Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aw man, you know I'm following the poo poo out of this. It's been a long, long time since I played Dragon Quest VIII, but I remember it being nigh-on-perfection. I love the art, I love the writing, I love the gameplay (save the grinding), I love the voice acting, I love the music. It's classical RPG nirvana. Unfortunately, it also seems to emulate like rear end and my PS2 is dead as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'll be interested to see how you develop your skills here. I always found levels and Skill points to be two sparse to really focus on more than two trees, which is a shame.

Aw man, I loving love this game's world map, though. More games should have to-scale world maps rather than the old tropes of making the character the size of a city. Makes the grinding way more tolerable - most regions of the world have tons and tons and tons of poo poo to find, and going out looking for it all will typically get you into enough fights to get most of your leveling done. Plus it just looks fantastic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

I picked up the game much later when it hit bargain bins, but only played a couple hours (like basically went out and fought Rogue Tomato, then saved outside Rabanastre). My biggest issues from the demo were still there (ATB being tortuously slow, enemies respawning too fast) so I shelved it. I've considered going back to it and employing degenerate power leveling tactics to speed through the game better, but so much to play, so little time, you know.

Been a while since I played 12, but I'm pretty sure there's an option to adjust the ATB speed somewhere in there. Look into it if you ever feel like giving 12 another shot. I really enjoyed it - gameplay-to-story ratio gets skewed in a few places (towards gameplay, of all things! There's a few points in the game where you have to hike halfway across the world with only a handful of cutscenes to remind you where exactly you're going) and I found the battles hit or miss, but I found the story and world to be really neat. Very different from the archetypical FF.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

But the support skills, those play dividends consistently throughout the entire game. :allears:

Oh yeah. Managing buffs and debuffs quickly becomes non-loving-optional as they become available.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

drat. Would have preferred fisticuffs, barely seen those...but then, I've barely seen boomerangs either, so this is okay.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zurai posted:

DQ8 is such an incredibly well-done game on pretty much every level. Well-written (it's a fairly simple story but it's still very well done IMO), beautifully animated, excellent voice acting, a great mixture of silly and serious, and it's not nearly as grindy as many other Enix games.

Oh yeah. You can pretty much spell out most of the game's plot points about 3 moves in advance and it never really diverges from archetype, but you never give a gently caress because the writing's light-hearted and clever, and the voice acting's great and charming, and it's all delivered with masterful polish.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's early to say, but I really like Dhoulmagus as a villain. In a way, I like him better than...well, no, let's just say, I like Dhoulmagus. I have a lot to say about him once we have more to actually say, he's a character who I both wish had more development and also praise the development he does have. He's a really excellent antagonist--which, come to think of it, is something the DQ series has always been pretty good about.

...I really wish the DQVII remake would make it to the States.

He's a gently caress. And he's having a great time doing it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The checkpoint there is a nice little setpiece. Your first piece of evidence that Dhoulmagus is bad news, you just walk up and uh, drat, someone turned these doors to splinters. They don't make a cutscene out of it either - they just let you take from it what you will.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I believe they've shown up in tiny pixelated sprite form before. They're one of the standard Random NPC Types in this game, so we'll be seeing dozens of them (or just one, with a knack for accents and beating us to where we're going).

Nah, they're cousins. Like Nurse Joy, but bound by a love of bodybuilding and cattle more than a specific profession.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Minor nitpick - but I'm pretty sure that helm-splitter can't crit, which would at least discourage you from using it on an enemy whose defense won't go any lower.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yeah, and that's why this is so confusing. Is it because this one is longer and has dialogue?

I bet the first one was pre-rendered, but the last one was definitely in-engine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not surprised the church charges people for the miracle of conquering death. I'm surprised that they managed to figure that poo poo out and then only charge fifty bucks to do it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So anyone else want to hear the thrilling tale of how Eight turned Yangus straight? :v:

Also, I'd forgotten how good Trode's voice actor is. "PUT A SOCK IN-!?!" is delightfully huffy and indignant.

Also also, Alchemy is great. It won't quite break the game wide open on its own, at least not for the entire game, since levels and key spells/abilities still matter a whole lot, but when you know what recipes to go for you can both generate way better equipment than you can buy and synthesize stuff that will either let you heal for cheap or sell off for profit. Weapon shops become better for Alchemy materials than for raw equipment.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^ - Invalid recipes just immediately spit your items back out at you, no cooking required.

Sloober posted:

Alchemy doesn't quite smash it to pieces, because there are still things you cannot get without having access to certain areas or monsters. There's things that make it easier and things that are very convenient but nothing that is outright "This game is now my bitch" mode. It's a nice system you can flat out ignore the first play through if you want, although it'll be a bit harder it is perfectly doable.

Yeah - although I would say it's possible to synthesize more stuff than it seems like the game really expects you to. It feels like if you synthesize nothing at all then the game is balanced to be brutally difficult (without overlevelling), if you pick up a few key items/weapons it gets easier, and if you go hog wild with guides and detours to get yourself as decked out as you can be, you can make things relatively straight forward - though not quite a pushover.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sloober posted:

You don't really have to grind in this game if you aren't doing a speedrun or really, really want a walk in the park - the only thing where it would be useful on is postgame content, up to that point just not running and exploring is enough to keep you up with the difficulty

Meh. I remember having to go a bit out of my way to get up to 30ish and get Eight's multiheal to give myself a managable bout with Dhoulmagus.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh man I forgot how much that scene owned. :allears:

Angelo's fantastic in this scene as well. He's got these missable reaction gags every time he's in the background of a shot in the bar fight, and then it comes out that he actually was cheating and he's so delightfully :smug:. It's been said before, but they really nailed the character expressions in this game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Can you actually cook food in the alchemy pot? Will there be cake?

