Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So, show of hands, who here got this for the game and not the final fantasy demo CD?

:ocelot:

But then I started playing DQ games with the original on the NES. I am... also not 18 anymore. :sweatdrop:

Charlett posted:

The fact that a game can include religion and not make it immediately evil or antagonistic, but also not glaringly obvious or "shove down your throat" about it made it some of the best RPGs around.

Ditto. I'm a Christian, and play a lot of RPGs; and I'm pretty sure the one before DQ8 was Grandia 2. Quite the contrast, heh. Of course, DQ games are weird in that the church is always the same, but they change who God is.

Anyway, definitely following this one, OFS. How are you recording it? There're a couple of PS2 games on the list I was thinking about LPing, but wrote it off after our backwards-compatible fat PS3 got the YLOD last year and we had to replace it with a slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

The origin of it as an 'official' name is that there was a demo disk in the US that plopped you down in the middle of the game, and the hero had the default name of Eight.

Ahh, was that it? The story I'd heard was it all started with the NA version manual, since they use "Eight" as the name of the save file in there (just pulled my copy to double-check). There's no DQ8 spin-off material like a manga series, and the only other explanation I've ever heard (that "Eight" was on the Japanese collectible figurine's box) isn't true either. :shrug:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He's a really excellent antagonist--which, come to think of it, is something the DQ series has always been pretty good about.

Yeah, they're simplistic but effective. One of my favorites (and I like to think is a factor in DQ3 consistently being one of the top-ranked JRPGs) was Zoma, purely for the fact that he's a lazy troll. He's invincible and controls darkness, so he just gradually covers the world in it and chills in the castle he builds a stone's throw away across a river from the biggest human city. When Alefgard's creator tries to stop him, he turns her into a statue and makes a mock shrine out of it. When he finds out there's an artifact that can actually counter his powers in another world, he sends one of his minions to take care of it. Literally everything Erdrick does to defeat him could've been avoided if he'd bothered to try harder.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

ddegenha posted:

All except 6 and 7. Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy were some of my earliest games as a kid.

:hfive: Copy that.

DQ3 (well, "Warrior" at the time, heh) was my favorite game for a long time, probably until Final Fantasy Tactics. I made a point to play it once a year, trying out different stuff each time, like the all-Goof Off party and such. It's kind of sad that DQ9 obsessed so much over the post-game dungeons and bosses; I really wanted it to take 3's place but just couldn't stick with it. :(

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

ddegenha posted:

Reading this thread just gives me some warm nostalgic feelings about this game. I had a blast playing it, but an attempt at a replay didn't go so well..

It's funny; I kind of had the opposite experience. I played it the first time and really struggled to finish it (mostly since I'd made lousy decisions with skills), then played it again ~2 years later and enjoyed it so much I did the entire postgame, plus all the miscellaneous stuff related to the named monsters OFS pointed out. ...haven't played it since, though. :sweatdrop:

And yeah, I hear you about the ship. Really, my favorite part of the gameplay of old-school JRPGs is getting to the areas just above where you're supposed to be, so you really struggle to win but you still can (as opposed to just being steamrolled by impossibly high numbers). I think if somebody made an Etrian Odyssey that was more DQ and less Wizardry it'd be gold, heh.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Int used to determine how much MP you got when you leveled up (and for some of the games, it some factor of it was your magic evasion chance too). Basically the game rolls a small die where the median number is based on your Int, and you get some number in that range. If you played DQ4, that's why Mara and Brey got consistently more MP than everyone else and the gap only got bigger at higher levels.

In DQ8, it affects the probability of you getting good rolls. Jessica's spells are more likely to roll higher damage (but still can't exceed the cap of the spell she's casting) or inflict whatever status effect like Sleep she's trying than anybody else. I don't know if it still applies to magic evasion anymore, though.

Nice to see I'm in good company with everybody else who sold their starter gear before finding out about the Alchemy Pot. :(:respek:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Ehud, yes. With all the lame Bible games out there, it's a shame the Book of Judges never got one; there's a lot of great material. Also [late in] that book was a passage detailing a civil war that erupted between the tribe of Benjamin and the other 11. The book calls out 700 slinger snipers who would "sling a stone at a hair and not miss," and every single one was left-handed. They were so devastating out in the open that the rest of the Israelites eventually had to lure them out and take their city out from behind them.

...and ended up killing so many of their countrymen that the surviving Benjamites had to abduct women from a neighboring tribe just to repopulate. That's the Iron Age for ya.

NullBlack posted:

May be apocryphal, but I prefer it over other explanations (seriously, wiping hand? That's just stupid.)

But true, at least in some renditions of Islamic teaching.

So how's the Pokemon coming along, Sheep? :D Half-prod, half-serious question, I haven't played one since SoulSilver (and that was mostly for the "Pokemeter" since I was trying to lose weight :v: ).

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Tae posted:

I don't understand what people mean by squeaky sometimes, because I've been pointed to a few voices that they think are "squeaky" and they were Shion of Xenosaga and Alicia of Valkyria Chronicles.

All I know is I rented Warriors Orochi 3 without knowing it wasn't dubbed, and it was unbearable.

LP is still great and thanks for the heads-up about DQ Heroes. Man did the PS4 start looking great recently.

And I was meaning to reply to this from 2 months back and completely forgot until right now:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just as I finally take screenshots and ready the videos it turns out that a Pokemon thing for which I have been waiting for four years happened.

:swoon: Clearly I quit playing two generations too early.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Yeah, the thing about "super" gear in RPGs is that, as long as it's optional, all it can do is make the game easier (because the game can't be balanced around the assumption you have it, since some players won't). And for simpler games like DQ, you always focus on offense first, since that makes you deal with fights faster and more reliably. I mean, if you're not getting characters dropped in the first place, who really cares that you'll survive another couple hits? Armor has to be stupidly effective like Mario RPG's Lazy Shell to change that calculus.

Brunom1 posted:

The added damage on Metal Slimes is also a time saver! :v:

Also this. :sweatdrop:

As for magic brass #2, no preference. I went with the Sage's Stone last time (since it was so essential in DQ3) but they're all useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Even the Lazy Shell is questionable if you can get a perfect Ultra Jump.

Isn't the Super Suit Mario-only? Or am I thinking of something else? Regardless, I was never good enough to get the 100-hit-jumps or however many it took. :saddowns:

Shiki Dan posted:

If your goal is to speed up grinding on Metal Slimes, then the Meteorite Bracer is definitely a higher priority than the Sage's Stone.

Yeah, that's a good point. And when you're not fighting metals, it's still a good item to put on Angelo to make sure you can heal up before somebody gets dropped.

Man, I'm trying to remember the Goddess Ring and it's coming up blank. Maybe I didn't get the 6th piece last time I played or something.

• Locked thread