Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I have a tendency to play halfway through Dragon Quest games and lose interest once it starts taking hours to get a single level or get a new piece of equipment, and this one is no exception. So let's see where this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

YggiDee posted:

Oh man I remember playing DQ VIII a decade ago but I never made it to the end, I am excited to see this :)

It just hit me that I'm not 18 anymore. You bastard.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 31, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Anything, as long as you man out Yangus' Humanity for reasons.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I thought you said "hug the mourners" and I think that would be sweet of Yangus to do.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't believe I forgot about Yangus and Trode, the original Abbott and Costello.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
From what I've heard Twin Dragon Lash is all Jessica needs in terms of offense once you get it, and Magic Burst will basically cripple her unless you have a way to restore MP. I can't remember if that's easy in this game, so let's got with the defensive sex appeal.

Huh. Never thought I'd be rooting for a girl to use her feminine wiles for me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jessica may have the highest Intelligence, but near as I've been able to tell, Intelligence has never done much, if anything, in the whole series (except with monsters in DQV). Spells always hover around a set damage amount. So what's it do?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Wayne posted:

Int used to determine how much MP you got when you leveled up (and for some of the games, it some factor of it was your magic evasion chance too). Basically the game rolls a small die where the median number is based on your Int, and you get some number in that range. If you played DQ4, that's why Mara and Brey got consistently more MP than everyone else and the gap only got bigger at higher levels.

In DQ8, it affects the probability of you getting good rolls. Jessica's spells are more likely to roll higher damage (but still can't exceed the cap of the spell she's casting) or inflict whatever status effect like Sleep she's trying than anybody else. I don't know if it still applies to magic evasion anymore, though.

Nice to see I'm in good company with everybody else who sold their starter gear before finding out about the Alchemy Pot. :(:respek:

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that, but I don't have any games handy to check it out.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Going with the generic name of the hero, let's go with Team Team

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jessica looks so much more natural leading a team of monsters than Eight does. I think it's a combination of the eyes and her pose with that hand on the hip. Jessica would NOT be a pokemon trainer you'd wanna fight.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I haven't played this game in 9 years. Haven't touched it, probably haven't even thought about it until this LP. And then I saw the first pic of the dungeon, and all of a sudden, I remembered playing this part. Which was weird, considering how bland everyone kept saying it was and how bland it looked. I racked my brains for a few minutes before reading on.

And then I saw the boss.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is about where I got before I had to stop playing. I'm curious about what happens next. Dhoulmagus is effectively cornered, but that hasn't stopped villains before. Is chasing Dhoulmagus the entire game it's own gigantic fetchquest?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
But in Dragon Quest V the main character isn't the hero. That's still one of my favorite twists.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Charmles? More like Charmless am I right fellas?

I'll see myself out

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Medea will be marrying Charmles, as has been stated many times. Their love is pure and true.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That reminds me of the Mudo (or whatever he's called in the DS version) fight in DQVI. It's been built up since the beginning, two forms, the first boss to do multiple attacks per round, and arguably he hardest fight in the game (if only because you don't have access to all the abilities yet).

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bahamut Lagoon has some fantastic armors. Although to be fair, the weapons are all straight upgrades and various elements. Not a whole lot of special properties to be found there.

God I love that game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

mauman posted:

Yeah, Debora was really cool. Felt like she had actual development as a character compared to the other two, who were kinda static.

For extra bonus points, she was actually worth using unlike the other two wives who were instantly outclassed.

I never played the DS version, but Flora was actually one of the better mages in the SNES version, plus you got some extra treasures along the way (including a VERY early Water Flying Clothes)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Flora levels normally once you get her back at the end, but yeah that level cap was dumb

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Lunar Eternal Blue Complete thread will finish one day. Any time now. Lucia has a mission

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Darunia was a Sage. You tell me he wouldn't have been the tank in that 7 person party. Go ahead and try

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
ddgenha's version of Alena remains one of my favorite RPG characters of all time

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh hey I forgot about this LP!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is also assuming Trump's presidency doesn't result in everyone getting nuked. Although I'm sure OFS has some kind of exploit to protect against it. Maybe a certain combination of equipment that has an unexpected bonus of protecting against nuclear war. So at least we know if the rest of us are blown up, OFS will still be here, posting an update every year.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm gonna go on record as saying I enjoyed Curse of the Sinistrals. I'm tired of living in shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My big beef with it is the Dragon Eggs. Some are ridiculous. Although I got Amon's pretty easy because he is Tia's little bitch boy. Beat that guy in like 15 seconds with her.

• Locked thread