but 25% is vastly higher than the regular critical hit rate.

Mice like cheese, right?

Do they all breathe fire when given cheese?

It may seem insignificant, but, remember, basic cheese. Cheeses can do some crazy things.

I hate this game sometimes.

Fencing Foxes are another one of the fellers around here.

Their main thing is the ability to cast Fizzle, the silence spell.

Their other ability is to get wrecked by boomerangs.

The game has an AI system. It's mostly unecessary but it does have one trick - it can respond to something that happened in the round it happened, like casting Heal on someone who was just hit.

With some funds from adventuring I can get new shields for Eight and Yangus.

Also enough money to buy new armor for Yangus. The Scale Armour will have to wait.

Next time, the tower.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This one obviously and 4 and 9. First monsters and both Jokers. DWM was actually my introduction to the franchise.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DARPA Dad posted:

why did you decide to use a picture of an anus for monsters talking?

Because unnamed characters are represented with * in dialogue.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"Now let's get this door open. It's a special door, y'know. Only the people of Alexandria know how to open it. Go on, give it a try if you don't believe me."

"See? I told you! Only Alexandrians know how to open this door"

In accordance with Bangerz's wishes I'll not be showing how this door is opened.

Suffice to say, it opens from the bottom by being pushed up. Wait I think I hosed up there.

"Well, this is as far asm I'm goin'. I'll head back to the village now. You help Jessica!"

Mysterious Tower

Frogfaces are weird guys.

When hit, they turn around like this. When turned around, they significantly more dangerous, hitting harder and I think even having special moves. Hitting them again toggles them back to timid little frogs.

Yangus hits level 9, and with Hatchet Man obtained I begin to develop his other skills.

Four points in Humanity nets this, which negates the "running around in circles" part of grinding. We'll soon be introduced to a feature that more or less shoves it back in, alack, alay.

The "Tower" of Alexandria is actually two towers, for a bit. We go into one to go into the other to go up and back into the first time.

There are a variety of jokes I could make but they're all a decade old at this point. This game is too, now that I think about it. How quaint.

We can't skip part of it because a door's locked. And it doesn't open from the bottom.

No treasure in this room. It just looks pretty.

The tower isn't a complicated dungeon. Map's mostly there to put in passages that scream "HERE BE TREASURE".

A beetleboy politely demonstrates its ability to deal damage and shock a turn away. I know it's not always "shocking" because this is more "getting fuckin' tossed" but the only skills the party gets definitely fall in the shocking category.

Eight cannot cross this. He will not even try. By the end of the game the most absurd barriers will force Eight to to take some crazy detours.

A treasure room!

Besides this are a few restoratives and a bit of gold. I think I'll use the seeds of agility on Yangus. Eight's fast enough and the other half of the party are officially "fast as poo poo".

The final stretch is dominated by those thin circles at the wall.

They're these spinny doors that could be replaced by just open hallways but that wouldn't be as exciting, would it? They serve to obfuscate your view and disorient you through spinning.

Naturally, it frustrates Yangus.

"hey lady we're heavily-armed strangers, here, where your brother was murdered."
"oh hi"

Ouchhh! Having Yangus's single-target hit and Eight's party hit make it kind of hard to perfectly manage these frogs.

Healslimes are slimes that cast Heal.

More excitingly are the imps, casting a spell that deals 95-115 damage to all party members.

They don't have the MP for high-end full-party wipes.

They do however have a move that doesn't cost MP.

This is really, really early for breath attacks and they are far and away the most dangerous things for most of the game.

You'd think I'd save the gold and just wait to pick up the free one but we're close enough to a third party member, who doesn't join with a shield.

Anyway, that's it for the dungeon part. The next 43 screenshots are story.

It was the afternoon a moment ago, but this is more dramatically lit.

The centerpiece is this beautiful statue, with eyes set with red gems.

Oh, hi.

Um no we're just visiting. Hey you shouldn't be here because-

Oh, poo poo, um.

Jessica casts a fireball spell!

Eight barely ducks out of the way!

It collides on the statue, setting it aflame somehow.

She readies another fireball when-

The statue is speaking somehow.

I think I'll represent ghostly talking not in a text box like this statue in italics, like so:

Stay your spell, Jessica! I wasn't slain at their hands.
"Stay my spell!? But it's too late!"

