Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I was lucky - I was able to split the cost of this with a friend due to the FF12 demo. He got the demo, and I got the game. Looking forward to this LP, since its been a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Out of curiosity, who here has played all the Dragon Quest(/Warrior if you're old school) games?

I've played at least one version each of I-IX, all of the Monsters and Joker games, Rocket Slime, and Torneko: The Last Hope (A roguelike based on Taloon released for the Playstation).

Because I love grinding in video games.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
2 & 3 were kind of open-world at a few points - there were a few quests that could be done in any order, but ultimately all had to be done before the game could be completed. There were a few side-quests, but not many. 4 just went full story, and with 5 and on most sidequest stuff was just pushed to the post-game.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

I mean, yeah DQ/W have very singular direction to their plots, but they are still very open world, and spend very little time giving you signposts to where you should go and what you should next do, and I would argue that's by design.

DW7 is incredibly railroaded. There is no way to do any of the dungeons out of order, though there are several collectibles that can be grabbed at any point. 6 was also pretty bad about that, but had better pacing.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I never used Omniheal with the Hero because I fully committed to Jessica's non-weapon skill tree. It ends with a 0MP ability that heals the party and can be boosted by Tension.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

thetrueoskar posted:

Personally, I think all Jessica needs are a nice pair of weapon-grade pants. Bodacious breeches. Terrifying trousers. And another alliteration that means the same sort of thing.

Replace her non-weapon skill tree with pants-based ones, perhaps. Or include one as an equippable whip, her holding onto one leg? Add a zipper for a paralyzing effect. Pyjamas cause sleep. I want to make a disco-themed bell-bottom joke, but I can't think of one right now.

Weirdly enough, that last one syncs up with the skill I was referring to perfectly.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hustle Dance is probably my favorite skill in every DQ game it appears. For me, it's the ultimate resource for the lazy/inattentive grind session - just set whoever it is to A.I. Healer and never manage to die while running around to get more money/XP.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

For alchemy sessions I turned the music off, leaned on the controller, and watched episodes of MST3k until I heard that special ding. Turns out PCSX2 accepts controller commands while running in the background.

The happy little 'ding!' of the Alchemy Pot is the best, though. It's the kind of sound effect that makes you think your brownies are done, and that's one of the best feelings in the world.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fionordequester posted:

Yep, speed runs can be pretty silly at times, especially since you end up selling both the Reinforced Boomerang and the Snakeskin Whip to to pay for all those Holy Waters.

But you know what the funniest thing is? Even after doing all that good stuff, even after running away from most every non-metal encounter, even after all that, they STILL can't beat this game in under 12 hours! And in DQ7's case, they haven't even gotten that under 13 hours! Pretty insane how long these games got, isn't it?

To be fair, I find it hard to believe that DQ7 can be done in less than 20. And people are still trying for single-segment runs of this game - that is *nuts*.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

As for the star wars bit I never really got that piece of criticism.

Remember that time that the handsome rogue and his non-human companion rescued a princess and helped a rebellion?
Or that time you went into the desert and killed all of the whatever the desert monsters were called (I really only ever thought of them as Tuskan Raiders)?
Or the time that you went to the city of sky pirates and met the only black guy?

It's not a 1 for 1 translation, but a lot of the elements are there.

But I always preferred the DQ go to towns and fix their problems to get to more towns until you can get at the final boss structure. It lets you tell both big and little stories, even if it's a bit blurry as to why you have to do something other than set an event flag.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

No, I remember it. I think it was an actual controller that was only sold in Japan around VIII's release.

When I pre-ordered DQVIII (in the US), I was told that I would get that controller, but the store said that they never received any. I occasionally think about hopping online and grabbing one, though.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I just thought of something... what if the princess being a horse is a callback to the original Dragon Quest? In that game, you had to carry a princess, so in this game, the princess carries you. And your stuff.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My viewpoint - he's the high priest of a benevolent goddess. He's been doing good works for most, if not all, of his life. He's in heaven, his goddess is telling him his work is done and he doesn't have to leave - why would he?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Alacron posted:

I'm not quite sure when Dragon Quest games became such a dumping ground of terrible puns, but god if I don't love that poo poo. :allears:

Dragon Quest 7 had an ability named QuickJoke that was literally a pun so bad that the enemies lost turns. It was primarily used by Jesters and God. There were between 50-100 puns written for that ability.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
DQ7 was released before the merger, as I recall. It was also the only part of the core series to hit North America since DQ4, though we did see a lot of re-releases as well as the pretty fun Dragon Warrior Monsters games.