Cheese, definitely, and I'd like to say there's some other food-related items you can brew up as well. It's definitely not nearly as much as Ni-No-Kuni, though - one of the best things about that game was having your Alchemy Genie mass produce cheeseburgers and milkshakes to keep your party fit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, I'm pretty sure Angelo doesn't punch- I think he roundhouses people like a show off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Makes sense - drawing the bowstring should be a much larger motion than adjusting your aim.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

So we've got Gohan, Yajirobe, and Trunks. Which character is Jessica?

Dunno, but Dhoulmagus is rather Freeza.

God, Dhoulmagus is such a gently caress. I love him. His voice actor's great, and laying that performance atop a fantastic ambient piece like Stalked By Fear just lends Dhoulmagus such a sense of menace, I loving love it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mauman posted:

Angelo might be a bit of a perv....

But he's got NOTHING on King Trode.

Keep in mind, he's saying this poo poo with his daughter right there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hmm, boh, boe, and jum. I don't get the "jumbo" pun.

All will be made clear soon enough.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Dragon Quest really embraces being a fairy tale. It gives it a really timeless quality.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Come to think of it, this is the first concrete "victory" the party has achieved. Up until now, it's been little more the skirmishes with monsters while being completely helpless in the face of the real villain. Helping this town, even if it was basically finding someone to get the king to stop wallowing in self-pity, was good for morale. Sure, it probably wasn't all that important on the large scale (at least not until much later, I'm guessing) and had nothing to do with your goal, it was a nice change to make you more motivated to keep going.

That's probably the main reason the sequence is here, come to think of it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zurai posted:

I love, love, love this little quest. It's just a perfect fairy tale, it gives excellent characterization to both the King and his Queen by showing, not telling, and it also explains why his people didn't rise up in arms against him. Everybody loved Queen Sasha because she was wise and beautiful and an absolutely perfect companion to their King. The nation didn't mourn because the King told them to, they mourned with him because she was their Queen, too, and they loved her. Then the heroes come along and venture through a shadow window into the land of moonlight to speak to a fairy elf harpist person, who shows the King carefully selected memories of the past to help him move along from his grief and grow into an even better King for his people.

It's superbly written and designed. This is one of the peaks of the game, for me. There are parts later that drag on a bit, but this just hits the perfect note and is perfectly placed in the game.

It helps that the music is sublime. Dragon Quest doesn't pack too many hummable melodies like you'd get from Kaijura or Uematsu, but they evoke the spirit of the scene perfectly.

Mazed posted:

Did Jessica or Trode get any commentary throughout this sequence, or was it just Yangus and Angelo?

Trode doesn't go into Towns or Dungeons, so you can't talk to him at all through most of this sequence. You can talk to Jessica, but I assume OFS just didn't find it interesting enough to bring up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah - DQ and Final Fantasy have set out to do very different things for a long time. I certainly think there's a place in the industry for both franchises, when they're on form.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Morrie is the best character in this game and he allows you access to some of the best features in this game. He is the best thing in this game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus. I didn't know the game described anyone killed by Kamikaze as getting blown to bits. Poor Eight. :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gotta be Memento Morrie.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God, I loving adore the Monster arena in this game. Building a sickass team of dragons or a team with a cool gimmick is so satisfying, especially with some of the perks available to those who get deep into the arena.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, call team is fantastic, especially because (minor mechanical spoilers - I can edit these out if OFS asks) when you call a monster team out in the field, if a monster uses any kind of group heal or buff, it also applies to Eight and company when your team is dismissed. As such, a monster with multiheal can potentially reset your party's health by healing while the monsters are the only ones out on the frontline taking damage.

Plus, come on, you're siccing dragons and golems and poo poo on your foes. That's just fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I know I've said before, but Dhoulmagus' voice actor really knocks him out of the park. He's smarmy and hammy, but he's got a great evil laugh and can dial up the menace when he wants to (although Stalked By Fear could make reading the phone book sound menacing, to be fair). Trodain in general is a great sequence. The music's great, it's a satisfyingly challenging dungeon crawl, and for a relatively upbeat game like this it's easily the most shocking and grisly thing we've seen.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mostly like how thoroughly sad this whole area makes Trode. It's a nice way to round him out, keep him from just being the entitled ponce in the wagon.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for that unfortunate interruption, we now resume our regularly scheduled good game.

Edit: poo poo, update late last page.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 3, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, there's still a fair amount of places you're physically blocked from going - mostly because they're landlocked and/or surrounded by mountains you can't dock with. But yeah, there's lots of diversions at sea, especially if you're willing to flee from a few random encounters like a filthy coward. Minor Islands, unique monsters, sidequests like the Mini Medal Island, places that'll be important later but are still worth a look now...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Awww yeah, Talos is one of my favorites, second only to a very special monster you don't actually capture...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dude789 posted:

I must have missed this attack when I played through because surely I would have remembered a pun of this quality

Pun? What pu-oh.

Oh. OH GODDAMMIT

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Welp, we found the bad guy's hideout! Time for the final dungeon, right?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Yeah the biggest issue with using daggers on Jessica is that you're not just brutally whipping things to death.

Twin Dragon Lash is just too loving good. There's almost zero reason to have Jessica ever actually equip anything that doesn't let her use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sigh....

• Locked thread