The fireball careens to her right.

It takes out a brazier.

Jessica runs to the statue, so fast she knocks over Eight. Don't blame her, the ghost of her brother is talking to her.

It's me, Jess. You... have to listen to me. As do you travellers... After I died, a part of my soul... was allowed to linger in this statue. Even now as I speak to you... The power keeping me here begins to evaporate. .. Time is short... Look into the statue's eyes... The truth lies within... Hurry...

Oh goddammit what hosed up with the sepia tone!?

Okay, the emergency fix© worked, but it cripples the framerate. If I had more time to experiment I might've been able to find a workaround that didn't involve the game running at half speed, but I didn't have the luxury. So, no video for this part, my apologies.

It's a stormy night. Alistair is looking around the room, when this mysterious figure suddenly appears without a sound.

I think this might be the jester we're after.

Indeed, this is our first sight of the foul jester who cursed Trodain and murdered Rylus.

"Fragility? What do you mean!?"

Without a word, Dhoulmagus has rendered his foe harmless.

He points the scepter, and its eyes glow-

Paralyzing Alistair on the spot!

Dhoulmagus descends the stairs, warping in and out to and fro, as if to brag.

"Dhoulmagus...! I won't... forget this!"

"I shall return the favour, and remember yours as well."

He moves in as if to embrace Alistair-

Only to run him through with the scepter!

Alistair struggles, but dies to the wound.

"You may rest assured, your death will not be in vain."

Dhoulmagus laughs, while the scepter glows brighter.

He warps out, his laughs still echoing in the chamber....

And now we're back to normal.

I don't understand it myself. But it seems the Statue of Alexandra has been awaiting your arrival. If the memory of my tale can serve you on your quest, it would bring great relief to my soul... My stay here is coming to an end. It's time for us to part...

One final thing, Jess... Mother may try to stand in your way. Nevertheless...

The fire fades from the statue as Alistair goes to rest. Jessica collapses into tears in front of the statue.

"There can be no question. This is Dhoulmagus's treachery!"

So... Yangus noticed Trode was here somehow.

"It would appear that Alistair also wishes us to bring Dhoulmagus to justice. His sacrifice shall not be in vain. Now we have yet another reason to stop Dhoulmagus's foul reign of terror... I shall await you by the carriage."

Yangus ain't too proud to hide how he felt.

Jessica speaks up when we try to leave.

"We'll talk more later, but I need to be alone right now... I'll see you back at the village."

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 10, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you're using PCSX2, then you can enable HW Hacks and set Skipdraw to 1 or 2. This will kill the sepia filter, but it won't tank the framerate--it's sort of give-and-take.

I think having the cutscene wherein the antagonist first appears not sound like I'm hammering the pause button like a lunatic is more important than a sepia tone on a scene that's obviously a flashback.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Let's see, someone with a unique design, name, portrait, and skills that would compliment the rest of the party, who also has a reason to hate the same dude we're hunting down?

Clearly this Jessica person is an unimportant waste of time. Better blow her off and get after Dhoulmagus ASAP.

Especially since said character is on the goddamn cover art.

I can't decide if Jessica or Raspberyl from Disgaea 3 is more obnoxious about not just joining my goddamn party already. Raspberyl teases it for like 4 chapters, but There's one upcoming thing where having a third body at all would be extremely handy even if all it did was fling medicinal herbs every turn.

Glazius posted:

Huh. Is Dhoulmagus as comprised entirely of smarm as he sounds? I thought he was going to be your capering Kefka type.

The NPCs in Farebury mention such: Dhoulmagus may look like a jester but he most certainly does not act like one.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fionordequester posted:

Minor criticism, which you can safely ignore if you wish...but, it seems like you abbreviate a lot of the text. I mean, Bangerz himself had some kind of line like "Heh, yep, ha ha, the door opens from the bottom! Surprising eh?" after opening the door, but it's not transcribed in this update.

Oh my gooooood you revealed how the tower door is opened nooooooo I was trying to keep it a secret!

quote:

EDIT: Also, I'd still use a portrait of that female statue for Alistair's voice rather than just having it be italics, just because a lot of other LPers use italics to mark their commentary. So that can be kind of confusing at first glance.