EDIT: Beaten by a Dr Pepper.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
While Choco1980 is correct in that FF also missed a similar number of releases over that time period, let's look at it another way - In the West, there was no DQ release on the SNES and it also pretty much missed the entire Playstation era as well. During those years we got a couple of re-releases/remakes and spinoffs (Like the wonder that is the Dragon Quest Monster series), but not really a new game. The graphics on 7 were dated as hell which still would have been fine if they hadn't tried to also include a couple of 3D FMVs which were beyond awful. I was only as into it as I was because I had gotten into emulation and classic gaming so I was able to actually find translations of 5 & 6 as well as actually being able to play through 2-4 (which I had only ever been able to rent before).

So yeah, I feel that the missing releases were a contributing factor to the lackluster sales of DQ7. But the content, writing, and localization in DQ7 is some of the best you'll ever find.

EDIT: In any case, DQ8 also has solid writing, content, and localization as well as some pretty good voice acting that matches the characters pretty well. It felt like it was getting more back to basics in a DQ4 or 6 way, more focused on personal adventuring stories rather than an epic plot.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 24, 2015

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

I'm not seeing Rocket being playable in this game and that, my friends, is an unforgivable crime. :colbert:

There's a lot of games that don't seem to be represented - DQ1,2,3 and 7 seem to be entirely MIA. I'm also surprised that Taloon isn't available, since he's got his own spinoffs.

EDIT: Rickvoid, the guy summoning monsters appears to be Terry from DQ6. He also had a part in the first Dragon Quest Monsters game, which might explain a bit about that.
DOUBLEEDIT: I think that the Nobunaga looking-guy might be the Dragon Lord, or some kind of relative.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2015

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The n00b Avenger posted:

I remember the DQ4 double or nothing game could screw you because it shows one card and you have to pick from four cards and guess which one is higher than the shown card.

Thing is, sometimes none of the 4 cards are higher =/

IIRC DQ6(I think it was 6) fixed this by changing it to guessing if the next card is higher or lower

Sometimes the Higher/Lower is rigged so that you can't win, though - there were a few times when I saved state, selected higher or lower, and the next card would change to make me wrong. Mostly happens when you start winning a hilarious amount, though.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the Monster Arena announcer is intentionally referencing Celebrity Deathmatch?

And all of this monster arena stuff is contributing to a desire to make a Dragon Warrior Monsters LP.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Meaty Ore posted:

Hell, you have to be insane to try beating Dragon Quest 2 to begin with, at least the old NES version. That said, I have done so. The last boss' Heallall is the least of your worries in the endgame; just getting to the final boss is a crapshoot. A frequently-encountered enemy loves to cast Sacrifice first thing in battle--an instant party wipe, with 100% accuracy.

There's also another enemy, the Blizzard, that can also just cast Defeat. It's not perfectly accurate, but it is a kill spell in a game where resurrection outside of towns is basically unheard of. Long story short, the Road to Rhone is absurd.
For DW7, my party ranged around the mid-30s, but I also did a lot of grinding. There's a lot of just walking around and talking in that game - from what I understand, the current speedrun is still more than 16 hours.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Luckily this chest is distracted by sexy. This is the message for when Charm Attack kicks in.

The chest is distracted by a chest? I wonder if this was a deliberate, pun-based weakness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

That's not how Square-Enix JRPGs go! :arghfist::saddowns: The final boss is supposed to be a total pushover and the hardest boss is either the second-to-last one or the bonus boss completely irrelevant to the plot that you have to minmax grind to absurdly stupid degrees to even have a chance against!

Hey! In the earlier Dragon Quest games that had bonus bosses on their first release (pretty much just 6 & 7, as far as I know), the bonus bosses are surprisingly and hilariously related to the plot. You still have to do massive grinding for them, mind you. Whether or not this game has a bonus boss that is relevant to the plot we'll just have to wait and see.

• Locked thread