Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I had played Dragon Quest 5 at an old expo a long while back and I was instantly hooked despite having very little idea what was going on. When 8 was released and I actually had the platform to play it, I wanted it so badly my parents got it for my birthday. It was the best gift I received that year.

Even Mom had high praise for the music in that it actually *sounded* good; she never did enjoy the midi beeps and boops and cartoony music of Nintendo, so this was the first time she heard something that was actually orchestrally done.

Afterwards when the DS had many releases and re-releases, I picked all of them up because 8 made me fall in love with Dragon Quest. The fact that a game can include religion and not make it immediately evil or antagonistic, but also not glaringly obvious or "shove down your throat" about it made it some of the best RPGs around.

When I saw this thread I smiled really bright, and the fact that it's OFS doing it is just icing on the cake. I can't wait to see how this turns out! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Booms and Swords for Eight, Axes and Scythes for Yangus. This is what I rolled with and it therefore is the best way. :colbert:

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
The biggest problem with IX was that it was multiplayer, and in Japan where everyone plays DQ, you can find friends and all go on an adventure and murder everything, and that's super fun. In the US, no one for miles around even owns a 3DS so you're stuck playing on your own with faceless machinations instead of joining up with your friends and being goddamn holy angel warriors murdering demons and being badass.

I ended up getting around towards the end of the game before I came back home from university and convincing my sister to play with me. We had a lot of fun; I played the Heal/Magic class so I could help her out with the murder, and we had so much fun with the story. By the end of the game she was not interested in the endgame, but that was okay; the game itself was fun with her and we enjoyed ourselves because we did it together.

DQIX just won't be VIII in terms of fun just because the point of the game was to connect with other people and have fun with them rather than playing solo.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Agility seeds should go on Angelo. I forgot what level I was at when I beat the last boss but I seem to recall Trode asking me why I was so underleveled, and literally the only reason I was ever able to survive was sticking Angelo on AI and hoping he would heal the correct person. Luckily when you put the AI on "NEVER STOP HEALING", they do good on it. Having him faster when we get to the harder bosses would make things go a lot smoother.

Everything else I don't care, honestly.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
This is the worst part in the game for me. I can handle all the other minor fetch quest things like going to the dungeon to help save a town, but this just dragged on for so long, and for some reason I'm always at this part in the game when my friends are watching me play it. I always have to tell them that it's so much better than what they're seeing now, really guys I'm honest!

• Locked thread