I've consistently failed to italicize my commentary for eight updates now. And this won't be the last time we have ghostly text. :shrug:

Petiso posted:

Didn't we already had a minor flashback in sepia tone during the waterfall boss cutscene? That one didn't cause any problems?

Yeah, and that's why this is so confusing. Is it because this one is longer and has dialogue?

Genocyber posted:

I made a video of the hammerhood fight since OFS didn't show it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2pC0uMFlg

Also the cutscene he couldn't record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7-1-Vc2vVs

The fps dips for a bit there but it's mostly fine.

:allears:

I might have to work these in somehow.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alacron posted:

I'm positive that 8 has a bank, though I can't remember exactly where it is off the top of my head.

There are two. They're a bit of a ways away.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The next morning, we're off to the Albert mansion to... be apologized to. Look, Jessica's clearly our third party member and she's probably pumped about finding the same guy we're after so she should be joining us!

"Oh! Are you here to see Miss Jessica, too? She's otherwise engaged at the moment. I should leave her to it if I were you.

Let's bug them anyway.

Have a nice life!

Lorenzo is voiced just this once. It really adds to his foppishness.

: "Are you entirely bereft of compassion!? Will you not mourn your own brother's death!?"

"But all you can think of is tradition and family obligations! I'm talking about avenging his murder!"
: "Avenging...? You will stop this foolishness this instant! You are a young lady, not a warrior!"

"Our family's way? Who cares about our family's way!?"

"That's why my mind is made up. I don't care about the consequences. I'm going to make Alistair's murderer pay."
: "..."

Jessica takes disowning rather well.

Several seconds pass...

Enough time for Jessica to put on an enitrely new outfit.

"Are you really leavin', Jessica?"
"Yeah. I am. And I want you two to watch over the village while I'm gone."

"(Sob, sob...! Sniff...)"
"Come on. Chin up. Your mission guarding my room is over. I want you to patrol outside from now on!"
"Yes, sir!"

The kids run off.

Jessica storms off after this line.

Since the kids aren't guarding her room, it's open for pillaging now.

The only item of note in here though is the outfit Jessica was just wearing. She can equip it to...

Wait where is she she should be in my party now

wait she's probably downstairs or at the town gates or something yeah that must be it

No she's not there. Uh.

Oh goddammit Jessica why won't you just join the team?

The tower gave enough gold to finally complete armor upgrades, and not a moment too soon.

Trode is still on Dhoulmagus. Oh, right, theoretically we're still chasing him.

Yangus has like fifteen different things to say about Jessica in the span of five minutes.

The way to Port Prospect is the prong of this fork that doesn't lead to the tower.

Or is it branch? It's a fork in the road and forks have prongs, but that just sounds so silly...

Thread challenge: What should I call the different parts of a fork in the road?

To the south is the ocean. Unlike around Farebury, it's not sheer cliff either.

Perfect for exploring! Port What-spect?

Man o' wars have paralyzing attacks, despite sharing a model with healslimes.

A chest on the beach!

Wait it's one of the two seeds I can't just use willy nilly for Reasons.

I forget if See Urchins have tricks because

Yabbies are goddamn brutal. And they act twice a round.

They very quickly disembowel Eight.

TACTICAL RETREAT! Eight's guts are already missing so what's the problem with leaving the rest of him there?

Luckily having a few Chimera Wings in the bag means we aren't totally boned!

My friend is loving dead can't you just put it on a tab?

Gee, we're lacking someone who can handle magic attacks. It's almost like there was a character who was introduced by flinging magical fireballs who has yet to join.

Near the port are the two new enemies. They're pallete swaps.

Spiked Hares just psyche up.

Jailcats are wizards somehow.

Crack hurts this early on. Jailcats are the most threatening things here.

Besides Yabbies.

But we don't want to talk about Yabbies. :gonk:

Seventeen points at level 10. Just keep this in mind for a bit.

The other chest is the other seed I can't use for Reasons. Bloody hell.

Finally, we get to Port Prospect.

Wisdom relates to the damage of magical attacks. I could explain it if anyone in the team had a magical attack.

Well #3, you got gold?

"Why don't I go back to the sea? Well, it's not that simple. That's why I'm so confused! It's the boss... He's the greatest boss in the whole ocean, but he's been acting all weird lately. He always used to be so nice, but now he's angry all the time. He's scaring the scales off everyone! He even chased me away just because I was salivating a bit over his food!"

