Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I felt so very proud when I beat this game and promptly got my rear end handed to me in the bonus content 'cause I focused on Spears over Swords or some poo poo like that.

This game is amazing. I love the world map, I love the music, it has one of my favorite Dragon Quest plots, and I really dig how skill-based it is. You need to be good at RPGs to get far in this game, and it won't hold your hand basically ever. The graphics are gorgeous and god drat can this get an HD port? Can it be on the Wii U?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
As first dungeons go, this game kicks you in the teeth. It's ridiculously challenging, primarily because of the boss. It basically forces you to grind, but at least the world map has lots of cool places to find out of the way to make it easier.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ultrafilter posted:

How practical is it to max out everything for everyone?

It's both impractical AND impossible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

A mecha after my own heart.

Interestingly, I remember when this game came out and that was the prevailing Gamefaqs guide on the subject for awhile--assuming you were leveling up stuff to max. I tried that and found it utterly miserable and had to give up at the halfway point.

Spreading your points out with two focus abilities is far smarter in the long run.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Picking swords is the best move for the post-game, trust me on this.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ultrafilter posted:

A lot of the enemies are originally from the NES-era games. They just got art upgrades for the PS2.

This game does have new enemy designs though. I don't know if there's a resource that shows when what monster was debuted, there was something like that in place in Dragon Quest Monster Joker 2...I think the credits told you what series what monsters were from.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It's early to say, but I really like Dhoulmagus as a villain. In a way, I like him better than...well, no, let's just say, I like Dhoulmagus. I have a lot to say about him once we have more to actually say, he's a character who I both wish had more development and also praise the development he does have. He's a really excellent antagonist--which, come to think of it, is something the DQ series has always been pretty good about.

...I really wish the DQVII remake would make it to the States.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

He's a gently caress. And he's having a great time doing it.

Yeah, and that's what's so great. So many JRPG villains commit huge genocide and poo poo and yet you don't ever really feel like they are utter monsters--this game's villain succeeds on so many levels in making you hate him.

And then there's Marcello. Who may be EVEN BETTER.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Dhoulmagus is a corrupted mash-up of "ghoul" and "magus," so still more.

I also think you could read it as a corruption of "dull" and "magus" which might explain why he's so evil, although it's a stretch in the name of cleverness.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Dragon Quest games have really rarely been character-driven quests. They seem to alternate from having blank slates to having actual casts. In general they aren't as focused on individual stories as, say, Final Fantasy was.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Coal posted:

I'm still kinda upset that there are no plans to translate Terry's Wonderland. DQM1 was one of the best GBC games.

I too think that's a huge waste, I love the DWM games. Everyone should play Joker and Joker 2.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yo dawg, he got a magic staff but he loving stabbed a motherfucker with that poo poo

like yo that's not how you use a staff dawg like drat

punk-rear end clown be crazy and poo poo

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

George posted:

Sexism is over.

sexyism just beginning though

fake edit: sexy babes aren't sexist

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Jessica owns. Jessica's cleavage owns. She's probably the most useful party member in the game too, if you can keep her alive long enough. Giving her about 50 points in staves is practically a must, though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tengames posted:

Sorry, We don't have that spell yet.

Zing!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

alcharagia posted:

Anyone who doesn't vote for a move called Sexy Beam is wrong and should die, just for the record.

This is truth. I want all the cleavage-hating Puritans in this thread to bask in the glory of sexy beam

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It's important for all of us, OFS, that Jessica know how to work a staff.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Final Fantasy XII is loving amazing and beyond the issues with the plot itself, I've never heard a criticism against it that felt valid. People say "It plays itself" but that's not remotely true, it's basically the natural evolution of the ATB system with all of the bullshit cut out. You don't have to tap attack all the drat time, instead you can focus your time on studying the whole battle zone and making broader tactical orders.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

RickVoid posted:

Enter Vaan. Ugh. They throw away three perfectly good main characters in the process of introducing the whiny idiot we get stuck with for several hours.

Eh. He's not really that whiny at all. He resolves all of his angst once he meets Basch and after that he's actually the kind of up-beat optimistic member of the group who encourages Ashe to keep going.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Final Quest Twelve was really good I liked equipping materia to my King Slimes when I was farming Chocobos on the world map.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This is basically the funniest scene in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zurai posted:

And dexterity/dexterous/etc come from the Latin word for right-side/handed. So if you're left-handed, you're sinister, and if you're right-handed, you're dexterous. Yeah, there's been a bias against lefties for a long, long time.

Maybe the Romans knew something we don't. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread