Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Welcome to Let's Play Peek-a-boo!

So, what is this?

This is SSLP (Screenshot let's play, for you forum noobs!) of the popular game, peek-a-boo. Despite being initially targeted at toddlers, today the game has a great deal of adult fans, myself included. I have a great deal of nostalgia for this game; it was one of the first games I ever played, and I still love it. I was actually pretty surprised to learn that a fairly substantial set of people have not only never played it themselves, but have no idea what it even is, so I thought: "What better way to share a game I love than via the medium of let's play?" and here we are.

So how will the LP work, then?

I'll try to get out fairly regular updates, with a few "turns" per post. Of course, some of you may know that peek-a-boo is a game for two players - this is where thread participation comes in. I'll be playing the part of the "peek-a-booer", while the thread [collectively] will be playing the part of the "observer". Text in bold indicates words spoken by the peek-a-booer, while text in italics indicates extra commentary on the game. So without further ado, let's get started!

Updates
Update 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Thank you to Scrub Lover

Scrub Lover posted:

Oh drat, I did some fanart for this game a while back. Figured I should share it ITT:

yeah actually they will fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 21, 2014

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Update 1

Where am I? Where have I gone? Ohh, where am I?

Here I've started off in the covered position, although I've heard of some who start exposed before moving to covered. I always prefer starting this way, although it's really up to the players.

Peekaboo; I see you.

What th- where did I come from there!? Yep, that's me, suddenly appearing. This effect is at the "core" of the peek-a-boo experience.

Uh oh, where did you go? Hello...?

...and gone again. At this point the most experienced players will have begun to notice a pattern, but even most veterans will just be looking around blearily, annoyed and confused at the sudden lack of visual stimuli.

There you are!! Peek a boo.

Here most players will be pretty firmly in their comfort zone - they can see what is recognizable as a human face, after all, and that's not likely to change. This is one of my favourite parts of the game, however...

Huh? Where've I gone now? Where are you? Where are youuuuu?

Gone again!? It really is great fun to see the person disappearing and appearing again, but I feel some people can dismiss it out of hand. There is [well, can be - it depends on who you're playing with, really!] a surprising amount of depth to the experience, as you'll soon see:

Peekaboo. There you are. Brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr. brbrbrbrbr.

As you can see, I've added to the core experience by making fun noises with my lips and throat. While some purists deride this as being against the spirit of the game, most non-spergs agree that it's both entertaining and aurally stimulating, allowing the player to have fun without even realizing they're learning.

Next time: Update 2!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I may have been a bit harsh on your last LP, but this one is off to a roaring start, 5'd and excited to see where this goes. Hoping we can get to one-eye covered territory eventually

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Cant wait for part 1.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

poo poo. Already posted. Sorry I dont have object permanence yet.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Catching a case of the oldschool nostalgia feels. This is great!

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

no they will not posted:

Update 1

Here I've started off in the covered position, although I've heard of some who start exposed before moving to covered. I always prefer starting this way, although it's really up to the players.

Peekaboo; I see you.

What th- where did I come from there!? Yep, that's me, suddenly appearing. This effect is at the "core" of the peek-a-boo experience.

...and gone again. At this point the most experienced players will have begun to notice a pattern, but even most veterans will just be looking around blearily, annoyed and confused at the sudden lack of visual stimuli.

Here most players will be pretty firmly in their comfort zone - they can see what is recognizable as a human face, after all, and that's not likely to change. This is one of my favourite parts of the game, however...

Gone again!? It really is great fun to see the person disappearing and appearing again, but I feel some people can dismiss it out of hand. There is [well, can be - it depends on who you're playing with, really!] a surprising amount of depth to the experience, as you'll soon see:

As you can see, I've added to the core experience by making fun noises with my lips and throat. While some purists deride this as being against the spirit of the game, most non-spergs agree that it's both entertaining and aurally stimulating, allowing the player to have fun without even realizing they're learning.

cant wait op

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
lmao

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

just in time for halloween!

my wheelhouse
Nov 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is a legal move or if it will trigger anyone that isn't as advanced at peek-a-boo, so it's given the spoiler treatment.

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006
I hate to be that guy, but it may interest you to know that I suffer from PTSD as a result of people appearing and disappearing in front of my very eyes. Do not let the uncontrollable giggling and drooling fool you, I am terrified and I would appreciate a little more sensitivity in the future.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Oh god, this was one of my favorites. I'm glad someone is at last giving it a proper LP. :allears:

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

Budget Cop posted:

just in time for halloween!

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
This poo poo belongs in traditional games reported voted 5

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
op youre cute

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 31, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i remember when this forum used to care about recording quality, what did you take this with, a 2.5megapixel cell phone camera

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I'm normally not a fan of scarecams but you make it work.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i was hoping you'd post more hotline miami, but this is great too, op

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
As someone without object permanence, I will be following this thread. Subscribed.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I remember back in my childhood, when I played this game, I had loads of fun

will you show off the secret endings though

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
There's nothing in half of those images, OP? Did you gently caress up?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Specifically these ones.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Dude you're doing emptyquoting wrong, the post you quote isn't supposed to be empty.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

This game has some sick boss fights

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Woah, just in time for Halloween. If you release another update I sure know what I'm doing tomorrow night.

Never managed to beat this game as a kid, looking forward to a full play through.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vicas posted:

i remember when this forum used to care about recording quality, what did you take this with, a 2.5megapixel cell phone camera
This is a really old game, it's only natural that the graphics are bad. Don't blame the LPer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh god, this game was awesome. Definitely looking forward to when you when you get to "who's a good boy? YOU are! YOUS a good boy, yes you are!"

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Will you be playing the sequel, Got Your Nose?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

A SSLP of this game really misses out on a lot of the atmosphere and tone of the game. You just can't get a feel for the character motivations from just pictures.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:stonk:

...Weh...Wah...

...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :cry:

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

g0m, I know you are relatively new to Let's Play, but we do not like derogatory terms like this here. We are an inclusive forum. Thankyou.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Will you be attempting the "Jingling Keys" DLC at some point? I could never manage to beat it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

no they will not posted:

Update 1

Peekaboo; I see you.

idgi :confused:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's a Let's Play, are you sure you belong in this forum?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I could never wrap my head around this game. It always seemed overwhelming to me, so I'm looking forward to gaining a deeper understanding on the complexities of the game thanks to this in-depth analytical LP.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh god, this game was awesome. Definitely looking forward to when you when you get to "who's a good boy? YOU are! YOUS a good boy, yes you are!"

Let's Play goon tries to make joke, inadvertently reveals that his childhood caregivers treated him as an animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Hah, this really brings me back to my first time playing with my baby brother, right before I hid in the closet while my dad beat the poo poo out of mom, god rest her soul. Looking forward to the next installment, cheers.

• Locked thread