This lady tells us about skills. As in, she vaguely describes what they do and tells us how many points we are away from the next bonus, like how I'm one from Power Throw.

So the ferry had one really really weird trip and has not moved since.

'One night, weak and weary, as I trod through wasteland dreary, I chanced upon the ruins of an ancient ship. Why was it abandoned so far from the sea? I was never able to determine a satisfactory answer, and in fact ponder the question to this very day. Could ancient ships sail on land as well as sea? My wonder at this fateful and mysterious discovery will never cease.'

The weapon shop has the first spear and scythe. Buying the spear here is a bad idea, and the scythe costs a fucktillion gold.

I need three.

I wonder how they afford this entire place?

This old lady sighs wistfully about some weirdo.

The main form of transport from two major landmasses is owned by the Alberts. No wonder they're rich.

You already look shady as hell so what could the problem be?

The main form of transport from two major landmasses, one of which has a major religious establishment. This is what we call recognizing a niche.

Half a brain

"My apologies, Miss Jessica, but the waters are simply too dangerous at the moment..."
"Haven't you been listening? I TOLD you I'd take care of that!"
"Please forgive me, Lady Jessica! There'd be hell to pay from the Albert family if we put you in danger!"

She looks around for a second before...

"Ah! Speak of the devil!"

"I wanted to properly apologize to you! Well, whatever. I'm glad you're here now. Actually, I have a favour to ask. Would you mind comnig over here for a minute?"

"Well, yes, but... But, I mean..."

S-sturdy?

"Er... Oh, well... Actually, we've been looking for someone to take on that very job ourselves!"

I don't think the game's going to go anywhere if we don't.

"I knew I could count on you. I still cn't get what we saw in the tower out of my mind. Who is this Dhoulmagus, and what does he want? And why did he murder my brother? I'll track him to the ends of the earth. But first, we've got to make the waters safe for ships to sail."

"I'll be waiting here. Come back as soon as you're ready."

You have no idea, Yangus.

You have no idea.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'll probably get a few of Jessica's alternate outfits but besides the Dancer's Costume none of them will see significant use as they range from Not the Princess Robe to Not the Princess Robe, Goddammit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Meaty Ore posted:

The ferryman won't let her fight the big bad monster, so she hired a pair of half-brained scrubs sturdy men to do the job instead.

Fixed that for you.

DARPA Dad posted:

man you people are really bad at these games

Eh, we are talking about JRPGs here. It's not like being good at them is really worth bragging about.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Numbers posted:

Fisticuffs is actually pretty good, it's just that most of the characters have better options.

Every character has a reason to go into it, but for Eight and Yangus it's for a multitarget option that compliments another skill as a single-target option.

Let's take Yangus for example. At 42 points he gets Thin Air, and has three things left in Fisticuffs. At 60 he'll get Multifists, an attack that hits four times at 1/3 normal strength, which is... a little weird when he's long since had Knuckle Sandwich's 1.5 multiplier. Next is Attack +45. It sounds impresive, but this requires him to be level 17. At that point you've got multiple ways of getting an Iron Axe, which has 38 attack. Finally, maxing gets Boulder Toss, which seems good... but Thin Air scales up with level and by level 38 (when you can finally max a skill) it's pretty much on par. And it'll overtake it soon enough.

Eight's the same story with a little rearrangement. Jessica has Magic Burst at 100 which is a legit skill. 4th party member gets amazing defensive tools at 21 and 68 points but no Thin Air.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"Okay, then! Quartermaster prepare the ship!"
"Aye aye, sir!"

Khalamari

There's probably a sea shanty for sailing knowingly into death out there.

Until then, have some nice shots of boats. I think it was them saying "Hey! We're in full 3D now!"

But it seems that something is lurking below the surface.

Giant squids do make some pretty intimidating sea monsters, yeah.

"I hates it too, Tickles! These nasty humans and their ships, always sailin' over poor Khalamari's head!"
"Yeah, Tenta, yeah! Humans don't have no manners!"

Oh so our sea monster is insane. That's probably not good.

"That's why Khalamari's gonna stand up for all the poor creatures of the sea! Starting by eatin' these here humans!"
"Yeah, Tickles! He'll eat 'em! Eat 'em right up!"

