Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

CmdrKing posted:

I'd played DQIV, so I picked it up for its own sake and the FFXII demo was just a nifty bonus. As it turned out, that demo convinced me to not buy FFXII! Meanwhile DQVIII convinced me to buy the DS versions of IV and V. Funny really.

You missed out. The demo for FFXII was execrable, and the full game was brilliant.

I loved how DQVIII had a great world map with beautiful places to explore. The art assets go a long way to making this a masterpiece, but it's also just so refreshingly old-school without ever beating you over the head with it and without being afraid to take a risk now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

CmdrKing posted:

I picked up the game much later when it hit bargain bins, but only played a couple hours (like basically went out and fought Rogue Tomato, then saved outside Rabanastre). My biggest issues from the demo were still there (ATB being tortuously slow, enemies respawning too fast) so I shelved it. I've considered going back to it and employing degenerate power leveling tactics to speed through the game better, but so much to play, so little time, you know.

Oh man, you didn't even unlock the actual combat system. I hear FFXIII takes 60 hours to get there, FFXII takes a much more reasonable but still unreasonable 5 hours or so on your first playthrough.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Forks have tines.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Sexism is over.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Fionordequester posted:

EDIT: Also, it's hilarious to me how the VERY first thing Jessica does after that big argument is put on this outfit that shows off like, all of her cleavage, like she's deliberately giving the biggest middle finger she can think of to her Mom and her "traditional" ideas. Even if it is obvious what the REAL purpose of the costume change was.

Are you sure it's okay for you to be looking at that?

George
Nov 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

Luckily by the time DQ8 was a thing, so was GameFAQs. You didn't have to buy a Nintendo Power Player's Guide to get skill info or anything. :v:

I remember when this came out there was some conflict about the alchemy FAQ being plagiarized from a guide, so it wasn't available on GameFAQs. I had to follow a trail from the forums to get to it.

George
Nov 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

Yeah that sounds like the kind of thing the GameFAQs community would care way too much about. Who cares where the info came from, I don't even read the usernames, just let me look up how to make an Uber Falcon Blade :colbert:

It wasn't the community, it was the owner of the guide yelling at the site administration. I forget if this was before the site went corporate.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can deal with that because alchemy can also make you horribly rich.

The problem is that it also demands you run around in circles a hell of a lot.

You need to get a rubber band, son. Running into a corner still counts!

George
Nov 27, 2004

Silegna posted:

Then we have FFXII, with it's blatant padding, with areas that are "The Gods training Grounds".

Yo, this is ridiculous. FFXII has some padding to make a 60-hour game 120 if that's what you're into, but after the first few hours the game has so much respect for your time it's ridiculous. No battle transitions, no random encounters, no unskippable cutscenes, no slowly scrolling text. Some people don't like the gameplay, but it didn't loving waste any of your time unless you are grinding chests or getting the Tournesol the hard way.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

I assumed it was a typo and he was talking about FFXIII, since 12 doesn't really have an area you could call "The Gods training Grounds," while 13 certainly does.

Yeah I wondered about that but the rage I feel when people talk poo poo about FFXII blinded me to the details.

Seriously, few games have ever respected my time as much as FFXII.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I don't want to derail this DQ8 thread with my FFXII adoration any longer but Basch is a really really good protagonist and while the game rips a little too much off of Star Wars and that monomyth rubbish its political drama is actually interesting and it subverts enough conventions from both to get a pass. I really like the story.

George
Nov 27, 2004

As JRPGs solidified into a more and more streamlined experience of mildly interactive anime it was wonderful to start up DQ8 and feel a sense of adventure again.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Edvarius posted:

Although him being a guard as suggested by that flashback makes his confusion at the bar brawl a bit odd. Even if he was fairly new to the job you'd figure he'd have had to break up one of those things at some point. That or Trode's kingdom was the most boring place ever until Dhoulmagus came by to wreck everything.

You're all starting to read a bit too much into a comedy beat.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Liking Dragon Warrior was for hipsters back then. I remember RPGamer's review being more about FF7 than DW7, although that may just be my memory. You were a graphics whore if you played a 3D game.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Also their instant food selection is on a level you cannot comprehend.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Fionordequester posted:

Hmm...that's true. I guess the game's not saying that religion is bad so much as it's saying "be careful of the Church. You never know what's going on behind the scenes." And that's...a pretty fair assessment actually xD.

Churches in video games are usually just the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages. Because it's an easy way to put complex politics in your fantasy game, I suppose. I think it's probably the least offensive appropriation of Christianity you'll find in Japanese video games.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Seaview Church is my rest stop of choice throughout the rest of the game. There's a warp point, a save point, and a free inn all close together; you don't need to pay to sleep ever again unless you have to wait until after dark for some reason.

Yeah, I did the same thing. I wish I'd known about the top of Morrie's, because it was also where I ran into a corner doing alchemy forever.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I always just assume OFS is working on a low-level run in a thread I'm not following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

Even though he's a dick I for some reason never fantasized about beating a child's face in.

• Locked thread