Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Funny, I just finished playing through this game for the second time a few days ago(first time was some years back) and was wondering if anyone would get around to doing an LP of it. I especially can't wait to see you handle the post-game content once you finally get there. It's such marvelous bullshit, and even if you are decently leveled success comes partly down to good luck.

I'd also like to say that this game is probably one of the best jumping-on points for gamers new to the series. The more modern presentation(actually being able to see your characters act in battle! 3D environments! Fluid animations!) and liberal application of humor make things considerably more accessible to those who aren't hardcore JRPG nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

All these people talking about the FF12 demo. I've yet to touch it almost ten years after getting the game. Also I still regret not getting a Slime controller when I had the chance.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Must be why the clubless builds are winning. Fistcuffs+Scythes and Axes+Scythes are tied. Meanwhile in main character business, boomerangs+swords has commanded a lead. Of 4 votes.

We're only 6 hours in though so anything can change, though.

I honestly never bothered putting points into boomerangs. They do their job well enough without having to put points into them, and are basically redundant after about halfway through the game--everybody generally has better multi-target options by that point. Swords, spears and courage all have so much more to offer as the fights trend toward two to four stronger monsters rather than larger mobs of weak-to-middling enemies.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Impractical, yes. Impossible, no. You can steal Skill Seeds from the repeatable postgame bosses.

To put things in clearer perspective, leveling everybody up to 99 will give each character 350 skill points, out of 500 to max out skills for each character. There are 5 or 6 seeds of skill you can find during the game, for 25-30 skill points (each seed gives 5 points). And you would need 30 seeds to max out all five skillsets on each character, assuming you also bother to grind all the way to 99. But hey, if you're actually nutty enough to try collecting well over 100 seeds of skill, you probably will reach level 99 along the way. All for a handful of skills that may or may not have been useful earlier in the game, but are now utterly worthless since you've already beaten the game and already cleared all of the post-game content multimple times.

In other words, don't even try. It's not worth it. Just start a new game and build your characters differently, for chrissakes.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 1, 2014

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Zurai posted:

Frizz is what used to be Blaze, Sizz is what used to be Firebal. They have different resistances because

I personally liked the old naming conventions better, for the most part--things like HURT and STOPSPELL and BEDRAGON tell you all you need to know about what they do.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

loquacius posted:

Then why hasn't she joined the drat party yet :argh:

The ferryman won't let her fight the big bad monster, so she hired a pair of half-brained scrubs our heroes to do the job instead.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I never saw the point of fisticuffs for anyone but Yangus. Everybody else has other multi-target options, ones good enough to make Thin Air superfluous. For Yangus, that's one of only two multi-target attacks he can get for quite a long while--the other one is in the axes branch, and while it costs no MP, doesn't work nearly as well.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I missed the vote. :( I would have voted for Fisticuffs, if only because I went with Sex Appeal on my recent playthrough as well.

That said, I am really looking forward to upcoming alchemy pot shenanigans. Being able to kit out your whole party with weapons/armor that will last until nearly the halfway point of the game this early is really neat.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 14, 2014

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Cripes, I hate trying to come up with good builds for Angelo. I always end up spreading his skill points too thin, trying to pick up his good "early" skills, which leaves too little for pumping Staves. I always want both Falcon Slash and Multishot, and he just doesn't have a good point distribution to make effective use of both. I voted for bows, just because I went with swords in my last playthrough.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I do find it nice that using bows doesn't preclude Angelo from equipping a shield as well; most RPGs don't let you do that.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Ofecks posted:

You gotta be insane to even attempt those at 25. The official strategy guide said 30 for Cave to Rhone and 35 for Hargon's Castle. Even at max level Hargon's Castle can kick your rear end if you're unlucky with bosses casting Healall. :argh:

Hell, you have to be insane to try beating Dragon Quest 2 to begin with, at least the old NES version. That said, I have done so. The last boss' Heallall is the least of your worries in the endgame; just getting to the final boss is a crapshoot. A frequently-encountered enemy loves to cast Sacrifice first thing in battle--an instant party wipe, with 100% accuracy.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I've always tried using Spike in the arena, thinking that his healing ability could help get me through, but no, he has never, ever, not once cast Multiheal for me. I had started to doubt he even actually has the ability to cast it, but I guess you have the proof right here. Also, gently caress Rank B.

I never knew about pestering the old cheese dude a second time for more, higher-tier cheese. Of course, I rarely use cheeses--they're battle-use only, and the hero usually has something better he can be doing with his turns.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, how is instant alchemy a deal breaker?

Silegna posted:

A good deal breaker. It's a quality of life improvement. Soon as I gots the money, I'm picking it up.

Seriously. Instant Alchemy would only mean less time spent running in place/circles on top of Morrie's place.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

The bosses are the highlight of this game to me. That and alchemy letting you get some endgame-level stuff super early.

My wife got through the 3DS version a while back as well. Managed to get to the last of the new post-qame bosses before giving up in frustration. Being out of practice, I gave it a go myself and don't know how the hell anybody could hope to take it down.

As for the LP, I know OFS is busy with the Pokémon Uranium LP right now, so I'm being patient. poo poo takes time; poo poo games take even more time.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

I finished my 3DS run too. Even the BS bonus bosses, though they took a bit of doing, a lot of seed farming, and occasionally a guide (seriously, 3 moves per turn, plus the ability to do 700+ damage and drat your defense? You might as well show up stark naked!).

Also, if by "last of the new post-game bosses" you mean Estark: He is, and has been in every appearance he's had as far as I know, vulnerable to Sleep. Thus, this makes him the perfect time to break out those Dream Blades; their ability to inflict Sleep on hit more than makes up for their low attack power for this fight. He can't kill you if he never gets a turn, right? (spoilered just in case, despite being pretty much irrelevant to this LP due to differing versions)

:doh: (about the spoiler) Why didn't I think of that? It's even a plot point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Ofecks posted:

An update! It has been too long.

Those blizzard guys and their defeat spells were part of the reason the last area of DQ2 is so infamous.

The blizzard flame guys didn't always hit with their flavor of instant death spells and were probably one of the more easily dealt-with enemies in the final area of the game. No, it was the Gold Batboons who made that part notorious. Their Sacrifice spell hit the whole party with instant death at a 100% success rate, and nothing blocks it.

• Locked thread