Oh shi-

Defeat The Enemy

I think I forgot to link this with Geyzer and it's a shame. Defeat The Enemy is pretty much everything you could ask for in boss battle music.

code:
KHALAMARI       #262            LV:16 AQUATIC
HP:360          ATK:63          COMMON: 0/256
MP:INF          DEF:16          
EXP:311         AGL:17          RARE:   0/256
GOLD:230        EVD:0/64  	
RESISTANCES:
FRIZZ/SIZZ/WOOSH/CRACK/FLAME/ICE/TROOP/DAZZLE/SAP
IMMUNITIES:
DEATH/PARALYSIS/SHOCK/SLEEP/FIZZLE/BAN DANCE
DRAIN MAGIC
---------------------------------------------------
SPELLS & ABILITIES:
CLEAN SWEEP
FLAME BREATH
So, Khalamari's a hell of a lot meaner than Geyzer.

The big issue here is his flame breath attack.

It... loving hurts, to say the least.

Clean Sweep isn't too much nicer.

But it doesn't hit nearly as hard.

Yangus psyched up to 50. Eight's too busy casting Heal nearly every turn. If you aren't careful Khalamari can put you in a pickle where you aren't hitting him that often, and you don't have the resources for battles of attrition yet.

Of course, in this run I get absurdly lucky with evasion. I'm going to cite both party members having Bunny Tails equipped as though 2 agility matters.

The previous two he moved before Eight and killed him right before Yangus dealt the finishing blow. Twice. I hate randomized turn orders.

Yangus deserves a gold medal or a blue ribbon or something his performance here. Couldn't have done it without him and those helm splitters.

Bosses falling over so dramatically is so rewarding, though I don't think any of them do it quite as elaborately as Khalamari.

Man, if only Jessica were here for this, but she seems to have evaporated right as cutscene ended and gameplay hit.

It's worth noting Khalamari speaks in three different voices through this scene.

"It wasn't our fault, though! It was HIS! That's right, it was!"

Oh great, Dhoulmagus may in fact be Jesus. That makes things complicated.

"Pretty cheeky of a human to pull that little trick off, we thought, so we talked to him, we did!"

So his powers include arsony, paralysis, smug teleporting, awkward hugs, stabbing, walking on water, and confusing squids.

"We found it in the ocean, we did. Go on, take it, mate! It's the least we can do, it is, it is."

Sweet , it's four defence and it is used a hell of a lot more in alchemy than the slime earrings.

Oh, right, we'll get alchemy next update. I'm glad I'll get to stop just hinting at it.

You aren't so bad of a squid, when you stop exhaling fire on us.

Only in Dragon Quest do you get a magic statue's flashback to her brother's murder and get to fight a fire-breathing squid for her before a girl tells you her name.

"Yangus and the guv, is it? Right. Thanks again for your help with the sea monster. Now, let's find Dhoulmagus! I'm sure you need to get ready first, so let's head back to Port Prospect. I'll tell the captain to weigh anchor."

Yangus and the Guv would be a good name for a band.

"I called you two thieves back at the tower, and I never formally apologized. So..."

Eh, we kind of are pillagers. You know, since we have an item of her clothing in our possession.

"Anyway. I'll talk to the captain."

Back at Port Prospect...

"I figured you'd like to rest and buy provisions before we set sail again. I'll be waiting for you here. Don't take too long now! We've got work to do!"

Yangus is impressed we managed to not die horribly to a giant squid. Khalamari is the last time for quite a while that a boss will be hard.

There's nothing to do here and so much we can do after the trip, so...

Jessica

"You're after Dhoulmagus just like I am, right? We're fighting for the same reasons."

Finally. If Jessica isn't the best character in the game, she's in the top 3.

"I've got a great feeling about this. Thanks, guys."

This is also one of two times we'll here the little 'joins the party' tune, since DQ8 has a tight cast and half of it was already there when the game began.

"Well, now that that's taken care of, let's go!"

Oh, right, we left grandad outside.

Quay is pronounced "kee" by the way.

Since Jessica finally officially joined the party and I can't stand to wait one more bit, let's get her skill voting out of the way. Don't worry, this one will be simple compared to the previous two, for a few reasons.

First, Knives is the worst skill in the game. You know the problems with Clubs? Knives doesn't even have its redeeming traits. Its focused on poison and instant death-inflicting attacks, when nearly everything you'd want to instantly kill nullifies it or is better dealt with through Whack spells, and poison is tiny, tiny damage. Second, it takes 66 points to get Toxic Sword, which is 5/4 regular damage, her first positive multiplier. Knives is bad. We're not going to use it.

Whips's marquee skill is Twin Dragon Lash, which hits two randomly selected targets for x1.5 damage each. When there's only one enemy, both hits land squarely to deal triple normal damage. It's such a ridiculous multiplier that Jessica is secretly the hardest hitting physical attacker in the entire game.

This skill is learned at 23 points.

You may notice that Jessica is getting 9 skill points here. Her skill point growth is ludicrously front-loaded. She'll have the most points of anyone in the party by level 40, so sneaking in Twin Dragon Lash into whatever else we're doing is easy as hell. Nothing else in whips is even remotely useful compared.

Staves aren't for attacking, but for holding while doing something else. Staves will increase Jessica's already impressive MP pool and even passively regenerate it, while affording her a wide variety of spells. The notable thing here is Caduceus, an ability that restores around 70 HP to a single target. It's the equivalent of Midheal, and it costs no MP. as you can imagine, having free healing is loving handy. The other item is Kazing at 100 points. Kazing is a fantastic revival spell so naturally giving our wizard so many options means whatever else we do Staves is getting maxed.

Now on to the actual choice.

Jessica also gets Thin Air through Fisticuffs, and unlike Yangus and the guv her MP is somewhere between "insane" and "nigh infinite" allowing her to fling them constantly. While the SP cost is higher compared to Eight and Yangus, Jessica can still handle it relatively well while picking up a passive evasion increase. More importantly, Jessica has a reason to max Fisticuffs in the spell Magic Burst. It spends all her MP to deal a cosmic fuckton of damage. At level 38 she'll have 261 MP minimum, which would translate to 522 damage. Now throw in Staves increasing her max MP and it gets even more painful. Magic Boost also is boosted by tension, which just throws it over the top.

Or, we can go with Sex Appeal to have a more defensive-oriented Jessica. The main things here are Charm Attack, a passive way of making enemies randomly lose turns, and its 100-point skill Hustle Dance, which recovers around 80 HP to all party members. At no MP cost. For gently caress's sake it's goddamn Multiheal but free.

It also has a move called Sexy Beam.

At level 43 Jessica will have 227 skill points. Since Kazing would take 100 and Twin Dragon Lash takes 23 and Knives is poo poo, the question is where the other 100 goes. We've got two skills each with legitimate reasons to be maxed, and they point Jessica in opposite directions.

Do we go with a Fisticuffs-based Offensive build or a Sex Appeal-based defensive build?

Vote here to pick!

Oh, uh, if you were wondering about the three points in Staves there, here's why.

Accelerattle is a fantastic spell and will see use in literally every boss battle from here on and there is no way I am living without it for any amount of time.

Next time, alchemy begins. We're hosed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

From what I've heard Twin Dragon Lash is all Jessica needs in terms of offense once you get it, and Magic Burst will basically cripple her unless you have a way to restore MP. I can't remember if that's easy in this game, so let's got with the defensive sex appeal.

Elfin Elixirs, which fully restore MP, are piss easy to get. Just takes two magic waters and a yggdrasil leaf, all of which are in infinite supply.

Word on the Wind posted:

At this point, I need a reminder: Can you switch out weapons mid-battle and if so does it blow a turn?

you get to reequip anything that's in a character's personal inventory freely and it doesn't take turns to do so.

Nihilarian posted:

Also, are skills usable if you're using the wrong weapon? Can Angus use Helmsplitter with a club, for example?

Weapon abilities can only be used, and traits are only in effect, if the correct weapon or lack of one is equipped. Eight can't use crosscutter throw without a boomerang equipped, for example.

Spells, like Accelerattle, can be used regardless of weapon, and abilities and traits from the personal skill like Sexy Beam and Charm Attack from Sex Appeal are always options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Vote's been on for two and a half hours now. It's 38/23 in favor of sex appeal at the moment. A commanding lead, but this early nothing's for certain yet.

• Locked thread